The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Amp Mods
Old 26th May 2014
Here for the gear

Nobody's really helping me much, I get that everybody has their opinions, but I'm not really looking for a opinion or what you might think sounds good, what sounds good to me mostly likely wouldn't match your tastes and vise versa, I dont want to run a attenuator, or buy a different amp etc etc, and tea this probably sounds kinda dickish at the moment but your opinions are just that opinions, I asked for somebody to help me figure out either what amp my amps schematic is based off so that I can figure out the mods I want, or somebody that can tell me how to do the mods I want, so far only one person has actually had a area to look at for mods vs an opinion, under the impression given of the forum and its purpose is to help each other out not to give merely opinions on what you think sounds best or what you like for your amps, to each their own, and where I'm sitting I have a amp that's not super sought after to where it matters if I change a few things and is a good start to get the sound I want vs buying amp after amp to get mediocrity in what I want, I've had Marshalls, vox's etc and all had their respective tone and their pros and cons, now I have something that I can Taylor to "my own" personal tastes/sound and I'm just asking for help not opinions as to what you like or dont like
Old 26th May 2014
Here for the gear

Dont get me wrong the responses are good, but I'm looking for help as to what I want to do not opinions to what everybody likes or doesn't like, I'm sure my taste differs from your guys, I want to do my own thing with this amp and make my own sound, just need somebody that can either tell me how to do the mods I want or can tell me what amp my amps schematic most similarly corresponds to and I can figure it out from there, its not a high end amp nor is it collectable and I dont want to waste money on big names that I've already had and didn't care for for one reason or another, I'm just asking for help which is why me and this forum are here, opinions only help the person making them
Old 26th May 2014
Here for the gear

Tube amps are not legos or things you might careless mess with. I assume you're not a tech, otherwise you wouldn't have looked for a similar schematic with mods applied, just to do the same without even asking yourself why something has been done: you'd have already found where to work.
Therefore, I just suggest you to look for a simple solution as an attenuator (also 'cause you're not really "tayloring" your amp on your needs by adding a master volume just to crank it up) or have a real tech take a look at it, since there are several ways to achieve your goal, but none of them is viable for a newbie in electronics.
Old 26th May 2014
Here for the gear

Not carelessly messing with, and you don't have to be a "tech" to do things, I know electronics and I know how to mod amps I've done them before, I know the filter caps hold a charge that can kill you and I know how to discharge them to make them safe, if I didn't know or wasn't confident in the fact that I could do it I wouldn't ask, if you read all my posts I've only modded smaller amps at this point, so the bigger schematic is a little more confusing and its easier to work off of a layout diagram for me cuz I have autism which is why I asked what amp the design was based off because I can take my schematic and one of a similar amps that's been nodded and trace the circuit between the two
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

This being primarily a recording gear forum, you will most likely get the answers you need from a guitar or amp forum, most of them have quite a few amp builders and repairmen that post regularly.
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Maniac

I have modded/built/restored multiple amps man... I'm telling you some mods are not very safe nor worth a ****...post phase inverter master volume being one of them...
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFreakz View Post
I have modded/built/restored multiple amps man... I'm telling you some mods are not very safe nor worth a ****...post phase inverter master volume being one of them...
I've personally heard a few old (late sixties-early seventies) Marshalls with PPIMVs that sounded great, right down to mouse fart volume levels.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search