The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!
Old 18th May 2019
Why should I?
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtheshredder View Post
Does anyone use a Fractal AX8? I'm thinking of ditching my pedal board to switch to that.
Yes, did exactly that. It was a good move for me. I find it a lot easier to get the sound I need without level issues and although some would disagree to me the end result is better than I would get with a pedal board and stomps. I sold off some pedals and kept a few choice items. Enough to build a smaller more portable/expendable pedal board, and a few I just couldn't let go of (e.g T-rex moeller 2).
Old 19th May 2019
VDB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Why should I?
Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelia View Post
Yes, did exactly that. It was a good move for me. I find it a lot easier to get the sound I need without level issues and although some would disagree to me the end result is better than I would get with a pedal board and stomps. I sold off some pedals and kept a few choice items. Enough to build a smaller more portable/expendable pedal board, and a few I just couldn't let go of (e.g T-rex moeller 2).
Do you use it 4CM? Or as a complete rig?

I’ve been testing my hx stomp in 4CM with a Friedman runt and it is super cool!
I am going to build a board around just that, with maybe a wah and an empress multi drive in front of it. Should be very versatile.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

This is what happens when a singer/b3 player dabbles with gtrs and pedals in his studio... it’s not pretty
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-9bc17490-d426-4c3c-894f-cf1eb667c717.jpg  
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

Nice and in the rack some vintage units like Rockman, SPX90, TC 2290 etc for 80's tone.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Do you use it 4CM? Or as a complete rig?

I’ve been testing my hx stomp in 4CM with a Friedman runt and it is super cool!
I am going to build a board around just that, with maybe a wah and an empress multi drive in front of it. Should be very versatile.
sorry, just want to be sure what 4CM is? I have a limited setup though so for my duo it just goes, mixer, PA. At home I just plug it into some Alto 12" speakers I got last year. Would love a Friedman or there is another one I wanted until I saw the price. Probably wouldn't treat the venues I play to gear of that quality though.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelia View Post
sorry, just want to be sure what 4CM is?
The infamous "4 cable method".
Cable 1: Guitar to multi FX device.
Cable 2: Send of MFX device loop (in case it's got one) to amp input.
Cable 3: Send of amp FX loop to MFX return.
Cable 4: Output of MFX to return of amp FX loop.

That way, you can place your MFX units FX anywhere in the signal chain. Typically, things such as drives and compressors sit in front of the amp whereas you'd place stuff such as delays and reverbs in the FX loop of an amp.
All this only works in case both the MFX unit and the amp have their own FX loop circuits.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
The infamous "4 cable method".
Cable 1: Guitar to multi FX device.
Cable 2: Send of MFX device loop (in case it's got one) to amp input.
Cable 3: Send of amp FX loop to MFX return.
Cable 4: Output of MFX to return of amp FX loop.

That way, you can place your MFX units FX anywhere in the signal chain. Typically, things such as drives and compressors sit in front of the amp whereas you'd place stuff such as delays and reverbs in the FX loop of an amp.
All this only works in case both the MFX unit and the amp have their own FX loop circuits.
Okay, got it now. I'm not that much of a tweaker and the main thing is there is no amp in either live setup. So basically the ax8 has everything where I want in the chain. Same with my ****hole venue setup. I have pedals before and after the fly rig. I only really use an amp for recording at home and any post cab effects will be itb.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Head

This is a lesser rig for playing venues with less predictable clientele. If it get damage I may lose a component or two, rather than an entire AX8. Although that moeller makes me nervous. Thoughts on losing some of the distortion options and adding a comp instead? Levels seem to be a constant battle so.......
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Using this to feed a 5watt dirty combo and a vintage Princeton Reverb.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-799d3e74-967e-48a3-9342-acc093b01ec1.jpg  
Old 5th June 2019
Here for the gear

A Rig

B Rig

Old 5th June 2019
Here for the gear

Almost done...

All pedals are early edition/not reissues (except FX65 Chorus-which I have an ‘85 version I will swap in shortly, and Rangemaster clone). I am making an I/O array that goes on the forward edge of the board. All non-power supply pedals have adapter plates to operate on DC; Germanium Rangemaster Clone utilizes GigRig virtual battery. Not visible: TonePro CS12 (under board).
The switcher also controls (within the presets) switchable output loops to three amps (Gibson BR6, Fender Quad Reverb/ch1-ch2, MetroAmp JTM45). TonePro also powers an Alesis SR16 for practicing/writing.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-4e2e63eb-c858-4ad7-96f7-e089fb8b9981.jpg  

Last edited by Dannot; 5th June 2019 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Clarification and accuracy
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

I added the vertex steel string... it’s nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-38bcd882-1b19-4570-835c-47930e9c64b4.jpg  
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
For those extolling the virtue of having no pedal board .... it's like a keyboard player saying I have a keyboard workstation with 100's of patches but I only ever use it on the piano patch.

That doesn't make you virtuous .... It just makes you boring

Elton John vs Tony Banks

BB King vs The Edge

Sometimes I love an amp only, other times a whole heap of pedals and FX.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

I'll take BB King over the Edge every single time... just to prove the other point.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
For those extolling the virtue of having no pedal board .... it's like a keyboard player saying I have a keyboard workstation with 100's of patches but I only ever use it on the piano patch.

Elton John vs Tony Banks

BB King vs The Edge

I think piano in general is pretty boring. You can't even bend strings! There is so much expression that starts with your fingers on the metal of the guitar. If your guitar playing without FX is boring, you haven't learned the capabilities of the instrument. I'm not talking about music theory....just style and feel.

That said, nothing wrong with using pedals for variation and inspiration.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Piano is not boring
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I think piano in general is pretty boring. You can't even bend strings! There is so much expression that starts with your fingers on the metal of the guitar. If your guitar playing without FX is boring, you haven't learned the capabilities of the instrument. I'm not talking about music theory....just style and feel.

That said, nothing wrong with using pedals for variation and inspiration.

Right back at ya ....

If someone's piano playing is boring, they haven't learned the capabilities of the instrument. I'm not talking about music theory....just style and feel.

After 40 years of playing piano and keyboards and 25 years of playing guitars I've come to value sonic variety - it's half the fun!

But of course - as ever .... YMMV

Last edited by thehightenor; 13th June 2019 at 07:33 PM..
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Right back at ya ....

If someone's piano playing is boring, they haven't learned the capabilities of the instrument. I'm not talking about music theory....just style and feel.

After 40 years of playing piano and keyboards and 25 years of playing guitars I've come to value sonic variety - it's half the fun!

But of course - as ever .... YMMV
Yeah, that was my point. As a player, I find piano boring personally. I’m a much better guitar player. As a listener, some of my favorite music is performed on piano.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Yeah, that was my point. As a player, I find piano boring personally. I’m a much better guitar player. As a listener, some of my favorite music is performed on piano.
To quote you,

Quote:
I think piano in general is pretty boring.
But I think I see what your saying
Old 15th June 2019
rez
Lives for gear

some new additions to the effects chain...

these are my first pedal builds and i tried to make them a very clean design.

the mini-me chorus is a ehx small clone like circuit with an added control for depth which opens up the range of the effect quite nicely.
the pi is a fuzz build on the circuit of the ehx big muff with component values chosen after a certain era pedal from the early seventies.
the engineer compressor is an original design by valvewizard - very clean and versatile.

the mini-me and the engineer both are comercial kits, so they were just some soldering work.
the pi is build on a stripboard to which i adapted the original ehx board layout to fit onto 20x23points board with pots mounted on the board.

the enclosures of the mini-me and the engineer i painted myself - also doing something like this for the first time.
the enclosure of the pi is commercially powdercoated and you can see the silghtly different shade of white.
the labeling was done with laserprinted waterslides which took a little try and error at first but are very easy to apply once one figured all the pitfalls.

peace, rez
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedals.jpg  

Last edited by rez; 3rd July 2019 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: added some info
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Nut

Pretty happy with my builds.
Took time with the stands, using hand-tools and a corded drill only, but turned out ok.
Also, helped a lot sawing off the top lane on the pedalboard. Still some fine-tuning, and weight reduction left, though soon, done.

Pallets is cheap, sometimes free!
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-doink.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-old.jpg  
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Elton John vs Tony Banks

BB King vs The Edge

Pedals are those little boxes that guitarists use to make their Marshall’s sound bad.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I'll take BB King over the Edge every single time... just to prove the other point.
Cool... but, I don’t think I’d hire either to play a session date for a jingle campaign where I need a few different beds/vibes for various markets...

Having lived, worked and survived in Hollywood in the 80s and 90s, it’s worth pointing out that simply having a massive lukather/landau rig or a pedal board the size of a twister game doesn’t immediately transform its owner into a god of tone, taste or chops...

... but give a monster a Champ? Forget about it
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdaisy View Post
Pedals are those little boxes that guitarists use to make their Marshall’s sound bad.
Yeah, you don't need them .... Marshalls's sound bad all on their own
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict
Ok, its not on a board yet; however,...finally at least something showable:
Old 19th June 2019
Here for the gear
a little board

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1560950251
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-ds-mini-pedal-board.jpg  
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict

I finished this one yesterday. I wanted a BBE Sonic stomp, but ended up buying a d.i.y. kit from Aion. It's the one named Lumin. Besides the two knobs for the low-end and the highs that the old BBE version has (the big red one),there is an additional mid controll and the toggles alter the cutoff frequency where the lows and highs operate.
Just like the original it gives results that the eq on your amp can't do, or some other kind of eq pedal... Because it slices the audio up in three bands, and alters the phase relative to each other... But not in the way an eq alters phase. This is great for reshaping the sound of your speaker of to accentuate some qualities tonewise in your pedal chain.

I tested it yesterday and love the results, my amp sounds more like I have in my mind.
For only 45 Euro I built this myself, that is soldering the components into the PCB, drilling the powdercoated casing, applying my self designed decal (waterslide), mounting the hardware and hook up the wiring. It was about 1 whole working day of work, although this certainly isn't my first build. If you have time and like making stuff but don't count your own labour as a cost, this is greatly satisfying.

Happy camper

Last edited by BVDL; 14th July 2019 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: photo upload didnot work
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict
These are the other ones, except for the GE-7 an the Cry Baby (stinkfoot mod done) these are self built.
A pedal swither is on its way (Carl Martin octa switch), there is a Palmer power suply and I have a bunch of cables ready made and waiting to wire this board up in a neat way. A Pro Co Rat is also in the pipeline.

From left to right (uside down sorry for my ammateurism):
optic tremolo/klon centaur clone/JCM800 emu/BBE Sonic stomp/Zendrive clone/GE-7/Ross compressor clone/buffer/tape delay
/hall reverb/MXR M117 clone/Shin Ei Uni Vibe clone/Cry babywith stinkfoot mods/Gilmour style fuzz/Supro amp in a box

I need to setup the board with the switcher as the nervous system, the dedicated powersupply and the right pedal order and patch cables. Lots of work to do still. There are some wonderfull tones to be had here.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-perdalboard-juli-2019.jpg  
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

I think your camera lens is covered in vanilla frosting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search