The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Orange or Bogner cab for metal/rock music ?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Orange or Bogner cab for metal/rock music ?

I record mostly metal/hardcore and rock music, and I need a cab to record my amps in the studio (5150, Randall, JCM800...).
My needs are a 2x12' cab that sounds huge, big sounding bass, sweet highs, and balanced mids with V30 speakers in it (great for metal).

I did a search and preselected ORANGE and BOGNER 2x12' cabs.
Did you try to record them ? Did you compare them ? What did you like/dislike with those cabs ? They are in the same price range.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
I record mostly metal/hardcore and rock music, and I need a cab to record my amps in the studio (5150, Randall, JCM800...).
My needs are a 2x12' cab that sounds huge, big sounding bass, sweet highs, and balanced mids with V30 speakers in it (great for metal).

I did a search and preselected ORANGE and BOGNER 2x12' cabs.
Did you try to record them ? Did you compare them ? What did you like/dislike with those cabs ? They are in the same price range.
We are doing this project at the studio recording and mixing indie bands for an upcoming website Woozyfly.com Member Created Radio, Live Bands, Social Networking, Buy Music

We have done about 30 bands so far. I see the Orange stuff frequently. Their reissue gear is NICE. Has tons of volume, crisp, very easy to record. I even reccommend Orange amps to the olt timers. I like the new modern sound and the Orange is the one for it.

We use a Marshall JCM 800 for the shooting, and unfortuneatly we keep the cabs under packing blankets to get some isolation so you won't see them in the videos.
But I'm hardcore oldskool and the Orange cabs really caught my ears..Especially for rock and metal.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah Orange seems to be the real deal ! I'd love to try them but I don't play guitar and they are very difficult to try in shops around here.
Thanks for the input, I'll listen to your music when I'm back from work thumbsup
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Both are Great! You really can't lose with either. If i'm not mistaken, the Orange has V30's. The Bogner has greenbacks. The Bogner also has casters! That Orange 2x12 cab is heavy, physically heavy! I bought the Bogner. Absolutely fan****intastic!!!

But, then again, I don't play metal. At least not for more than a 30-60 sec cue.
Old 12th September 2007
I record a lot of hard rock and metal and in my experience Orange cabs are usually a bit muddy and dark with most amps (although this is often their appeal too, depending on the amp). You can still make it sound great but the Bogner cabs generally get me where I'm trying to go much more easily; they're cleaner and seem to create a bit less low end mud, which is important for a lot of metal music (but not always).

Cory
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Bogner is definately cleaner. . . and open.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

We have a number of orange cabs. None are muddy or dark. V30 are brighter and more aggressive then greenbacks by design. If the bogner has greenbacks it definitely will not be cleaner or more open sounding

By the way orange has 2 types of quads slanted and straight. Very different characteristics. The slanted cab is more open and "diffused". The straight cab has a lot of punch, less finess, more muscle.

Yuri
Old 13th September 2007
Keep in mind though just how much the cabinet itself is affecting the sound. If I have a head plugged into a Bogner cab, and I unplug it and plug it into an Orange cab, and the Orange cab sounds darker, then I'm going to go ahead and say the Orange sounds darker. Just my experience.

And maybe "muddy" wasn't quite the word I was looking for. But my experience was definitely that the Orange cabs (these were straight cabs, a 2x12 and a 4x12) were darker than the Bogners.

By the way, Bogner 2x12 cabs ship standard with Vintage 30's, not Greenbacks.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have many Bogner and Orange cabs. Bogner Ubercab is the sh!t for metal. Fu<k the 2X12. Go 4X12 Ubercab.... Man Up Metal Boy!!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
By the way, Bogner 2x12 cabs ship standard with Vintage 30's, not Greenbacks.
You may be right about that. I got mine used and definately has greenbacks. The store where I got it also carries orange. When I A/B'd them using a rockerverb 50, the Orange sounded good. Not muddy, but darker. . .Maybe not even darker just tighter. The Bogner by contrast, has a much bigger, more open sound. Lower lows and higher highs.
I love this cab!!! I'd always thought that the greenbacks would be break up quicker, too. Boy was I wrong. The clean sound absolutely fantastic. A whole ****load better than the V30's. I can't say enough about it. Just about the perfect closed back 2x12.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the info, I think the Bogner 2x12" will do it for me, as I record more metal stuff than rock stuff.
The 4x12" Ubercab looks sweet but it's out of my price range :( and difficult to find in Europe.
Do you have some samples recorded through that Bogner cab ? I'm curious.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

orange=Rock
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
orange=Rock
Yes. Orange cab is to rock as The Bogner Ubercab is to metal
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, I think the Bogner 2x12" will do it for me, as I record more metal stuff than rock stuff.
The 4x12" Ubercab looks sweet but it's out of my price range :( and difficult to find in Europe.
Do you have some samples recorded through that Bogner cab ? I'm curious.
I will record some ubercab samples next time I have a metal session. I mostly do rock.

I got an ubercab off fleabay for $750. Shipping wasn't that bad. Obviously, it came loaded. I would search the used market / ebay. They are out there. There is nothing that is even comparable for metal tones.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

The problem is that even if you can pick a Bogner cab on US ebay for a cheap price, the shipping cost + custom taxes to Europe would make the final price too high.
Sometimes we can find used cabs here, but it's quite rare.
Can't wait to hear some samples.
I hope my 5150+Bogner 2x12" will sound great !!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope my 5150+Bogner 2x12" will sound great !!
I am sure it will kick 2 tons of ass.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

I would have gone for the Bogner convertable back 2X12 simply for versatility.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I'd get a Std Rect Mesa 4x12 instead of 2x12 Bogner.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarts View Post
I'd get a Std Rect Mesa 4x12 instead of 2x12 Bogner.
sorry to hear that
Old 13th September 2007
old rectos are cool. put some generalelectric KT tubes in there, and its a hell lot of an amp :D

try our labog if you can, killeramp, never had maintenance issues so far and it sounds like a real valve amp, not like cheapo transistor as most of todays amps..

cheers
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
sorry to hear that
Why, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Guys, I've just bought the Bogner 2x12" oversized/closed back cab in vintage finish ! I hope it will rock !!
Old 28th September 2007
DRC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiepalooza View Post
If i'm not mistaken, the Orange has V30's. The Bogner has greenbacks.
All of my Bogner cabs (closed back 2x12 & 1x12 cubes) came with Vintage 30's. Maybe the Shiva 2x12 has Greenbacks, but not all Bogners.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear
Orange Bogner What!!!!

If you are looking for a good 2x12 cabinet, here are the things you have to ask.

1. What kind of wood. Baltic Birch or Pine: Birch less resonant than pine.
2. Open or closed back cabinet. Closed more directional and probably a bit more bass. Open back, breathes more and tone circulates a space less directionally.
3. Speakers: I have 3 cabs. Open back with a Celestion blue and a G12H-30: Chimey sounding. The second open back with a Weber Blue Ceramic and a Tone tubby Alnico: very syrupy, the third is a closed back with 2 green backs. All are Pine cabs.
All 3 of these cabs are quality built.

Here is a good sight to look at read up on cabinets and speakers.

South Valley Vintage Amps

This guy is a gem to deal with.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Because the Bogners and Oranges eat the mesa cabs. EAT THEM. Tighter, punchier, clearer, more 3d, more definition, less woof. Heard it first hand. Night and day
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mesa sounds like an electric cheese grater or old worn out motorcycle engines.

there are a few cool sounds in them, but they have been used by SO many effin people to death, that the guitarists have no identity who use them. A good sound out of a Mesa, unfortunately, has become the flavor vanilla.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have a Bogner 4x12 and it slays anything else I've seen. No comparison out there.

...but they use the same cab manufacturer as a few other boutique companies, but the cabs are still built to their spec.

oh... the 4x12 has V30s in it, not greenbacks, and I dunno about the 2x12 however.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Because the Bogners and Oranges eat the mesa cabs. EAT THEM. Tighter, punchier, clearer, more 3d, more definition, less woof. Heard it first hand. Night and day
Quote:
Mesa sounds like an electric cheese grater or old worn out motorcycle engines.
Being user of both Bogner cabinets & amps myself I find both of these statements unjustified. I've been lucky to own & extensively use Bogner, Mesa & Orange cabinets & found that each cabinet had its own place & very much could depend on the amp head used with it. I'm sorry, but if Mesa cabinets sound to you like "an electric cheese grater or old worn out motorcycle engines" then there must be something wrong with the way you use them.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry, but if Mesa cabinets sound to you like "an electric cheese grater or old worn out motorcycle engines" then there must be something wrong with the way you use them.
I am sorry, I should have been clearer... I was talking about the amps. The cabinets are great.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I created a thread to post some examples of guitars recorded through a Bogner Uberkab (V30 miced), you can find it HERE
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search