The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Popping out a dust cap
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Popping out a dust cap

Hi all. Recently I built a 2x12" birch guitar cab. I ordered some vintage 30s and hooked them up to test them out before i continued working on the cab. They worked fine and sounded pretty good but over the holidays, my nephew, who is 4, stuck his fingers into the dust caps on both speakers. Didn't puncture them, but smushed them in. Now Im noticing a weird metallic clanky sound at the end of each note. For instance if i palm mute and mute the the note stecatto style theres this sound as if theres a spring reverb (my amp has no reverb at all). This sound could be attributed to my new NOS Svetlana tubes as well. its not QUITE as big of an issue because I almost always use an iSP Decimator to tame the noise. BUT i would REALLY like to fix these speakers before i finish with the cabinet and tolex it. Thanks guys!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

2 things I can think of:

1) fold some duct (or otherwise sticky/thick) tape and stick it to the dust cap and gently pull it out.

2) vacuum hose - attach THEN turn on and once it's pulled out, turn vacuum off, then pull hose away.

If either of those don't work, you could try a pin, tho you will perforate the cap.

I wouldn't expect the inverted dust cap to affect the tone, but - stranger things have happened!

Good luck!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks Plughead. I think Ill try out the duct tape method tomorrow and see if that works. Should have thought of that myself though! DER! haha thanks for the response again though.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Even if you don't get the dust cap all the way out, just a bit more clearance will help with the cone noise. Now concentrate on wrangling four year olds.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

haha yeah that problem has already been taken care of. I put in a temporary screen for the time being and stapled it down so that there wont be any problem. and next time i know my sister's kids are coming, you can bet that cab will be moved/hidden or put somewhere else!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Popping out a dust cap

lol

Welcome to life with children ( at least sometimes)!

The main reason my studio is off-limits to my young ones (3 boys!) is to keep gear from their grubby, destructive grip!

Glad it worked out...

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search