The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How attach pedals to your board? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

How attach pedals to your board?

Has anyone come up with another way to attach pedals to their board other than velcro? For one thing I don't like putting velcro on my pedals, this can also lower resale value, should I choose to sell them later.

I also want to be able to move pedals and change their order sometimes, so no screw down or other permanent methods.

Any good tips appreciated.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
While velcro is one of the better ways (and chances are whomever buys the pedal will have a pedal board to put it on), you can also use:

Zip ties - will work on most pedals; you'll have to drill holes in the pedalboard.

Bicycle chain links - by taking these apart, you can unscrew the 4 screws on the bottom of your pedal, screw the link in, and then screw these to the pedalboard. Someone sells these on eBay. Haven't tried them.

i've thought of all these, but I like the versatility of velcro if I want to take things on and off or switch order, but understand your concerns.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Whats wrong with velcro?? If you use self-adhesive velcro in good quality, you can remove it without any problem - even after years. I'm not aware of any better solution.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

My pedal board is plywood. I drill holes in it and attach
pedals with wire ties. I like this because it's cheap and I can easlily reconfigure the board.
DT
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

velcro doesn't lower the value. I have bought plenty of used pedals and was happy I didn't have to buy more velcro since it was already there. Also, it's so easily removed if you really need to.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions for alternatives to velcro.

I don't like velcro for a few reasons:

First, It can lower resale value of the pedal. Notice I said "CAN". It depends on who's buying it from you. Now true, many pedals you can just take the velcro off, but there are a few like my phase 90 where it has some foam on the entire bottom and removing the velcro would be more difficult.

Also, I find most peeps want to buy gear that has absolutely no changes from the original product, even the smallest scratch or piece of velcro and the price goes down. This is even more true when trading it in to a music store.

Another point is that velcro can come off (the glue side) in really hot weather. So it may not be as secure as some think it is.

You often have to remove the little rubber feet on the bottom of pedals, to make the velcro work, and I would probably lose them if I did that. Plus I like leaving the feet on because it better supports the pedal.

Some pedals can have various info on the bottom of the pedal and velcro will cover this info should you want to read it at a later time, and can tear it off in some cases if it's a paper label, if velcro is removed.

Velcro picks up all kinds of lint and hair and this is messy, I don't like.

Some of these things are obvious, such as putting velcro over a paper label, but you would be surprised how many peeps just slap the velcro wherever, with little thought.

I'm looking for ideas for a better way (IMO) to attach my pedals to my board. So if your stuck on velcro, then that's great. I'm looking for another alternative.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

try picking up some pixie dust at guitar center
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been very satisfied with this product:

Godlyke Power Grip pedal attachment material

However you may have some of the same objections to it as you have with velcro.

Mmmmmmm, pixie dust!

Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

Just use the velcro, man. If it leaves goo, use Goof-Off brand adhesive gunk remover available at Home Depot. Nobody cares if the pedal you're selling has velcro. If they want it bad enough, they'll buy it at the price you want. To me, pedals are made to be stepped on, and treated and traded accordingly.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search