The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone try the Vox night train CAB?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Anyone try the Vox night train CAB?

I was thinking about getting it as a companion to the Night Train.Was wondering if anyone has tried it.It has a 1X12 Greenback,but is also open back.What will i lose with an open back?
Can you do ok multi mic'ing a single 12" speaker?
I'm just waiting for a 20% off code from musicians friend before i pull the trigger.Thought i might ask how it sounds first
Old 12th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

I was at a local music store two days ago with a friend who I finally convinced to try the Night Train, and the salesguy un-boxed a brand new NT cab to use with it. I think Vox actually took care in building the perfect cab for this amp, because it sounded exceptionally good. The speaker wasn't even broken in of course, but it would probably sound even better when it was.

Quote:
What will i lose with an open back?
Perhaps a little low end punch, but the cab is so small I wouldn't worry about it. Also a closed back cabs are more directional, so the sweet spot for hearing the amp is narrower than with an open back. Open backs generally fill the room a bit more.

Quote:
Can you do ok multi mic'ing a single 12" speaker?
Yeah. Double micing a single speaker is quite common. One mic directly on the dust cap and another anywhere else. Whatever sounds best.
Old 12th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Btw, we were trying out one of Vox's small, white combo amps and it sounded like utter shit compared to the NT. My friend was trying to convince himself that it sounded great until I got him to try the NT. Such a great amp!

I'm eventually getting either the NT or a Fender that has both a great clean (should be easy to find) and a great distortion (not so easy). The NT already has both.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Sweet...You sure you don't work for VOX?First you convince me to get the NT,now the matching cab,,, jks
I did put the new tubes in the NT.I haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet.One thing i notice right away though is they glow a lot brighter.Maybe I'll mess with it some today.
Got a guy coming off Craigs list to hopefully buy my secondary CAB.Now if musicians friend would just email me a 20% off code like they usually do I'll buy the VOX cab.Maybe a Thanksgiving or black Friday deal.I have the $$$ anyway,I'll see if i can hold out though and use the x-tra $$$ saved toward a decimator pedal
Old 12th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroDano View Post
Sweet...You sure you don't work for VOX?First you convince me to get the NT,now the matching cab,,, jks
haha No, I just really like the NT. I'm gonna end up with one someday even if I get a fender amp first.
Old 29th March 2011
How are you guys getting on with your Night Trains after some time?
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Head

Lil Nightrain. Night Train 15 of NT50? A buddy of mine got one from Full Compass. The NT15 and V112 cab. It keeps up fine at practice.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear