The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Good Analog Delay Pedals?
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Head

Good Analog Delay Pedals?

Hi, I am looking to make my next pedal purchase and I have decided I want to get a delay pedal. I don't know much about delay pedals, but I know what I want the pedal to be like.

1)I want an analog delay
2)I want to be able to trip out my signal and make cool effects by messing with the knobs, as well as a warm sounding delay for 'normal' use
3)I want it to be true bypass
4)I want it to be reasonably priced

Hopefully some of you can give me some cool ideas about what to check out. Also off topic question. True Bypass Tuners? Yay or Nay?
Old 23rd August 2011
Here for the gear

I think you'll have to pay a bit for all those features. Most of the older analogue delays aren't true bypass (not necessarily a bad thing). Your probably looking at a mxr carbon copy or something similar if that's what you want. Personally I've had my Arion SAD-1 for years and I think it's great, the buffer is pretty good also, great value for money. My favorite for tripped out sounds is actually the guyatone md3 digital delay, really good oscillations and a nice clean but not at all sterile sound. Build quality isn't up to much so you just have to nurse it at gigs a bit.
Old 23rd August 2011
Here for the gear

MXR Carbon Copy fulfills all of your criteria. Some pedals may sound better but are either really expensive (Diamond Memory Lane) or are not true bypass. Carbon Copy is a good sounding little pedal. Only thing it doesn't have (that is important to some) is tap tempo.

No need for a true bypass tuner IMO. Boss TU-2 is one of the industry standards and is buffered but has a good buffer. Check out thegearpage.net for much more info on this but the consensus among many there is that you should put a high quality buffered pedal at the end of your chain (like the tuner) which will drive the signal well through your cable run. Putting buffered pedals at the beginning of the chain (for instance before overdrives) may decrease pick dynamic sensitivity.

Just like for everything related to guitar tone though...grain of salt. Use what sounds good to you.
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

not 100% analog but they sound sweeeet, man:

strymon » El Capistan dTape Echo – Tape Echo Delay Effects Pedal
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Maniac
+1 on the MXR Carbon Copy. Great sounding analogue delay.
Old 23rd August 2011

+1 on MXR Carbon Copy

OR even better Aqua Puss delay from Way Huge. Recently re-issued.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Nut

get the ehx memory boy. its much better suited for making crazy analog sounds than the carbon copy. it has a sophisticated modulation section that's missing from the carbon copy. as a straight up analog delay it is adequate but not great (i prefer my vintage memory man pedals).
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

here are some cool ones.

Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Head

mad professor deep blue delay !

Mad Professor

sweet, incredibly clean for analog. Hand made. Sturdy.

hope it helps
m_o
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Nut

Keeley modded Ibanez AD9

Robert Keeley Electronics: AD9 Analog Delay
Attached Thumbnails
Good Analog Delay Pedals?-ad9bottom.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Hands down winner for me would be the Moog Moogerfooger MF-104Z delay. You can use it on any audio source without signal adaptation. You can time sync it or create crazy patterns using a CV signal. You can control all of the settings via Control Voltages or foot pedals which allows for DAW automation if you have the gear. You can patch it into a synth or other moogerfooger pedals to share setting controls. It gets amazingly beautiful feedback and has a sweet analog sound.

Negative: That being said... I don't own one because it is so damn expensive! (I do own some less expensive moogerfoogers, but the delay price was redonkulous...)

Practical vote: MXR carbon copy

Sounds very analog and sweet to me. I would really like to have CV foot control on the feedback and time sync capabilities, but not enough to drop all that doe. I think the MXR is really an awesome pedal for the money.
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
Hands down winner for me would be the Moog Moogerfooger MF-104Z delay. You can use it on any audio source without signal adaptation. You can time sync it or create crazy patterns using a CV signal. You can control all of the settings via Control Voltages or foot pedals which allows for DAW automation if you have the gear. You can patch it into a synth or other moogerfooger pedals to share setting controls. It gets amazingly beautiful feedback and has a sweet analog sound.

Negative: That being said... I don't own one because it is so damn expensive! (I do own some less expensive moogerfoogers, but the delay price was redonkulous...)

Practical vote: MXR carbon copy

Sounds very analog and sweet to me. I would really like to have CV foot control on the feedback and time sync capabilities, but not enough to drop all that doe. I think the MXR is really an awesome pedal for the money.

oooh i've always wanted to try the moog, but it's so expensive. the clips i've heard sound great though.
Old 23rd August 2011
Behringer VD400 is an analog BBD pedal for ~$25. Can someone explain the drawbacks to a cheap ass pedal like this? I seems like, being legitimately analog, it could do spacy endless repeating ambient stuff decent enough.
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallysmooth View Post
Behringer VD400 is an analog BBD pedal for ~$25. Can someone explain the drawbacks to a cheap ass pedal like this? I seems like, being legitimately analog, it could do spacy endless repeating ambient stuff decent enough.
As you said, it's cheap ass. There's no telling if it'll hold up

Here's my Ibanez AD9 that I paid $20 for back in 83 or 84, which wasn't cheap then, and it still gets used today
Attached Thumbnails
Good Analog Delay Pedals?-ad9.jpg  
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post

The MoogerFooger delay is worth every dollar I paid for it. I've even mixed records with it on the lead vocal!

It's pretty sophisticated. You can create some far out, unique sounds with it. The ext. loop sounds wicked with an Octavia patched into it.

Highly recommended, despite the steep price tag.
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

The reasonably priced is what's going to throw you here. Bucket brigade chips are not cheap.

Sure...the Carbon Copy is "OK"...but, I took mine back. Just not good ENOUGH, IMO. This is my fave:

Amazon.com: Retro Sonic Analog Delay Pedal: Musical Instruments

But, at $300 for a pedal I'd use once in a blue moon as a special effect? Ehh...not worth it to me. KSP8 tape head delays are better for me, because I can pan them away from the original signal at mix. Or not.

Oh...but, if you just want the crazy oscillation sounds and a little slap...the Carbon Copy is fine.
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Guru

have a listen to the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy.
Old 24th August 2011
I have used some nice delay pedals. I have owned both the t-rex replica sold it then bought a Tc vintage delay(which are the same pedal). I loved the sound and the tap tempo. Recently I had to sell it. After being bummed out, I remembered my girlfriend had a old Dod fx90 analog delay pedal that I thought was broken. I tweaked it for a couple days and finally fixed it by tweaking the trim pots inside. I thought hell its dod so it must be crappy. I was dead wrong and could not believe the tones of this delay pedal! Come to find out it has the same MN3005 BBD chip as the highly prized Boss dm-2. It has a extra dark analog delay tone and can create some real unique oscillation sounds.

Here is the best part, you can get them on ebay for $50-75. Kills the Mxr carbon copy (I have used one) search for it on youtube for some cool videos. Although I can make it sound better because I increased the delay times with the trim pots to almost 700ms!(you can make it longer but it gets lo fi past their)
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

And those are digital.
Old 24th August 2011
Here for the gear

I really like the delay pedals from malekko. My e600d is just super drippy and has great oscillations. Also check out the echo nugget and time warp delays from crucial audio. They are tube analog delays and sound amazing!

Sent from my DROID3 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu6gr8 View Post
The MoogerFooger delay is worth every dollar I paid for it. I've even mixed records with it on the lead vocal!

It's pretty sophisticated. You can create some far out, unique sounds with it. The ext. loop sounds wicked with an Octavia patched into it.

Highly recommended, despite the steep price tag.
No!!! Forgot about the external loop to add effects to the delayed sounds without altering the original sounds... Must not search ebay... Must not... mu6gr8! What have you done??!!!
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

Check the Strymon El Capitan. Absolutely beautiful sound for a digital emulation of tape delay.

strymon » El Capistan dTape Echo – Tape Echo Delay Effects Pedal
Old 24th August 2011
I've been kind of underwhelmed by the carbon copy. It's serviceable, but I wish i had spent a bit more on something a bit more inspiring.
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

+1 on malekko
also, if you want to run it with your synths, as DAW insert, look at stuff from radial, etc. that matches the level and impedance or else it's gonna be more annoying than cool

ps. i've had some issues with moog pedals, they are noisy and pickup radio signals ... BUMMER
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear
There are a lot of flavors and solutions to analog delay, from the cheap plastic of a Behringer knock-off with low headroom Coolaudio chips, to the pristine response of a Yamaha 1010 or Ibanez AD202. We'll assume you want a stomp box (although rackmount is cheaper for what you get) and we'll assume that you want a real analog delay (which lets out the DBD, the Earthquaker, the Strymon, the Eventide etc-those are all digital with high quality low pass filters that can emulate analog). Not a lot of choices left in your price range:
1. Straight 300 msec delays: the AD9, DM2, CC, Aquapuss-all similar characteristics. The newer ones tend to have less headroom and be a bit harsher as they're running the coolaudio chips. An old DM2 in rough shape would be MN3005 based and be available for less than $150 and they're easily repaired.

2. Weird stuff like effects loops, modulation and tap tempo: only one at your price range, the Deluxe Memory Boy. Also Coolaudio, but lots of bells and whistles and less than $150 used. It's the way I'd go if I was you...

If you can step up the available cash either find a Moog 104z or the Deluxe Memory Man with Tap Tempo.
Old 24th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Bucket brigade chips are not cheap.
You could get 10 Behringer BBD pedals for the same price as a carbon copy!
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Nut

I highly recommend the Maxon AD999
Old 24th August 2011
dsl
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_oceano View Post
mad professor deep blue delay !

Mad Professor

sweet, incredibly clean for analog. Hand made. Sturdy.

hope it helps
m_o
The MP Deep Blue is digital - Sounds great but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
I highly recommend the Maxon AD999
This & Diamond Memory Lane 2 are great
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

Boss DM-2 and DM- 3 (longer time interval possible) is a v ery cool analog delay pedal, especially the DM-3 is sick when it comes to do really freaked out stuff
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

Check out the Red Witch Titan. Plenty of scope for trippy effects with the 3 delays in parallel or series, and the effcets loop on the 1st delay

Red Witch Analog Pedals - Titan (part 1) - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search