The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
closest fuzz pedal to Beatles "revolution" sound!?!?
Old 21st September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The Sam Ash Fuzz. Vintage, but it does it. Also try taking a guitar-fuzz- direct. You can try that with any fuzz. play with the knobs, plugin eq, add verb, bam.
Old 23rd September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I've heard similar tones from those little 1 inch "cigarette amps." Also heard razor blade sliced 6x9 car speakers plugged into a guitar amp which came close.
Old tube/valve amps utilised a tube as well for the rectifier stage. There's this
phenomenon that occurs when you try to draw more power from it than it can
deliver which is referred to as "sag". Neil Young gets a ton of it on his 'Weld'
album. The attack is compressed before the rectifier catches up and opens.
It's a beautiful thing, but as I said... you ain't gonna get that out of a pedal.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Old tube/valve amps utilised a tube as well for the rectifier stage. There's this
phenomenon that occurs when you try to draw more power from it than it can
deliver which is referred to as "sag". Neil Young gets a ton of it on his 'Weld'
album. The attack is compressed before the rectifier catches up and opens.
It's a beautiful thing, but as I said... you ain't gonna get that out of a pedal.
Oh Yeah!!!!!!!
Old 20th January 2010
Here for the gear

Freek Out! Pedal by Freekish Blues nails it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telesandtwins View Post
any help would be great! thank you!

pete
I was searching also...... saw this through a buddy of mine. Check it out Dweezil Zappa in the studio playing revolution and getting pretty close to the sound/tone

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/86
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Dunno about 'Revolution' specifically but I recall reading that the Beatles were using a Maestro fuzz box around about that time, the one with the captive lead.

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Gibson_maestro_fuzz_tone_1_752.jpg
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

revolution number 16

Studio Devil Virtual Guitar Amp (plug in) has a D.I. Box option (in the "PowerAmp" section) that can get that sound ...(i'm a huge Beatle freak by the way).
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I stack a CAE MC-402 and a MXR Doubleshot Distortion to acquire that sound. I also have my Nova Reverb dialed in as well.
Old 25th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waytie4last View Post
A Roland Funny Cat is the closest I've ever heard a pedal get to that fizzy distortion.
I love the Funny Cat...The Distortion/Sustainer (SDS) is quite unique sounding. I don't know how it works. guessing as per the name it's a fixed ratio compression+distortion. The envelope follower is crazy in that that it seems to work backwards.
The distortion is rather fizzy even crackly when used Di'ed or with a clean amp setting and it has this overdriven preamp quality. But if used with an overdriven amp it sounds like the best distortion box ever, if you like vintage type tone of course
Roland produced only 2 stompboxes in this serie: the Funny Cat and the BeeBaa, and they are both really unique sounding. Quite hard to find though.

I like to have a BeeGee too, it's the precursor of the Beebaa, not as fat and crazy as the BeeBaa but a nice sounding soft fuzz.
Old 28th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
Roland produced only 2 stompboxes in this serie: the Funny Cat and the BeeBaa, and they are both really unique sounding. Quite hard to find though.
You may find one or two Funny Cats a year on ebay, it's certainly more rare from my experience. The BeeBaa is on there quite often (relatively), maybe once every few months.

I've never owned the BeeBaa, but do have a Funny Cat.
Old 10th June 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrionic View Post
"The single version of Revolution has a very distorted guitar sound to it which was achieved by putting the guitars through the recording console which causes the channel to overload and create a fuzz sound."

huh.....really? and for all these years i though it was yoko singing besame mucho

DS
Old 11th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I always thought John took a razor blade to his speaker to get that sound. Overdrive the pre amp? Hmmm interesting
Old 13th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

take a 1980 consumer tape deck, the kind with an input on the front for a microphone, plug it in and then direct into your A/D. Voila, instant transistor fart sound.
Old 15th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

According to what I've read on the sessions, Lennon was cranking a Fender and the voice came from the control room telling him it was too loud. "But that's my sound!" was his reply (Heard that before?).
So Emerick got out the soldering iron and put two of the console's preamps in series and overloaded both, while leaving someone to block the door in case an EMI suit showed up and fired him. He had to get written permission to even close mic a kick drum, and then only on Beatles sessions.
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I got really really close results with my 1978 Tone Bypass Op-Amp Big Muff plugged in my console... GrRreat!
Old 9th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
take a 1980 consumer tape deck, the kind with an input on the front for a microphone, plug it in and then direct into your A/D. Voila, instant transistor fart sound.
Yes! I got a very similar sound plugging straight into the mic input of a 1980s Technics cassette deck.

(Not a fan of the sound at all, though. Mine, or on the original record).
Old 14th December 2011
Here for the gear

the Beatles used pretty much all the fuzzes that were around at various times - Maestro FZ-1, various early Tone Benders, Pepe Rush fuzz etc but i always heard that it was guitar plugged straight into the console. the closest fuzz out there that approximates the sound is the Italian Vox 2 transistor Tone Benders (not to be confused with the Vox Tone Bender Professional Mk II or the 3 knob Vox pedals). check 'em out on the YouTubes.
Old 17th December 2011
Gear Nut

As others have mentioned, the "Revolution" sound IS direct into the console, so it's an unusual sound in that it's a fuzz, but without going through a speaker, so as to achieve an intentionally cheap, solid state sound (solid state amplifiers and pedals--pedals usually being solid state in themselves--being a new trend in the mid 60's). In that regard, you're more after a really, really solid state sound from a fuzz, which has traditionally been a high gain solid state sound, but with some of the harshness knocked off of it by a tube amp and a speaker.

Answering your question a bit better, you may want to take a look at ZVex's Fuzz Factory--it's a pretty legendary pedal, and to my ears, it's a super bright sounding fuzz.....much brighter than your usual fuzz pedals, and the total opposite of a Big Muff type circuit where the highs and mids are scooped out of the sound. The knobs sort of work off of each other in that they all vary each other's parameters a bit, and you can get some really trebly, blown out sounds with it. The "Revolution" sound is almost like a lo-fi radio transmission type of sound, and the Fuzz Factory does that well, with the right (and even wrong!) tweaking. It really specializes in "wrong sounds" out of a fuzz.
Old 20th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

Old thread I know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradt View Post
My question is why are you chasing a tone that's unobtanium, and why are you chasing someone else's tone?

I will NEVER understand the obsessive need for cover-band players to try to duplicate a recording-studio sound live. Believe me, if Lennon ever played that song live, he probably played it through a Twin or a Marshall, and didn't worry for a moment if he sounded like the record. Why would you?

Find YOUR sound and put something of YOURSELF into the song. Make it your own.
Yes this is great advise but it is also important to chase the tones we love and learn how they are created, sometimes just for the sake of learning and trying to master the art of crafting tone - live or in the studio.

The successful result is an education that is quite valuable. Hearing a tone and learning how it was done can give someone new insight to the tools they have or might like to try.

Couple that education with the advise above about not worrying and adding your own element and vibe and you are well on your way to creating your own tone, even for a cover song, that you are happy with....
Old 4th June 2012
hag
Here for the gear

I have an EH germanium od pedal that sounds close (for a pedal that is) you can adjust the bias and voltage so you can give it that over-driven crunchy distorted snotty goodness sound
Old 4th June 2012 | Show parent
Try combining a few fuzz pedals in series.
Old 5th June 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
Dunno about 'Revolution' specifically but I recall reading that the Beatles were using a Maestro fuzz box around about that time, the one with the captive lead.
I was around then and do remember that only a couple of fuzz tones were available in 1965. The germanium maestro was very popular. Gibson had one wired into their guitar/bass doublenecks at that time, but the fuzz was only on the bass side.

In 1967, I attempted to build a Maestro fuzz from a schematic written on a napkin. It didn't work. I had better luck later.

Run one of those direct and you won't hear much difference from an overdriven console preamp.
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

I always wondered the same thing with the solo on Sympathy for the Devil.

If you're doing it live, you could just switch to good fuzz straight into the PA system (or direct into your recording system).

Aside from the specific compression/distortion characteristics (I couldn't advise on a particular fuzz pedal, but plenty of suggestions above- I might get a BYOC kit at some point), what your hearing is the fact that you haven't got a guitar amp speaker attenuating the top frequencies and also no speaker/mic so it's a very direct, dry in your face sound.

It's a really, really nasty sound that's just perfect for some songs!
Old 11th June 2012 | Show parent
How about a mic pre amp like an Art? You'll need to compress the sound too. Weren't their boards tube? Other devices to overdrive or for compression are old tape recorders.
Old 11th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
This is what I used to do in my 4-track cassette days (inspired by reading about the Satisfaction fuzz sound). When the motors on the Realistic tape deck my father gave me crapped out, I used it as a pre-amp as it had 1/4" mic inputs on the face. I'd just plug my guitar into the face of the tape deck, then go out from the deck's headphone jack and into my 4-track machine.

I loved it back then...now I want to find another tape deck to try this with...
Old 12th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I always wondered the same thing with the solo on Sympathy for the Devil.
To me that one sounds like a champ on 10. Doesn't sound as dry as a DI to my ears. Sounds like a Tele too. Such a great tone.
Old 13th June 2012 | Show parent
I think his pickups are feedbacking with the headphones. I believe Jimmy Page played the solo. Sounds direct like Rev. but has feedback. I could be wrong but let's just ask Jimmy Page if he even remembers the 60's

To the original poster if you really want to get gear gasm you'll thoroughly research the board the Beatles used and the circuitry and either locate a device with similar components or build one ala Joe Meek and keep it secretly stored in a black box out of the prying eyes of kgb agents...

Either that or go to a thrift store and find some old tape machines, receivers and star experimenting. You're going to have to misuse something to get a misused sound. You're probably not going to find an EMI board at your local salvation Army but you may find an old receiver from the 70's that might sound similar when you plug your guitar through.
Old 21st June 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedarling View Post
then I guess "any fuzz pedal" would be the answer since NO pedal sounds like that.
But if you find one, let us know.

good luck dd
That might be a cool one to have made.
📝 Reply