The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi Z and cable questions. Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Z and cable questions.

Of course, I own one of the few amps with a hi z effects loop, an orange rocker verb 50. My question is will 2 30' cables from my pedalboard for the effects loop be too long cable run for hi z? I admit I don't really comprehend the need for hi z. Any advice would be appreciated. It was suggested on the orange forum to put a boost pedal as the first pedal in the chain after the amps send. The first pedal currently is a TC electronics nova delay, which I was told was hi z. After that is a regular old beat up mxr phase 90.
Old 23rd December 2010

I think the common wisdom is not a booster but any pedal with a buffer at front and back of chain.

I am remembering this from something Pete Cornish said in an article (something to the effect that "yes, even Boss pedals have decent-enough buffers to do the job"

I am sure someone else will chime in here re the need for a booster... I have never used that much cable in a loop before
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

With a 30 ft run from the amp and then another 30 ft, you'll want at least one active bypass device. otherwise a 60ft passive run is a bit long.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search