The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help: My Rectifier sounds different each day!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmm....making shure the amp gets hot...turning off the air condition in the room etc improved the situation a alittle........maybe the components works better when you can fry an egg on the amp?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

It has nothing to do with the amp. This is as common as cheese

Every sound you hear is contrasted by the sound you heard before it. No day is the same in this regard. Also if you have any fluids in the sinus sounds will be slightly different each day.

The difference heated tubes make could not account for the perception problems. The clip, to me, means nothing because this is experienced while in front of the amp ---making the mic moot.(with the below conditions)

PS. conditiions----Im assuming you wouldnt post this without first checking your internal wiring of your pickups to see if the connections are not slightly severed(making the sound change everytime you move it.) And also that you are actually hearing the difference in the amp and its not a mic connection or diaphram problem.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

How about a dirty Presence or treble pot? Or a dirty "spongy/bold" switch? There could be some crud in there acting like a semiconductor which would be affected by temperature, mood etc.

Or maybe you have a hearing problem heh
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Head

Can't remember, does the rectifier go to eleven? Try turning it to eleven.
Old 18th September 2007
js1
Lives for gear

The difference ain't subtle, I agree.

I have a Mesa Nomad that seemed to change sound day to day. Thought it was my imagination, but I never did what you did (prove it by recording it).

Eventually the bad sound became the standard sound. I ripped the amp apart, and reflowed the solder on the board and retentioned the tube sockets. All was better after that. Well, almost all better. Still not sure about channel 3.

This wasn't the first time that I pulled it apart. The first time, a screen grid resistor from the power stage fell off the board.

Not saying that you have the same root cause, but in my case it was a product defect.

js
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
How about a dirty Presence or treble pot? Or a dirty "spongy/bold" switch? There could be some crud in there acting like a semiconductor which would be affected by temperature, mood etc.

Or maybe you have a hearing problem heh
there is so much crap inside rectifiers that does not need to be there that I would suspect any number of the semiconducters that Mesa actually puts inside them before I suspected a "dirty switch".
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryC View Post
tubes (amp & mics & effects), temperature, humidty, the gtr itself (temp & humidity), and time of day (unless you have isolated power) ..jmho
Not to mention your playing.
Old 29th September 2007
Gear Addict

Actually technically speaking there are a few things inside that amp that could explain what you are experiencing. The most obvious that comes to mind is the heater voltage of the first two tubes. I not at work so I'm only recalling this from my limited memory, but the first two tubes run on DC unlike the rest of the tubes which run on AC. The 4 diodes making up the bridge are located in the center of the PCB and are frequently overheated to the point of melting the solder joints sometimes. Since this 6VDC circuit powers much of the switching and the heaters of those two tubes. These diodes and filter caps can cause the 6VDC supply to vary a little. Now just a little would be all it would take to change the tone of the amp since it powering critical componets of the amp.

I take it to a Mesa Certified repair center and have them look at it.

-Tony
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

I decided I needed a "quick fix" to get some studio work done so I got a new Peavey 6505 (5150) and it sounds exactly the same every single day. I was sick and tired of hoping my Recto to be "in a good mood" even though I love the tone in it.

So...i've decided to sell this particular Rectifier and get a new one. If it can't work in a stable manner it's not suited in for use in a studio. All tech places in my country have a "policy" not to work on gear with periodical problems (they have limited skils, limited knowledge about the products, they are chicken etc).

Anyways, i've heard that Triple Rectifiers are actually "tighter" sounding then Dual Rectos and that many metalplayers perfer the Triple ones for this particular reason....but I have not been able to test my self and no stores here have both amps in. Anyone here with any experience on this matter?
Old 14th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
I'm having this happening to me a lot. One day I set the sound and i'm happy with it and the next day when I come back it sounds totally different even when the setup is still the same. Di'd not change ANYTHING AT ALL. It almost sounds as the mic was moved but it was NOT (100% shure).
I also changed all my tubes, but this still goes on...I also run a Voltage regulator. I've also experienced this with other guitar cabs then this one.

http://home.online.no/~mstra/rectifier_day1_day2.mp3

Here's a clip of my Rectifier one day and then the next day. Sounds different!! The first day it sounds darker voiced and way cooler, the next day it sound fizzier. Exactly the same setup.

Is your MESA an american model? seeing your .no address I take it you are in norway?
Or is your amp the 220 volt version? Since the Mesa can't be switched and the power tranny is different from a Marshall you can't just switch it and or re-wire it to get it to work with either 110 or 220.

Maye it's a power thing. But like mentioned, check your caps and tubes d00d
Old 14th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post

Anyways, i've heard that Triple Rectifiers are actually "tighter" sounding then Dual Rectos and that many metalplayers perfer the Triple ones for this particular reason....but I have not been able to test my self and no stores here have both amps in. Anyone here with any experience on this matter?
The Triple recto has more watts if I'm not mistaking, so in turn, yes it will sound tighter. Depending on the cab you are using.

I have heard that the dual recto is what people prefer. Ask Tracey @ voodoo amps.
google voodoo amplification. He has great knowledge on Mesa stuff. And he will tell you why HE thinks the dual rec is btter.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search