The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vox AC4TV - any opinions?
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofspain View Post
Welcome to the rabbit hole...

I've been chasing this particular rabbit for a good few years, with limited success. 4-6W amps sound great cranked, but are still too loud for most of us to play at home. A 1-2W amp is just about ok - but still borderline loud!
The difference between the two - for me - is the amount of air they move. The 4-6W amp still moves enough air to make it a comparable experience to playing through a 30W amp, say. You're still getting that feedback from the amp - both musical and visceral.
A 1-2W amp just doesn't cut it. It sounds great, the power amp, OT and speaker are giving up the goods, but there's just not enough raw power to shake yer' boots like a larger amp can.

That's my experience. I've tried pretty much every thing over the years to get around it (I even learned basic valve theory, so I could design and build my own amps!), but have never found a solution that ticks all the boxes. A soundproof room may be the only remaining option

There are many tricks to get us most of the way there though, and everyone's experience is different. But when you say 'so I don't feel like I'm missing anything from my bigger amps except for volume', you may find that in some cases, more really is more...

I used to be in a commercial studio with amps in the control room and miced cabinets in a booth, that allowed me to crank the amps but even then I could feel the room shaking, that's how loud it was.
Being in the same room as a loud amp like that is quite an experience! But pretty bad for the hearing and neighbors.

Now I,m out of that studio and moving into a new house, I don't plan on building a sou d proof room so aim looking at my options. I'd like to start playing more guitar, I put that aside in recent years and I miss it.
I'm looking at ways to motivate me to play more and record some songs too. I've been engineering for others professional Ly for 10 years now and I miss doing my own music.

Being loud and annoying to other family members is a turn off for me, I want to be able to suck at guitar without feeling guilty about it lol

So right now I'm thinking either use mainly the AC4 that I have with a smaller, quality cab and maybe mod the AC4 for better tone.
Or get something like the Strymon iridium which I find Interesting, I could have everything on a pedalboard and play with headphones anywhere in the house even though that's not the "real thing".

Then, something I wasn't really aware of until recently, in the last few years it seems like we got a few options to attenuate and even silence completely tube amps and record them direct with IR. The UA OX seems nice but it's expensive, other less expensive option seem available, I'm wondering how nice that would be or not...
I honestly have no clue if that's be worth it.
Old 28th May 2020

I recently used both an Iridium and an AC4 on one piece. The modeler was good for the rhythm and secondary tracks. But, I liked the rawness of the Ac4 with an ND46 for the lead tracks.

-tINY

Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I recently used both an Iridium and an AC4 on one piece. The modeler was good for the rhythm and secondary tracks. But, I liked the rawness of the Ac4 with an ND46 for the lead tracks.

-tINY

Yeah the deal is always more organic it seems, more character and attitude.

As far as rehearsal only, what do you think of the iridium? Is it worth it, is it inspiring enough or do you find yourself gravitating to a real amp?
Old 28th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Yeah the deal is always more organic it seems, more character and attitude.

As far as rehearsal only, what do you think of the iridium? Is it worth it, is it inspiring enough or do you find yourself gravitating to a real amp?

It's a decent problem solver. It does have a certain synthetic clarity that can be useful. For quiet practice in a small package, it's really nice.

...and it worked like a charm when playing baritone guitar through the house backline bass amp.

-tINY

Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

It's a decent problem solver. It does have a certain synthetic clarity that can be useful. For quiet practice in a small package, it's really nice.

...and it worked like a charm when playing baritone guitar through the house backline bass amp.

-tINY

Yeah it seems like an ok solution, maybe not a replacement for the real deal but then again, line 6, fractal and Kemper don't seem any better than the iridium tone wise, they just seem to have more options but not necessarily more realistic.
I've played around with a Kemper once and did some profile, it was cool but not the same, it lacks depth.
The price of these modeler is so high I'd have to sell my amps so that's a bit of a turn off for me...
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to be in a commercial studio with amps in the control room and miced cabinets in a booth, that allowed me to crank the amps but even then I could feel the room shaking, that's how loud it was.
Being in the same room as a loud amp like that is quite an experience! But pretty bad for the hearing and neighbors.
I played a 100W Roost head through a Marshall 4x12 for most of my teens, and a Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 through my 20's. With hindsight, ridiculously loud, especially given my young mans contempt for both my hearing and neighbours. Lucky I grew up in the middle of no-where

Quote:
Being loud and annoying to other family members is a turn off for me, I want to be able to suck at guitar without feeling guilty about it lol
Likewise. I've developed something bordering on a social conscience over the years. I do miss my really loud amps though.

Quote:
So right now I'm thinking either use mainly the AC4 that I have with a smaller, quality cab and maybe mod the AC4 for better tone.
Or get something like the Strymon iridium which I find Interesting, I could have everything on a pedalboard and play with headphones anywhere in the house even though that's not the "real thing".
I've had a couple of basic modelers over the years - early Line6 and a Roland somethingorother, but while I find them fun for a while, I can't connect with them on a meaningful level. Playing through headphones just doesn't work for me either, but we're all different. Whatever gets us playing more guitar is what we need.
Whether I was spoiled in my youth by decent amps, or am just a fussy f*cker, I don't know, but I need to feel the vibrations physically when I'm playing the guitar.

Quote:
Then, something I wasn't really aware of until recently, in the last few years it seems like we got a few options to attenuate and even silence completely tube amps and record them direct with IR. The UA OX seems nice but it's expensive, other less expensive option seem available, I'm wondering how nice that would be or not...
I honestly have no clue if that's be worth it.
I've tried a few attenuators, again with limited success. Aside from an old Marshall Powerbreak to tame the Roost, they've been cheapo kit's from the internet. They've been uniformly uninspiring too. It's the same problem as with building 1 or 2W amps - by the time I've attenuated the signal to bedroom levels, the feel has gone. And the thrill with it

I've heard a lot of good things about the Ox, but as you say it's not cheap. I'd guess it works best taming louder amps, either on stage or in the studio. For the price, one would hope it'd perform better than some of the cheaper options on a small amp too, but it might not be in it's comfort zone. Weber make some interesting looking gear, using a speaker motor as a reactive load.

There's always the option of running the AC4 on the 1 or 1/4W mode, although from memory neither sounded stellar through the stock speaker. I do remember getting some mileage from the 1W mode through a Greenback loaded 1x12".
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Yeah it seems like an ok solution, maybe not a replacement for the real deal but then again, line 6, fractal and Kemper don't seem any better than the iridium tone wise, they just seem to have more options but not necessarily more realistic.
I've played around with a Kemper once and did some profile, it was cool but not the same, it lacks depth.
The price of these modeler is so high I'd have to sell my amps so that's a bit of a turn off for me...

I haven't spent a lot of time with more expensive modelers... But, the iridium sounded better than the GarageBand models, Yamaha THR10, and the line6 stuff I've played with. ...at least to my ear.

-tINY

Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for your opinions, at least now I know I'm not alone feeling the way I do about amps and modelers.
It seems that everything is a compromise unfortunately.

As soon as I move into my new house I'll set my stuff up again and get a feel of what works and what doesn't, from there I should be able to make a decision, hopefully...
Old 29th May 2020
I bought this little 10" amp in around 2011. Unfortunately, it's been sitting in a cupboard for a lot of the time since, while I work the spice mines of Kessel. I do remember it being good...and I hope to use it again some day.

Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Volume wise, are you in a positon where playing the AC4 flat out (on full fat 4W mode!) will be acceptable to your family and neighbours?
I don't think so. Even on 1 watt it alerts my neighbours, emphatically, to my subpar skills.

Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I don't think so. Even on 1 watt it alerts my neighbours, emphatically, to my subpar skills.

Then to the 1/4 Watt mode, and beyond...
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Then to the 1/4 Watt mode, and beyond...
Oh yeah it goes to 1/4 watt. Forgot about that. Even 1/4 watt gets neighbours offside. It's damn loud in the burbs even at 1/4. It's not like you're going to throw 1/4 watt on and play til your heart is content, confident in the knowledge that Pam and Reg are none the wiser. They'll know.

And they won't like it.

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear