The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar compressor pedal?
Old 2nd January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Cool. Do you know how it compares sonically with the original (which I have)?
I have the original (stereo rack unit) as well, and I haven't directly compared against the current production ones.

Appears they've gone to some lengths to make a faithful recreation within the limits of current production and the 500 format, so I guess it will be interesting to see/hear how it stacks up.
Old 2nd January 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
I have the original (stereo rack unit) as well, and I haven't directly compared against the current production ones.

Appears they've gone to some lengths to make a faithful recreation within the limits of current production and the 500 format, so I guess it will be interesting to see/hear how it stacks up.
I have the black rack version (not the original tan one) and the reason I say they're fragile is that when mine was shipped to me it didn't work. I opened it up and found that all of the large Mylar "chicklet" capacitors had bounced loose from the PC boards during shipping. Also the way the boards themselves mount is not the most mechanically stable thing I've seen. Hopefully the capacitor problem will be addressed in the 500 version and obviously the PC boards won't be mounted the same way.
Old 5th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
Calm Animals IS LATE 80's but there are a lot of info regarding Jamie's recent gear out there,

yes, I said, I'm not sure what he's doing now.
Last time I recorded him we didn't use any pedals or rack gear.

his rack back then was very involved, and BIG!
It had two Marshall heads (JMP i think) built into it, plus all the switching relays for his various sounds... 2 RATs, 2 Dynamites, an MXR stereo chorus, an SPX90, and a Boss TU-Tuner mounted to the faceplate.

also some sort of custom VCA input level control, he could control via a control voltage foot pedal
Old 12th January 2015
Here for the gear
I use pigtronix philosopher's tone. It has parellel compression built in, which is great if you are not using it as an effect, but just to slightly thicken up the sound and add a little gain. Works fine for me.
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Head
Interested in buying a compressor pedal for live. In my studio, I've recorded guitar tracks going direct with the 1/4" DI input of an api 3124 mic pre, then out to a Distressor, then out to a Radial re-amp box, then to an amp - either a '65 Fender Deluxe or a Roland JC120, a strat into one, a tele into the other panned. Great for jangly clean rhythm guitar sound. Is there a pedal that has near the sound or versatility of the Distressor? Distressor was primarily used on 4:1 via mode, and I might have switched the HPF and Dist 2 on too. Anyone?
Old 28th August 2015
Blackstar has a cool one
Old 28th August 2015
Gear Nut

Effectrode PC-2A photo optical/tube comp. I'm not a big compressor guy but this thing rocks. Great live and studio tool.
Old 29th August 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharvey11 View Post
Interested in buying a compressor pedal for live. In my studio, I've recorded guitar tracks going direct with the 1/4" DI input of an api 3124 mic pre, then out to a Distressor, then out to a Radial re-amp box, then to an amp - either a '65 Fender Deluxe or a Roland JC120, a strat into one, a tele into the other panned. Great for jangly clean rhythm guitar sound. Is there a pedal that has near the sound or versatility of the Distressor? Distressor was primarily used on 4:1 via mode, and I might have switched the HPF and Dist 2 on too. Anyone?
Are you taking your Fender or Roland amps out live? Why not take the API and Distressor out too?

But if you want a very portable live sound direct into the FOH, I could recommend a Sansamp Character Blonde pedal for your FET distortion and versatile amp tone, and there are numerous compressors that will go in front of that. I rate my MXR Dynacomp if you want an obvious compressor tone, or my Diamond comp if you want a subtle low noise compression.

I don't know if there is a single pedal that will do what you ask. If you like clean jangle, the Janglebox is worth a look at.
Old 15th February 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

MXR Custom Comp

I really love my MXR Custom Comp.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

For me, I really like the Xotic SP compressor. But I'm probably going after something different; because it is also a booster, I kick it in to drive the preamp a little harder, with a bit of compression for sustain. It performs admirably, and quietly, but I may not be using it for the same effect as you.
Old 17th February 2016 | Show parent
My standart compressor is the OKKO CocaComp - smooth and pristine Opto Comp
Only thing that Im missing sometimes is more tweakability (attack/release knobs).

For Country and more advanced Compressor tasks I use a Wampler Ego Comp. Soundwise Im very happy with it. It gives the classic compressor sounds plus more versatility. Noisefloor is higher than on the OKKO but still better/ quieter than on my Boss CS-3 with Monte Allums Mod.
Old 28th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Picked up a Janglebox JB2 version the other day.
I know its specific for the Byrds 12 string sound but to be frank,having compared it to my MilkBox (that i mentioned earlier in the thread) the MilkBox gets pretty close. Tried it on both 6 and 12 string.
Considering the JB2 is a lot more £$ than the MilkBox, i,m feeling a bit underwhelmed by it...I,ll most likely return it.
Anyone have experience with the JB2?

Last edited by Macky; 28th July 2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 28th July 2017
I've been using the Tech 21 NYC Boost Comp recently, Fet compressor with an independent clean boost, has a really nice tone, it's a bit too much for humbuckers but for single coils it sounds great.
Old 29th July 2017
I'm still loving my Diamond Comp. But a very interesting pedal is the TC SpectraComp Bass compressor. It's a tiny, single knob, cheap, digital pedal. It's mainly aimed at bass players - and I find that a compressor that works for bass is harder to find than for normal guitar since they want the entire frequency spectrum. This thing is amazing - it's basically a multiband studio compressor. If you use the TC Toneprint editor, you have full access to a dazzling array of parameters ... not for people who are scared of compressors. Or - just download celebrity toneprints ... but they are mainly bass players. The single knob can be assigned to anything - or disabled for set and forget. If you want more knobs, get the Hyperprism - it's the same except for more knobs.

This tiny pedal became my instant favorite on bass, so I had to get another. It's hard to defend analog when digital sounds this good. But in fairness, it's too expensive to build good analog multiband compression - so it sort of has an unfair advantage.
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

I tend to use my neck pickup a lot more than most people, so I use a compressor to roll off the bottom a little. I still get the neck sound but without crossing too much into the bass player's EQ band. I used to do it with an EQ pedal, but I use a compressor now as it retains more of the sound that I'm after.

Lately I've been using a Boss RCL-10 Compressor Limiter (half rack) which is fine for home and garage jams, but I want to get a pedal for playing live. Sort of teetering between an MXR DynaComp (had one years ago) and a TC HyperGravity.
Old 30th July 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
I tend to use my neck pickup a lot more than most people, so I use a compressor to roll off the bottom a little. I still get the neck sound but without crossing too much into the bass player's EQ band. I used to do it with an EQ pedal, but I use a compressor now as it retains more of the sound that I'm after.

Lately I've been using a Boss RCL-10 Compressor Limiter (half rack) which is fine for home and garage jams, but I want to get a pedal for playing live. Sort of teetering between an MXR DynaComp (had one years ago) and a TC HyperGravity.
I don't think you will regret the Hypergravity (or get the Spectracomp Bass if you don't actually need the extra knobs). The 3 band crossovers are very editable, so you can use this as an extremely powerful eq or boost as well as the compressor function. You could emulate the mid rangey squish of a Dynacomp too if you wanted that. I have a Dynacomp but it doesn't get much of a look in now ...

I love neck pups too - and I definately need to remove the low end mud. A treble boost pedal might be useful - but you really can do it with the TC.
Old 31st July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimisrandma View Post
Common compressor controls;
Threshold or input drive
Ratio
Attack
Release
Make-up gain
Hard knee / soft knee

A lot of these suggested wonder compressors only have 2 or 3 knobs on them, how can they possibly be so great when there is no handle on all the basic functions of a compressor?

Most don't even have any indications that that the threshold has been reached.
It depends on what you want from the compressor. For me, I needed a clean gain boost with a little added sustain. The Xotic SP pedal does this very well, and does it quietly. The SP does have switches inside to modify some of these parameters, but I've not felt the need to play with them yet.
Old 1st August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I don't know if it's already been mentioned here but EHX has a new comp out called 'Tone Corset'. First off, I love the name, so fitting! Secondly, it does sound pretty great in this clip I think. It's on my shopping list.

I currently use the Xotic SP compressor and the AnalogMan BiComp. The SP is very nice but a tad too clean I think. Seems like all the Xotic pedals (I also have an EP booster) have a slight 'sheen' as their sonic signature. NOT a bad thing, those pedals sound great but my impression is that the Tone Corset is a bit more rock and roll - but it also has the Blend function which is great of course.

The BiComp is great, I have the second to newest version that doesn't have the Blend function yet but it works great as is. The Juicer side (Orange Squeezer clone) is amazing for overdriven sounds.
Old 1st August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Picked up a Janglebox JB2 version the other day.
I know its specific for the Byrds 12 string sound but to be frank,having compared it to my MilkBox (that i mentioned earlier in the thread) the MilkBox gets pretty close. Tried it on both 6 and 12 string.
Considering the JB2 is a lot more £$ than the MilkBox, i,m feeling a bit underwhelmed by it...I,ll most likely return it.
Anyone have experience with the JB2?
I had a Jangle Box years ago (probably the JB2 but I'm not sure, I went through many pedals....) and my experience was similar to yours. In one word: Hype.

It's a basic (and not particularily good sounding) pedal compressor with boosted treble. My AnalogMan BiComp has a 'Ricky' switch (available as an option) that allows three settings (normal, slight boost, Jangle-type boost) and it sounds WAY better than the JangleBox - and of course it's way more flexible too.

The Byrds/Roger Mc Guinn compressor sound was done with UA 176 compressors if I'm not mistaken, I think they went direct with his Rickenbacker 12-string and used two 176s in series. I don't know if the Cali76 pedal (that gets a lot of praise) can get close to that sound?
Old 2nd August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
^^ Thanks for the feedback.
Its got some mojo but in its price range,i,m sure there is better…imo
I,ll look in to your suggestions and i need to check out the Diamond at some point.
Until then the Milkbox is still my main squeeze
Old 2nd August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
It depends on what you want from the compressor. For me, I needed a clean gain boost with a little added sustain. The Xotic SP pedal does this very well, and does it quietly.
I have 2 SPs, one on each of two boards. I like to run my dirt pedals hot, so when they aren't on, I need a clean boost to compensate. The SP is perfect. I have an A/B loop box so I can choose my dirt chain, or my clean (w/ SP always on) chain.

I run the SP on "low" compression and both knobs at 1:00. Gives the volume boost I need, evens things out, but never sounds "compressed". And the tiny footprint is a plus as well.
Old 3rd August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I had a Jangle Box years ago (probably the JB2 but I'm not sure, I went through many pedals....) and my experience was similar to yours. In one word: Hype.

It's a basic (and not particularily good sounding) pedal compressor with boosted treble. My AnalogMan BiComp has a 'Ricky' switch (available as an option) that allows three settings (normal, slight boost, Jangle-type boost) and it sounds WAY better than the JangleBox - and of course it's way more flexible too.

The Byrds/Roger Mc Guinn compressor sound was done with UA 176 compressors if I'm not mistaken, I think they went direct with his Rickenbacker 12-string and used two 176s in series. I don't know if the Cali76 pedal (that gets a lot of praise) can get close to that sound?
I have an original JB. I like it a lot, but it was really designed specifically for 12-string use, where it excels. It's also good at chicken pickin' sounds. It's kind of a specialty device. The treble enhancement makes it kind of noisey for general compression use.

I have an Origin SlideRig and Cali76. Both are phenomenal, and are so clean it's scary. Simply the best at compressing for sustain without bringing up the noise. Lately I've been leaving one on in the chain most of the time, and using my guitar's volume knob to control the effect. I've never done that with any other compressor.

Also, the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze is a really good compressor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I have an Origin SlideRig and Cali76. Both are phenomenal, and are so clean it's scary. Simply the best at compressing for sustain without bringing up the noise. Lately I've been leaving one on in the chain most of the time, and using my guitar's volume knob to control the effect. I've never done that with any other compressor.
FAKE NEWS!

I'm trying to avoid buying more pedals, doing quite a bit of country stuff, Cali76 might be nice...........I'm trying to avoid buying more pedals....
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
FAKE NEWS!

I'm trying to avoid buying more pedals, doing quite a bit of country stuff, Cali76 might be nice...........I'm trying to avoid buying more pedals....
Well, I'm not saying you need to buy more pedals. I'm just saying you need to buy one more pedal.

If it's any consolation, the large format Origin pedals have been replaced by normal sized pedals. While that may seem like an improvement, it will always leave open at least some possibility that they might not be exactly the same. So you can say, "Ah well, they're not what they used to be" and "I'm not prepared to pay 'vintage' prices for any pedal".

But seriously. Johnny Hiland uses the compact Cali76. I mean, you don't have to get it. That's your, you know, your prerogative. Maybe Johnny Hiland just isn't your cup of tea. Hey, it's a big world. Gotta accept that possibility, no matter how remote it may be. I mean, not everybody wants the sound he gets at 9:26, or 10:45, or 11:50. That's OK. But if you do, then, it's good enough for him, so, I think of it as like a, if you like Johnny Hiland, then you're probably gonna need one.

Last edited by kafka; 3rd August 2017 at 10:28 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I'm not saying you need to buy more pedals. I'm just saying you need to buy one more pedal.
Haha...I hear ya! With me it's even worse - I tend to sell and rebuy some pedals several times like it happened with the Xotic EP Booster (3 times) and AnalogMan BiCompressor (2 times) among others.

Quote:
If it's any consolation, the large format Origin pedals have been replaced by normal sized pedals. While that may seem like an improvement, it will always leave open at least some possibility that they might not be exactly the same. So you can say, "Ah well, they're not what they used to be" and "I'm not prepared to pay 'vintage' prices for any pedal".
And that's what happens a lot with certain pedals, I wonder if some manufacters do that on purpose. So you have maybe 6 versions of the Fulltone OCD and folks debating which ones' best. (Of course it's the one that's rarest and most expensive).

With the Cali76 though I think I like it because the newer version is smaller and has less controls.

Quote:
IBut seriously. Johnny Hiland uses the compact Cali76. I mean, you don't have to get it. That's you're, you know, your prerogative. Maybe you're just not that into Johnny Hiland. Hey, it's a big world. Gotta accept that possibility, no matter how remote it may be. But if you are, then it's good enough for him, so ...

Great player of course! But I'm not really looking for the typical 'modern' chicken picking country sound. I'm more a fan of the old school like James Burton and Albert Lee or 'new old school' players like Vince Gill or Marty Stuart. And those guys generally stay away from compressor pedals.

Anyway, I'll get the EHX Tone Corset eventually and probably sell my Xotic SP comp.
Old 8th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Not that anyone should care about my dumpster-diving bargain counter life, but I'm going through a brief round of budget compressors for a clean, subtle control that responds well to the guitar volume control. I have the Madbean Afterlife on the board right now and it seems to be pretty nice.

It has to be clean -- your signal just goes through one op amp and out. The modulation is done by an optoisolator in its feedback loop.

I have qualms about using a TL0 opamp to pump up a 100uF capacitor for the control voltage, but that's the spec. I used a stronger chip for the original build but I'll try the TL0 too.

And I'm not using a volume control, so it's one knob, no muss no fuss.
Old 8th August 2017
ccg
Gear Addict
I'm a fan of the HBE CPR. $100 to $125 seems right for one used.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

This is a nice compressor - it's about $130. It's Cali Compression fer sure!!

https://xotic.us/effects/sp-compressor

Last edited by Wolf LeProducer; 9th August 2017 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add the link
Old 9th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
This is a nice compressor - it's about $130. It's Cali Compression fer sure!!

https://xotic.us/effects/sp-compressor
Yep...The one thing about it is I don't really like the default setting of the internal DIP switches. There is a high filter engaged, and the optional pad, which takes low frequencies out of the detector, is not engaged. Setting these two switches to the off position gives you a more jangly tone, and doesn't pump when you hit the low strings.
Old 10th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

EHX Tone Corsett Guitar compressor

I bought one of the EHX Tone Corsett compressors after discovering it has the all-important "Blend" control which is another name for parallel compression.

Sweetwater gave me a really good price on it so I reeled it in.

The pedal has True bypass switching, there is a tiny pop when switching the unit in and out of the circuit.

I tested with it ON and blend set all the way to dry, there is a very slight difference between on and off but it's basically uncolored when set to DRY.

Then I advanced the blend control clockwise until it gets to around 11-o'clock position, this was a great compromise between heavy compression and none, I love the sound. There are three knobs to tweak besides the Blend knob.

The volume knob always adjusts the output of the unit when it is ON.

The Sustain knob increases sustain and the Attack knob may increase the speed of attack, it's a subtle difference anywhere it is set. The information in the owners instructions is kind of vague about specifically what the Attack knob does, fortunately it sounds great in any position so it does not matter.

This compressor runs on 9-volt battery or external power, it's the size of a classic MXR stomp box and it sounds great.

The Tone Corsett is knocking the Maxon off my main pedal board.

Good luck and good music to all!
📝 Reply