The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Just bought a VHT SIG:X whoo hoo
Old 15th June 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Just bought a VHT SIG:X whoo hoo

I just bought A VHT SIG:X used on Ebay, should have it in about a week. I'm taking a chance on this because I've never actually played it before. I have played the pitbulls though. I really like the VHT sound so I'm sure this is going to be consistent. I sold my Triple Rectifier to pay for it cuz I've been getting tired of it lately. Can't stand that high end fizziness whenever I record it. Even so, I have a feeling I'll be missing it once it's gone. But they just seem so much easier to come by in the used market. So I figured I could always get another. I also have an old JCM 800 that I'm starting to get tired of but I'm a little hesitant to let go of. If I do sell it I'll by an Orange Rockerverb. Do you guys think I made the right choice?
Old 16th June 2009
  #2
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Judging by the number and type of different amps you mentioned in a few sentences, I doubt you'll ever have ONE amp that will meet your tonal mood for very long.

Solution: collect amps, don't sell them.
Old 16th June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Judging by the number and type of different amps you mentioned in a few sentences, I doubt you'll ever have ONE amp that will meet your tonal mood for very long.

Solution: collect amps, don't sell them.
I like the way you think.
Old 17th June 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
I like the way you think.
He's right though. I was just like you. Always getting tired of what I had, then selling them to buy something different then wanting what I sold back again. If I had just kept everything I'd sold I'd have one hell of an amazing amp collection. Don't sell anything else. Save your money and buy a new amp when you feel the need to make a tonal change, and for the love of the good Lord above do not sell your 800.
Old 18th June 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
He's right though. I was just like you. Always getting tired of what I had, then selling them to buy something different then wanting what I sold back again. If I had just kept everything I'd sold I'd have one hell of an amazing amp collection. Don't sell anything else. Save your money and buy a new amp when you feel the need to make a tonal change, and for the love of the good Lord above do not sell your 800.
I won't sell it. I don't think I could ever get over it.
Old 20th June 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Got my Sig X yesterday and still have my Boogie because the guy who's buying it didn't pick it up yet. So I had a chance to compare the two. Wow!! the VHT is sooo awesome. It just sounds bigger, brighter, tighter then any other amp I've played. I'm really glad I got this thing. The boogie has it's own sound but the VHT is clearly a better design IMO.
Old 22nd June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
Got my Sig X yesterday and still have my Boogie because the guy who's buying it didn't pick it up yet. So I had a chance to compare the two. Wow!! the VHT is sooo awesome. It just sounds bigger, brighter, tighter then any other amp I've played. I'm really glad I got this thing. The boogie has it's own sound but the VHT is clearly a better design IMO.
I have the SigX its a nice amp. I Have the Pitbull CLX and I like that better I think its just the EL34 tubes.. My Bogner 20th Anniversary came in a few weeks ago, now that is a kick ass amp. Its got the most distortion out of any XTC for sure.
all the controls are more responsive to changing the tone. I love this thing..
Old 22nd June 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
I have the SigX its a nice amp. I Have the Pitbull CLX and I like that better I think its just the EL34 tubes.. My Bogner 20th Anniversary came in a few weeks ago, now that is a kick ass amp. Its got the most distortion out of any XTC for sure.
all the controls are more responsive to changing the tone. I love this thing..
Yeah Bogner makes awesome stuff. Hey I noticed that when I use my PRS Custom 24 I seem to get alot of feedback at moderately high volume (gigging volume) but my Les Paul and other guitars seem to be fine. The prs doesn't give ma any feedback problems through my boogie or my jcm 800. Why is that?
Old 22nd June 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
Good question. My Ibanez Jem does the same thing but it not like its out of control.
The pickups are really hot... Maybe its those huge transformers in the bogner




Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
Yeah Bogner makes awesome stuff. Hey I noticed that when I use my PRS Custom 24 I seem to get alot of feedback at moderately high volume (gigging volume) but my Les Paul and other guitars seem to be fine. The prs doesn't give ma any feedback problems through my boogie or my jcm 800. Why is that?
Old 22nd June 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Good question. My Ibanez Jem does the same thing but it not like its out of control.
The pickups are really hot... Maybe its those huge transformers in the bogner
No sorry, I meant the feedback thing is happening through my SIG:X.
Old 30th June 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

You know, I'm finding that as versatile as the amp appears to be on the surface, it's really only great at the metal stuff. I like the high gain channel but can't get satisfactory low gain setting on it. The rhythm channel seems to lack high end, there is no treble or presence control. The clean is quite nice though. I really like it with the boost turned on, adds girth to the clean channel. But overall, I'm not finding it to be quite as versatile as I thought it would be.
Old 30th June 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I've had a lot of people try to use my VHT that aren't in metal bands and nearly all of them comment that the amp sounds too "metally" for their tastes. I wouldn't call it a one trick pony, more like a one genre pony.
Old 1st July 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I've had a lot of people try to use my VHT that aren't in metal bands and nearly all of them comment that the amp sounds too "metally" for their tastes. I wouldn't call it a one trick pony, more like a one genre pony.
Yeah, probably too metal for me too. But it definitely does metal perfectly. I do enjoy playing it, it's a blast. But I think maybe I should've gone for the Orange Rockerverb. I've played that and know that I love it. I bought the SIG:X on the blind having never heard it. I played a pitbull about 5 years back and remembered loving it so I figured this would be great. I don't know, still on the fence about keeping it. I do really like it but it might not get much use. On the plus side, the person who was going to buy my triple recto turned out to be a west african scammer that I didn't fall for. So I never sold it. Not going to now either.
Old 24th July 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 

VHT Sig: X for sale

Well it's a great amp with alot of fantastic features but it's just too much of a monster for me. If there's anyone out there that may want this amp I'm looking to resell it. Channel 2 gets you pretty much the same sound as the Deliverance and Channel 3 just gets insane with gain. Clean channel sounds great too. PM me if interested. I'm in New York if you're local and want to arrange pickup.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump