The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best sounding albums. What console was used. Consoles
Old 1 week ago
  #151
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
This thread is an interesting zombie. It will not die and people are passionate about it, one way or another. I do think that it is a quintessentially Gearslutty thread. But I have never understood why it lives here in Remote Possibilities in Accoustic Music and Location Recording ... it doesn't really fit, does it?
Old 1 week ago
  #152
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
This thread is an interesting zombie. It will not die and people are passionate about it, one way or another. I do think that it is a quintessentially Gearslutty thread. But I have never understood why it lives here in Remote Possibilities in Accoustic Music and Location Recording ... it doesn't really fit, does it?
Yes I agree Jim, it's got no relation to recording on location matters...and threatens to implode or collapse into itself like a dying star.

Migration is most likely a Moderator's discretionary act and pleasure....I'd suggest "So Much Gear....." would be a good home, and likely to attract fresh input, to keep it going for a few more millenia yet ?
Old 1 week ago
  #153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
This thread is an interesting zombie. It will not die and people are passionate about it, one way or another. I do think that it is a quintessentially Gearslutty thread. But I have never understood why it lives here in Remote Possibilities in Accoustic Music and Location Recording ... it doesn't really fit, does it?
Wow, I never realized that. I only ever find it while searching google on some gear related topic. I'll probably find itvagain in a couple of years...still alive. Very weird. It should definitely he moved.
Old 1 week ago
  #154
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yes I agree Jim, it's got no relation to recording on location matters...and threatens to implode or collapse into itself like a dying star.

Migration is most likely a Moderator's discretionary act and pleasure....I'd suggest "So Much Gear....." would be a good home, and likely to attract fresh input, to keep it going for a few more millenia yet ?
Totally agree!
Old 1 week ago
  #155
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytopaz View Post
I'm not ignoring anything.
You missed the point completely.
I was not sonically comparing guitar gear to consoles.
I was saying that people use equipment that sounds different from one another to get a desired sound.
An SSL does NOT sound like a Neve. That is a fact...but, you can use either one to get a desired sound.
You are chasing the sound in your head. Good gear will allow you to do that. To most people, it will sound the same because you mixed it that way, but there will be subtle differences and that's where the signal path and components of a given console comes in.
It has it's own tone subtleties.
No mention of humidity etc. Consoles do have a sound. There is no denying that. It explains why I thought of two different artists albums and found a thread in both, tonally, that I liked (even though their music is totally different) and, when I researched it, found it was not only the same brand, but the same board. I must have heard something through the "temperature" and "humidity" that sounded the same to me.
I think it's interesting. I don't know why someone would get upset by it.
If they think it's a waste of time, read another thread. There's plenty of them out there.
I didn't start this thread , but through the years I kept seeing it while searching other topics. This last time it hit me. I couldn't understand why people just dismissed it. It seemed to upset some. Weird.
I don't usually chime in...and I probably won't again...but, I love gear and find the topic interesting. I love the tonal differences of consoles and it's cool to hear what people did on different consoles and combinations of gear.
It's great reading "so and so used such and such console with a sidecar of xyz". It's informative. I don't see anything wrong with that.
People didn't pick Columbia's 30th street studio in NYC for its "console", most musicians wouldn't have known it from the furnace room - they picked that studio for its space, proximity, engineering talent and location - in fact, the console in that room changed a few times. Same with Capitol, Sunset Sound, etc., the overall vibe and whether or not the space was right for the project was the primary draw of most locales for recording back then. If you were at Abbey Road, you had three rooms to choose from, the console that was installed in a particular space was the one that was used.

I never said there wasn't a "difference" in sound from one console to another, what I said was, and once again you've ignored, was that the sound of the console is overcome by so many other factors it's a fruitless exercise to try and pick it out. This is not what you want to "hear", however, so like many gearheads, you won't be satisfied until you get the answer you want.

I don't worship at the alter of gear, I've been in enough studios behind enough equipment to not care anymore, I follow George Martin's advice - "All You Need Is Ears"!
Old 1 week ago
  #156
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytopaz View Post
Whatever. Don't know why it bothers you that someone likes to know what consoles were used on what recordings. They do have a sound. I hear it. There are other factors, but it also is a factor. I'm just curious to know how people used that sound in their work.
None of this bothers me, and I doubt it "bothers" other posters too, but you guys keep repeating the same false premise every single time... The sound of the console is usually covered beneath the sound of all the other variables by the time the record/CD hits the shelf...and oftentimes several consoles, outboard preamps and other processors are used in the production of a record, how do you identify and separate all the different sounds?

Quote:
No absolutes. Just info. I've heard many engineers and producers favor a particular console because of it's sound. I, for one, have never argued about using anything to identify anything.
I just mentioned that I actually, in one case, had identified a console by it's tone and thought that was cool. I thought it would be informative to read accurate info, as to who used what console on what recordings, to see if there were common threads and to hear how people used that gear. Good late night reading. That's all. What's the big deal?
I find it intersting.
You need to keep in mind that the premise of the thread is about identifying the console(s) used in the production of a song...no wonder you're frustrated with the discussion.
Old 1 week ago
  #157
Here for the gear
 

And the basement tapes were recorded in a nightmare of a space with horrible acoustics on sub-par (even for the time) equipment
And Exile on Mainstreet was recorded in the basement at Villa Nelcote in France using a mobile studio.

Granted I'm not so much of a gear nerd but there are a lot of great classic albums that don't have the greatest recording.
Strangely I find that I like them that way. Remixes usually lose something IMO.
If it's decent it's good enough. After that it's the music.

EDIT: Yes I've follow things off the rails. It's about the console. My bad.
Old 1 week ago
  #158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
None of this bothers me, and I doubt it "bothers" other posters too, but you guys keep repeating the same false premise every single time... The sound of the console is usually covered beneath the sound of all the other variables by the time the record/CD hits the shelf...and oftentimes several consoles, outboard preamps and other processors are used in the production of a record, how do you identify and separate all the different sounds?


You need to keep in mind that the premise of the thread is about identifying the console(s) used in the production of a song...no wonder you're frustrated with the discussion.
You guys? How did I get lumped in with anyone? Yesterday was my first time posting on this thread.
I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a list of consoles used on specific recordings. Not a guessing game. I like reading about peoples choices of gear, how they use it and how it might differ or line up with the way that I work. Again, consoles, especially when driving them, have a sound. It adds to all of the other factors. If you kept everything the same, and switched out the console, it would sound different.
I have no desire to guess or to read about anyone's guesses. I want to read facts and form my own opinion. I was under the impression that this is what this thread was supposed to be about. It seemed like that was what the person who started it was asking for. I felt bad that he was constantly being taken to task for it. So I put in my two cents. And now I'm being taken to task and being accused of making points that I never made. I really didn't appreciate the "you guys" thing.
Old 1 week ago
  #159
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytopaz View Post
You guys? How did I get lumped in with anyone? Yesterday was my first time posting on this thread.
I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a list of consoles used on specific recordings. Not a guessing game. I like reading about peoples choices of gear, how they use it and how it might differ or line up with the way that I work. Again, consoles, especially when driving them, have a sound. It adds to all of the other factors. If you kept everything the same, and switched out the console, it would sound different.
I have no desire to guess or to read about anyone's guesses. I want to read facts and form my own opinion. I was under the impression that this is what this thread was supposed to be about. It seemed like that was what the person who started it was asking for. I felt bad that he was constantly being taken to task for it. So I put in my two cents. And now I'm being taken to task and being accused of making points that I never made. I really didn't appreciate the "you guys" thing.
It might've been a good idea for you to have considered (read the thread?) the points made in the thread - all very logical.

Instead, you flew through the barn door with a restart and a lack of interest in considering any of the sound, logical points made - it's not surprising you'd be lumped in as a "you guys" - what do you expect ?
Old 1 week ago
  #160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
People didn't pick Columbia's 30th street studio in NYC for its "console", most musicians wouldn't have known it from the furnace room - they picked that studio for its space, proximity, engineering talent and location - in fact, the console in that room changed a few times. Same with Capitol, Sunset Sound, etc., the overall vibe and whether or not the space was right for the project was the primary draw of most locales for recording back then. If you were at Abbey Road, you had three rooms to choose from, the console that was installed in a particular space was the one that was used.

I never said there wasn't a "difference" in sound from one console to another, what I said was, and once again you've ignored, was that the sound of the console is overcome by so many other factors it's a fruitless exercise to try and pick it out. This is not what you want to "hear", however, so like many gearheads, you won't be satisfied until you get the answer you want.

I don't worship at the alter of gear, I've been in enough studios behind enough equipment to not care anymore, I follow George Martin's advice - "All You Need Is Ears"!
Don't be a dick. There's no reason to attack me. That was totally uncalled for. What answer am I supposed to want? What you keep ignoring is that I was just looking to read facts (not guessing...actual facts) about who used what on what recording for info and entertainment. That's it! I don't need a lesson from you telling me that all I need is ears. WTF dude. Chill out.
Old 1 week ago
  #161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
It might've been a good idea for you to have considered (read the thread?) the points made in the thread - all very logical.

Instead, you flew through the barn door with a restart and a lack of interest in considering any of the sound, logical points made - it's not surprising you'd be lumped in as a "you guys" - what do you expect ?
I did a search for something on Google, saw the page on the thread and it seemed like this guy was pleading for info and no matter how many analogies he made about the consoles being part of the sound, it seemed like people were saying it didn't matter. In the grand scheme, you can work on anything and make it sound good. In the late 70s early 80s, I did home demos on an old Tapco that sounded great. But even that Tapco had a sound. I like reading about that kind of stuff before bed. I didn't "restart" anything. The posts were current, starting two weeks ago. I saw it yesterday.
Old 1 week ago
  #162
Lives for gear
 

This is the first sentence in the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
Hey slutz,

This is a new twist on an old theme. What is your favorite recording that you can say fairly accurately was recorded and mixed primarily on such and such console.
Old 1 week ago
  #163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
This is the first sentence in the OP:
OK...that's rediculous. Sorry. I'm out.
Old 1 week ago
  #164
Lives for gear
 
Wyllys's Avatar
 

What limo delivered the musicians to the studio?
Old 1 week ago
  #165
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
What limo delivered the musicians to the studio?
It was a 1990 Lincoln Town car with a 4.9-liter, 8-cylinder, V-twin engine, which produced 130 HP and 312 Nm torque. The engine was coupled to a 4-speed automatic transmission.

It had BFGoodrich tires, STP motor oil and Texaco unleaded gasoline...not sure about the brake fluid and coolant used.
Old 1 week ago
  #166
Lives for gear
 
Wyllys's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
What limo delivered the musicians to the studio?
It was a 1990 Lincoln Town car with a 4.9-liter, 8-cylinder, V-twin engine, which produced 130 HP and 312 Nm torque. The engine was coupled to a 4-speed automatic transmission.

It had BFGoodrich tires, STP motor oil and Texaco unleaded gasoline...not sure about the brake fluid and coolant used.
Thanks for the info. Now...did Lincoln write the Gettysburg address with a pen or a pencil?
Old 1 week ago
  #167
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Thanks for the info. Now...did Lincoln write the Gettysburg address with a pen or a pencil?
Neither...he used a left wing feather quill from a male bald Eagle and Iron Gall ink...the real secret however is the exact formula of the ink. By studying the formula we can identify the makeup of all inks.

Last edited by Samc; 1 week ago at 09:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
It was a 1990 Lincoln Town car with a 4.9-liter, 8-cylinder, V-twin engine, which produced 130 HP and 312 Nm torque. The engine was coupled to a 4-speed automatic transmission.

It had BFGoodrich tires, STP motor oil and Texaco unleaded gasoline...not sure about the brake fluid and coolant used.
Most of the Blues Brothers sound was because of the Bluesmobile... had nothing to do with Paul/Steve/Duck/Willie/....
Old 1 week ago
  #169
Lives for gear
 
roonsbane's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
samc said that the original premise of the thread was:
Quote:
What is your favorite recording that you can say fairly accurately was recorded and mixed primarily on such and such console.
While this is the case, I also apologized and said later in the thread that I wished I had never started the thread as I did! I admitted that it was a bad way to ask. I also then tried my best to push the thread in the direction that I had hoped for.
Unfortunately of course people don't always have the time to fully read the entire thread before posting. I do it too.

So yes, I also wish that the thread could be deleted!

Believe me, I am sorry for ever having started it!
I am SO sorry!
Cameron
Old 1 week ago
  #170
Lives for gear
 
roonsbane's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I just want to say that on more than one occasion, I absolutely have set my Hapi /Sequoia rig to the side of our Neve on certain types of recordings to bypass the console's sound. This was because I felt that its sound was not what I wanted on this recording! I think anyone with reasonable ears would have heard the difference! This was quite a lot of extra work for me, but I felt it was important.
Cameron
Old 1 week ago
  #171
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yes I agree Jim, it's got no relation to recording on location matters...and threatens to implode or collapse into itself like a dying star.

Migration is most likely a Moderator's discretionary act and pleasure....I'd suggest "So Much Gear....." would be a good home, and likely to attract fresh input, to keep it going for a few more millenia yet ?
Done deal, studer58!
Old 1 week ago
  #172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytopaz View Post
Wow, I never realized that. I only ever find it while searching google on some gear related topic. I'll probably find itvagain in a couple of years...still alive. Very weird. It should definitely he moved.
What's it doing in the Guitar Forum now?
Old 1 week ago
  #173
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
What's it doing in the Guitar Forum now?
Is there a drum sub forum? I'd really like to get a drummer's take on the subject.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Blast9 / So much gear, so little time
73
anne_paranoid / So much gear, so little time
3
ixnys / So much gear, so little time
83

Forum Jump
Forum Jump