The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Blues Jr OR Laney vc15 110? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Fender Blues Jr OR Laney vc15 110?

Hey Gearslutz.

I'm currently getting rid of my 10 yr old.. 1st amp ever... fender ultimate chorus 360W. Its solid State and i'm taking the plunge to tube. Admitedly it does have a nice clean sound but hopefully my new tube practice amp will fit the bill.

This is for my home/project studio. I've been using my PodXt until now for gtr recordings. Easily the weakest part of my chain. and I'm a flippin guitarist!

So.. Whatcha reckon... They're both similarily priced.
I need something versatile with luvely tube warmth.

I've tried the laney vc15 110 and it was pretty sweet. The store doesn't have the fender in stock so no go there.

Whatcha reckon?

I need clean, and a little bit dirty. I've got a TONEBONE Trimode tube distortion pedal for my dirt.

Anyone tried both?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

No experience with the Laney......but you may want to look at the Fender Pro Jr. as opposed to the BJ.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd go for the Laney. Hard to beat for the money.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I really want to aplaude your descision to upgrade. You're doing the right thing, but are those your only choices? The problem with the BJ or pro jr. or hot rod whatever is that they sound kinda close. . .There are issues with the speakers and transformers, not so much in reliability as in performance. These amps are way to bright!

I've always been a fan of the Laney sound ever since Vinnie Moore had those white ones. These days however, I think there might be some reliability issues.

Here's what I suggest. Don't buy anything yet. Save your $$$ and increase the amount. In the mean time find a couple of cool, vintage shops. Ask the salesmen which old amps they are lusting after. Get them to argue amongst themselves. I guarantee you they've already picked one. Get them to demonstrate. Play on them for a while. LISTEN to them. Just because it has tubes doesn't make it good. It still has to sound complex. Usually you'll know within the couple of seconds. Play old Fenders, old Boogies, old Marshalls, whatever you like. Once you've found one you like call a GOOD tech and ask him about the amp. How much to bias the new power tubes you may need to put in. How much to recap? etc., etc.

Be prepared to spend as much as you can.

Buy less stuff.

Buy better stuff.

In the meantime, LISTEN and play as many cool amps as you can.

Good luck
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiepalooza View Post
The problem with the BJ or pro jr. or hot rod whatever is that they sound kinda close. . .

Ah....truth.
I use mine (I have both but prefer PJ) in combination with a couple of other small tube amps. The PJ tightens things up when it is deployed.

Good post, by the way.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Great. Thanks for all the responses. I'm a little bit torn on shifting this ultimate chorus solid-state a tiny bit. Only because its clean sounds and chorus are pretty sweet...
Or maybe i'm just used to the sound.
Might get a JC-120 to replace as well as a tube amp.

Either of those amps deliver a good reliable clean sound?

As for the Pro Jr. Fairly lacking in tonal variations no?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Laneys are a good deal for the money. You'll get a lot of tube-amp for your bucks. I can't speak for the VC15. My LH50 is built like a tank and wasn't much more expensive than your VC15.

However, most Laneys have a "design-flaw" that you should be aware of: They have an Opamp between the pre and power amplifier. Not a problem by itself, but they've been paranoid about oscillation prevention. There is a lowpass filer built inside the circuit that goes into the hearable range.

Something similar is right in front of the phase-inverter tube btw.

Any Laney user should get that thing removed or at least the corner frequency raised. The sound will open up a lot and will sound a lot more alive.

For a qualified tech this is a 10 minutes job.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

I'd put that money that is buring a hole in your pocket away for just a bit longer till you can afford a Gries 5
http://www.griesamps.com/id4.html

"The Five is based on the single-ended 6V6 blackface amp with a few enhancements. The Gain control blends the tone stack out of the circuit, changing the tone from blackface clean to tweed "crunch" and adds back all the gain that a passive EQ removes. An efficient 12" speaker adds a fullness to the sound that no 8" speaker can even approach. Finally, the Master helps throttle this volume down to bedroom levels when that's all you need. Available as a 1 x 12" combo with Eminence Tonkerlite speaker or as a head."

Front Panel Controls
Volume, Treble, Bass, Gain, Master, AC (Power)

All tube, PTP hand build 5 watts Class A. $749.00 for the Combo

Another fine amp is the Reeves Custom 12 combo $899.00
http://www.reevesamps.com/amps.htm

Also the Zinky Supro Baby model 50
13 watts $630.00
http://www.wildwestguitars.com/zinkyhome.htm
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Lol.. money burning a hole in my pocket. Got no money! :p

Think i'm def gonna get something from my local shop Tom Lee Music - Hong Kong Music, Hong Kong Musical Instrument
those amps are a bit boutique/holy grail for my liking.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search