The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone else NEVER change guitar strings?
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear
electric: new every session/gig. buy em by the case.

acoustic:
- if elixers, they sound great for a few days, good for a few weeks
- if martin SP, they sound AMAZING for about an hour

electric bass:
- fender J: brand new strings don't start sounding good for about 6 months, change em when intonation starts going funny after a few years. keep several sets of strings lying around corroding (new old stock for when it's time.
- fretless zon: every few months if i'm busy with it

upright bass: never. so expensive! i'm going on about 10 years on a set of corelli 370s, and i can feel the G has a couple spots where i have worn through (!!!). it's time.

only instrument i hate changing strings on is the nylon string. damn my stubby sausage fingers!!! oh that's a good day for the swear jar.

p.s. and true, it should fit the song, but i've never regretted having new strings on and i have many times regretted the dull sound of not putting on new ones. i do have a tiny little 000 sized yamaha that has crusty old strings on it & i'll never change em cos it sounds perfect
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Addict

The strings on my Gibson EB-0 bass, flat-wound nylon, are probably forty years old and I absolutely love the sound. Yeah, I probably last changed them around 1970 or so. My other basses have round-wound strings and get changed maybe once a decade, although I think I went about fifteen years with the set on an acoustic-electric bass. But they started rusting and that was the end of the line for that set. One of my classical guitars had strings nearly 30 years old until one finally broke. A cheap $50 Yamaha, 30 year-old strings, and that was by far my favorite classical guitar. It took a long time, and trying several different sets of strings, to get that guitar to sound right again. Gawd, I how I hate new classical strings. My electric and acoustic guitars get new strings quite often for many of the reasons already noted by others. It's just my humble opinion, but it seems to me that there's something about flat-wound nylon bass strings and classical guitar strings that allows them to age quite nicely.
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

I change my guitar strings when I am going to record. If I don't record, I will keep them on unless they start looking nasty with when you start to see the strings getting black.

Bass guitar strings are changed about every month unless I am doing a session and need the bass to be brighter. But hey James Jamerson for his sound never changed his strings. But then again, he had a dead sound on his strings. No brightness at all.

Acoustic guitar strings need to be changed when they loose that sound.
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

surprising to see so many people are content to play out of tune.

I cant stand it. Sensative ears i guess.

TK
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
surprising to see so many people are content to play out of tune.

I cant stand it. Sensative ears i guess.

TK
That's what I've been saying.. I just spent $250 on one of my gtr's to have a new nut and fret finishing and neck adjustment on a Plek machine...
In the studio (really live too) I have to change for everything.. I hate dull tone.
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Addict

I used to but they tend to break 1/2 way through the 1st tune at a gig so now I change them more often .
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
That's what I've been saying.. I just spent $250 on one of my gtr's to have a new nut and fret finishing and neck adjustment on a Plek machine...
In the studio (really live too) I have to change for everything.. I hate dull tone.
Hey man, so you too are a Philtone customer?? Nice!

I take all my guitars to Phil Jacoby, he is amazing... His knowledge, skill, and the fact
that he has a PLECK, holy smokes. That is one damn fine setup.

TK
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hey man, so you too are a Philtone customer?? Nice!

I take all my guitars to Phil Jacoby, he is amazing... His knowledge, skill, and the fact
that he has a PLECK, holy smokes. That is one damn fine setup.

TK
yes.. I have a G&L strat I've had for years...Been beat on live and in my studio by me and others.. Needed some work. Hated the floating trem on it.
But on those you can't flatten it out like a normal Fender.

Phil made a little custom fit piece of wood to go between the bridge and body.. PERFECT!
Now when a client plays it and leans a little to much on the bridge it won't go sharp..
Or if you're live and a string breaks (never has happened to me live by the way) the other strings won't go out of whack.
But he cut it to fit around the bridge..So it's not glued if I ever sell the gtr and the new owner wants the Trem back.. did a killer job.

And that little piece of wood added so much more tone.. since the bridge, new piece and body connect better. I've sent many of my friends and clients to him for years..
He even plays our pedals..But that was the first time I got to use him myself..
I will be there again with other gtr's..
Old 4 weeks ago
ccg
Gear Maniac

It really depends on the guitar, at least to some degree.

J45 sounds weird to me with brand new strings. Like a different guitar...not in a good way. Settles down after about two days. Back to normal after four or five. Best around 10 days+.

Martins I've got don't seem to care. Standard few hours break in period to get rid of the zing. Sometimes I like new strings on an HD28. 80/20s on that one specifically though.

Go-to Strat seems to settle with older strings in a way I like. Teles and Les Paul I prefer strings on the new side.

Get to know your guitars and do what you like with them. Obviously when your intonation gets weird it's time for a change though. And if you're gigging or touring, every few shows seems to be the sweet spot. I don't like new strings the same day (on an acoustic) but sometimes you can't help it. Try it to sweat all over it for a few hours first if possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
ccg
Gear Maniac

Unwittingly just revived a thread from 2011. Ya'll can thank me later.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You just need the right guitar, and then you don’t need any strings at all. You just sing really loud into the pickups

You’re welcome,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Ya know I'm lazy lol if we're doing alot of shows I'll change them. My acoustic almost never I kinda like it a little dull for tracking.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Never. Before every session out comes the wd 40, spray the strings down, steel wool rub and presto! Nice bright tone with a scent of cod oil.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Never. Before every session out comes the wd 40, spray the strings down, steel wool rub and presto! Nice bright tone with a scent of cod oil.
DO NOT EVER USE WD40! That stuff is really bad news.

Change your damn strings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg View Post
Unwittingly just revived a thread from 2011. Ya'll can thank me later.
No. Sorry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Someone once asked Bernard Edwards (Chic bass player) what strings he used on his Musicman Stingray, his answer was "what string brand does a Stingray come with, again?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So I think what happens is the more guitars you have to wrangle, the less you want to keep brand new strings on all your guitars all the time.

Its like when you have one or two guitars, then its easy enough to change the strings on them all the time. Especially if you're playing them a lot.

Then you get like ten guitars, and you're in the studio, and its guitar tech time.

Then your back at home, and not playing all ten guitars all the time, and you kind of just keep strings on them as they get weird. At some point they get lots of dents in then from the frets, they don't ring true, and tuning gets dodgy.

But I am amazed at how long strings will last on a guitar that isn't being played. I have basses that have had the same strings on them for a really long time, and they are fine.

Same thing with my Rick 12 String. It has Pyramids on it, doesn't get played all that much, and the Pyramids just last forever.

But if I go to record with an instrument, I will use new strings.

I use Pyramids on a lot of my guitars though, and they definitely last way longer than Ernie Balls or D'Addarios, or anything like that. But I still change them to record.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Never say never... but it seems to me that if you dial in your tone for bright new strings, you are going to get unhappy with your tone very quickly. I use Elixir nanowebs, and after a day or two they stay stable for a few months. When I find myself having to tighten the bottom E every 3 or 4 songs, I know it's time for a change.
One time, I ignored this tell-tale sign, and after a few hours, the tuning issues became catastrophic - so I also make sure I re-string my backup guitar out-of-phase* with my main one

* I mean by weeks, not by musical frequency!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Last time a replace the strings was more then a year ago. I don't mind.

I might change before a special kind of studio session where I would like to hear more 'highs'. Mostly I don't, I just plug in and play.

Best,

RGH
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
Last time a replace the strings was more then a year ago. I don't mind.

I might change before a special kind of studio session where I would like to hear more 'highs'. Mostly I don't, I just plug in and play.

Best,

RGH
So you don't mind recording with a guitar that doesn't play in tune?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Well, if it would be not in tune, I would not play it and replace the strings. It sounds in tune to me. Live the same thing. I even recorded records with half year old strings. No issues for me.

Best,

RGH
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I still have the strings on my Gibson es335 that it came with when I bought it new.
It's an '06, I play it regularly - and it still plays in tune all over the neck.
I do feel a bit guilty sometimes though - I think that maybe it really deserves a new set by now.

Last edited by pitfall; 4 weeks ago at 12:53 AM.. Reason: capitol I, not i
Old 4 weeks ago
When i played live I changed the strings all the time, literally before every gig. Now it's only when I start to hear pickup warble, tuning issues or when they break, a couple of my lesser played guitars even have strings from the 90's on them! Actually they sound the best of all, nice and bright, great separation. Dunno what's happened to strings over the years the modern ones are far too muddy and wooly, seems the whole push for jazzy "warm" sounds has impacted the humble string in a bad way, too much nickel or something.
Old 4 weeks ago
ccg
Gear Maniac

Wow, I thought we were talking about waiting a few months...maybe six...as NEVER changing strings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Dunno what's happened to strings over the years the modern ones are far too muddy and wooly, seems the whole push for jazzy "warm" sounds has impacted the humble string in a bad way, too much nickel or something.
Yeah, what's going on? All this "vintage" crap is ruining music.

I blame .............. well, hmmm, I don't know yet, but there must be someone who caused it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
As you're there for his LP /Marshall overdubs and hear the bad notes, kindly post a link to the mix.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I agree with various posts. Of my 25 or so guitars, I historically hardly ever change strings unless they break.

I tend to do fresh os installs and new buildouts of my daws every year or two. In the 70s, I'd get in that mode with a few of the guitars that I was using on endless 7-night-per-week gigs. You know....take the strings off just so I could get in there between the pickups etc to give a good cleaning.....made me feel like a cleaner, shinier guy.

I have on occasion, purposely re-strung an acoustic guitar that was about to be featured on a track.....only to listen to the eventual mix and think "wtf, that wasn't necessary at all".

I have, this past year, been in a new-guitar buying mode. Each has arrived, gone direct to my tech for new strings and setups....back into their cases...and.....will likely never see newer strings again.

By the way, my tendency from about 1968 thru the 70s was to also not trim the strings at the pegs. Just let em curl and fly in the wind.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I agree with various posts.
Quoteworthy. Thanks.

Best,

audioforce
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Quoteworthy. Thanks.

Best,

audioforce
Hahahahaha.....and guess who around here will say my statement is wrong.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
By the way, my tendency from about 1968 thru the 70s was to also not trim the strings at the pegs. Just let em curl and fly in the wind.
Less than a year ago I was in the middle of a setup and a guy's string let loose and caught me in the forehead. Blood everywhere. The other options being first aid and/or an apology, the guy dives down to keep his pedalboard from getting dripped on.

Clip your damn strings, folks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search