The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
But...I want to build a simple analogue pedal rack consisting of:

1. Some kind of Tube screamer/ distortion pedal
2. Modulation/ flanger/ chorus pedal
3. Delay pedal
4. Reverb

I'm a total noob to the world of pedals so if anyone can recommend me ideas for those 4 types, that'd be great. I'm not keen to spend $200 a pedal or anything...maybe like 60 or 70 or something...I dunno...even 100. Are there any, must get or tried and tested pedals people like in those categories I've listed?

Thanks

If money is tight, digital pedals are your friend....

Tube screamer or distortion probably covers 1000 pedals under $125. What amp, guitar, and style you play will drive your decisions. Try a lot of dirt boxes and see what works for you.

For modulation (including flange, chorus, and vibe). The Source Audio Orbital Modulator is the best bang for your buck - it's digital and very good.

On the delay pedal, you need to decide if you need tap-tempo or not. If you don't play out with a band much, you probably don't.

The only way to get a budget, analog reverb is to get a small-tank spring reverb. Decent ones run around $400. You can get an amp with reverb for that kind of money...

-tINY

Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well in full disclosure I have only just gotten back into electric guitar and pedals after 47 years of playing only clean acoustic. So I can't compare it to other drive pedals .
That said: I have enough experience to appreciate what I like as far as tone and I am thrilled with it .... it gives some a fair amount of boost without getting too distorted which is exactly what I hoped it would do.

In the photo the two knobs on the left side are the Gain and Volume and as you can see are both at about only 9:00 o'clock which is where I tend to leave them. Then the Mid Boost (lower right) is just past 12:00 and the Tone which is a actually a treble boost (upper right) is at about 1:30
This give me a nice chimey mid high boost which goes really well with Supro Tube amp I am driving.
Thank you!
Old 31st March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTent View Post
Why don't more people just buy MultiFx boards like the Helix?
You can do lots and lots with those multi-fx units, but most people really don't need to. So you have lots of different patches set up, and if you want to change a setting slightly you've got to go in and do that. Often it's just easier to have the pedals on the floor and if you want to change something slightly you just reach down and turn a knob and get back to playing.

If you are a really heave effects user and you want to basically program a patch specifically for each different song you are doing to get just the right sound, then they are great, but most people don't actually want that. Get a few pedals you like and work out settings that give you the sound you want and just turn it on/off, it's simpler, it sounds good, and it's easier to upgrade (ie you can always add or replace individual pedals at any point. Multi-fx units are a single big expense that are all or nothing, you use all the effects they have, you can't say that you like the Mooer one of this, the TC electronics one of that, the Boss one of this, the Strymon one of that etc).

In the end, there are plenty of reasons.

When I got rid of my last multi-effects unit it was because I found it just coloured the tone of my amp a bit, so even with all effects off, I couldn't get it to sound the same as the amp without the unit. And I love my amp sound. In thinking of alternatives, I realised that I actually don't need lots of complex effects. A simple delay, chorus, EQ, combined Wah/Volume on top of my Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and tube amp channels and I've got all I need (plus a little room on the board if I feel like adding to it).
Old 1st April 2017
Getting back to the guitar after time spent in modular synth land.

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomick View Post

Oh my! I see a brothers on that board! Please do tell how you like it so far? I'm gonna get one with a Faves switch! thanks
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Oh my! I see a brothers on that board! Please do tell how you like it so far? I'm gonna get one with a Faves switch! thanks
Really dig it. Sounds good, supremely versatile. Won't get super-crazy Dwarfcraft-level bonkers, but certainly can get aggressive with a range of voicing options. Very happy with the purchase, especially the size and amount of control.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really dig it. Sounds good, supremely versatile. Won't get super-crazy Dwarfcraft-level bonkers, but certainly can get aggressive with a range of voicing options. Very happy with the purchase, especially the size and amount of control.
Nice, I've got a brand new Holeyboard Dragon Fly board and Strymon Zuma power supply for a rebuild. The Brothers is going to go on there for sure. That and all my Earthquaker stuff. The buying never ends. lol

ROck on!
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

What are the two copper color pedals on the board, sir?
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikslopot View Post

RM-1N and Echo Degrader!
Old 3rd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikslopot View Post
Yup, they are Industrialectric pedals. The left one is the RM-1N reverb, the right is the Echo Degrader delay. Angry, crazy, bizarre, and awesome.
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Absolutely! It's one of my faves too, I just wanted to point out its character because if somebody is looking for a real clean boost then the BadBob wouldn't be the right choice.

I never liked Treble Boosters like the Beano boost and while the BadBob might be sonically related, to me the midrange is completely different. It's gritty and badass without being strident...if that makes sense.
Totally makes sense. I actually have two of them, one in each gig amp. I don't use a pedal board, I only use two pedals (the Bob abd a $30 Rogue Analog Delay) and they're always on, and always set the same way, to the point I have the knobs on the pedals taped down. Set and forget. Same with the amps. I set everything for solo volume, and use the volume control on the guitar to control that. I'm always whangin' on the volume and tone knobs.

I have one Bob from Robbie and one from Mike. My BB from Mike is so early, it has no graphics other than "Analogman Bad Bob" silk-screened on the box. But both models sound 100 percent identical. So I just change the batteries every month and they just keep going. I only wish they used AAs, instead of 9V. That way, I never forget them. They're just waiting for me.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradt View Post
Totally makes sense. I actually have two of them, one in each gig amp. I don't use a pedal board, I only use two pedals (the Bob abd a $30 Rogue Analog Delay) and they're always on, and always set the same way, to the point I have the knobs on the pedals taped down. Set and forget. Same with the amps. I set everything for solo volume, and use the volume control on the guitar to control that. I'm always whangin' on the volume and tone knobs.

I have one Bob from Robbie and one from Mike. My BB from Mike is so early, it has no graphics other than "Analogman Bad Bob" silk-screened on the box. But both models sound 100 percent identical. So I just change the batteries every month and they just keep going. I only wish they used AAs, instead of 9V. That way, I never forget them. They're just waiting for me.
Great!

BTW, I recently bought a Strymon Zuma Power Supply which has two outputs that besides 9V also let you switch to 12V and 18V. I tried the Bad Bob on 18V (making first sure that it can take it of course) and it's quite a difference, more headroom and louder. Same with the AnalogMan BiComprossor. I will experiment some more as there's nothing wrong with ther way these pedals sound on 9V of course.
Old 5th May 2017
Gear Addict

Just finished building this.
The expression pedals on the floor control the sends on the mixer which goes out to 4 parallel loops.
Loving the Templeboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-fullsizerender-3.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_7631.jpg  
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
Just finished building this.
The expression pedals on the floor control the sends on the mixer which goes out to 4 parallel loops.
Loving the Templeboard.
How do you like the Echosex2?
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Maniac

I have a Digitech Obscura delay. Is there any way to get it to loop the repeats without degrading the sound? I have tried many settings. It seems like Tape or Analog mode with tone in the middle and degrade all the way down should do it, but the sound still gets a bandpass sound pretty quickly. Am I missing something?
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict

echosex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
How do you like the Echosex2?
It's amazing. Tons of character and the age control is very cool indeed.
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
It's amazing. Tons of character and the age control is very cool indeed.
Thx - Stuck wanting Echosex2 tone and Boonar functionality. Sounds like Gurus is trying to make one, but a big box for the board. Thinking about it though. The Gurus tone is GearSlutty, and I am not sure the Boonar is as much so. Did you try both? Last question on it, not to derail. Just a really cool group of pedals coming out in this vein now.
Old 14th May 2017
My Current touring board.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_1936.jpg  
Old 14th May 2017
Flavour flow technology...powered by sunfish:
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pgtips-close.jpg  
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Addict

Just getting in to the pedal thing. I mostly play bass, but also tinker on guitar and keys, so it'll be a mixed bag. The octaver is borrowed, so will have to get one for myself. Need a delay next. Might stick with Boss.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_1277.jpg  
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Addict

Oh, and the board, and power supply.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Nut

What the board looks like today.....tomorrow or the next day it may change, who knows

Tuner => Wah => OD => OD => Flanger => Noise Suppressor => Volume Pedal => Pitch Shifter => Delay => Reverb
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Nut

this time around

was fun
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20170518_211953.jpg  
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Always enjoyed returning to this thread and recently finished my own small board.

The Bass Overdrive is exclusively for Melvins riffs, I may swap it for a good Klone in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_0632.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Addict
I've gotten not any pictures.

But my list:

Warm Audio Deep six (compressor)
Xotic EP booster
Strymon Timeline
Eventide Space
T-rex michaelangelo signature drive

More to come:
EHX Electric Mistress deluxe flanger
Boss CE-2 or -3
Fulltone OCD
Stone deaf tremotron (maybe...see how eventide does)
Old 25th June 2017
Gear Addict

My new board is on the way,it took me years to track it down.It's at UPS in Salt Lake city,Utah,tomorrow it starts it's journey east.
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-25-14h33m39s210.png

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-26-17h20m21s213.png
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-25-14h32m39s130.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-25-14h33m39s210.png   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-25-14h32m39s130.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-26-17h20m21s213.png  
Old 25th June 2017
rez
Lives for gear

this is some crazy boards you have! mine is very modest in comparison...

sorry no picture, but here is my little list:

dunlop cry baby
a rat from 86 or 87
eh small stone nano
boss re 20 space echo

thats all for now, but it gets my few tones done.

peace, rez

Last edited by rez; 25th June 2017 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 26th June 2017
Gear Addict

Some grainy pictures of my setup. Pretty basic.

Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_4212.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_4211.jpg  
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
My new board is on the way,it took me years to track it down.It's at UPS in Salt Lake city,Utah,tomorrow it starts it's journey east.
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-25-14h33m39s210.png

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-26-17h20m21s213.png
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-vlcsnap-2017-06-25-14h32m39s130.jpg
So who makes that board? Would love to see it in full light as well, even the it looks cool in the dark.
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
So who makes that board? Would love to see it in full light as well, even the it looks cool in the dark.
The guy's name that made it I only knew as J.C.,he had a company called Monkey Dream in Salt Lake City,Utah.Unfortunately he passed away in March of 2013 I believe,and it was his private company so they're no longer in business.I spoke to him on the phone just before he passed away,he was very knowledgable and I got his feedback on some Ideas for a pedalboard.When I called back to make a custom order the phone was disconnected and then I found out what happened to him.So I've been looking for one for over 4 years and so far had only seen some of the smaller ones(he had quite a few models).I had it on my feed on Ebay and Reverb,and a few days ago it popped up.I first saw it on this video on Youtube,J.C.'s account name was Alien Rush:
https://www.youtube.com/user/alienrush

When I first talked to him,I had only seen the 9000,which was smaller but had a single rack space under it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/alienrush/videos

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search