The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to choose an attenuator?
Old 24th October 2009
Gear Head

How to choose an attenuator?

Hi folks!

I've just received a blackheart little giant 5 watt head + 1x12" cab (the blackheart matched one)... I am really happy with the sound BUT, if i crank up the volume to get the overdrive/distortion, i get volumes from 100 to 120 dB!

A little loud for practicing and recording heh

So, I think the best thing is to buy an attenuator, but I am a total newbie with tube amps, how can i choose the right attenuator for my amp?

I'm in total confusion with watt and ohms
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

The most important thing is that it matches the speaker's ohm rating. That will be 2, 4, 6, 8, or 16 ohm.

Beyond that, there are a handful of attenuators. For each model, there are people that love them and people that hate them. The two that seem to pop up the most are the Hotplate and Marshall Power Brake.

Good luck!
Old 24th October 2009
Gear Addict

Get a Weber Mini Mass Attenuator. I had one and it worked great and I only paid $65 for it instead of $500 like some cost. Look on Ebay and Craigslist and if you can't find one you may have to order it from Weber as they build to order only.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search