The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Head

Not quite a pedalboard but...
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Stereo Princetons, FTW!

Is that a vintage and reissue? If so, how do they compare?
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

I think the vintage re-issue is impressive. It has a similar sound. I wonder how close they would be if I put the same speakers in both.

(I have a Scumback in the '67)

I put them both through identical 12's for fun and didn't feel there was anything missing from the RI

I will admit the RI is seemingly more prone to noise.

Last edited by Kronos147; 8th October 2016 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 18th October 2016
Gear Addict
Building a parametric EQ pedal on Veroboard. There is a switchable clean boost post EQ to compensate for lost gain or attenuate it back to unity gain.

The decal will be transparent, so you see the brushed aluminium case.
I have nothing to do with Sabrotone, I just printed it on because the circuit is for the most part designed by him.

Old 18th October 2016
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

My Apology in advance for this long post. I go and see other bands and I always like having a look and seeing what other people are doing for pedals.

My current pedalboard.

In spite of my "RicTone" user name I seldom gig a Rickenbacker. I play a Strat nearly 100% of the time and for me it's incredibly important for any Strat I play to get it fattened up with a boost that's always on. I love the Xotic RC Booster but Mooer Pure Boost does a fantastic job IMO.

Not in the picture is an expression pedal I use with the TimeLine and a G50 wireless. The expression pedal allows me to sweep from barely heard delay to a full lush huge delay. I got the TimeLine expression pedal idea from an Andy Timmons rig rundown video. I use the expression pedal a lot.

Chain: G50 > Pure Boost > Pitch Fork > Ultimate Drive > OCD > Ultimate Drive > Joyo Trem > Corona > TimeLine w/Disaster Area DMC-2 Gen2.

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is of course an OCD clone. I painted mine because I dislike the stupid graphic on the pedal. One of these days I'll pay tribute to Fulltone and use three OCD's. I use the OCD for a slight crunch. The 1st Ultimate Drive in the chain is vital as I stack it with the OCD and use it as my solo/overdrive/boost. Our band is a power trio with a front man and so having a solo/boost is crucial for my playing. I use the 2nd Ultimate Drive for overdrive with the bridge pickup.

I took the picture above when the pedalboard happened to be sitting on top of a Pelican 1600 case. I use a couple of Pelican cases, one for my pedalboard and another for our mixer.

I mic a sidewashed tube amp to FOH. Dependent on venue I play either my 75 SFTR (TR is my all around favorite amp) or Fender Supersonic combo. I could gig my Kemper, which I have done and it sounds just as good out front as a mic'd amp, but the setup time is much quicker for me with an amp. To further explain extra setup time with Kemper: I have a non-powered rack Kemper and when I take out the Kemper I also need to bring along an additional rack monitor amp and passive wedge. The extra wiring time for the Kemper is a factor, rolling in a combo is easier.
Old 5th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I just bought a Pedaltrain Jr. in order to downsize my board, now I'm in the dilemma of choosing pedals.
Oh my, I should have bought a bigger model...
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-dsc01383.jpg  
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andow View Post
I just bought a Pedaltrain Jr. in order to downsize my board, now I'm in the dilemma of choosing pedals.
Yes indeed, you have orphans running around that need a proper home. A larger pedalboard is in order.
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andow View Post
A little small, isn't it?
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakestree View Post
Stereo Princetons, FTW!

Is that a vintage and reissue? If so, how do they compare?
New update: PRRI stopped functioning last night. Not a fuse.

:-/
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Head

Current layout. Signal chain enters at Soul Food then from there splits at a/b/y where "a" goes to a Blackstar ht-20 head and Orange 1x12 cabinet with the HoF and Joyo delay in the amps effects loop. "b" then goes to blue delay then rc-30 then to a BDRI.

Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Nut

as it stands
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20161122_160810.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Nice! What's the yellow pedal?
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakestree View Post
Nice! What's the yellow pedal?
It appears to be a Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2. From some of what I hear in the following clip, I like it.

Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

I wanted to post my board pretty much since this thread began but it's been constantly changing. I bought a GigRig2 looping system last year and set it up with lots of stuff but now I'm back to a much simpler setup.

This board is currently in use for a duo setting where I play lap steel and guitar, also dobro which goes through a Jerry Douglas Aura pedal. (not pictured).

Here's the chain:

- Z.Vex Super Hard-On: Used as a buffer and for a tiny bit of boost. I can't live without this pedal anymore as it makes everything more transparent but doesn't kill the low end. Somehow everything felt 'slow' whenever I didn't have the SHO in place.

- TC Polytune2: The small Nano version, for some reason the bigger Polytune pedal killed the sound for me, this one works great and beside the usefully small size it's also a convenient mute button.

- Xotic SP Compressor: Very transparent. I use it on the 'Low' setting with the 'Blend' at about 7 or 8 o'clock. It's barely on but it makes a big difference I think.

- Xotic AC Booster: It just replaced my trusty AnalogMan Boss DS-1 but that will be back for full band work.

- AnalogMan /Ernie Ball VP Jr: This one has a buffer and needs 9V to operate. Great with lap steel and some semi-acoustic guitars I'm using as it really retains the hi-end. For other musical settings I mostly skip volume pedals.

- MXR Carbon Copy: I tried/bought and sold tons of delay pedals over the years. This one did stay and it's by far the most affordable of them all, go figure. Mostly used for ballads/I-wish-I-was-Daniel-Lanois type of work.

- Strymon DECO: Used for slapback, amazing quality like everything Strymon makes. I tend to use the Tape Saturation quite a bit as well lately. Instead of using fuzzes, with this setup I stack up the boosters so with everything on there's plenty of grit and sustain.

- Pedal Power 2+ Speaks for itself, it just works!

I just realized that I have no Electro-Harmonix pedals on this board which is unusual. I have lots of EHX pedals and really love them all! This board is now in use with a 68 RI Fender Princeton or Deluxe Reverb which explains the Fender footswitch. If I'd play through an amp without vibrato then the EHX Pulsar would be back in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_2606.jpg  

Last edited by doorknocker; 29th November 2016 at 10:43 PM..
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Here's the chain:

- Z.Vex Super Hard-On: Used as a buffer and for a tiny bit of boost. I can't live without this pedal anymore as it makes everything more transparent but doesn't kill the low end. Somehow everything felt 'slow' whenever I didn't have the SHO on place.
I like the choices on your pedalboard. I really like the Z.Vex Super Hard-on, I borrowed one for awhile and if I had more real estate on my pedalboard I'd buy it. It was first in my chain and if IIRC I needed to have an EQ with volume adjust right behind to tame it a bit. It's a very unique pedal for sure.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I like the choices on your pedalboard. I really like the Z.Vex Super Hard-on, I borrowed one for awhile and if I had more real estate on my pedalboard I'd buy it. It was first in my chain and if IIRC I needed to have an EQ with volume adjust right behind to tame it a bit. It's a very unique pedal for sure.
Thanks! Actually the SHO can be set up to unity gain (or even below) but usually with a Telecaster I tend it to just give it a bit of boost, it's still clean.

For a while I went back and forth with the SHO, at some point I was convinced that it makes a difference to the better when it's first in the chain but OFF....I guess I was hearing things!

My impression is also that the pedals that come later in the chain behave better with the SHO as first pedal. And I really like the 'Crackle O.K' label on the pedal. There's hardly a soundcheck where I don't get funny looks after adjusting the SHO as in 'there he goes again with his broken pedals'. And I always make them read that script then!

Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Actually the SHO can be set up to unity gain (or even below) but usually with a Telecaster I tend it to just give it a bit of boost, it's still clean.

For a while I went back and forth with the SHO, at some point I was convinced that it makes a difference to the better when it's first in the chain but OFF....I guess I was hearing things!

My impression is also that the pedals that come later in the chain behave better with the SHO as first pedal. And I really like the 'Crackle O.K' label on the pedal. There's hardly a soundcheck where I don't get funny looks after adjusting the SHO as in 'there he goes again with his broken pedals'. And I always make them read that script then!

Great pedal, you're making me consider again buying one. Very interesting what it does cranked up, unlike any boost/OD I've ever heard - it has a unique sort of shimmer or... I don't want to steal your thunder with a picture but here's the one I borrowed. It's a hand painted version and I told the person I borrowed it from that if I bought his I'd pay what he paid for it. It seems like a good bit of change for a boost, but it does have a different sound. It worked out best first in the chain.

Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Hah, looks great. In fact I have two SHOs as I was using one underneath a big Pedaltrain board and bought the second one for use with smaller boards.

Both of them are hand-painted and to my ears they sound the same. The second one has seen quite a bit of use as you can see. I would sell it just in case you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_2607.jpg  
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hah, looks great. In fact I have two SHOs as I was using one underneath a big Pedaltrain board and bought the second one for use with smaller boards.

Both of them are hand-painted and to my ears they sound the same. The second one has seen quite a bit of use as you can see. I would sell it just in case you're interested.
Great, thanks for the offer! Don't hesitate to sell it to someone else though. Perhaps our talking about it will generate some interest from a person that's never heard it.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great, thanks for the offer! Don't hesitate to sell it to someone else though. Perhaps our talking about it will generate some interest from a person that's never heard it.
Hah, no problem. I might keep it just to be on the safe side should something ever happen to my other SHO.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hah, no problem. I might keep it just to be on the safe side should something ever happen to my other SHO.
You should probably keep yours as a backup. When I said it might create interest I didn't mean for someone to buy yours, I meant interest in general because it is a pedal worth researching and buying (provided it fits a players needs.)
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Guitar>Decimator Noise Gate.

Decimator Loop:
Kelley Bubbletron
Hermida Zen Drive
JHS Moonshine

Decimator> 50w Fargen Super Bass.
Fargen Speaker Out> Freyette Power Station

JHS Panther Cub Delay (FX loop of Power Station)

Power Station>Scumback H12-55.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-rig1.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-board1.jpg  
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Guitar>Decimator Noise Gate.

Decimator Loop:
Kelley Bubbletron
Hermida Zen Drive
JHS Moonshine

Decimator> 50w Fargen Super Bass.
Fargen Speaker Out> Freyette Power Station

JHS Panther Cub Delay (FX loop of Power Station)

Power Station>Scumback H12-55.
Hi Joe, I literally stared at your pedalboard last night for what seemed like 15 minutes, and then I spent about 30 minutes crafting a post, which I didn't post because I've never personally used any of those pedals. But I've heard many of those pedals on YouTube (yes I know it's far from experiencing the actual pedal) and the "mental audio" I get from your pedalboard is sort of a Thor's hammer power thing. I've never asked you what is your most played general genre, would you care to comment?
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Joe, I literally stared at your pedalboard last night for what seemed like 15 minutes, and then I spent about 30 minutes crafting a post, which I didn't post because I've never personally used any of those pedals. But I've heard many of those pedals on YouTube (yes I know it's far from experiencing the actual pedal) and the "mental audio" I get from your pedalboard is sort of a Thor's hammer power thing. I've never asked you what is your most played general genre, would you care to comment?
Hey Rick....so yeah, that rig is kind of based on the fact that the amp is cranked into power tube saturation, and the two dirt pedals just add extra bits. I need to roll my guitar volume back for my clean sound, but that amp stays loud with plenty of chime when doing so.

The Hirmida stays focused for rhythms, and the Moonshine does the TS-808 thing, so a little looser with a bit of midrange for leads. And stacking them both gives a nice violin lead thing. The Bubbletron is like a Mu-Tron...I use it as an envelope phaser, which is kind of an auto-wah, but more focused. It does modulated flange and phase too. Really a great pedal.

The JHS delay is in the FX loop of the power station, so comes after the Fargen power tube saturation.

As far as genre, I guess I'm a hard rock player, heavy on improvised lead playing. Really just chasing the sounds in my head for 30 years....and I'm closer than ever with this rig.

Thanks for asking!
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Hey Rick....so yeah, that rig is kind of based on the fact that the amp is cranked into power tube saturation, and the two dirt pedals just add extra bits. I need to roll my guitar volume back for my clean sound, but that amp stays loud with plenty of chime when doing so.

The Hirmida stays focused for rhythms, and the Moonshine does the TS-808 thing, so a little looser with a bit of midrange for leads. And stacking them both gives a nice violin lead thing. The Bubbletron is like a Mu-Tron...I use it as an envelope phaser, which is kind of an auto-wah, but more focused. It does modulated flange and phase too. Really a great pedal.

The JHS delay is in the FX loop of the power station, so comes after the Fargen power tube saturation.

As far as genre, I guess I'm a hard rock player, heavy on improvised lead playing. Really just chasing the sounds in my head for 30 years....and I'm closer than ever with this rig.

Thanks for asking!
Cool. I'm officially naming your rig Thor's Hammer. Very nice!
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Ok boys, I know your gear addiction and quest for the perfect tone trickles down to your floor gear.
No pedalboard. I use a clean boost and delay, set and forget.
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Ok boys, I know your gear addiction and quest for the perfect tone trickles down to your floor gear.
No pedalboard. I use a clean boost and delay, set and forget.
What clean boost do you use?
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycactus View Post
What clean boost do you use?
Bad Bob. I have an original Robbie Wallace and an Analogman model after Robbie quit making them and licensed the circuit to Mike Periera (ANalogMan) and they're ***identical***. I have two because I keep one in the Deluxe and one in the Super, then I never forget one!

My delay the Rogue Analog Delay, again, one in each gig amp, for the same reason. l Got the two of them on Ebay for $60. :D

Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradt View Post
Bad Bob. I have an original Robbie Wallace and an Analogman model after Robbie quit making them and licensed the circuit to Mike Periera (ANalogMan) and they're ***identical***. I have two because I keep one in the Deluxe and one in the Super, then I never forget one!
Great pedal, I have the AnalogMan version. But I definitely wouldn't call it a clean boost, it's got the right amount of grit that's very different from either overdrive or distortion pedals. As a clean boost I like the Xotic RC Booster best but i actually don't use it that often.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search