The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fat Sound Guitars demo videos Dynamic Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
  #1
Fat Sound Guitars demo videos

Have you guys watched any of these Youtube demo videos? They are pretty much guitar tone porn really, particularly some of the amp demos. Even via Youtube they sound great.

They have a really talented person playing, and they are well recorded with a mix of a close direct and a room mic. All amp settings are shown for each sound demo'd.

YouTube - Matchless Avalon 30 - Fat Sound Guitars
YouTube - Carr Artemus Fat Sound Guitars amp demo by Greg V.
YouTube - Retro King 18 Watt Combo amplifier demo by Greg V.
YouTube - Top Hat "Super Fat" Deluxe 1x12" - Fat Sound Guitars
YouTube - Reeves Amps Custom 12 PS demo by Greg V.
YouTube - Tungsten Créma Wheat - Fat Sound Guitars
Old 26th December 2010
  #2
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

I'm so glad to have some pro help to my savage, attempted hackery :-)

Youtube takes these demo clips around the world to places you might never guess. It's way bigger than I sure ever imagined.

It's almost a must do thing now for any builder to have
clips ready to hear on their web pages.

Clips that do the amp justice are hard to come by,
so we're fortunate to have some pros pitching in
to give these amps a good going over.

James' Amp Fest 2010 gave us another view into just how many fine
offerings there are out there.

For the guys doing these clips, it's actually quite enjoyable
to share the discovery of hearing something new.
Old 28th December 2010
  #3
Here for the gear
 

You Should See the Store...

Seriously... these guys have a great shop in Cary, NC. Have you checked out their website? Fat Sound Guitars it is gear heaven in there. They have some of the nicest boutique stuff out there. And the staff is insanely knowledgable about all things guitar. I wish I had $100,000 just to spend it in their shop (I'm sure they wish I did too!!!) I don't work there and as of yet I haven't bought anything from them. They just have a great shop that I have had the pleasure of going in several times.

Rock on!!!
Old 28th December 2010
  #4
My mom lives in Cary. I should have hinted for a $100,000 gift certificate from there for Xmas :-)
Old 29th December 2010
  #5
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

I've heard lots of good stuff about Stu at Fat Sounds.

They would have to pry me away from the Collings section
of the store.
Old 13th March 2011
  #7
Gear Nut
 
steverino's Avatar
 

I'm loving that Matchless Avalon... drooool....
Old 13th March 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
AfterViewer's Avatar
 

Fat Rules! Great InfoThread! thumbsup
Old 13th March 2011
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I'm loving that Matchless Avalon... drooool....
Yeh, that's why I put that one first. I figured it would get people's attention. It sounds stupidly good.
Old 14th March 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Yep, their demos are great sounding, with tasteful playing and SICK gear. The 3 Monkeys Orangutan is my favorite, along with the Xits small combo. Damn them for making me want more guitar amps!!!!!
Old 17th March 2011
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Been there a couple of times to have some work on a Taylor 12 string done. Definitely a porn shop. Expensive slutty stuff.
Old 17th March 2011
  #12
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Yep, their demos are great sounding, with tasteful playing and SICK gear. The 3 Monkeys Orangutan is my favorite, along with the Xits small combo. Damn them for making me want more guitar amps!!!!!
Has the Blackstar worn out it's welcome yet? :-) I was this close to getting one myself but recently scored a Mesa Road King. It's awesome.
Old 17th March 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Has the Blackstar worn out it's welcome yet? :-) I was this close to getting one myself but recently scored a Mesa Road King. It's awesome.
I love the Blackstar, but it is SOOOOO loud - for studio recording, I literally can't be on the same floor with the amp and get it to distort without going deaf....selling it actually to get the 1x12 3 Monkeys combo - I can at least get that to break up and keep most of my hearing. heh
Old 18th March 2011
  #14
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I love the Blackstar, but it is SOOOOO loud - for studio recording, I literally can't be on the same floor with the amp and get it to distort without going deaf....selling it actually to get the 1x12 3 Monkeys combo - I can at least get that to break up and keep most of my hearing. heh
try a power attenuator? I believe the Blackstars have some built in power reduction too.
Old 18th March 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
try a power attenuator? I believe the Blackstars have some built in power reduction too.
The Artisan doesn't have any attenuation - I may go the route of an attenuator if I can't sell it for a decent price, as I do really love the sound. But it is seriously loud - as in - I am afraid to open it up with a ribbon mic in front of it- kind of loud. Ordered a 3 Monkeys Orangutan red suede combo today....psyched to get it! From Fat Sound.
Old 18th March 2011
  #16
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
The Artisan doesn't have any attenuation - I may go the route of an attenuator if I can't sell it for a decent price, as I do really love the sound. But it is seriously loud - as in - I am afraid to open it up with a ribbon mic in front of it- kind of loud. Ordered a 3 Monkeys Orangutan red suede combo today....psyched to get it! From Fat Sound.
oh I thought you had a Series One.


You around this weekend? I am calling you to catch up. heh
Old 18th March 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
oh I thought you had a Series One.


You around this weekend? I am calling you to catch up. heh
Cool, I am around.
Old 18th March 2011
  #18
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
My mom lives in Cary. I should have hinted for a $100,000 gift certificate from there for Xmas :-)
Weirdness. My brother and his family live in Cary. I was hoping to make a visit to FSG but we were snowed in while I was there. Surely it would've been magical.
Old 21st May 2011
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I'm loving that Matchless Avalon... drooool....
yes!! it sounds really sweet with nocaster, and it seems he prefers using SM7b, is it warmer tone than using SM57?
btw, Im going to get a matchless or bad cat.
Old 21st May 2011
  #20
If you look at the comments on some of them, he uses an SM7B up close, and then puts a condensor out in the room somewhere. He just walks around while playing and finds a nice sounding spot and puts the mic there. So it's a mixture of the two mics assuming he consistently does it that way.
Old 22nd May 2011
  #21
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

It may be a good idea to let local stores and builders know if your your studio
is willing to help put together quality demos for a reasonable price or just
for fun and curiosity.

If you can add a recognized player who will attract attention, all the better.

My goal this year is to improve the fidelity of any new demos, but
I'm still fighting with moving my set-up upstairs and getting my head around
Logic Pro enough to do the gear justice.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
keybdwizrd / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
6
keybdwizrd / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0
keybdwizrd / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
keybdwizrd / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump