The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar compressor pedal?
Old 22nd September 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuntedFunkster View Post
Anyone tried the Maxon CP101? had one of these on my pedalboard for a few years before I bought the Keeley.. the CP101 is very smooth, quiet and is very natural sounding.
I tried the cp101 twice ( two different ones ) ... it is very quiet and transparent ... but if you are using hotter than vintage pickups it is hard to get the initial attack up to unity ( matching with the bypass signal ) .. and the buffer in it does thin out the signal a bit in bypass mode...if I was using vintage strat or something like it that would be very high on my list... but with medium output humbuckers on a Les Paul was a no go

I am sure there are other comps that i would like but I stopped looking with the xotic sp... sounds good .. boosts a little if I need it .. the blend control lets me dial in the amount of attack I want... its small and affordable ... and it is quiet enough.... did I say it sounds pretty good too??
Old 22nd September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniglius View Post
Wow did Origin Effects post a cat video on youtube or something? There didn't seem to be much use or interest in these a few months ago when this post began... now it looks like everyone wants one or has one! I'll +1 one them again as I do love mine. Both of them
A few Months ago? Try over 5 years ago, Feb 10 2009 is the date on the first post.

You get caught in a time warp or something?
Old 26th September 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
A few Months ago? Try over 5 years ago, Feb 10 2009 is the date on the first post.

You get caught in a time warp or something?
I meant "when I first posted on the discussion", not "when the post first started", my bad. I don't feel that makes my comment about all the recent thread activity regarding the Cali76 any less true. How come you posted an earnest response "2 weeks ago 07:01pm" , and then followed it up over a week later at "4 Days Ago 08:03 PM" with sarcasm? Time stamps according to gearslutz. Though I suspect if my place in the space-time continuum has been warped, these too may not be accurate.

Last edited by coniglius; 26th September 2014 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 3rd October 2014
Anyone here tried the Strymon comp ? that one looks like a great comp plus the boost but there's not a lot of info or demos out there ...
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Guru

Sliderig demo. Some great clean slide playing by Kirk Lorange:

And the he puts an edge on it ...

Old 3rd October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
All of the compressor pedals that I have and have tried are cool in different ways. The TC Electronic is my favorite for that Bill Frisell clean sound. The old blue Boss one is cool for over the top compression.

Try them as an insert in a mix too. The orange DOD pedal works good this way.
I LOVED my old blue Boss! Good memories.
Old 3rd October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

I have a custom Fromel pedal now. It's really pretty and artful at it's job. Fairly subtle but I play through a 1960 tweed princeton and that has it's own compression characteristics.

Happy playing
Old 4th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Sliderig demo. Some great clean slide playing by Kirk Lorange:

And the he puts an edge on it ...

You...... Bastard......

Has anyone compared this to the wampler ego??????

I must know!!!!
Old 7th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you want the studio compressor sound live, then the Origin Effects Cali76 is the way to go. I'm not gonna hype it up, but really it's like being able to carry your 1176 around with you. Tied for second place would be the Effectrode PC-2A and the original '70s Dyna Comp (the new custom shop scripts are close enough in my opinion). The 1176, LA-2A, and original '70s Dyna Comp really are THE three classic guitar compression sounds and every other of the 100's of pedals out there are just trying to emulate or "improve" them. Until someone comes up with a Vari-Mu pedal, those three are the only pedals worth considering in my opinion. That being said, I do like the electro harmonix Black Finger (tube version), but really it's sort of its own thing, set it to "squash" and it has a really cool sort of dirty sound.
I have both the PC-2A and Cali76-TX. I use the PC-2A for subtle "transparent" sound and Cali76-TX as a "dirty" solo boost. I play rockabilly through a Bluetone Black Face amp (a point-to-point version of a Deluxe / Twin Reverb). Originally I was gonna use the PC-2A as a booster but when I crank it up to distort the sound the level gets too loud. Also I found it to be more transparent. Cali76-TX is a lot more versatile tool and sounds great when squashed but you also lose some highs no matter how subttle the compression you dial in. If I had to choose either I'd choose Cali76-TX. Lucky I don't have to.
Old 7th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Stranded View Post
I have both the PC-2A and Cali76-TX. I use the PC-2A for subtle "transparent" sound and Cali76-TX as a "dirty" solo boost. I play rockabilly through a Bluetone Black Face amp (a point-to-point version of a Deluxe / Twin Reverb). Originally I was gonna use the PC-2A as a booster but when I crank it up to distort the sound the level gets too loud. Also I found it to be more transparent. Cali76-TX is a lot more versatile tool and sounds great when squashed but you also lose some highs no matter how subttle the compression you dial in. If I had to choose either I'd choose Cali76-TX. Lucky I don't have to.

Does the cali have the internal treble lift adjustment? Did you use it? Thanks
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

I had a vintage Ross years ago that was good but I'll take a Tone Press these days
Old 8th October 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargypsy View Post
What's the verdict on best 'transparent' comp for Acoustic guitar? Something that doesn't color tone but just equalizes strumming vs. picking volume...

Actually, the cheap Behringer comp does this pretty well (it also has enough attack adjustment to keep the transients a little punchy..)

Behringer CS400 Compressor / Sustainer Effects Pedal

It's a lot like the CS-3, so some people don't like it. It's likely the best deal for nearly colorless compression. When you get into colors, taste and specific application will drive your choices. (I ended up with an OTA-based comp on my main pedalboard from CMAT Mods).

CMAT pedals - DELUXE SIGNA COMP - Boutique tone in guitar pedals

-tINY

Old 8th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
Does the cali have the internal treble lift adjustment? Did you use it? Thanks
Hi

I believe there is no such thing in Cali76 but to be sure you better ask that straight from the ones who designed and built it; [email protected] or [email protected]. Robin seems to be very nice person and answers quickly to all questions.

Josey
Old 15th December 2014
Here for the gear

perhaps this article will be of use:

Best Compressor Pedal
Old 15th December 2014
Here for the gear

+1 for Wampler. Very happy with mine. It's always on, clean or crunchy. Love that blend knob.
Old 16th December 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
It was a toss-up for me between two Cali76s or a Cali76 and a SlideRig. After some back and forth emails with Origin Effects it turns out I could basically make a more versatile SlideRig with the two Cali76s so I had the best of both worlds. Though with all that control running the two Cali76s in serial, things can get out of hand quickly!
HOLY MOLY, TWO Cali76's!?!
GMK
Gear Nut

Anyone ever tried the Marshall ED-1? "Edward the compressor". Tasty little guy, not very transparent but a wonderful tone. Definitely one of my always on pedals!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Keeley Four Knob. Best I've ever come across for bass or guitar.

Two knob is the same schematic, but I think it has the other two pots inside as surface mount attenuators.
Better on bass than the MXR M87? I've been looking at that one for a while now, only thing I didn't like is the discrete ratio settings instead of a continuous "sustain" setting, but it's very well-liked among bassists I've talked to. But, if the Keeley works as well for "transparent" compression on bass as it does on guitar, I'll just buy one pedal and save $200.
Old 16th December 2014
The guy in The Fixx was using that Marshall before he switched to a Suhr Koji comp.
Old 30th December 2014
Here for the gear

My personal favorite is the Diamond Compressor, but I've only tried 3 in total (the Diamond, a Ross clone, and a BJFE Pine Green) so take it with a grain of salt. Still, if I could only keep one pedal out of my dozen or so I currently have, the Diamond Compressor might be the one I keep. I basically never turn it off.
Old 30th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

If the Bogner Lyndhurst is ever actually released and lives up to the claims (modified 1176-style comp in a stomp), then it will likely be a very attractive option IMO - some of what the Cali76 offers, with a pedalboard-friendly footprint *and* a Neve-designed transformer onboard.

In the meantime, I love what the Cali76 does (and the SlideRig, for that matter), but they're too large to be practical on the road (and bordering on redundant in the studio, where it's pretty easy to patch in a racked 1176), so I confess that for now I'm mostly continuing to rock the Keeley C4.
Old 31st December 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
I recently tested 8 comps. It should be said, there's something for everyone, but it surprised me how many I disqualified on grounds of altering tone. I wasn't looking for an effecty pedal, but an always-on kind of thing, for giving a lift to the playing, not for squash.

I played the 3 versions of the Janglebox, the Wampler, the Diamond, the Keeley 4-knob, the Carl Martin, and the Empress. The Keeley probably gets the most love I've seen anywhere, and the ease with which it is able to sound great makes that praise deserved, but I felt a big drop in low end during my test. Both the Diamond and the Wampler also altered the tonal balance, in the mid or higher registers. Only the Carl Martin and Empress did no harm. I'd put it as a tie between those two if you're looking for a comp to be transparent. I prefer the controls of the Empress; it's like operating an 1176.
Old 31st December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
The guy in The Fixx was using that Marshall before he switched to a Suhr Koji comp.

maybe recently

but in the band's "heyday" Jamie had Allison Research Dyno-Mites built into his custom rack

that was his compression
Old 31st December 2014
Yes that was recently, certainly not his 80's era stuff.
Old 1st January 2015
Jeezst Creeist!
There is no "best pedal".

There is only the one that is appropriate to the sound you're shooting for.

Don't listen to "morons" on the "Innerwebs". Try some out and trust your ears.
Old 1st January 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
maybe recently

but in the band's "heyday" Jamie had Allison Research Dyno-Mites built into his custom rack

that was his compression
I have 4 Allison Gain Brains in my studio rack and one stereo Dynamite. The Gain Brains get a lot more use than the Dynamite.

I would not really want o use either in a live pedalboard though - too fragile and quirky GREAT sound though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The Dynamite has not been in production for over 20 years (if not more,)
FWIW, once you sober up a bit, you might like to check the following link:

Valley People dyna-mite 500 Series Compressor | Sweetwater.com

I have an Empress compressor. I am perfectly happy with it.
Old 1st January 2015

Last edited by Mario-C.; 2nd January 2015 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: meh.
Old 2nd January 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
FWIW, once you sober up a bit, you might like to check the following link:

Valley People dyna-mite 500 Series Compressor | Sweetwater.com

Cool. Do you know how it compares sonically with the original (which I have)?
📝 Reply