The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland JC-120 worth it?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Jay,
I left the stock speaker in the Pro jr...Weber makes some replacement models that will barely fit.I left it stock because I only use the Amp to record with and I like the fact it breaks up and goes into grind rather easily.When I'm using the Pro I'm not usually looking for a "clean" sound...I want the snarl.

Jax,
Stick with Vox AC 15/30...the older Smaller Vox amps are kinda cool but don't really have "THE" sound.One thing about AC 30's...they sound great but usually need to be pushed kinda hard(i.e.LOUD) to sound good.I love my Tophat(which is a AC30 clone)and it slays live, but often end up recording smaller amps.
Some people have had good luck with Laney and Bedrock amps as a budget solution in getting a voxy sound.

I used to see RI Bassmans for sell everywhere a few years ago..but I haven't been looking lately.
Old 16th May 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
To me, the only drawback to the Pro Jr is that it's not very powerful (loud). 15 watts ain't gonna shake the air in the room very much. It might be a great little recording amp, but I would like to pick up something that won't be a wallflower when rehearsing, and still be just as good or better than the Pro Jr. Regardless, it sounds like just the ticket for recording and I plan to pick one up. Even new they won't kill the wallet.

I'm not seeing the '59 Bassman RI come up anywhere... that must be saying something. But they're not cheap, either.
Wow. There's a lot of middle ground between a Bassman RI and the Pro Jr. I haven't tried it with a full band yet, but I'd imagine the Pro Jr. with a 2x12 or 4x10 would be loud enough for most club gigs as long as you don't need clean tones. The only guy I know who has a Bassman RI and gigs with it has a THD Hotplate (2.7ohm) because otherwise it's too loud for a 100-200 capcaity club. The amps I record with and the amps I would gig with are usually two very different beasts. Maybe try a Deluxe RI as a middle ground?

I probably come across one used Bassman RI a month, you just gotta keep your eyes open for them.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Is there anyone with an opinion on the JC-160 ?

A friend of mine had one, but sold it, against my advice. He's a keyboardplayer and I absolutely loved its otherwise completely useless overdrive and chorus on a Rhodes.

Sold it for about $500 i think.. too bad, ain't much of those left.

Herwig
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I haven't tried it with a full band yet, but I'd imagine the Pro Jr. with a 2x12 or 4x10 would be loud enough for most club gigs as long as you don't need clean tones. Maybe try a Deluxe RI as a middle ground?
Jay, I looked at the Pro Jr specs on the Fender site. Nothing listed for outputs to a cab, which doesn't mean they don't have them. Do they?

Deluxe RI is getting into cashland for me.

Then again, I'm getting very interested in the Legacy (Vai) models from Carvin, and they aren't super cheap either. They look like they should rock... separate and blendable controls for the clean and overdrive channels, lotsa tubes... and they have some vibe that smells up the Carvin catalog they send me every week!!

****, I might just save up for awhile and get something really cool.
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Head

Doesn't have a separate output for a cab, but the chassis has a jack that the internal speaker plugs into- unplug that and plug a speaker cable into the jack and run to the external cab.
Note that there is no option to change impedence for that amp, so the cab has to match the amp's built in speaker's impedence.
Or not, if you know what you're doing.
Old 16th May 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

Deluxe RI is getting into cashland for me.

Then again, I'm getting very interested in the Legacy (Vai) models from Carvin, and they aren't super cheap either. They look like they should rock... separate and blendable controls for the clean and overdrive channels, lotsa tubes... and they have some vibe that smells up the Carvin catalog they send me every week!!

****, I might just save up for awhile and get something really cool.
Man, what the hell are you looking for? lol What kinds of tones and players do you like? Most of the amps your looking at have nothing in common with each other. Maybe you should get a Pod and a power amp if you can't figure out what you want.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

**** Pod and power amp!

My guitarist has a Line6 "Spyder" which is only mediocre after hours of foreplay.

AFAI can tell, there are no fans of the Breeders here. One identifiable tone I'm after is from (ironically) the 'Pod' album, especially on their cover of 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' (one of the only Beatles covers I know of that really works). Also think Frank Black/Pixies (especially on 'Velouria' or 'Javelina')/Sonic Youth/Pumpkins, plus King Crimson Adrian Belew sound, Joe Walsh solo ('I Like Big Tits' has a GREAT guitar sound) or 'Life in the Fast Lane' Eagles. Then think Godflesh, Minsitry, even Metallica (especially 'The Prince' - screaming chunky fast tones). Then think Keith Richards....

Too much to choose from. The most useful sound to me right now would be the Hiwatt/Vox combo thing mentioned earlier in this thread. I need to build up a collection, but I want to start in with one versatile amp or combo first, and that don't mean Pod. The Breeders tone is pretty flexible IMO. Whatver they're using....
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

Jax,
we love ya but you are all over the place...You're going to have a hell of a time getting all those sounds from one amp.Like you said your best bet is to get a nice "all arounder"
Like any other recording equipment purchase,get something good on the front end and it will hold it's value and probably always be useful.Kinda like a nice Mic or Compressor
Fender Amps particularly BF/SF tube amp are generally going to hold their value or go up.
Look around for a Used SF Deluxe,Peavey Classics,Vox ac15,even a reissue Deluxe Reverb...All these will be more flexible and I bet sound better than the Carvin thingy.
Keep looking around I've seen these amps all over the web from time time to time,used with decent prices.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

Maybe you can find an affordable SF Deluxe Reverb and mod the reverb channel to BF specs and the non-reverb channel to Tweed specs. That's how mine is set up and it works great. With an A/B box, you can set up the BF side clean and crank the Tweed for leads. Celestion Vintage 30 speaker helps a bunch.

I also use a SS '68 Vox Cambridge Reverb for Vox-y stuff.

BTW, the new POD is a damn site better than the original. Trick is to set up the real deal amps (borrow or rent 'em) and mic them up with your preferred guitar chain, then tweak and program the POD at the board 'til you get it close. Then at least you have SOME form of Vox/Marshall/Fender/Boutique on hand.

Works for me...
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Head

The Legacy's a crap amp.
I'm a Pixies fan, and familiar with the Breeders stuff, and I'd almost 100% guarantee that the main amps you're hearing on that stuff are 50W JCM800 combos, with a few SF Twin Reverbs mixed in.
Here are the amps I'd recommend you check out, in ascending price (all available used):

Peavey Classic 50 2x12

Marshall 50W JCM800 2x12

Mesa Heartbreaker 2x12

There are a lot of different JCM800 combos out there, so find one with the features you like, but note that Marshall reverb tanks suck.

A good player will have no problem getting great sounds from any of those amps, including the sounds you say you want to get.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Anyone heard this little combo amp? Hand wired, tube, looks cool, etc.:

Reverend Hellhound 60/40

Thanks for the suggestions, Lyle. I WILL look into those. I notice the Peavey isn't that scarce while the Heartbreaker appears to be a rare find, so far.

I seem to remember a website that lists the equipment used by band X on album X. Anyone know the site I'm talking about? That would be the place to look for the tones I'm after.
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

I read a few good reviews on the Hellhound but never heard it.
I think the site you are referring is something like Guitargeek.com??I'll see if I can find it.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

I didn't read all the post, don't know if it has been said...

the factory wires the JC-120 speakers out of phase from each other to bring out the chorusing effect. you have to center the mike in between the speakers to get the full effect.
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

Are sure that's correct?
That sounds kinda ****ed up
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

check it out. unless it's been modified (or Roland stopped wiring the JC-120 this way) it is out of phase from each other.

one speaker goes out while the other goes in.

the TC2290's left and right out are also wired out of phase from each other. I wired mine to be "in phase". what a novel idea...
Old 11th December 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
the factory wires the JC-120 speakers out of phase from each other to bring out the chorusing effect. you have to center the mike in between the speakers to get the full effect.
wow, thanks for the tip. i'm aiming to acquire some gigging gear, including an aby pedal with phase-reverse, that i was thinking would work in the jc-120 effects-loop (looking to try mid-side stereo technique.) having one speaker wired in reverse sort of complicates matters don't it?

or, am i being an idiot? are stereo speakers naturally wired that way? i mean, in the case of rca wiring, you have red(+) and white (+) ... durrrr?
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
check it out. unless it's been modified (or Roland stopped wiring the JC-120 this way) it is out of phase from each other.

the TC2290's left and right out are also wired out of phase from each other. I wired mine to be "in phase". what a novel idea...
It also sounds maybe even "better" to mic only one SPKR with the chorus on.
One speaker in the chorus mode seems to have more pitch change.
The speaker that has less pitch change sounds better but you still get the chorus effect.
I do know that if you mic the "wrong speaker" with the chorus on you'll get a pretty ugly, F'd-up, drunk, modulated pitch thing.

I was never crazy abot those amps, but Adrian Belew made good use of them on the King Crimson stuff he played on.
It sounds like a JC-120 on the KC records, but I saw him use a JC-120 live.

I forgot if I mentioned this or not before but....
Back when I mixed/recorded Metallica live on the "And Justice for All" tour James Hetfield had a JC-120 behind the back line with two MD-421s on it.
There was the wall of Boogies or Marshalls I forget what they had), but the little JC-120 was back behind them.
It was just backed up to the big stacks facing the back of the stage at upstage left.
Every time he went to a "clean" sound in a song it was that amp.
The switching was pretty ugly and abrupt, but some how I masked it in the mix.
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Nut

Thread Resurrection!

I just jammed a JC-120 and I noticed serious speaker breakup with the volume on 7. Does that mean the speakers are on their way out? Perhaps too many bass heavy keyboards have been run through this particular JC120...
This leads mi thoughts to how this amp would act with a pair of G12-80's. I would imagine this amp would benefit from higher rated speakers.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Addict

I tried running a RAT distortion pedal into mine.For fun,tried an AEAR84 and Royer R121 in BLUMLEIN about 3feet out and really liked what I was hearing.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

That is absurd. If they were wired out of phase when the chorus is off you would hear very little volume and crap sound. The twin speaker JC's have stereo chorus in the sense that each speaker has its own amp and one speaker has the chorus effect while the other is clean.

You are getting mixed up while how chorus is created, by mixing subtle phase shifted signals. Out of phase in speakers is 180 degrees = almost full signal cancellation.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear
Today I ordered a brand new JC-120. I tried it in a music store in Auckland over the weekend and the amp is very quiet which should be good for recording. The amp sounded great with a Les Paul. The reason I ordered this particular combo amp over others is because of the clean sounds it has to offer (and I intend to connect my acoustic to it too) and it is not modeling based. I know the distortion sucks on it, it is not valve based, but that is not a problem for me. Any distortion and FX will come from my Eventide H8000FW and TC Electronic 2290, which I will connect to the FX send. I am looking forward to its arrival next week.
Old 4th February 2013
I've had one for years (a head unit), and I'm just now starting to play with it; I have a Stereo Mesa 2X closed-back cab for it, and the chorus *is* pretty cool sounding, basically the "fixed" chorus setting is always great, and sometimes I dial in something else manually, its usually pretty cool, too...

For cleans its really nice, but I'm finding the distortion channel is kind of awesome! It *does* sound like a cheap distortion pedal sort-of, but its also raw and grouchy and raspy and rocking, with body. This goes against everything I've read over the years on the internet, but I find the distortion completely usable, and Fun! Its a flavor, but its an amp, NOT a stompbox... Which IS a difference.

I've been going through all my gear lately, recording, listening, seeing what I have. The JC-120 usually sounds good, with my Skreddy Ernie, my Keeley Java Boost, Ibanez DE-7. It seems to record easily, and takes the pedals (even the Java Boost, BOOSTED) with no complaint. This amp is easily worth 2 to 3 hundred dollars used, in my personal opinion (didn't even know they still made these, not sure what the "new" price is). It WILL perform.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear
That is good to know. They have been making these for 35 years. The new amps have a stereo fx return. They sell for about $1100 US new. In New Zealand they are a lot more new, but then again we are some distance away and these units are very bulky and kinda heavy. I saw some used original made in Japan JC-120s on our NZ equivalent of ebay but they lacked the stereo fx return and had hum issues. I am hoping this new unit will last another 30 years or so that my son can get some good use of it too.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

One of the best rock guitar sounds I have ever heard was at a Cult show a year or so ago and Billy Duffy was running his Gretsch White Falcon through two Vox AC30's that were either side of a JC120. I was super surprised. He was using the Vox's for different drive tones and the JC120 was running clean all night with chorus switched in and out. It gave the driven sound such a great tone with all of the chime of the JC120 buried in drive. I would not have thought of that configuration, but it was amazing.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear
Wow! The Cult are an amazing group. "She Sells Sanctuary" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I read that the following guitarists used a JC 120: Andy Summers from the Police, Johnny Marr from the Smiths (in conjunction with a Fender Pro amp), James Hetfield of Metallica, and Joe Perry from Aerosmith.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Now that you mention Joe Perry. I can make out that clean chime with his overdriven solos. Makes sense that a JC120 might be mixed in clean under the overdrive.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I have heard different versions of the JC120. One was new(around 2000) and an older one (no idea what year). I didn't pay too much attention to the difference in appearance but I did notice that the on/off switch had been replaced by a black on/off button on the newer model. The big difference was the sound and the older one ruled. Sounded like one of the best clean tones I ever heard. The new one sounded bad in comparison. Anyone have any more info? How many versions are there?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Took me a while to find a head version here on montreal, but glad I did. Best clean guitar tone ever.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
Hi Nick. When you say the 2000 model sounded bad in comparison to the older one, how bad was it? I tried a new JC-120 in a music store in Auckland, New Zealand over the weekend (probably a 2011/2012) and thought it sounded fantastic, which is why I ordered the same one when I got back to Whangarei (it is being transferred to the music store here from Auckland).
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

I compared my 2011 JC-120 to my friends early 80's model and I thought the later version sounded just as good as the vintage! Joe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search