3 Pickup Les Paul Rewiring
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

3 Pickup Les Paul Rewiring

I've got an Epiphone Black Beauty that I've had for over a decade, gigged loads and generally used and abused.

I'm about to undertake a renovation mission- wax-pot the pickups (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find paraffin wax in hardware/DIY shopes around here- and don't ask about bits for a double boiler!!)

Another thing I'd like to do if possible is alter the wiring, as I'm replacing the pots/standard wires and caps.

I'd like to do either of the following-

Push pull pot to bring the middle pickup in and out and have all 3 pickups at once on middle toggle selection

I've found this wiring diagram-

With my limited electrical wiring knowlege (read as next to none!), it looks like the middle pickup in this schematic bypasses the volume/tone and simply goes straight to the tip connector- am I correct?

Or use the push pull pot to alter the phase of the middle pickup, so the middle toggle selection is always 3 pickups. This may not be possible without some risky work though, as I suspect the pickups are only 2 conductor.

The worrying thing is, I can't see any earth wiring going to the sleeve of the jack socket. Does this mean I've been earthing the guitar all these years?

Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

Right- think I've got this figured.

There's a 5 tab connector on the toggle switch, which really threw me for a bit, until I found a wiring diagram for it.

I think I need to run a bridging wire from the neck connector to where the middle pickup connects to the switch, then put the push/pull switch into the circuit between the middle pickup and the toggle switch so that way, I can still run the 3 pickups through the bridge volume and tone circuit.

Wish me luck, most of the bits have arrive except the paraffin wax- got to order that this week. Got the stuff to build a double boiler.

I'll post something if I don't burn the flat down when wax-potting the pickups... (oh if I could just afford a set of bare knuckle pickups...)
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Man- this has been a serious challenge- on my understanding of guitar wiring, my patience with soldering woes and just working out how to solve it.

I think I'm almost there- I've gone back to the standard 3 pickup wiring for a Black Beauty and am going to switch the neck pickup in and out with the output from the Bridge volume pot (wired it to the toggle switch this way)- so I can add the neck in to either the middle selection (bridge and middle pickups) or the bridge- for the classic Les Paul 2 pickup sound (providing it is the middle pickup that is out of phase, and not the bridge- otherwise I'll get the Peter Green sound?!).

Little did I realise that the wiring would be more aggro than re-potting the pickups. That was a doddle in comparison. Seems to have worked a treat, though on my limited testing of wiring the neck straight into the jack socket (was checking I hadn't fried the pickup! Was geting nowt from it when wired to the electronics).

I've been away for a few days (really needed a break as it ate last weekend up!) and I just need to wire the pickups back into the controls and wire the ground to the back of the pots - then I'll know if I will be a satisfied modder or will be giving it my local repair shop...
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Done it- the guitar is working! Got it right the last time- wire the neck pickup via a switch into the same toggle terminal as the output from the bridge- normal controls on the toggle switch, but I can pull the switch and add the neck pickup either to the bridge/middle or the bridge.

The re-potting seems to have done it's job to- no nasty shrill feedback when I damp the strings on high gain. The guitar sounds a little sweeter than before and the tone is way fatter and smoother with the tone rolled off (thanks to the orange drops, probably).

A very relieved and happy D!

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search