The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flying with, or shipping vintage guitar to Europe?
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

Flying with, or shipping vintage guitar to Europe?

Hi all,

I'll be flying with Turkish Airlines from Indonesia to Europe in February. Apart from my normal luggage I'll also be carrying a vintage 1966 Fender Jazzmaster that I've purchased in Jakarta. What is the best way of transporting my instrument? Should I bring it as carry-on baggage? As normal baggage that goes into the cargo hold of the airplane? Or is it safer to ship the guitar from Indonesia and not fly with it at all?

Any thoughts, tips?

Thanks!

Peet

Last edited by peet; 17th December 2010 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

i'd ask to take it as hand-luggage. If it's not possible, check it in as special luggage and let them know how valuable it is. In any event, contact the company berforehand.

Cheers
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet View Post
Hi all,

I'll be flying with Turkish Airlines from Indonesia to Europe in February. Apart from my normal luggage I'll also be carrying a vintage 1966 Fender Jazzmaster that I've purchased in Jakarta. What is the best way of transporting my instrument? Should I bring it as carry-on baggage? As normal baggage that goes into the cargo hold of the airplane? Or is it safer to ship the guitar from Indonesia and not fly with it at all?

Any thoughts, tips?

Thanks!

Peet
I've taken non-vintage guitars with me to Europe and across the States. I've done it both ways: hand luggage and shipping it. Both have pros/cons. Hand luggage is my preference though - if something happens, I feel like I'm more in control. I have also seen people buy a seat for their cello so maybe do that for your axe!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Get an ATA approved case and spend the money. I've been lucky to take my telecaster onboard flights and put it in the jacket closet in first class (by asking very, very nicely) but with more stringent security, you may have to check it.

Do not scrimp and do not get a normal guitar case - spending $300 should be almost a minimum. Make sure as well the neck is adequately supported.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

I would call ahead and make sure the guitar could be approved
for carry on for the entire route. If you cannot get those arrangements
etched in stone,

I'd ship it, insured for plenty in a high quality flight case WITH LOCKS.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
First off, get something indicating clearly that it was built before 1975. That fingerboard is likely brazillian rosewood, and if you can't prove it's "antique" they can take it away and keep it forever! The CITES treaty is not fooling around any more.

If you're changing planes, you just don't know if you're going to be able to keep it handy. Fenders are pretty durable guitars if protected from temperature/humidity extremes and physical trauma. I'd ship it ahead with UPS or Fedex, fully insured, double boxed with either a flight case or hard foam insulation 2" thick outside the case and the guitar, with strings slacked, packed into the case with newspaper.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks everybody for your replies.

The CITES treaty...I hadn't thought of that. I have documentation and a photograph of the neck date that proves the guitar was made before 1975 though.

I would prefer to travel with the guitar as carry on, and keep an eye on it, but if the airline cannot give me a guarantee that I can take it on board with me I'll ship it ahead. That seems to be the safest option.

Peet
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

I flew with a Jaguar in a Fender padded gig bag just recently. Just hold onto it when you're boarding, and after people have put their bags up, you should be able to sneak the guitar above other people's bags. I think this is the safest way by far because there shouldn't be any movement up there and you're in control of your axe.

Also, since the guitar stays in the cabin the temperatures will not vary too much during the flight. The cargo section of the plane can get really stupid cold during flights.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

take the neck of

I would take the neck of and put in a carry-on bag.
cheers, - Buzzgrowl
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzgrowl View Post
I would take the neck of and put in a carry-on bag.
cheers, - Buzzgrowl
Yeah, I thought about that option too...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yea, neck off is easy and far less likely to incur damage that way. Lot easier to pack too.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet View Post
Hi all,

Any thoughts, tips?

Thanks!

Peet
Hey Peet,

In some instances countries have codes that don't allow wood items to be imported into the country because of insects that can live in the wood. We have also had customers that were doing recording and production work in other countries and had their cases fumigated with DDT (its still used in some places). For international shipping we have a proprietary composite panel that doesn't use any organic material, we also stencil "zero wood content" on the case so the customs agents will go a little easier on you. If you are going to be shipping the guitar frequently this is the method you should use. Real ATA cases are only expensive until your gear gets damaged in a cheap case! -Billy

LM Cases Custom Protective Cases :: LM Custom Protective Cases :: Where we build custom protective cases for any industry :: Protective Sport Cases, Protective Audio/Visual Cases, Protective Music and Instrument Cases, Protective Tradeshow Display Ca

blog.lmcases.com
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

I do fly dates a couple of times a year.

Rule no 1 for me is 'no vintage instruments'.

Seeing as you have to take it I would do the following.
Pop the neck and wrap it up with your clothes in your main suitcase.
Carry on luggage is never certain- mostly of the time I have had to check it.
Old 23rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Every time I have travelled with a guitar recently the people on the desk wouldn't check me in unless I put the guitar in the hold. Either that or I had to buy an extra seat for it.

I'd either take the neck of and carry it on, or I'd buy a really nice case and put it in the hold (in the UK Hiscox makes nice cases, don't know if they export them though).

Whatever you choose, make sure you have some decent instrument insurance.
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Nut

I did as some people suggested: I popped off the neck and carried the Jazzmaster in my main luggage. Everything went well. Thanks for your help. thumbsup

Peet
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search