The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FENDER IN 2007 ???
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

FENDER IN 2007 ???

A broard, general question. What is the quality of Fender guitars like in 2007??
Namely U.S.A Tele's and Strats.. Is spending the extra $$$ on Custom Shop instuments worth it??? Or is the standard issue stuff as good??
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Benway View Post
A broard, general question. What is the quality of Fender guitars like in 2007??
Namely U.S.A Tele's and Strats.. Is spending the extra $$$ on Custom Shop instuments worth it??? Or is the standard issue stuff as good??
Any help would be much appreciated.
If you wanna go cheap, check out the Highway One Upgrade series. Yes, the Custom Shop instruments are nicer than the standard. The Masterbuilts are really nice, but very expensive, $3999 and up, I believe (maybe some cheaper) Are they worth it? That depends on you, but if you try one, you'll want it... Fat Sound Guitars, Guitarsale, Wildwood have nice selections...

I'm extremely happy with my 2007 Highway One Tele
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

There are literally thousands of excellent used 80's and 90's American standard Fenders
available all over the place.

You should be able to find a very nice well made guitar for under $1000.00
if you are willing to do the homework.

If you're looking at a 20 year old guitar that still has a perfect neck, proper action and intonation, that guitar is going to stay right pretty much for eternity if you take care of it.

For the price of 1 custom shop Fender, you could have a damn nice collection to cover
a variety on tones.

Save some money on the guitar and put that extra $3000.00 into a fine amplifier.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I only played a custom shop gtr once for a few seconds . . . but i know a dude who uses one and it sounds amazing. having said that, I've bought several guitars to compliment my american double fat strat and returned or sold them ALL! maybe it's just me but it doesn't get any better than that . . .
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I have a 2007 pbass, or maybe 2006, it shouldnt matter that close in year though. I think this is a good period for fender QC wise for american stuff. My pbass neck pocket is very tight, the neck is extremely smooth with no fret problems. No dead spots and no finish problems. As good QC as any other mid to high end american instrument ive played lately. I would have no problem buying a fender american instrument sight unseen.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=FFTT;1483232]T

For the price of 1 custom shop Fender, you could have a damn nice collection to cover
a variety on tones.

I hear ya!!
The guitar I'm after though is for my new born son!! Something constructed in 2007. Something for him down the track if he decides guitar's where it's at. It'll be a studio instrument in the mean time.
Should I limit my search to just Fenders?? I've always liked Tele's my self but hey.. I don't even play the bloody guitar!! What guitar would you like to guys liked to have grown up with??
Thanks again..
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
There are literally thousands of excellent used 80's and 90's American standard Fenders
available all over the place.
I'd also check out the Fender Japan guitars from...what was it....10 or 12 years ago or something. I bought a Fender Japan 50ies Tele on e-bay for something like $ 400 and it's my main guitar now. The PUs weren't that great but these can be changed easily. FWIW, I set my Tele up with Seymout Duncan Antiquity PUs and Antiquity Brass Saddles and couldn't be happier. Short of owning a great original 50ies Tele naturally.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=Dr Benway;1486607]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
T

a variety on tones.

I hear ya!!
The guitar I'm after though is for my new born son!! Something constructed in 2007. Something for him down the track if he decides guitar's where it's at. It'll be a studio instrument in the mean time.
Should I limit my search to just Fenders?? I've always liked Tele's my self but hey.. I don't even play the bloody guitar!! What guitar would you like to guys liked to have grown up with??
Thanks again..
It's funny, all three of girls have had access to my collection and not one of them
took the time to learn how to play guitar, bass, sax or keyboards, but the keybord
was the easiest for them simply because you hit a note, get a note.
They didn't have to learn technique like you do on the stringed instruments
to get a good sound.

It's far too subjective on the type of guitar, Strat, Tele or Les Paul, but whatever
you choose needs to have excellent action or your son may get too easily
frustrated as he learns to play, If.. he takes an interest at all.

There is one important difference as far as investment value in that an 80's
guitar stored for another 15 years or so will be worth more as time goes on.

It will probably be more important that he gets Dad's guitar than how old or new it is.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

You make sense FFTT. My boy will have access to a lot of different insruments but my wife and I both joke that he'll probably want to be a plumber and gas fitter!!! Anything but a musician!!

Good point on him getting 'Dads' guitar rather than a new or old one.. I still like the idea of a 2007 Fender but I'm not against the idea of something older. I guess whatever we decide on he'll either like it or not!!!
Thanks again.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you want a really nice Fender, get a G&L. Their standard american stuff blows the fenders out of the water.
Fenders are good... but don't really have any character.
it does say something that G&Ls are made in the Original Fender factory in Fullerton California, and that Phillis Fender is still on the Board of directors.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I love this forum cuz there's so much to learn. Mic pres, compressors, i/o's, phasing, tube mics, standing waves etc. It can be overwhelming, but this is a topic that I actually know something about.

Can you get a good '07 Fender bass? Of course you can. Contrary to popular belief, you can find some great guitars from any of the major companies (Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc.) made in any year. Some eras offer less than others, but they are there. The vintage of an instrument (year) is but one criteria of your overall assesment. Guitars and basses are organic. Like women (or men depending on your gender and/or orientation), just because they look good and have the "right pedigree" doesn't mean that they're worth a damn. Custom shop and Masterbuilt guitars are no different, some are spectacular, some are dogs. Most are somewhere in the middle.

Conversly, just because a guitar is old doesn't mean it's good. I've seen more old guitars, with high price tags, that just sucked than I have vintage guitars that were the stuff legends were made of.

So what do you do?

First, decide what you want to do with the instrument. Is this simply an investment piece? Or do you need it to be functional? If you're going be using it, what are you going to use it for? If it's just meant for utility session work, what kind of music? If you're gonna record modern R&B ala Erika Badu, it really needs a a low B (5 string) and active Bartolini style pickup would probably be a good idea. If your recording modern Country and P&W, a Jazz or P Bass might be the right choice.

Second, set a budget. My advise is to spend as much as you can. In general, buy less stuff. Buy better stuff.

Third, find an expert you can trust, in generally that's NOT the salesman making commision. Call the best player you know, pay him $50. if you need to. Get someone working for you. Musicians typically love playing and buying different instruments and if they can live vicariosly thru you and get paid for it, even better.

If it was me and I wanted to bequeath a bass for my son or daughter, and I had enough to buy a brand new Custom Shop, I would probably buy a good bass in great condition made the year that I was born- 1965. That way I could use it for some stuff over the next 10-20 years while it triples, quadruples(?) in value. It may not pay for their college, but it might help pay for their retirement 50 years after that.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiepalooza View Post
I love this forum cuz there's so much to learn. Mic pres, compressors, i/o's, phasing, tube mics, standing waves etc. It can be overwhelming, but this is a topic that I actually know something about.

Can you get a good '07 Fender bass? Of course you can. Contrary to popular belief, you can find some great guitars from any of the major companies (Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc.) made in any year. Some eras offer less than others, but they are there. The vintage of an instrument (year) is but one criteria of your overall assesment. Guitars and basses are organic. Like women (or men depending on your gender and/or orientation), just because they look good and have the "right pedigree" doesn't mean that they're worth a damn. Custom shop and Masterbuilt guitars are no different, some are spectacular, some are dogs. Most are somewhere in the middle.

Conversly, just because a guitar is old doesn't mean it's good. I've seen more old guitars, with high price tags, that just sucked than I have vintage guitars that were the stuff legends were made of.

So what do you do?

First, decide what you want to do with the instrument. Is this simply an investment piece? Or do you need it to be functional? If you're going be using it, what are you going to use it for? If it's just meant for utility session work, what kind of music? If you're gonna record modern R&B ala Erika Badu, it really needs a a low B (5 string) and active Bartolini style pickup would probably be a good idea. If your recording modern Country and P&W, a Jazz or P Bass might be the right choice.

Second, set a budget. My advise is to spend as much as you can. In general, buy less stuff. Buy better stuff.

Third, find an expert you can trust, in generally that's NOT the salesman making commision. Call the best player you know, pay him $50. if you need to. Get someone working for you. Musicians typically love playing and buying different instruments and if they can live vicariosly thru you and get paid for it, even better.

If it was me and I wanted to bequeath a bass for my son or daughter, and I had enough to buy a brand new Custom Shop, I would probably buy a good bass in great condition made the year that I was born- 1965. That way I could use it for some stuff over the next 10-20 years while it triples, quadruples(?) in value. It may not pay for their college, but it might help pay for their retirement 50 years after that.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Many thanks for your reply.
Everything you say makes perfect sense. If I was going to buy something in my birth year, 1978. I think that may be a not so smart move. From what I've gathered.. In the late 70's Fender went through a bad patch. (I'm sure someone will correct me!!) I know that is a generalization too. I'm sure, like you've said some are great, some crap but most are somewhere in the middle.
Again, as you say.. It comes down to the way it plays..

Many Thanks again for your help.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

david gilmour did alot of great stuff with a 70's strat.
it is the poor carpenter that blames his tools........
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post

Indeed it is..

Homework will be done on my part. Many thanks again.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Just wait till you start looking at Black Face Fender amps to stash away!

Lots of stuff showing up due to tough times.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

It's kind of funny, but back in the day, I don't remember worrying too much about what year a Fender was made. (ok, this was pre-1987 stock market crash, and the vintage market hadn't really started yet) I mean, pre-CBS meant something, but other than that, I don't ever remember discussing the year any guitar was made unless it was something really spectacular - like a `59 Les Paul. (which of course, also explains why so many late 60's Strats are routed for humbuckers)

The way you used to buy a used Strat was to walk into a music store, and play - literally - a wall of them, and then say "nah, I don't think you've got one with my name on it today". And repeat every 3 weeks until you got one you liked.

... and you know, that was a lot more fun. heh
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I don't think people are saying that ALL 70's Fenders are rubbish but there were huge compromises made with CBS period guitars- the later the guitar generally the worse it is likely to be.
There is a huge difference between the early 70's strats and the '79's for instance.

There are loads of bad '79 strats (I own one of them).
I have a private suspicion that Fender employees were stoned and watching Cheech and Chong movies the entire year.

That doesn't mean there aren't a few nice ones about.
Also because those guitars are so hit and miss, people modded them a lot- replaced pickups, pots, tuners, refinishes- the whole enchilada.
Finding, should you want to, a late 70's strat that is all original is extremely difficult.
Those guitars are now starting to command vintage prices and are totally and utterly undeserving of those prices.

I've owned a bunch of 70's Fenders over the years- I've always sold them in the end.
My '79 was a gift from a musician I worked with and regardless of its various playability issues, I will keep it for sentimental reasons.
Most people would be better off buying a late 80's or 90's Fender.
The 57/62 reissues are mostly good, a lot of the japanese Fenders are pretty good (but do not every pay vintage prices for these guitars, an old japanese guitar is still a japanese guitar... they are great because they are cheaper and close to the level of US quality).

All guitar companies have bloom and burst periods.
Another one is PRS who are mostly doing terrible guitars compared to what their pre 95 instruments were.
I play an '89 custom 24 which is just gorgeous and I have owned since new.

The new ones use inferior woods, asian import tuners, a much lower quality trem or hardtail and the neck heel is simply horrible. They are also $1000 more than they should be considering they are essentially computer made.
The import PRS's are decent but cost $100-200 more than an equivalent Korean made guitar (ie Schecter).
Any 1985-1994 PRS is now commanding stupid money on ebay- I saw one with a solid colour with an asking price of $5k- just stupid money, not that they will get that for it.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I'd love to find a nice light '73,-'76 sunburst strat. There not all bad just different.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Owning a vintage '64 Jazz Bass makes it difficult to find anything that feels better, plays better or sounds better to me.

The '62 re-issues are interesting, but you have to play a bunch to find a good one.

I do really miss my '70 Rickenbacker Stereo 4001, but had to sell it due to serious neck and intonation issues.

A beginner needs something well made, light and easy to play.

Les Pauls and Tele's sound great, but you have to watch their weight.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

I bought a '73 blonde Tele new, it's faded and has always played nice. Recently I picked up a Chinese affinity squire strat at a garage sale with perfect low action, and no fret buzz for $70. I have had many guitars, but this plays and sounds as good as anything I've owned, and it stays in tune. Go figure. Regardless of year, origin, make or model, they're all unique in many respects. I think that's part of the "mystique".
I also have a Hondo 2 Les paul copy with a factory installed american Bigsby vibrato which I payed $40 for from a private party and also has perfect action. Ya just never know.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

I love my 2007 Highway 1 Strat. Great feel and sound. The build quality is excellent.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The Eric Johnson Strat is the best thing below a custom imo. I got one in January and I love it.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Companies make changes to thier products every couple of years, all of them do. Some are intended improvements and some are simply cost cutting moves.

In general the '70s were bad years for guitars, especially for Fenders and Gibsons. But both were cutting costs on their models way before then. That's why these days we have so many reissue guitars, as people want the specs of the old ones. In fact, we now even have reissues of some of the "dreaded" '70s guitars.

But to me a great guitar is more than the sum of its parts. You can build two guitars- one with the the lightest swamp ash, brazilian rosewood fretboard, handwound pickups, cryogenically treated pots, etc and one with a body made of some mystery wood, cheap asian pickups and electronics, etc -which one do you think will sound better? Chances are the one with the better parts, but you never know. It's the combination of things that does it- the sum of the parts. There's a lot of great sounding and playing Squire Strats out there.

When I guitar shop I look for the ones with the best parts, but I'm not afraid to try the cheap ones either. Sometimes you find one that was thown together just right....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search