The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vox AC4TV - any opinions?
Old 25th June 2009
Deleted User

How are all the AC4TV owners getting along? Now that they've been around a little while - still feeling the love? Any one trying different tubes/speakers? This looks like a great little amp.

Edited: Took the plunge with no regrets!
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Addict

love mine.

hoping to learn about mods people are liking.
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Absolutely love mine. One of the best gear purchases I have made in months. I have actually stopped obsessing over gear and gotten back to playing and writing because of it, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

They are cute amps and fun in the studio. They aren't at ALL for playing with a drummer if you like clean tones.

I was in the studio the other day and jamming with an intern for a while (needed to stretch my back out from wiring the patchbay). I had him plug into the AC4 since it was beside him. I sat down at the drumkit and we started playing. I could barely hear him and it was impossible to get a clean tone that I could still hear or feel.

We switched him up to a slightly bigger amp (either a Fender Princeton or a AC15, can't remember) and suddenly we could play together with clean or distorted tones.

Anyway, its a super sweet amp. Well worth the money. There is ZERO reason these days that beginners should have crappy solid state amps like the Peavy and Crate amps that I was stuck with initially as a kid. Amps like the AC4 and the Valve Junior make a good tube amp possible at a killer price. Amazing for the studio. Just don't try to put it up against a drummer and you'll be fine.
Old 13th October 2009
Lives for gear

I saw one of those recently but I didn't try it.

I rememeber liking the AC15 HandWired a lot, does it sound similar but with less control?
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

I had an ac30 for a while but had to sell it for financial reasons and I've missed it ever since(I only used it in the studio). I went to GC the other day and played with the ac4 in the amp room for about an hour and while it isn't exactly like the ac30 it still has that familiar tone. I absolutely have to have one now and plan on picking one up at the end of the month. The stock speaker was kind of crap but I ran it through a 4x12 just like mine and the amp sounded totally different and worlds better.
Old 14th October 2009
Gear Maniac

i play with a drummer all the time..[1x10]

and have no real problems...a timmy helped me regain some headroom;

but i never expected it to be a clean amp when dimed-

i do place it on an empty keg about 8 feet behind his head and

stand behind the kit for the most part...ymmv
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstrat View Post
i play with a drummer all the time..[1x10]

and have no real problems...a timmy helped me regain some headroom;

but i never expected it to be a clean amp when dimed-

i do place it on an empty keg about 8 feet behind his head and

stand behind the kit for the most part...ymmv
Sounds like what you'd have to do to make it audible. At least when I'm drumming, you can't hear that amp at all over my playing. The drummer that I play with at times though is much quieter (and admittedly a better drummer).
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

I played the head version today through a 412 loaded with V30s.

All I can say is HOLY ****ING **** that sounded great!
I could not believe how good it was, especially for the price and it's louder than you would expect too.

I'll definitely get one of those.

I remember I tried a Hand Wired AC15 maybe a year or two ago through its matching 1x12 cab so I can't compare them because I didn't try it through a 4x12.
Does anybody know if the AC15 and AC30 Hand Wired sound pretty much like this little amp but with more headroom and better clean?

Cause if I can get that same kind of distortion with an AC15 or 30 hand wired but with better cleans and more headroom (for better bass) than it would mean that one of those could be used even for high gain stuff.

Let me know.
thanks
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

if I had to get an AC4TV, should I get the head or the combo?

I already have a great cab so the head version seems better and it also looks killer but if the combo sounds good maybe I could plug it in my cab at home and bring the combo to my friend's when I go there to jam...

But if the speaker in the combo version is boring (if it is) than I'd rather just get the head cause it takes less space.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Another question, does it bypass the internal speaker on the combo when you plug an external cab in the speaker out?
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Another question, does it bypass the internal speaker on the combo when you plug an external cab in the speaker out?
If you buy the 8" version it's the same price as the head so IMO you should just get that so you can plug it into a cab or just jam through the 8" if you didn't feel like plugging it into a cab. Plugging it into an external cab does indeed mute the internal speaker.
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
If you buy the 8" version it's the same price as the head so IMO you should just get that so you can plug it into a cab or just jam through the 8" if you didn't feel like plugging it into a cab. Plugging it into an external cab does indeed mute the internal speaker.
I didn't know they were the same price, thanks for the info.
Old 31st October 2009
Gear Maniac

Would one of these be redundant if I already have an Orange Tiny Terror? The TT certainly has a Vox-y kind of sound to it, albeit capable of a lot more distortion. I really dig that, but something less heavy would be welcome as well.

I haven't heard these new Vox amps. Really like the idea of the super-low wattage, because even with my 7/15 watt TT, the last time I cranked the thing three of my neighbors called the cops. What nice people! Wish I could call the police when they spend an hour outside with the leaf blower right outside my window. But that kind of world-destroying noise is OK, apparently, with the powers that be. Which is why they suck.

Would love something I could dime without the boys in blue showing up at my doorstep. Would one of these gorgeous little puppies provide a significantly different sound from my TT set to a low volume? I would like to know.

Your friend,
H.R. Puffincraft
Old 31st October 2009
Gear Maniac

Oh, and 10" vs. 8"? Perceived sound/loudness differences?

Let's go, people!
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lean View Post
Oh, and 10" vs. 8"? Perceived sound/loudness differences?

Let's go, people!
There really isn't much of a loudness difference between the 8" and the 10" amps. The difference is really in the tone. The 8" just seems to be missing something, mainly lows and low mids and seems to lack some distortion compared to the 10". However both of them are blown away when you plug the amp into a 4x12 or even a 2x12 cab. While I would put it in the same family as the TT it's not the same amp. The clean and dirty are both different from the TT and being able to go down to a 1/4 watt really lets you crank the amp for some pretty mean distortion although I like running it at 4 watts. For 200 or even 250 bucks these little amps are a great bang for the buck.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

buying one

Tax time. Buying one within the next couple of days.

I have a lot of nice cabs/speaker options to plug it into.

Does high volume have any potential downfalls from vibrations (or other) if I get the combo?

The 8" combo is 30 bucks cheaper than the head alone.

Why would anyone get the head; other than the combo taking up more room?

Thanks.
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

I got the combo and I'm rather happy with it. It isn't too loud- but I've found that it actually does cut through with my band in the practice space rather well (but the drummer and bass player are a bit quieter than most bands).

The combo is nice because you can take a killer tube amp anywhere with you then, and have minimal to carry.
Old 4th March 2010
Here for the gear

I own several small amps, including the AC4TV (10") combo and Tiny Terror. The AC4TV is sweet as a practice or recording amp, but it suffers from a lack of highs, which prevents it from cutting thru the mix if playing in a group. It does have the classic Vox sound, with very smooth, early breakup at relatively low volume. Doesn't sound at all like the Tiny Terror, IMO. The internal spkr is bypassed when plugged into an external cab. It does sound awesome thru a 4 x 12 cab. Hope this helps someone.
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

Really? I think it has zero lows compared to my other class A amp. I think of this as being a high/mids amp solely.

My other amp is a SonicCord Bantamn 25 with a Red Fang 12" in it. I had a JJ's EL34 in it, but that simply had too much bass. I put a 1961 Mullard in there and it is MUCH better. Lighter on the bass and a clearer low-mid tone.

With both of them going with a splitter it's a great full range.
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

I've noticed the same as eldorado. I've got the tone full up and whereas in other Vox amps that could get shrill and piercing, on the AC4 it's a darkish mid tone. Sounds great on rock rhythm but not so much on lead lines. On the possibility I got a dog preamp tube I've ordered a replacement. So we shall see if it's the standard tone of the AC4 or the reason whoever bought it before me returned it (real low-end slutz always buy open box :p). I still love the amp, just a little dismayed by not having anything more to turn to for a more cutting tone without adding a treble boost pedal.

Edit: Just an update that with the new preamp tube (Tung Sol) it's pretty much the same as before, maybe a slight rise in treble but that could just be wishful hearing on my part.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

I got the head version for chrismast and I run it through a marshall 1960BV 4x12 cab and it sounds pretty cool, this amp has a lot of character to it and sounds pretty unique, it's a nice addition to my collection.
Old 19th March 2010
Here for the gear

for the price, i cant think of a better amp. i love mine, i keep it in my room and use my AC30 for live stuff
Old 28th March 2010
Here for the gear

Allo all, first post here.
Just wanted to chime in on the awesomeness of the AC4TV. It may be a little amp with not much headroom, but it's a very nice little amp with not much headroom. Fine if you're just recording a guitar.
I wanted to see how it'd fair next to a heavy hitting drummer in a jam session so after I picked mine up I invited some friends over. Not loud enough to compete with a hard rock drummer, but mic'd through my PA it was just fine - and MAN was it easy to get the vocals in there with such a quiet amp. No volume wars at all - this is definitely my new jamming amp.
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Addict

I have the Vox AC4TVH and 1x12 cabinet and even at 4 Watts I find it very loud for home use. Mine is being modded by RAT who are replacing the 4, 1 and 1/4 Watt selector with a Power Scaler because I have found that at 1/4 Watt you lose all the aggression and bite that you get at 4 Watts. The RAT modification maintains all the bite at remarkably low levels, brilliant for Studio and home use!

Beautiful looking amp with a beautiful Vox sound, and stupidly cheap!
Old 20th November 2010
Here for the gear

My take on Vox AC4TV

Mercury Magnetics modification kits plus custom made cabinet (maple and mahogany)...the mod kit is great, good instructions, a little over-priced but check out the You Tube videos comparing the mod to the original, it's like night and day...

My results:

VOX AC4TV Mercury Magnetics Mod with custom cabinet | Facebook

I *might* get around to doing a You Tube A/B comparison, but time is tight and the next project is waiting...
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

This amp is one of the best values out there in the new low watt boutique range. I'm curious about the new marshal 5 but the vox ac4tv 10 is super awesome - can't really go wrong.

They really got that Vox tone really dialed in - and it will really kick you in the pants when running it through external cabs - I've only run it into a 1x12 and it's pretty stunning.

A friend of mine replaced a couple of tubes and opened the back and that's just an outright game changer - might have him do mine.

Enjoy.
Old 21st November 2010
I use a Danelectro Fish & Chips 7 band EQ with mine and it made a world of difference in the quality and variety of tones I get. Love the amp well worth the money.
Old 21st November 2010
picture attached of a mod of a semi-open back!
Old 23rd July 2011
Vox AC4TV Sample

Everyone already knows about this cool little amp, but I just bought one and made a test recording tonight. Fender Telecaster, mid. pos.>Area 51 wah>Stock AC4 10" combo in 1 watt mode>Royer R-121>Daking Mic-Pre IV>Apogee AD-16X>PTLE. No EQ. -1dB Massey CT4 comp/Echoboy delay/Sonnox Limiter.
Attached Thumbnails
Vox AC4TV - any opinions?-vox-ac4tv.jpg  
Attached Files

Vox AC4TV Test.mp3 (2.87 MB, 10988 views)

Last edited by rwhitney; 23rd July 2011 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention the wah
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear