The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar compressor pedal?
Old 10th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
^^ thanks for posting this.Think i will try one
Old 30th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Make sure to test for your needs

Despite the fact you can read some very elaborated posts on gearslutz I would recommend everybody trying to get a suitable comp to really test a few boxes!

I was very close to make the mistake to judge based on various reviews that at a first glance seemed very plausible and was about to buy a Diamond Comp which is undoubtedly a nice device. But I figured it was not the right thing for me because it compresses rather smooth than what I want for funky rhythms. Yes indeed, it does introduce nearly no audible noise and passes the signal very clean.

But either I'm the one who got all this compression thing wrong or some buyers did. I'm saying this because: I read a lot of comments stating that the MXR Dyna Comp would have a bad SNR compared to a Diamond. I can't go with that. What compression does by purpose is to make up the gain of an incoming signal and duck it where it exceeds the threshold. So it's just obvious that A) a source's noise floor is not gonna be ducked when notes fade out and B) this noise floor is gained in volume just as much as the incoming musical signal so -> A device who has a smaller compression ratio is more than likely to introduce less noise – no wonder.

But just let me know if I'm the one who got something wrong.
Old 7th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Well, I'm (currently -- this is my third different entry in the time line of this thread) using what is represented as a "Limiting Amplifier", the Keeley GC-2. It isn't really meant as a sustain pedal, it just evens the playing out a little. So there isn't a bunch of gain at low levels.

I'm very happy with it by the way.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Having tried a LOT of guitar compressor pedals over the years, I agree with those that say there isn't one compressor to rule them all. For dirty overdriven sounds the compressor is less critical, and I could use most of the usual suspects. For cleaner sounds it depends what style, I like the Keeley 2 knob compressor for smack down rude tight and funky compression with added dirt.

The pedal that I really like is the Bogner Harlow. I am not sure if it has been mentioned but man it is one musical and large sounded effect, it seems to control dynamics in a very controlled way that is uber musical and often just becomes part of the sound. You've got bundles of gain on tap to boost your signal.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac
ThoryFX - Fat General. Parallel compressor built like a tank
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Head

if you like coloured tone - BOGNER HARLOW
its sooooo good.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalgrim View Post
if you like coloured tone - BOGNER HARLOW
its sooooo good.
That's what Ima saying
Lives for gear
SlideRIG.

ns
Old 8th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have an old script-logo Dynacomp that sounds pretty amazing. There's lots of good options these days, but that old Dynacomp is still hard to match or beat.

audioforce
Old 8th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Having tried or owned just about any (well, many) compressor pedals, I kept three pedals for regular use. For me the wet/dry mix knob that many newer models have is essential to retain some meat in the tone.

EHX Tone Corset : best name, cheap and good. Has a very smooth sound and doesn't add treble. has wet/dry knob.

Xotic SP Compressor: very clean, also with wet/dry knob and some internal options. More 'sparkly' sounding than the EHX, more of a 'California' sound to my ears. Great if your basic sound is not too bright already.

AnalogMan CompRossor; still my fave, the newer models have a wet/dry knob, mine doesn't have it but works great on lower setting (which I use anyway on all comp pedals).

Worst compressor pedal I ever used; Jangle Box: shrill and uninspiring sound, hype.
Old 9th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Having tried or owned just about any (well, many) compressor pedals, I kept three pedals for regular use. For me the wet/dry mix knob that many newer models have is essential to retain some meat in the tone.

EHX Tone Corset : best name, cheap and good. Has a very smooth sound and doesn't add treble. has wet/dry knob.

Xotic SP Compressor: very clean, also with wet/dry knob and some internal options. More 'sparkly' sounding than the EHX, more of a 'California' sound to my ears. Great if your basic sound is not too bright already.

AnalogMan CompRossor; still my fave, the newer models have a wet/dry knob, mine doesn't have it but works great on lower setting (which I use anyway on all comp pedals).

Worst compressor pedal I ever used; Jangle Box: shrill and uninspiring sound, hype.
On the Xotic SP, one other note: it has a @#$%load of gain available as well. Great for punching up leads with a touch of extra sustain. PLUS, the thing is a lot quieter than most others I've used.
Lives for gear

For me it's still all about the Empress Compressor (pedal).

I've messed about with a few (even since owning the Empress) and find that the Empress just does it all, interface is like a compressor with a useful and great meter..this thing sounds amazing. slammed or subtle, very cool pedal.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
On the Xotic SP, one other note: it has a @#$%load of gain available as well. Great for punching up leads with a touch of extra sustain. PLUS, the thing is a lot quieter than most others I've used.
Yeah. And this reminds me that I should check the internal switches as I think that it's possible to turn off the slight treble boost. So my claim that the SP Comp sometimes can be a bit too 'shiny' may not be true after all!

(Generally I'm not a fan of these internal switches as it's a PITA to open up the pedal if you need a quick change and I also sometimes tend to forget that these controls exists - like it just happened here....)
Old 9th November 2018
Using a Tech 21 NYC Boost Compressor these days, I use it with single coil pickups all the time and the boost with humbuckers, it has a really great tone but it can get super squishy so I just compress a little bit or else your attack is gone.

Still using a Mooer Yellow for more subtle compression.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Head

I love my Xotic SP. I use it in the lo mode with both knobs at around 2:00. I keep the internal dip-switches in the stock position.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have an older Keeley. The unit with only two knobs. I play a hollow body archtop in a Soul/R&B band. Not a "pedal guy", but this comes in handy. I dial the compression level in pretty low (like 9 o'clock), and it gives my lead tone a bit more sustain and gain, without introducing distortion. Sounds fatter and thicker. Also makes a hollowbody feed back more (which is sometimes a good thing). It also does that spanky funk compression for rhythm playing. I'd love to do an A/B comparison between the Keeley and a Dynacomp.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Had some good friends who worked at a music store back in the day who used to let me take home stuff to try in my studio first. I have A/B'd the Analogman Comp'Rosser (Ross remake), Keely modded C-2, Dynacomp, Boss CS-3, and the Barber TonePress.

Barber was by far the best sounding pedal to my ears, and for a couple of reasons. First, you can smash the signal but it won't ever truly kill the sound. None of the other pedals were capable of that. Second, it has a true bypass blend knob, so you can get a LOT more variety in tones, almost to the the point of a "parallel compressed" guitar signal mixed in with the cleans. Third, as with most all Barber pedals, you can open up the device and they've provided pots that are adjustable with screwdrivers, etc. The TP has an additional tone knob internally that you can modify which gives it another level of possibility of sound.

Been using it for years and have never needed anything else. Smooth sustain, punchy and defined low notes even when playing in an organ trio, and cuts through larger ensembles like funk/soul, etc. I'm running a PRS hollowbody as my main rig.
Old 16th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
I love my Xotic SP. I use it in the lo mode with both knobs at around 2:00. I keep the internal dip-switches in the stock position.
My favourite things about the Xotic SP are:
[1] very low noise floor, especially compared to most other floor comps.
[2] a BOATLOAD of extra gain on tap! Great for solo boosts.
[3] Compression blend control. Natural attack, with the sustain coming in behind it.

It's actually pretty adjustable, with the interior switching, but I haven't had to mess with that to get what I want. Smooth, natural-sounding, relatively noiseless, gain if you want it...

I had a Keeley before this one, and for MY needs, this one blows the Keeley away. Don't get me wrong, the Keeley sounds good, but this one is better for me, mostly because of the make-up gain available. I believe the SP was based on the Ross comp with some obvious improvements.

Before these, I used a DOD Milkbox. It had (barely) enough gain, but boy, was it ever noisy!

My only complaint was the large knobs; the volume knob, next to the switch, got moved almost every time I kicked it on. So I removed the knob and put a much smaller one on. We're good now.
Old 16th November 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Barber was by far the best sounding pedal to my ears, and for a couple of reasons. First, you can smash the signal but it won't ever truly kill the sound.
That's true. Parallel compression goes a long way in a pedal, and Barber made a great one. For *that* sound I still pull out the TonePress, but in general I prefer the sound of the BJF Pale Green Compressor (or Barefoot Ever Green -- nearly the same thing). It's about the feel as much as it's about the sound, and in both regards it's just stellar. I can't get that from anything else.
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear
i have a boss fb-2 which is a feedback booster + compressor i feel its underrated, it does a good job compresssing and thickening the sound and additionally it has a feedback boost button that makes you drive feedback up the roof for cool effects i think its underrated
Old 20th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Cant believe I missed this thread!!!

My bang for the buck pick is the cheap crap plastic Danelectro Surf n Turf. Was 12 UK pounds brand new when they came out.
Best approximation of the script Dynacomp that I bought in the seventies & foolishly gave to a mate.
Only down side (as I recently found out) is that the knobs are ultra special.
Break one (as I did) at your peril.
I wound up buying another pedal in the series, so at least I now have a spare in case I break another one!

Aside from that I also have a Digitech DOD FX80B - only down side on that one is the stupid DC in connector and of course the notoriously fragile battery compartment lids.
Oh and er um a Boss CS-3 (blush) which I use for sort of mild sweetening, leaving the more in-yer-face stuff to the other two.

Wondering about those mods to the CS-3....
Old 20th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Cant believe I missed this thread!!!

My bang for the buck pick is the cheap crap plastic Danelectro Surf n Turf. Was 12 UK pounds brand new when they came out.
Best approximation of the script Dynacomp that I bought in the seventies & foolishly gave to a mate.
Only down side (as I recently found out) is that the knobs are ultra special.
Break one (as I did) at your peril.
I wound up buying another pedal in the series, so at least I now have a spare in case I break another one!
Now you're talking! A while ago I stumbled on a case full of Dano mini pedals that I had completely forgotten about. No comp though but I'll check it out. The Tremolo is outstanding, one if the best really, and there's a Uni-Vibe (called 'Vibrato' I think) that's really good, same with the phaser, auto-wah and slapback. The 'French Toast' fuzz - allegedly a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine' - is outstanding.

I found these mini pedals absolutely ideal for effects you only might need once in a while. They don't take up much space and by using them in loops in a GigRig2 I also don't worry bout the flimsy connectors. The construction may the toyish and cheap but unlike many other and much more expensive pedals I hear no tone loss. Set and forget.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Necrowaking this great thread

(I'm currently in the market for a compressor with character.

Would prefer blend/attack/release controls too.)

Anything new in the last couple of years?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes View Post

Brutal bias but in the knowlege of being just what the doctor ordered for you: I'm selling a like-new Cali76, PM me if interested.
Quote:

Not for me -- I'm still using the BJF Pale Green Compressor and have yet to hear anything that bests it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Brutal bias but in the knowlege of being just what the doctor ordered for you: I'm selling a like-new Cali76, PM me if interested.
Thanks. I went ahead and bought an available MXR dynacomp out of a need to get on with a project and it fits well. I really like it but can see why others might not. I see how the slow attack could be an issue, but it has a certain character that I like. Good luck selling the Cali76. From what I have seen on YT it looks great.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I went ahead and bought an available MXR dynacomp out of a need to get on with a project and it fits well. I really like it but can see why others might not. I see how the slow attack could be an issue, but it has a certain character that I like. Good luck selling the Cali76. From what I have seen on YT it looks great.
Thanks. The Cali76 is fantastic but I'm really getting away from using pedal compressors for the most part. And IF I need compression I still have an AnalogMan BiComp or the cheap EHX Tone Corset that actually sounds great AND has a blend function.

They all are different, I also have a Xotic SP Comp that I'm selling. Also very nice but a tad too clean and 'L.A.' sounding for my taste.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm consistently blown away with how good the Wampler Ego comp sounds. It's like a Dynacomp with more control.
Blend, attack, sustain, tone and volume. It can be unnoticeable or get the funk up in your face. Quiet too.

I punted the Bicomprossor. It really needed the mix control and it was easier to sell than spend more to have it added.
Tried all the Compact Cali pedals. If I didn't like the Ego so much I'd probably go with the Origin comp pedal for bass. Having a hpf really makes a big difference in keeping the low end intact for baritone as well as bass. But they're expensive and in a shootout I actually still preferred the Ego comp, which I admit surprised me.

So many good choices out there though, you really need to shoot a few out with your guitars and see which one works for you. I do a lot of recording and plugins are great but if you want that funky comp sound, only a pedal will get it.

Last edited by guavadude; 4 weeks ago at 01:28 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I'm consistently blown away with how good the Wampler Ego comp sounds. It's like a Dynacomp with more control.
Blend, attack, release, tone and volume. It can be unnoticeable or get the funk up in your face. Quiet too.

I punted the Bicomprossor. It really needed the mix control and it was easier to sell than spend more to have it added.
Tried all the Compact Cali pedals. If I didn't like the Ego so much I'd probably go with the Origin comp pedal for bass. Having a hpf really makes a big difference in keeping the low end intact for baritone as well as bass. But they're expensive and in a shootout I actually still preferred the Ego comp, which I admit surprised me.

So many good choices out there though, you really need to shoot a few out with your guitars and see which one works for you. I do a lot of recording and plugins are great but if you want that funky comp sound, only a pedal will get it.
I use that (Wampler) on my personal board. Talk about character. This and the BJF (or bearfoot) are very good.
Don't like the Cali (but have one). One to try is the Effectrode comp. Not everybody's cup of vodka but interesting.
For clean, Empress is good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Since this thread was necroed... anyone have experience with the new Strymon Compadre pedal? It looks and sounds really good in video demos, but unfortunately I can't really go test one in these pandemic times. I have a SP Compressor currently, which I like but it sounds a bit too non-transparent at anything higher than "low" setting. Compadre sounds a lot more transparent especially in Studio mode, and the booster section also looks useful.

Cali76 is another one I'm interested in, so if anyone has experience with the 76 vs. Compadre, that would be especially interesting.
📝 Reply