The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass amp or DI box: Dub/Soul Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Bass amp or DI box: Dub/Soul

Quick question for you guys:

I just bought my first bass for home recording, and I'm trying to decide if I should get a small amp or just a DI box to go straight into my mixer/ recorder.

I'm using a P-bass with flatwounds, and the projects I'm working on mainly involve old Jamaican dub and Stax soul type sounds.

I don't plan on playing live for the foreseeable future, but I am interested in learning and practicing. I play a bit of guitar and I'm really enjoying coming up with bass grooves.

I don't have a lot of cash to spend and since I live in Japan I can't really handle a large amp.

Right now I'm considering the following options:

1) A Sansamp Para Driver DI: go direct into the board for recording and play through my studio monitors/headphones for practice. I also have Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3, so a quality DI might be nice.

2) A Phil Jones Bass Cub. The most expensive option, but it seems to offer a lot.

3) An Ampeg Micro VR head. I figure I could use the direct out for recording, headphone out for practicing, and add a cabinet some day if I want to play with other musicians.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm leaning towards the DI at the moment as I will mainly be using this for recording.

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'd instead get a Radial JDI or the active J48 DI. Will be great for bass and is small. From there you can mess with GR3 once it's in the box. You don't need to process the bass in a pedal/DI and then reprocess it again.

It's also nice and small; for most gigs that have a PA with subs, you could show up with that and be good to go. they are bulletproof and built to last.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not sure about the para-driver.. but the regular Sansamp Bass Driver DI covers a lot of ground and can sound very good.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Avalon U5 is my personal bass DI favorite. Perfect for super deep and clear tone. Nice and thick too.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Bass amp or DI box: Dub/Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
The Avalon U5 is my personal bass DI favorite. Perfect for super deep and clear tone. Nice and thick too.
That looks sweet, but a bit out of my budget I'm afraid.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

just saw this. All the other homebrew stuff sounds sooo good. Can't imagine this won't be awesome

Homebrew Electronics Hematoma Bass Pre Overdrive
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search