The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ebow alternatives? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ebow alternatives?

Hello, I understand that an ebow will only move one string at a time. What can I do to generate infinate sustain with no attack on 3 or more strings at the same time?
Old 25th November 2009
The Fernandes Sustainer system is probably along the lines of what you're looking for.

Also, the new Moog guitar has a sustainer system built into it as well, though I haven't used it.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Head

There is also the sustainiac system. I'm only familiar with Ebow and Fernandes though. The Fernandes sustainer opperates as advertised, but doesn't have the same sound as an Ebow. Fernandes does allow you to pick and strum, so it'll take some technique to get the sound you're after. I'd use a volume pedal to avoid the attack and smoothly bring in the sound.
Old 29th November 2009
Engagement Manager

how about a bow!
worked well for some guy called jimmy page

Jimmy Page - Violin Bow Solo
thumbsup
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies. I did not know about any of these products. I was however hoping for a cheaper and easier solution as I need it for only one track. I'm trying to create a rythmic guitar track of infinate sustain going thru a vibrato. I don't want to hear any attack. It'll function like an arpeggiator synth track in the tune.
Old 29th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I did not know about any of these products. I was however hoping for a cheaper and easier solution as I need it for only one track. I'm trying to create a rythmic guitar track of infinate sustain going thru a vibrato. I don't want to hear any attack. It'll function like an arpeggiator synth track in the tune.
I don't know that you'll find a cheaper solution than an ebow - the fernandez is a great solution, as is a bowed guitar, and if you want an " arpeggiator synth track" sound - they an Adrenalinn III.

Old 1st December 2009
Here for the gear

If its only for a studio track, try recording each string separately with the eBow, then overdub. I don't really know of a cheaper solution than an ebow though, and if its for a live setting you can try a violin bow as mentioned above, but it'll be near impossible to play the middle strings.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. It is for a studio track only. think classic The Who synth tracks in the backround but with a guitar instead. I had considered having to record segments and then loop in the daw, but I wanted to keep it more organic. Stacking ebow tracks is an interesting idea, but the vibrato(1966 super reverb) is so erratic that I don't see how they would line up. I'm wondering if I could make a wider ebow type gadget that would do it? might be an interesting project.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
..Stacking ebow tracks is an interesting idea, but the vibrato(1966 super reverb) is so erratic that I don't see how they would line up.
Record seperate strings,mono group then send back out to the amp-with some sort of re-amp/DI box.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
Record seperate strings,mono group then send back out to the amp-with some sort of re-amp/DI box.
Damn that's a good idea - thanks
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

+1 on the Fernandez Sustainer.

Had one for quite a while.....pretty cool. These days I just crank the amps and stomp on the Dynacomp.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

How does an E-Bow work anyway? It is an alternating magnetic field fluctuating at a certain frequency?

There's lots of ways to excite strings, but under 10 I can think of that settled in to common use.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I remember playing around with some plugins that would do both the volume swell thing and various froms of tremolo and vibrato with smooth to sharp attacks. I think some of them were in N.I. Guitar Rig.

EDIT
At 17 seconds this guy is arpeggiating with an ebow...

Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
How does an E-Bow work anyway? It is an alternating magnetic field fluctuating at a certain frequency?
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is... basically a small electromagnet being switch on and off rapidly
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn that's a good idea - thanks
..pleasure greg-would love to hear the results..that method or otherwise,

F
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproc View Post
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is... basically a small electromagnet being switch on and off rapidly
Sounds like a great do it yourself project

I always wanted to try a compressed air nozzle blowing air over the strings, it'd have to be an electric guitar because the air noise would be too loud, but I wonder if that would make a sound that's useful, even to make a sample pad out of it. Just thinking out loud
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
..pleasure greg-would love to hear the results..that method or otherwise,

F
Will do. It'll take awhile as I need to get set up for reamping. Never did it before. Looking at redeye.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

What about using a little ipod headphone pod, screaming loud, and "strum" that over the strings?

If we knew what the frequency was out of the eBow then we could probably re-create it and send out to iPod-type headphones.

I like testing stuff, however my ToDo list is already too long ATM.
Old 4th December 2009
There are a few Slow Gear clones out there that will do it for you, or just use a volume pedal.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

will ebow work with harp?
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
There are a few Slow Gear clones out there that will do it for you, or just use a volume pedal.
While a volume pedal will remove the attack, it can not provide the infinate sustain that is my main objective. What is Slow Gear?
Old 4th December 2009
Quote:
While a volume pedal will remove the attack, it can not provide the infinate sustain that is my main objective. What is Slow Gear?
Slow gear is an old Boss pedal that would do the volume pedal thing automatically, kind of analogous to how an autowah pedal compares to a straight wah pedal. Pigtronix makes the best Slow Gear update these days, can't remember the name, ADSR I think, but they've coupled it with a nice compressor for extra sustain. It still won't do infinite like an ebow but it's a seriously cool pedal. It might be worth your time to listen to some of the samples on their site.
Old 4th December 2009
Look at this page for 'lazy sprocket', it's a much cheaper Slow Gear version but is an exact clone supposedly (never tried it myself)...
Pre-Built B.Y.O.C (Build Your Own Clone) Pedals at Axeandyoushallreceive.com
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

26 posts and no one's mentioned the Gizmotron yet?!?!
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproc View Post

Think about about how an electric guitar pickup works. Then think about how an electromagnet works. Now think about what would happen if you put an electromagnet in close proximity to an electric guitar pickup.

Hint: a buttload of hum. Note that an eBow does not produce a buttload of hum.

Ergo, it's not that simple an explanation. And I'll be damned if I know what a valid explanation for how it works is, though I've been asking for years.

There were some guesses in this thread
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/instr...-question.html
but no one seemed to know authoritatively, and the links to the patent didn't work.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

This guy shows how to make one... watch his several vids...

Old 21st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This guy shows how to make one... watch his several vids...

freaky that I just came across this vid after posting this one... uh... that's wicked game playing in the background.... trippy....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/instr...es-wilsey.html

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search