The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass guitar unwanted distortion??
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

Bass guitar unwanted distortion??

So I bought a new Dean 5 string bass a few months ago, been working well. Doesn't get used too much, but it has been good to me till now. I started getting distortion from it when used with a GTQ2 d/i into my 003. I have the input on the GTQ2 on low and the gain on the bass turned up, vice versa. The output gain turned down, up. I've basically tried just about every gain possibility I can think of. Opened the back of the bass up, changed out the preamp battery, looked around for any loose connections, recovered it and now I get no signal, but a super loud high pitch beep when the gain on the bass is turned up.

I'm just learning to play bass again, played a little when I was in HS, so I wasn't looking change out any components just yet unless they need it. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

So i got it to work great for 5 minutes before it gradually started to distort, then start cutting out then not play at all.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Guru

Bad battery, bad connection to battery, bad ground, bad or loose input jack.

Try another few guitar cables?

Run it into a normal amp.

Any chance your interface has a bad connection?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

If it worked for 5 minutes, then degraded again. That sounds like you replaced your battery with a bad one.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for the help guys. I replaced the battery again with another new. This one lasted for a good 30 minutes before it started distorting and eventually cutting out. Is this normal drain time for the battery? I didn't even bother registering it and now I'm pretty sure I might have a preamp problem. Any suggestions?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kno1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I replaced the battery again with another new. This one lasted for a good 30 minutes before it started distorting and eventually cutting out. Is this normal drain time for the battery? I didn't even bother registering it and now I'm pretty sure I might have a preamp problem. Any suggestions?
Use Alkaline batteries. The so called "heavy duty" batteries don't cut it. If you were going thru alkalines that fast, you probably have a resistive short somewhere that is prematurely draining your battery. Try a fresh alkaline (from a different package) with a good date, and check for hot spots. If your battery still goes bad in less than 100 hours, you've got a problem.
For extended battery life, I went lithium for a while, but the $$ per milli-amp hour didn't justify out. Lithium Ion rechargeables are peaking my interest, but getting re-chargeables to be worth it, requires a plan, to pull out batteries that are getting low, and stick them in something that will fully drain them before you recharge. Otherwise, you will prematurely ruin the battery. Even though it sounds like a hassle, I may still do it, but for now, am sticking with alkaline.
I'm not sure what your rig is, but my Bartolini and EMG stuff runs 18V ((2) 9V in series). If the specs of your electronics will tolerate 18V feed, you will like the additional headroom, however, it doesn't add much (if any) extra operational time. Just better headroom. (2) 9V in parallel would give you more milli-amp hours, but wouldn't increase your headroom. (4) 9V in series/parallel would do both, but would probably require routing. That is something I will probably do when I switch to lithium ion rechargeables.
I hope this helps.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Nut

Just an update:

I ended up communicating with Dean Guitar's customer service via email and the gentleman was very helpful and sent me a FREE preamp replacement, No questions. Plugged it in last night and played for a good 30 min, put it down for an hour w/ the jack plugged in, played again later...sounds brand new again! Very happy with Dean's customer service and back to learning to play.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear