The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Installing EMG 81 into Dean VMNTX (problems) Studio Headphones
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Installing EMG 81 into Dean VMNTX (problems)

I'm trying to put an EMG 81 Active Pickup into the bridge slot of my new Dean VMNTX (Dave Mustaine's Signiture V), and I have a few questions that I would like to clear up before I actually solder the puppy in to save me some trouble.

The black wire that comes out of where the 9v battery gets connected is supposed to be soldered to the output jack of the guitar according to the instructions on emg's site...however it seems as if the neck pickup is already connected there on my guitar, and I want to leave that how it is so question #1 is: With these EMG's, do you HAVE to connect them to the output jack and if not where would I attach that wire?

Question #2 is: If I DO have to solder that wire to the output jack, what do I do if it won't reach? The wire is very short and it won't reach through the hole in the first place...can I extend it somehow using another wire?
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Ok so after looking closer I noticed that there is a yellow wire that is not attached to any pickup, it in fact goes from one of the volume/tone knobs up through to the output jack so I soldered the black wire to that yellow wire on the pot. I then soldered the wire from the EMG 81 onto the correct bridge knob, popped in the battery and wooweee it works!

Only isssue is it's extremely noisy, which I'm guessing is because I did a poor job soldering?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is it correct that you are combining an EMG with a passive (neck) pickup?

If so, there are some considerations you should make.

1) The Emg's volume pot should be a 25K pot not a 500k pot
2) The tone pot should be 25k as well for the emg. You'll have a couple of options
a) no tone for the bridge pickup
b) install a 25k tone pot and have no tone pot for the neck
c) source a (hard to find) stacked/ganged 500k/25k pot so each pickup has it's own tone control but it is controlled by the one knob using the existing hole

Back to the EMG,

(From memory) you have the white core of the shielded wire that goes to the hot of the 25k pot

The shield needs to connected to the ground (output jack sleeve)...be careful when soldering the shield, you can easily melt the white wire and end up with no output.

The loose red wire goes to the battery red and the black battery goes to the output jack ring

One of the features of an EMG system is that the tailpiece/bridge does not need to be tied to ground....so depending on how that's set up right now, you may have hum with the emg or with the passive pickup.

I don't know about a yellow wire, is it a tapable/splitable emg (like an 89) or is that from the stock dean wiring?

The rest is as before, vol wiper to toggle, toggle to output tip and tone pot wiper, tone cap to ground.

I really would consider going active for both pickups if you keep the emg in there, way less headaches....

Andy
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search