The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend some coated acoustic guitar strings Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

so far I hate them all. But I haven't tried the DAddarios yet. Having moved to a southern coastal area, I find my guitar strings last about as long as it takes me to get them strung up and tuned, then they are corroded, so I'd like to find something.
Old 21st July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
so far I hate them all. But I haven't tried the DAddarios yet. Having moved to a southern coastal area, I find my guitar strings last about as long as it takes me to get them strung up and tuned, then they are corroded, so I'd like to find something.
I just moved to a new home in the mountains. Moved here from the city. I don't know what it is, the conditions of an older house vs a new apartment, the difference in fog, humidity, but my guitar doesn't stay in tune.

Readjustment time. Which sucks. I used to love setting up my guitar but now I start to dread it. I can usually get by with not setting it up for quite some time. But it seems to be in extreme need.
Old 30th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Christ View Post
elixir makes a phosphor bronze acoustic string now. they are a much warmer sounding string. my favorite acoustic string ever.
I've been using the Elixers for years. They are pricey, but they sound great, even after 6 months of playing. Can't say the same about other non-coated I've used.
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have used Martin Silk and Steel many times. Prefer them to Martn Lites, much smoother in both feel and tone.
Old 6th August 2012
Here for the gear

I had the D'Addario ones one time (light gauge, if i recall), and they retained their sound for ages. I don't think they sounded particularly great, but it was a pretty long time ago. If longevity is your concern, i'd say they're worth it, but if that's secondary, i'd say it's better to just change your strings more often. I like pretty fresh sounding strings, although the shimmeriness of brand new phosphor bronze strings is somewhat offensive to me.

Somewhat off topic, i put silk & steels (GHS brand) on my Taylor yesterday and mt first impression is they are lovelier by far than any other string i have ever used. However, i think it depends on the guitar (it's a pretty bright sounding one), and i can't report yet on their lifespan.
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlemke View Post
I like pretty fresh sounding strings, although the shimmeriness of brand new phosphor bronze strings is somewhat offensive to me.
+1, very offensive for most of the first day, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlemke View Post
Somewhat off topic, i put silk & steels (GHS brand) on my Taylor yesterday and mt first impression is they are lovelier by far than any other string i have ever used. However, i think it depends on the guitar (it's a pretty bright sounding one), and i can't report yet on their lifespan.
Havent tried the GHS, but Martin's silk and steels sound great for about three weeks and continue to sound good for a few more, then they really begin to sound dull.

I have broken a few G strings over the years with them.
Dont recall that any other string broke besides the g.
Old 8th August 2012
I just got a set of DR Dragon skins, they are coated, so far I like the tone but don't like the feel. It also seems like the squeaks are louder.
Old 8th August 2012
Gear Head

Elixers all the way for me
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

GHS makes one like this
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

I've been auditioning strings for my J45 and so far I like the DR rares although I'm going to try the Sunbeams as well. The Rare's sound clear without being bright and have a nice bass. So far I haven't liked the coated strings I've tried which are the Elixir nanowebs and Martin SP, I liked the Martins better but the B and E sounded a little muted on my guitar. I really liked the sound of the Gibson Masterbuilt but they go dead way too quick.

I still want to check out John Pearse and EXP's
Old 7th September 2012
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search