The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best guitar compressor pedal? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Maniac

I do love my Tone Press too.
Old 18th September 2010
dsl
Gear Nut

The Mad Professor: Forest Green Compressor (Optical) is excellent.

Very "colorful" if you want it to be.

Mad Professor
Old 18th September 2010
Gear addict

+1 for the mad professor..... It's the best I've tried.
Old 18th September 2010
Gear addict

what about the FMR A.R.C.
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

The Rothwell Love Squeeze is a gem.
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

has anyone out there done a shootout which included the Diamond Compressor?
aside from that the rothwell is looking quite interesting.....
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

One of several reasons I don't use 'em . . .

Those pedals (doesn't matter the brand) take the "oom-pah pah" out of your playing.
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Head

I spent 15 years saying "no compressors please" and then one day i tried a vintage Ross: bought it immediately.

My .02,
Faizz
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear addict

Can anyone comment on the BYOC 5 knob Compressor?

I'm finally looking into getting a compressor.

12 years of playing (wow, has it been that long??) w/ no compression, now I'm finally starting to want one.

That seems like the best deal, just curious what you guys think.
Old 23rd October 2010
Gear Nut

I have tried several and this one just killed me:

MI Audio Compressor

Check out the video demo:

M I - E F F E C T S

Erkka
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
Barber Tone Press with it's mix knob!
Ha! That makes sense.

A while ago I bought the Softube 1176-style compressor plug-in and I played around with it while playing a Tele through DI. I immedeately thought 'Why isn't anybody making a guitar pedal like that where you can do parallel compression?' It just makes total sense because ANY compressor will mess with your attack and weaken out the impact some, it is the admission fee you pay to get the benefits of compression so to say...

As I said earlier I really like the AnalogMan BiComp but the Tone Press is tempting. For a while now I've been using an Xotic EP Booster as my first pedal, I totally love it and it just makes everything sound tougher and better. But it also acts as a boost/buffer and it does affect the compressor that comes after it to a point where I often wish for tad less compression happening even with low setting on the BiComp. BTW, I tried doing it the other way round (EP after BiComp) but didn't like it.

What could work in theory is having the Tone Press add a bit of sustain to a Tele/Strat without messing with the attack too much. And IF I want to mess with the attack, then the Juicer side of the BiComp always delivers, especially for distorted sounds.

EDIT: I just checked a YouTube demo of the Tone Press and this is the first comment displayed there:

why does EVERY ****ing demo about compressors must have country music only ? heh
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Those pedals (doesn't matter the brand) take the "oom-pah pah" out of your playing.
Then you have it set too high.
All compressors can do that, pedal or otherwise.
Old 23rd October 2010
Gear addict

I have the Barber Tone Press. Very nice unit. A client brought over the Jangle Box. OMG! I just can't give it back to him. I've had it here almost a year.When he comes I hide it so he won't take it back. lol. When you plug into it and hear what your guitar sounds like you'll get a huge grin on your face that won't go away. Awesome box. Search one out and try it. Tonal heaven.
Old 30th October 2010
Gear Maniac

I love my Ross clone I built using a PCB from tonepad.com.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Yep, I'm bringing an oldie back to life because I feel it's relevant!

I used a friend's Maxon CP-9 Pro+ last week, and was blown away. The attack was killer, and though not as transparent as some of the optical stuff, the tone was left fully intact to my ears. I'm amazed this box isn't talked about more...
The rest of my gear so you get an idea of what I was using it with:

2004 Epiphone Elitist Les Paul (stock pups)
1998 Jackson Soloist (stock pups)
Marshall JMP-1 for overdrive (OD1 setting)
Mesa Boogie 20/20 amp
Custom sealed cab with a Vintage 30 and a G12H

BTW, I was indeed impressed enough to order one. Unfortunately, it's backordered at musiciansfriend until 01/06/12. It's worth the wait though.

Enjoy,
Paul
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

There's a whole bunch of good ones that do different things. Keeley, Barber, Janglebox and so on. I tried them all and ended up with the Diamond, which has a very transparent rack-like sound. I highly recommend it... very hi-fi sounding, doesn't kill your top end, and has a great tilt EQ. Built like a tank too.
Old 16th February 2012
Here for the gear

guitar compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jittenbach View Post
Anyone tried the Demeter Comp-1 Compulator or the Retro Sonic Compressor?
Hi, I have tried the two , the compulator is very good , but a diferent kind of sound from the retros sonic which is very good too but in the ross area,
the best I have tried so far is the analogman minicomp , for my personal playing style, unfortunately you have to try , I tried the keeley , boss , dyna comp, and barber tone press too, this is my rank:
1-analogman
2 compulator
3 retro sonic and keeley,
4 barber tone press
5 mxr
6 boss
this last 2 I didnt like anyway , because it collors the sound a too much !!
hope it helps...
Old 16th February 2012
Gear interested

Old 16th February 2012
Gear doesn't kill people.

How does the Wampler Ego compare to the Keeley, does anyone know?
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Addict

my personal favourite is the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze (long discontinued and hard to find). the AnalogMan Bi-Comprossor is also very good.
and a real sleeper is the Guyatone ST-2, has the great option of bringing the clean uncompressed signal back in, sort of parallel compression in a pedal .. works great, and the thing is very cheap (and super small).
I personally never liked the Boss compressors, but I've heard some people getting GREAT sounds with them, most notably Mark Linkous / Sparklehorse, so as always a lot depends on the guitar-pedal-amp relation (and the playing style) I guess.
and Lowell George who had one of the greatest compressed guitar sounds ever obviously used either 2 Dynacomps in series (!) or even a LA-2A (however that might have been hooked up to his guitar amp).
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

THE ultimate 80s compressed guitar sound is Jamie West-Oram on The Fixx's "Reach the Beach" album. He would use either a dynacomp or valley dynamite. Chorus was the yellow stereo MXR pedal, split to two Marshall 50w combos for stereo.
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamike View Post
... I also like the old Boss CS-2 (hate CS-3) and Carl Martin.

The old Boss is nice. And yeah, the CS-3 bites.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Keeley doesn't have enough makeup gain. Not a good choice for high output humbuckers, because the bypassed sound will be louder than the compressed sound. Still one of the best for the punchy, twangy country thing.

I really love the Diamond. It's smoother than the Keeley, has an EQ, and plenty of makeup gain.

For bass, I love the Carl Martin (the older boxy one). Super smooth, but the response knob can get the punch. Variable compression ratio, very low noise, high headroom, high output. Like a rack compressor in a pedal.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

from what I've heard, I like the sound of VFE Pedals White Horse & Retro Sonic Compressor V2.
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Head

What's the verdict on best 'transparent' comp for Acoustic guitar? Something that doesn't color tone but just equalizes strumming vs. picking volume...
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

The black Maxxon compressor is said to be _very_ transparent and is well-liked. I personally haven't used it though.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by domokunrox View Post
The presence knob on my Mesa Boogie is the best compressor.
My thoughts precisely!
Old 17th April 2012
I still love the MXR Dynacomp.

There are lots of new sexy pedals, but for old school 70s wokka colored squash, these are wonderful. Also have a Tone Press, but I recently put MXR Dynacomp vs. Tone Press on a super bright guitar, and the MXR won the day.

We Gearslutz all need 2 or 3 of everything, now don't we?
Old 17th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargypsy View Post
What's the verdict on best 'transparent' comp for Acoustic guitar? Something that doesn't color tone but just equalizes strumming vs. picking volume...
Not sure that anything will have zero color, but some things may be more agreeable than others. You could try a Barber Tone Press or a parallel compression pedal. This will allow you to dial in some compression to your existing sound, so in theory, your tone won't be 100% colored unless you turn your knob to "11"
Old 26th November 2012
Ross Compressor pwns
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search