The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fane 12" speakers worth?
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear

Fane 12" speakers worth?

I have a Hiwatt 4x12 cab from 1978. Contains 4 Fane steel frame, 16 Ohm, 50Watt speakers. I want to keep the cab and load it with Celestions, and then sell the 4 Fanes at a guitar show. Anyone know what the 4 Fanes might be worth, please? Are they sought after, or not really?

date codes on the speakers show "24/78", serial #s in the 11,000's. That's it. They look kind of industrial: no label on magnet, steel frame, not a fully round magnet (two opposite flat edges on the round perimeter of the magnet). Please see attched pic.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Fane 12" speakers worth?-fane.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear

whoops...serial #s are in the 25,000's, not 11,000's.
Old 3rd May 2008
Gear Maniac

Dude, how much do you want I'm interested!
Old 3rd May 2008
Gear Head

hey

I have the same Hiwatt cab. Solid as a rock isn't it. I love it, but the fanes have their own character. A little dark maybe? I have thought about switching out the speakers because the cab is so solid. I can't really help you out with the price of them, but they are supposed to be crazy vintage collectibles. I have been offered $800 + for the cab. let me know if you find a price!
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Worth more than any Celestions, imo, but I do think there's a place for each. Hiwatts just sound right with Fanes and Marshalls just sound right with [good] Celestions. I love Fanes and I own a few, but I don't think you'll get what they're worth, especially at a guitar show. I'd stick 'em in a box for safe keeping or buy another cab. You might break even if you sell them and blow your wad on Celestions.
Old 4th May 2008
I think Fanes are soooooo much nicer than celestions, I take that back, they're JUNK!
quickly sell me you Hiwatt cabinet for 100 bucks
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Maniac

The coveted Fane speaker is the early 70's 25watt version with the cast frame. These go for some good money any where between $100-$200 per speaker. The ones you have are more readily available and are not worth as much... probably about $75-$100 a piece. PM me if you'd like to sell them, I have a few friends who love Hiwatt gear and will pay you good money for them!
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

I just bought a Ross 4x12 cab loaded with fane speakers. They don't say anything on there model wise, just Fane acoustics LTD Batley West Yorks Made in England. Does anyone know if these are worth anything? i paid $300 for the cab did I get ripped! The speakers have a black metal frame with a silver label with black writing.
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

Here are the speakers https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EyH8Hevkzdvp2Xb9
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search