The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5150 CAB scratchy and brittle ? Ribbon Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

5150 CAB scratchy and brittle ?

So I have a 5150 half stack here head and matching cab , the original unit and have been recording it lately on some stuff . Does anyone find the cab itself is a bit cold brittle and harsh sounding , it sounds tight but there is the real hi end scratch tone/frequency around 5 k that I always have to notch out when mixing . I had an older Marshall cab here once and did a test pass with it , big difference no annoying brittleness to it , mind you the marshall cab was Older and was a touch less punchy , tired speakers maybe but sounded warmer overall? I am doing metal of course but I find that using the line 6 plug in is more desirable at this point . I can get the 5150 work in the mix but when you have to do a bunch of post eq to make it sound good shows there is a fundamental problem with the cab . I Even notice the same thing with some IR's of the 5150 cab done by someone else. Time to get a Mesa cab i think I have done lots of other recordings with Krank and Mesa cab , or a Marshal TSL with a mesa cab - etc , all sounded great !
Old 29th December 2010
A few tips:
-Bias mod & properly adjust your power tubes. This really, really helps to get rid of the high end "fizz".
-Go to Tubes geared to your sound - Doug's Tubes & order the 5 preamp tube "tone kit". It really helps to improve the versatility of your amp's tone.

Above all, for recording, ditch the 5150 cab. The Sheffields just have that upper-mid spike you've discovered. I run my 5150 through an Orange 4x12 with V30's & it's awesome.

Also, mic choice is vital. A 57 would be a horrible choice to record a 5150 cab. Try a ribbon mic or maybe a 57 with a pulled transformer.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you for the tips and link as well !! Yes the Sheffields are horrible . Now I remember the bands that i saw live when using this combo , it punched through but always had that annoying rizz spike.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Not to talk you out of getting a Mesa Cab, but why not replace several speakers in the 5150 cab with V30 or a V30 and 12T75 for recording.

Also, depending on your budget, try to budget a ribbon. A Fat Head or if you can swing it a r121. Mixing a ribbon and a 57 can be really nice.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiffer View Post
Not to talk you out of getting a Mesa Cab, but why not replace several speakers in the 5150 cab with V30 or a V30 and 12T75 for recording.

Also, depending on your budget, try to budget a ribbon. A Fat Head or if you can swing it a r121. Mixing a ribbon and a 57 can be really nice.
Too late I just bought the Mesa cab ! sounds great , def has gotten rid of most of the fizzy hi end rizz . It still is a bit brittle , just a micro amount so perhaps the tube mod may help later on . I actually dig the tone of a 57 on a cab that 45 degree angle always works for me Sometimes with the 421 . I have tried stuff in the past with a R121 but that was with the 5150 cab , so I will have to try it again with the mesa . I usually try to get the tone with just one mic now - sounds the tightest to my ears . Thanks for the tips guys !!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search