The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for tips on recording a Bogner Uberschall
Old 8th October 2009
Here for the gear

Looking for tips on recording a Bogner Uberschall

All:

My company rents guitar amps to studios in Michigan. Since a particular studio, engineer, or player may end up with an amp that they have never used, I am going to include a "Tips & Tricks" sheet or booklet with each amp. I want to make the Engineer's job as easy as possible to get a great tone quickly and then spend time fine tuning vs. waste a bunch of time to get it started. The Uberschall is my first victim. It's a Revision Blue.

This is where you come in. If you had the engineer in front of you right now, where would you suggest they start? It could be a mic choice or combination, mic placement, cabinet choice, speaker choice, preamp ideas, amp settings, or anything else you think would be valuable. What comes to mind?

I do appreciate the assistance. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 9th October 2009
One thing that helps a lot with the Uberschall is to experiment with different combinations of channel and master volume settings - you can really alter the response of the amp by using different amounts of either control.

Also, keep the gain low and experiment with the "presence" knob, which actually operates more like a mid-sweep knob. Turn it clockwise for more mids and counterclockwise for a more scooped character.
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Addict

IMO the issue is more related to recording Hi-Gain than just recording an Uber. I've tracked an Uber often and it's really no different.

If the engineer has little to no hi-gain experience he's in for a real treat.

That said, maybe summarize Slipperman's rantings on recording metal gtr.
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Addict

Set all the controls to 1:00 & go from there. Very often you'll need to crank the mids a bit & back off the gain, but it all depends on too many things.
Old 17th October 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

On a related note I have this question -

I've heard the Uberschall on a few occasions and it is setup to sound one of two ways: either the most grinding, thick, tight metal amp ever, or completely the opposite with the most sterile cleans imaginable.

Can it do anything else? I'm not convinced.
Old 17th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
On a related note I have this question -

I've heard the Uberschall on a few occasions and it is setup to sound one of two ways: either the most grinding, thick, tight metal amp ever, or completely the opposite with the most sterile cleans imaginable.

Can it do anything else? I'm not convinced.
Nope!

The clean channel is VERY clean and the dirt channel is VERY gainy and thick (even on minimum settings). There are really no in-between, medium gain tones to be had. The Uber does deserve credit for having one of the better clean channels of all the high-gain multi-channel amps out there.
Old 17th October 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

That's what deterred me and my guitar player from buying one awhile ago. We couldn't find one to demo and every clip or band we heard it with had either one of the aforementioned tones going... never anything else. The JVM he got is way more flexible but of course nothing sounds like the Uberschall. The Uberschall is a "someday" amp, if I have a lot of money to throw around, because that metal tone is pure destruction.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
That's what deterred me and my guitar player from buying one awhile ago. We couldn't find one to demo and every clip or band we heard it with had either one of the aforementioned tones going... never anything else. The JVM he got is way more flexible but of course nothing sounds like the Uberschall. The Uberschall is a "someday" amp, if I have a lot of money to throw around, because that metal tone is pure destruction.
Its a metal Amp thats what its known for.. I just bought the new one. The Uber Twin Jet. Its on the way. There is no longer a clean channel on it. From what i gather it has an original channel tweaked slightly which is the mega distortion. and now the clean is a Marshall plexi sounding channel.. No clean to be had.

It does have some new controls for the heavy bass and mids, you can really control the bass and i think the mid control will be a huge improvement on this amp along with the KT88 tubes.. I have clean covered so its not a problem. I've never bought a new amp with this much gain. cant wait to fire it up
Old 19th October 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Whoa, nice! I hadn't heard about the new model, but a Plexi + Uber would really fit the bill. I'll have to web up some demos.
Old 19th October 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Well whaddyaknow? Here's a highly respectable clean coming from the Uber Twin. It's no glassy Fender or chimey Vox, but it is more than usable. The Plexi sounds are ****ing amazing....
Old 19th October 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

In parts 1 and 2 of that youtube series, I'm hearing some very good cleans...
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

yeah but not a traditional clean there.. look how lite he has to just touch the string before they take off you can hear it trying to break up with head phones.LOL

I have the 20th anniversary Shiva and Ecstasy and i can wail on the clean channel
If i want..l
Old 19th October 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

True, he's feathering the strings and the volume knob on his guitar is probably not over 2.5 - 3.5. I agree the amp is worth it for the dirty sounds alone.
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

gonna try it out tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for tips on recording a Bogner Uberschall-bog-uber.jpg   Looking for tips on recording a Bogner Uberschall-bog-uber-tube.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search