The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good dist Pedals for just a pinch more gain. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2007
Good dist Pedals for just a pinch more gain.

I like JCM800's orange Rockerverbs and such. I want to buy the orange tinyterror cause I recorded it and was knocked out. But Metal guys want more gain for squeals and harmonics and whatever. What would be a good pedal to give me that small amount more of saturation gain? Please dont say Metal Zone.
Old 7th September 2007

Boss DS-1 could be one. One of the few distortion pedals that I would use.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Boss Super Overdrive is the traditional hard rock pedal to put on the front of a JCM800.

You could join the 'clean boost' revolution as well- loads of people are making pedals that give up to 20db of clean boost which pushes the preamp harder- the idea that the distortion comes from the amp and not the pedal.

I use a VoodooLab Sparkledrive for this- which is like a hotrodded TS808.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

I have the Danelectro Daddy O and one of the new re-issue TS-808's,
worth a try anyway.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I have the Danelectro Daddy O and one of the new re-issue TS-808's,
worth a try anyway.
I have a Daddy-O.
Have you tried the Monte Allums mod for it?
If not you should check it out- it is a decent pedal stock (a bit fizzy though) but modded it is off the f*cking chain.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I dig the boss turbo distortion
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Tone Czar OPEN HAUS

Nothing can fuk with it for that.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
Boss DS-1 could be one. One of the few distortion pedals that I would use.
Do yourself a favor and get the AnalogMan-modded DS-1, it's SO much better than the stock Boss one. I played quite a few gigs where other guitar players in the audience couldn't believe rthat I used the DS-1, because the sound is full, punchy and round but still very transparent whereas the stock DS-1 is on the brittle and thin side.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using an Analogman modified Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Screamer. Lots of gain, four gain stage settings, sounds good with all my guitars.

DaveT
Old 7th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Do yourself a favor and get the AnalogMan-modded DS-1, it's SO much better than the stock Boss one. I played quite a few gigs where other guitar players in the audience couldn't believe rthat I used the DS-1, because the sound is full, punchy and round but still very transparent whereas the stock DS-1 is on the brittle and thin side.
Thanks, I always wondered why did the DS-1 that Satriani, Vai and others use doesn't sound as the stock pedal, which I used to own. I knew something fishy was going on but didn't quite knew how they achieved that sound.

Although I don't use pedals anymore is great to know this, actually, you got me curious and maybe I'll start a little pedal hunt to complement my current set up . Currently I have different set ups for live gigs depending on the band that I'm playing, sometimes with a Marshall Amp only and sometimes with a POD Pro.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like the t-rex mudhoney.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
Thanks, I always wondered why did the DS-1 that Satriani, Vai and others use doesn't sound as the stock pedal, which I used to own. I knew something fishy was going on but didn't quite knew how they achieved that sound.

Although I don't use pedals anymore is great to know this, actually, you got me curious and maybe I'll start a little pedal hunt to complement my current set up . Currently I have different set ups for live gigs depending on the band that I'm playing, sometimes with a Marshall Amp only and sometimes with a POD Pro.
Cool! Just be aware that there's also a Keeley-modded version of the DS-1 and AFAIN that's the one that Vai and probably also Satriani are using. I never tried it, I'm more into Roots/Blues tones but I'm sure that both the AnalogMan and the Keeley versions are miles above the DS-1 that's currently being sold by Boss.
Old 7th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Cool! Just be aware that there's also a Keeley-modded version of the DS-1 and AFAIN that's the one that Vai and probably also Satriani are using. I never tried it, I'm more into Roots/Blues tones but I'm sure that both the AnalogMan and the Keeley versions are miles above the DS-1 that's currently being sold by Boss.
Wow! Thanks a lot!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I use a VoodooLab Sparkledrive for this- which is like a hotrodded TS808.
+1 on Sparkledrive.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

You should definitely check out the Keeley modded stuff, and his originals, like the Java Boost.

Robert Keeley Electronics: Boss Blues Driver Mod

Robert Keeley Electronics: Keeley Java Boost
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you're handy with a soldering iron, I would highly suggest any of the BYOC pedal kits. They make clones of just about every desireable vintage pedal in existance. The Triboost works well for adding more gain, in one of three flavors, Germainium, FET, and silicone transistor...best pedal on my board, bar none. And no, I'm not associated with them, just love the kits.
Old 8th September 2007
thanks for all the suggestions. I just bought a sansamp GT2 pedal and have only listened to it direct to the board but damn. This little thing has some great sounds. Im thinking this will front an 800 or an orange pretty well. Has anyone else had expierence with the GT2? Im thinking of using it alot to track guitar @ home with a split clean DI and reamp later in the real studio. Just get the sanamp close to what I think I need.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've been digging this lately:

Cusack Screamer

It's a boutique 'Screamer copy with additional clean gain. Nice for tone-tweaking too.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have tons of the keeleys and others, this is the best:

BB Preamp pedal
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

try the xotic:

RC Booster

AC Booster

BB Preamp

They also have some 2 channel models.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you want serious drive there is only one pedal that is up to the job whithout sounding like a bag of spanners rattling around in a washing machine... the G2D Morpheus...
Old 14th September 2007
Ive been looking into the xotic BB and that looks like it might be it. This sanamp GT2 though is doing a fine job right now. I think I'm tired of trying to get the only 2or 3 amps i have to sound good and not always the same. Im gonna get my pedal collection up this year to have a bigger palette. But I still want the tiny terror!
Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Boss SD-1 or even (am I gonna get flamed for this?) OD-3...

While the OD-3 isn't the warmest sounding OD it's fairly decent at at retaining the low end, nice for chuggy palm mutes etc.! Good for a little boost.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

is the 800 a 2203?
if so get a 2205
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

It's gonna take a lot more than a distortion pedal to get the metal sound. As a former metal guitarist with good tone, I've gotta say there is no single pedal that gets you there. It's gonna be a few different things coming together to get the right sound.

For me I would always start with real tube power with a ton of headroom. The Mesa Strategy power amps are great for that. You don't want to get any natural preamp or power tube overdrive from the amp itself, which is again why you want the power amp. And you need a tight, super-distorted tone possibly with a good noise gate. With a typical Boss pedal it's just gonna be a noisy feedback nightmare trying to get enough gain for metal and clean art. harmonics.. My secret was Rocktron rack gear back when it was expensive. Great gates and evil distortion.

In my opinion if you're not equipped with a rack full of gear to get a metal sound, don't bother, let them bring their own stuff. These days people just use the Pod BS anyways..
Old 18th September 2007
I'm sorry but you dont need a rack of gear for a metal tone. You might be able to get there with a rack of gear but almost all modern heavy records are recorded with a Mesa,Bogner,Engl,Marshall,Framus,Orange,Peavey of some kind with no or very little pedals involved. Hi gain amps do high gain better then any pedal will. BUT I already know that. I just wanted to know a good pedal for just a touch more saturation for something like a Tiny Terror. I LOVE the way it sounds and you should be able to rip some Metal on one but lots of guys hide behind distortion. So I want to spend my $ on the amp I like but be able to push it just passed that point to please metal clients. The xotic BB looks like the winner from the reviews I've read. Oh there is one rack rig that does kill. The Mesa triAxis.
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Nut

it really depends on how you are getting your gain already. are you just using the amp distortion? if so a great choice is actually the seymour duncan pickup booster. if you keep it on the flat setting there is no character change to the tone...just a straight gain boost. generally not a big duncan fan, but was really suprised and now thats what i use for distortion just setting the amp with a slight break for my main "clean" and then the pickup booster to drive the amp for my gain. the keeley stuff is great as people were suggesting and you might want to check into the Z-Vex stuff which is fantastic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search