The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear
Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?

I have a 1985 Marshall JCM 800 (50 watt head), and 1960 slant bottom (1982A 400 watt). All original.
I am considering selling, but not sure what it is worth?
Maybe it will appreciate in value if I keep it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-7a.jpg  
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you choose to sell, let me know. Not sure I'd take the cabinet, too hard to ship. But, the head, I'd be very interested in it. Consider any trades?

Oh, by-the-way, I would never consider selling!
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
If you choose to sell, let me know. Not sure I'd take the cabinet, too hard to ship. But, the head, I'd be very interested in it. Consider any trades?

Oh, by-the-way, I would never consider selling!
I know, I never thought I would consider selling it, but I don't play in bands anymore.
I hesitate to admit that I am considering simplifying and getting one of those Digi 11 racks.

If I did sell, I would want to keep it together....
I had a local dealer offer me $1000, and that is probably a fair price for a dealer to pay, but I won't let it go for that.
Maybe I should just keep it! lol
More pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dscn1106.jpg   Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dscn1107.jpg   Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dscn1110.jpg  
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Head

I've seen just the head go for ~$800 on Craigslist in Dallas
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I see the ****ty years (intro-85ish) of the twin channel 800's go for $1250 all the time in austin, tx. If you have a really good sounding 800 you could probably get maybe 1.5k or up to 1.8k for it. It is really hard to find a good 800 these days.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
I have a 1985 Marshall JCM 800 (50 watt head), and 1960 slant bottom (1982A 400 watt). All original.
I am considering selling, but not sure what it is worth?
Maybe it will appreciate in value if I keep it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
head is worth like 800 - 900 ebay -------- cab like 300 - 500 depending on where you sell it n ebay it's worth less ususally cuz no one want to pay shipping on it

the original older JCMs are worth slightly more from late 70s' early 80's. The later 2205s from like 1989 90 are very sought after they get big bucks

The cab is tricky, what speakers are in it? you could potentially sell the speakers seperate. Remember 80's celestions are UK made. The new ones are china garb. I had a 800 cab with 4 UK greenbacks. I got $125 each on ebay just for the speakers. Then sold the cab for $275 on craigslist so I got like 700 for the cab minus paypal/ebay fees. not bad

but to be exact, your stuff is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I would try to sell on ebay before selling to a dealer.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Maniac

true. the late 2205 are much higher value. that was what I was thinking of when i said 1.8k. I have an '86 2205 and its drive channel is literally the best I have heard. I would never sell my 2205. I am lucky I found it.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post

The cab is tricky, what speakers are in it? you could potentially sell the speakers seperate. Remember 80's celestions are UK made. The new ones are china garb. I had a 800 cab with 4 UK greenbacks. I got $125 each on ebay just for the speakers. Then sold the cab for $275 on craigslist so I got like 700 for the cab minus paypal/ebay fees. not bad

but to be exact, your stuff is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I would try to sell on ebay before selling to a dealer.
The cabinet back plate says 400 watt RMS...
I never really noticed in the 25 years I have owned it until now, I see that the head model has hand written 2204 in the corner.
It sounds awesome!
I am not 100% sure that I will sell it, I would if it was worth big bucks, bit I'll keep it if it is only worth a grand-ish.
I was suprised how much my old pedals are worth...I have an old Boss delay that a store told me they would pay $150 for???
I wonder if I hang on to this stuff too long, maybe with the new Digi 11 technology and amp modeling software getting so much better, maybe this stuff will be like when I hung on to my Tascam38 reel to reel ...or my Adats too long...they wind up being doorstops that you bought for a few grand and sell for a few hundred if your lucky.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Marshall 2203

Marshall is building the 2203 (100 watt version) in it's "Vintage Reissue" line. The street price is over $2K...

Dave/Suspect Studios

www.suspectstudios.com
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hmmm... I dont know if Id consider selling my JCM800 to pick up a Digi 11. In five years the 11 will be out dated and replaced in their line. The 800 will still be a top flight amp.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
Hmmm... I dont know if Id consider selling my JCM800 to pick up a Digi 11. In five years the 11 will be out dated and replaced in their line. The 800 will still be a top flight amp.
That's a good point.
But if I did sell off the big amp, I would need to find an alternative for recording.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hmmm... I know what you mean.

The 11 would be a pretty decent all in one setup, but there are maybe other options out there. Maybe the Axefx or a Pod, amp sim plugins, or a smaller amp for recording?
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
Hmmm... I know what you mean.

The 11 would be a pretty decent all in one setup, but there are maybe other options out there. Maybe the Axefx or a Pod, amp sim plugins, or a smaller amp for recording?
I am not sure, but I have a freind using the digi11, and I went to a digi 11 seminar where they demo's it, and I gotta say it sounds pretty damn good.
I have always been in the...get a great sound, and mic it...camp, but times are changing, technology keeps improving.
I 'll probably just keep the Marshall and continue recording the real way!
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I 'll probably just keep the Marshall and continue recording the real way!

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
I am again thinking of selling...
Pics attached...
All original, I am the only owner, I bought from Guitar Center when I was 17 back in 1985.
I may list in the classified or craigslist...just not sure what a fair price is?
If I lived in Vegas, I would bring it to those Pawn shop stars to tell me all about it before offering me $500 lol
Attached Thumbnails
Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dscn1106.jpg   Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dscn1263.jpg   Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dscn1261.jpg  
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
The G12H100 speakers are a bit unusual. They are significantly more powerful and have more bass than the G12-75 speakers that are usually in the later JCM800 amps. I'm not sure that that would have been the usual speaker cab to go with that amp, no reason to have 400w power handling for a 50w amp (maybe a bass cab that someone ordered and then never picked up). Anyway, as the original owner you can vouch for no mods, especially if you've got the receipts. I'd ask for $1500 if it were me...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

$1500 is a reasonable starting place, probably get 1300-1400 on CL.

There is a difference in vertical and horizontal input 800 amps, but sorry don't remember which is which
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
The G12H100 speakers are a bit unusual. They are significantly more powerful and have more bass than the G12-75 speakers that are usually in the later JCM800 amps. I'm not sure that that would have been the usual speaker cab to go with that amp, no reason to have 400w power handling for a 50w amp (maybe a bass cab that someone ordered and then never picked up). Anyway, as the original owner you can vouch for no mods, especially if you've got the receipts. I'd ask for $1500 if it were me...
more bass on a JCM 800 can't possibly be a bad thing, While I agree that those speakers are way overpowered for that cab, it would have been better with G12H25's or whatever low powered version they make.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Thanks for the input Guys...
I bought both the head and the cab at the same time...
Over the years I played in bands with other guitarists with 1/2 stacks, but I never seen one rated at the 400 watts.
Wasn't sure if this made it "rare" or worth more.
Damn, I never thought I would even think of selling it...life changes, dependants to support.
I was thinking about 1500 too....but if the 400 watt cab was worth more, I would want to get what it is worth...fair deal both ways is all I would want out of it.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I would say your cab is worth more than a standard, but also think that is priced in at $1500 total. The GT75 cabs go for about $350 on craigslist, and that's what I sold mine for a while back. So you could probably get $400-500 on CL for yours. You might get $850-950 for the head on CL. Ebay will be better but then you gotta deal with the fees and shipping.
Old 22nd September 2011
Quote:
Thanks for the input Guys...
I bought both the head and the cab at the same time...
Over the years I played in bands with other guitarists with 1/2 stacks, but I never seen one rated at the 400 watts.
Wasn't sure if this made it "rare" or worth more.
Damn, I never thought I would even think of selling it...life changes, dependants to support.
I was thinking about 1500 too....but if the 400 watt cab was worth more, I would want to get what it is worth...fair deal both ways is all I would want out of it.
In one way it's worth more because those heritage speakers are very desirable.
Though because of the wattage I would suspect that cab is VERY loud. Most players that I know who like JCM 800's like the breakup of a 100 watt cabinet, which yours won't do. However you might be able to get even more selling the speakers separately
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
In one way it's worth more because those heritage speakers are very desirable.
Though because of the wattage I would suspect that cab is VERY loud. Most players that I know who like JCM 800's like the breakup of a 100 watt cabinet, which yours won't do. However you might be able to get even more selling the speakers separately

When I was 17, 18 living at home, I used to enjoy watching things shake off the shelves when chunkin along something like Green Manalishi or Breakin the Law.
It's very loud, very awesome sounding amp.
I don't record alot of bands, occasional side projects that last a few months...but most every guitarists plugs into it for solo's, or it gets reamping use..hell, I might keep it and sell a preamp or something for some extra dough.

Good chattin with you guys..
Attached Thumbnails
Marshall JMC 800 half stack...what is it worth?-dsc00028.jpg  
Old 24th September 2011
I've had an 80's single channel 50 watt JCM 800 for years, I've never cared for it. I don't like they way the amount of pre amp gain and the eq interact. It's impossible to get any bottom out of the amp without cranking the pre amp.
I'm an old school guy, I've had Plexi's, Hylight era Hiwatts, and I take either of them any day of the week over a JCM 800. I bought mine for my studio, but since I got a Randall RM 100 I think it's been used once. The Randall does what the JCM wishes it could do, and with all of the different modules covers so many bases. I started following this thread thinking maybe I'd sell mine, but with my luck, that will be the first time in almost 10 years that some one says they HAVE to have a JCM 800.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I've had an 80's single channel 50 watt JCM 800 for years, I've never cared for it. I don't like they way the amount of pre amp gain and the eq interact. It's impossible to get any bottom out of the amp without cranking the pre amp.
I'm an old school guy, I've had Plexi's, Hylight era Hiwatts, and I take either of them any day of the week over a JCM 800. I bought mine for my studio, but since I got a Randall RM 100 I think it's been used once. The Randall does what the JCM wishes it could do, and with all of the different modules covers so many bases. I started following this thread thinking maybe I'd sell mine, but with my luck, that will be the first time in almost 10 years that some one says they HAVE to have a JCM 800.
I would have ro agree, I have a 74 MK ll just like the plexi type, that with the cheapest boss dist pedal, believe that is a DS-1 ? anyways that will smoke any other marshall head any day of the week, the 800s are give and take, some or really good and some suck, btw all the 900 suck butt. Also just picked up a Marshall TV cab and a new American Strat with the 59/62 pickups, I have the best sound I have ever had and thats been 20-30 years past.
Just don't know I could ever play those normal cabs anymore, I have been spoilt, this stuff is dope.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear
The early vertical JCM800 heads are worth a little more because the jacks are attached by flying leads rather than mounted to the PCB.

Marshalls are all different and you have to find the one that sounds good for your ears. I do like my JCM800 but more as a clean platform for pedals than an all out rock machine. It's actually cleaner, louder than my 100w JMP from 71!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search