The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Guitar; Active to Passive
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Acoustic Guitar; Active to Passive

So the singer in our band plays this pretty beat up old Fender dreadnought acoustic. It's only a cheap thing for on the road and lately we haven't been using it a lot because it's not been set up right, old strings, lots of buzz etc etc

So i took it in, gave it a bit of TLC, new strings, sorted the intonation out but it's got this built in tuner. Everytime we do a gig, and it gets tuned up -- it always ends up never getting turned off, which runs the battery down.

When the battery is run down, not only does the tuner not work but the pick up workings inside of the guitar do not work either and there's no output.

So i was wondering, is there anyway of like bypassing it all and just having a true passive acoustic guitar?

i THINK it's a fender dg-14sce

cheers
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Sure, you could disconnect the active pickup and replace it with a passive pickup. The K&K Country and WEstern sound great in my Taylor and it was less than $100 installed. You probably don't want to spend even that much? You could try disconnecting the internal preamp, wire the pickup straight to the output jack and see if you could get by with a preamp pedal like the Tech 21 ParaDI. I'm skeptical but it might work. You could just unplug the guitar from the cable whenever you're not playing it, which automatically turns off the tuner and the preamp. That said, if it drains the batter in a single show, the preamp is probably shorted out anyway...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search