The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Miking nylon guitar Dynamic Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Miking nylon guitar

I have been trying to record spanish guitar but i dont very much like the results.

Attached is the sample. Gear used:

2 AKG perception 170
Roland mixer (m-10dx)
Cubase as software.

I feel the voice of th eguitar is very thick , please give me ur feedback. No compressor used, slight reverb and palyed a bit with eq on cubase.

Thanks a lot

Rafik
Attached Files

Trial mic high-01-0001.mp3 (1.32 MB, 1294 views)

Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hello,

I couldn´t listen your guitar in a recording monitor but I don´t feel it very thick. And not too bad, depending what is for or your taste. Problably need more compression.

About eq, when you record with this kind of mic the guitar use to be very sweet. I prefer a fuller sound with a mic like akg 3000, akg 414 (eq) or sm57. Some people use two kind of mics, sm57 and akg 170, so it is sweet and full at the same time.

If you record with only akg 170, probably you must eq if you want a rough sound. Probably you must try to increase medium frequencies, as 1k or less 250 mhz. Don,t be sure about it because I am not enginer, only musician.
Old 30th December 2010
If you feel the sound is too thick or dark, move the microphones back from the guitar. The closer you get the boomier it will be. For classical guitar I start with the mics no closer than 42 inches. I don't know those mics you have but experiment with the distance
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I love love love a 57 on my nylon. never would have thought to do it - was in a rush one day and wanted to print an idea and the 57 was already up . . . rocked my world!!

I also use a pair of 184's for some solo stuff. just did a tune too w/ a pair of u-195's and it was pretty darn good . . .
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search