The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best bass guitar below $200 for home recording??
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

best bass guitar below $200 for home recording??

Hey all,

I record at home through a MacBook Pro and an M-Audio FireWire Solo interface. I record guitars but want to add some bass so I can start getting a better understanding of how bass and guitar work together. Although this will only be used at home for my own pleasure, I do want the absolute best bang for my buck.

I am going for a simple but unmistakeable clean tone. Nothing fancy just that good ol' bass sound with no pedals. For my amp I will just be using the virtual amps in Logic. I have been looking at the Squier P Bass and the SX P Bass copy, too.. but I have no idea of the pros and cons of each.

I have no brand preference at all. My 3 main concerns are:
- sounds good
- stays in tune
- comfortable to play

What bass under $200 is the best in these three regards? I should also say that if I buy new, it will be online, and if I buy used it will most likely be on craigslist.

So what do you guys recommend??
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Does it really matter that it stays in tune considering you're just recording and even the worst basses can stay in tune for an hour?

If you want the cheapest possible, I say you buy a knock-off P-Bass, and change the pickups. Shouldn't cost you a dime over $200.

Find them here:

Rondo Music Bass Guitars
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just picked up an SX short scale Jazz bass. For $200 it is a great value. It will need to be set up though.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

You could look at rondomusic.com

Or watch for a used Mexican P or bass

cheers
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Those Rondo/SX J and P basses are great for the money.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

A used peavey foundation or a yamaha rbx would be my recommendation. Some of the older ibanez sr800's or sr500's are also nice but possibly out of your price range. They are hidden gems for sure but sometimes need a little bit of work on the pickups or a complete swap.
Old 29th December 2010
js1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
A used peavey foundation...
Ridiculously cheap, play and sound great.

js
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Unless the pickups are broken, they will all "sound good" IF (big if) played well and intune (intoned?). So, your factors are, does the bass have adjustable saddles to set the intonation, and can the neck relief be adjusted to make the action comfortable and correct buzz. Also, you could throw in short scale vs. standard for comfort. Whatever bass you buy, make sure those things are addressed and it should work in that price range.
There are a couple of camps on string age. Lots of bass players prefer old as dirt strings (talking about neeever changing them, ever, like 10-20 years ever). And some genres love the shiny pingy-ness of new strings.

In the used CL world, patience is a virtue. I scored a Fender Mustang bass RI for $250 (one of the strings buzzed and he said "something" might be wrong with it, took me all of 30 sec to fix , at my house of course). That won't probably happen for me again, but it may for you
I am a very biased Fender person, that's all I've ever played, (amps, elec. piano, guit., bass) so I would say get anything but a squier from Fender.
You can easily score a mexican pbass for $200 with a little haggling.
Update us on what you get, i'm curious!!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I started in the $200 range and used the Squire P-Bass but eventually moved up a bit to the Squire Vintage Mod Jazz which is around $300 and the sound is so much better and it plays better too. The Duncan pickups sound much better. The cheap P-Bass sounded dull. Was going to slap some active pickups in it just for fun but gave it to my kid neighbor instead.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

i've owned a GSR200 4 string bass, pretty nice bass for the money...
change the stock strings and you're fine
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromDenver View Post
In the used CL world, patience is a virtue. I scored a Fender Mustang bass RI for $250 (one of the strings buzzed and he said "something" might be wrong with it, took me all of 30 sec to fix , at my house of course). That won't probably happen for me again, but it may for you
I bought an American-made Fender Musicmaster Bass for $300 off CL. That felt good. Refinished, though.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

When discussing budget gear that's BFYB, we have to mention Yamaha. Their RBX series is in your price range.

Edit: should have read Igotsoul4u's post!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I played around with 79_Limited's SX bass - and it IS tough to beat for the cash for something new (I also have an Agile - also from Rondo - and it is awesome).

That said - check used.. I bought a MIM P-bass for $200 off C-list.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Bought one of the $100 short-scale basses from Rondo. I've been impressed. Wide range of tones, neck seems fine, stays in tune. Granted, I'm just a guitar player who doesn't like MIDI/Key bass in my little sketches so I pretty much just pedal eighth notes on the root but it has served my purpose for purchasing it well.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

A few years ago I bought Peavey Milestone IV I think it for $150. For basic basslines it works great.
Old 4th January 2011
+1 for a Yamaha bass.

They're too expensive for you new, but maybe a used BB414 or similar is a good idea. It's a superb all-rounder - has both P and J tones, is very well made, easy to play, and reliable. Even though I'm a Fender P-bass guy I've still kept mine, with flatwounds on, ready to go if I need something a bit different.

I think you're getting more bang-for-your-buck with something like that than a low-end Fender/Squier or whatever... but YMMV.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

rondo sx p-bass sounds nice and plays nice once you set it up
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search