The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th January 2016
Gear Guru

When I built my pedalboard, people I knew had never really seen such a thing.That was about 35 years ago.

The board hasn't changed, though a few of the pedals have. The Dynacomp and the DeArmond optical volume pedal have never moved though. I took this photo just now.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-sam_1124.jpg  
Old 15th January 2016
Here for the gear

Boss ME 80. Use it for my cover band. Easy, reliable, I get all I need from it. In the studio, many toys. Kemper.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Ok, got it to load. Whacked some scrap oak in half, diagonally, for the endcaps, stained and poly-ed in about 48 hours, wired it up once, wrong, second time a charm, and she's good to go. A shortage of angled TS cables will be rectified soon, they're backordered and due in 2/5, and there's maybe room for one more device, both on the board and on the loop switcher.

This board's purpose is immediate tone for quick n dirty songwriting, jamming, and practice. We have a nice studio here, with lots of tube goodness elsewhere, but recording can be fiddley and slow, so we set up drums, guitar, keys and vox rigs in parallel, designed to record ideas and riffs, fast, fast, fast.

The EQ is first up, inline full time, but switchable on and off. First switched loop includes the Octa-Bass and/or Mesa Throttlebox.. The Octa-Bass gives acceptible bass tone by itself, at writing levels, but it tracks funny if the signal is too hot. Good enough when the ideas are flowing. Love the Mesa, not much else to say there.

Next switched loop is the Crybaby. That is what it is, too. Third loop goes thru the Boss ME-70. Many options there. Fourth switched loop is currently unpopulated , and the fifth cuts the Boss RC-30 Loopstation in and out. Necessary because the RC-30 emits some digital hash I prefer not to listen to unless we need the looping capabilities.

The Radial ProD2 was a hopeful attempt to remove said digital hash, but no joy. Next move is to have an electrician out to drop another studio only 20 amp homerun there (and one other place), as this rig lives on a household circuit and I'ver never been happy with the quality of the original wiring here.

From the Radial, we run balanced cable to a mono input on a Mackie ProFX-22, which in turn feeds a Crown X-4000 and a pair of 3 way Carvin LM-153's. Not exactly studio monitor quality, but this rig is for energetic sessions and SPL, we mix and master elsewhere.

The Mackie's four subs, two of three auxes and the main outs feed 8 analog ins on one of two MOTU 2408's hung from an older Core Duo Vista box we used for internet feeds, jamming, riff creation, and fun. There's a (mobile)rack of boutique pre's for vox etc, on the other 2408,an ADAT loop to an Octapre Dynamic for percussion, and two ADAT loops into the digital 240 channel facility backbone.

Typically, we'll sneaker-net (USB thumbdrive), developed riffs to an i7 Sonar rig in Tracking, where they can be developed further, and tracked (while standing up), then USB thumb finished arrangements again, to the CR auido i7 for final mix, mastering, and integration with the i7 video edit box.

The floorboard is entirely self contained, except one power feed, and one audio feed. it's light enough to two hand out into the room or slide underneath the bgscreen when not used. The Radial and XLR added about 1/8th inch more vertical heigth then I hoped for, so you have to angle it onto the shelf and back off. For video purposes, the the oak looks presentable if included in the shot. I used felt footpads under the unit to avoid scretching the shelf it sits on, and those tend to wrinkle greenscreen in chromakey shots...we'll figure something out.

:-)

Last edited by JayTee4303; 24th January 2016 at 08:24 PM..
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Monsterpiece - MKII DLX - fuzz
Mellowtone - Hi Five Plus! - boost
FuzzHugger(fx) - AB-Synth XS+ - fuzz
smallsound/bigsound - Mini - overdrive

boredbrain - Patchulator 8000 - patchbay

ZVex - Sonar - tremolo
Dr. Scientist - BitQuest! - multi-effects
Endangered Audio Research - AD4096 - delay
Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Black Fountain - delay
EarthQuaker Devices - Afterneath - reverb
Lastgasp Art Laboratories - Misty Cave - echo
Mid-Fi Electronics - Pitch Pirate - chorus/vibrato

Walrus Audio - Aetos - power supply
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_9716.jpg  
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Addict
No diy-ers here?
I'm going to build a Belton BTDR3 - chip based hall reverb from TH custom.
Those chips have a very good reputation soundwise. It has 3 dials
rev/tone/feedbck and a switch "deep". I'm looking forward to this.
It costs under 50$ including enclosure, custom knobs, everything.
It's a nice job to do if you like making stuff, soldering the thing together costs me about 4 hours. There are a good few "holy grail - like"(I don't mean the reverb) pedals that are direct copies of the original circuit, sometimes with an extra mod tweak if desired.
The kits I put together sound very nice, highly recommended.
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Head

My rack & pedalboard

PALMER PDI-05 Speaker Simulator
Rane SM 26B
Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp & WOODOO Lab Control Switcher
Groove Tube Trio Preamp
Custom Audio Amplifiers 3+ SE Tube Preamp

Budda WAH +
Switcher Boss ES-8
MXR Distortion +
HUDSON Electronics UK Broadcast
Ibanez TS9
Carl Martin Red Repeat
TC Electronic SCF Stéréo Chorus Flanger
Boss DM-2w
POWERTRAIN1250

My BOSS ES-8 Setup
Input 1: Guitar & Budda wah +
Input 2:
Loop 1: MXR Distortion +
Loop 2: HUDSON Electronic Broadcast
Loop 3: IBANEZ TS9
Loop 4: CAA 3+ SE Preamp
Loop 5: Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp
Loop 6: Groove Tubes Trio Preamp
Volume Insert Send: DBX 160 Input (coming soon)
Volume Insert Return: DBX 160 Output (coming soon)
Loop 7: Carl Martin Red Reapet / BOSS DM-2w
Loop 8: TC Electronic SCF (stéréo output)
Tuner: Korg DT-7
Output 1: Palmer PDI-05, Rane SM26B & Laney IRT-X speaker or Audio Design Probox 4
Output 2: Palmer PDI-05, Rane SM26B & Laney IRT-X speaker or Audio Design Probox 4
CTL 1/2: CAA 3+ SE
CTL 3/4: EQ CAA 3+ SE / GT Trio
CTL 5/6: GT Trio
EXP 1:
EXP 2:

Stéphane

Last edited by stephane092; 7th February 2016 at 10:52 AM..
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane092 View Post
My rack & pedalboard

PALMER PDI-05 Speaker Simulator
Rane SM 26B
Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp & WOODOO Lab Control Switcher
Groove Tube Trio Preamp
Custom Audio Amplifiers 3+ SE Tube Preamp

Budda WAH +
Switcher Boss ES-8
MXR Distortion +
HUDSON Electronics UK Broadcast
Ibanez TS9
Carl Martin Red Repeat
TC Electronic SCF Stéréo Chorus Flanger
Boss DM-2w
POWERTRAIN1250

My BOSS ES-8 Setup
Input 1: Guitar & Budda wah +
Input 2:
Loop 1: MXR Distortion +
Loop 2: HUDSON Electronic Broadcast
Loop 3: IBANEZ TS9
Loop 4: CAA 3+ SE Preamp
Loop 5: Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp
Loop 6: Groove Tubes Trio Preamp
Volume Insert Send: DBX 160 Input (coming soon)
Volume Insert Return: DBX 160 Output (coming soon)
Loop 7: Carl Martin Red Reapet / BOSS DM-2w
Loop 8: TC Electronic SCF (stéréo output)
Tuner: Korg DT-7
Output 1: Palmer PDI-05, Rane SM26B & Laney IRT-X speaker or Audio Design Probox 4
Output 2: Palmer PDI-05, Rane SM26B & Laney IRT-X speaker or Audio Design Probox 4
CTL 1/2: CAA 3+ SE
CTL 3/4: EQ CAA 3+ SE / GT Trio
CTL 5/6: GT Trio
EXP 1:
EXP 2:

Stéphane
How's the Boss ES-8 working out for you?
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Head

Dusty.

Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac

I recently streamlined my board.

Peterson strobe tuner > Digitech Drop > Stone Deaf PDF-1 > Boss GE7 EQ > AMT E1 >
Fredric Effects King of Klone > Time Travel Audio Vortex Phaser > TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor >
ISP Decimator > TTA Salvador Delay > TTA Cave Dweller Reverb.
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
How's the Boss ES-8 working out for you?
Good sound with great ability and no latency.

Stéphane
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Good sound with great ability and no latency.

Stéphane
I've been keeping an eye out for a used one but everyone that has one doesn't want to part with it.They recently released a smaller version as well,the ES-5.
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Head

Yes, it will be available in April.

Stéphane
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

Can the Boss break the 8 loops? Or are they serial from 1-8? Could you have loops 1-4 go to the front of your amp, and loops 5-8 go to the FX loop?
Old 15th February 2016
Here for the gear

Homemade board

My homemade pedal board.

Not allowed to post pics, so here's a link.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...D550/ry%3D400/
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Can the Boss break the 8 loops? Or are they serial from 1-8? Could you have loops 1-4 go to the front of your amp, and loops 5-8 go to the FX loop?
The loops are programmable in any order,here's the webpage:
BOSS - ES-8 | Effects Switching System
I've attached the PDF manual as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ES-8_e02_W.pdf (4.84 MB, 117 views)
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear
Main board

Been through so many iterations of my main board since I first got a Musicomlab EFX MKIII, and it's been a real game changer, but the MKIV has kicked that on another notch - Set Lists make such a difference!

Board runs as follows, it's a bit of a mare due to various loops...

Guitar -> Boss NS2 Input
NS2 Output -> AMT V-1 Input

Boss NS2 Send -> Mobius Left IN (Pre)
Mobius Left Out -> EFX In A
EFX Loop 2 - Bogner Wessex
EFX Loop 4 - Bogner Burnley
EFX Out A -> Boss NS-2 Return

AMT V-1 FX Send -> Mobius Right In (Post)
Mobius Right Out -> Timeline Left In
Timeline Left Out -> Big Sky Left In
Big Sky Left Out -> MXR CAE MC401 Boost
CAE Boost -> AMT V-1 FX Return

EFX Tuer Out -> Hotone Tuner

Midi goes from EFX to a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru under the board, then on two the 3 Strymons.

Powered by a single Voodoo 4x4 (used to have 2 of them underneath!!), with some slightly unorthodox routing. The 3 9v 400ma outs obviously go to the Strymons, the remaining high current out @12V goes to the AMT V-1 and it has a courtesy outlet at 12v that goes to the EFX MKIV. The Bogners, NS2 and MXR Boost are powered by the remaining 4 9v 100ma outputs, with the Hotone tuner powered by the courtesy out of the NS-2.

The two Bogners have been an epiphany for me on dirt, they cover such a range! That said, I think I may end up bringing my EP Booster back on to me board and maybe the SL Drive too - they are small enough and give some nice options - I like being able to goose things wit the EP Booster and the EP into the SL Drive rocks.

The AMT V-1 is a great wee preamp, i just go into an FX Return on a combo, and can control my volume and everything straight from the board, a wee flick of a switch and the whole rig can go DI and has a built in Cab Sim. Great flexibility!

Jam Board

The above board is just a board for playing in the house and maybe the odd rehearsal where it's just jamming off the cuff. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it though as this year i made a promise to myself to stop hoarding gear and get lean n mean! Also the Musicomlab stuff has spoiled me in terms of recall - i'm not really a tweaker live, so recall is great for me, no tapdancing, one less thing to mess up live.

I've got a wee nano board as well with a Disaster Area DMC3XL, TC Nova Drive and Zoom MS50G but i've no pics of that guy - it's got full recall which is handy as a wee backup rig, or hen I can't be bothered lugging the main board.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The loops are programmable in any order,here's the webpage:
BOSS - ES-8 | Effects Switching System
I've attached the PDF manual as well.
Got it...you can use the volume pedal loop as a break point to route some fx to the amp front end and some to the fx loop...very cool.
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Got it...you can use the volume pedal loop as a break point to route some fx to the amp front end and some to the fx loop...very cool.
You could also route any loop send to an amp input and the amp FX send back to the loop return and then the output to the amps loop return.
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could also route any loop send to an amp input and the amp FX send back to the loop return and then the output to the amps loop return.
A couple things that really stand out with the ES-8....the fact that you can change the loop order (which is HUGE), and the ability to run up to 2 sets of 2 loops in parallel (run clean/dirty to a single amp, for example).

I love my RJM PBC switcher, but these two features are really tempting.
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
A couple things that really stand out with the ES-8....the fact that you can change the loop order (which is HUGE), and the ability to run up to 2 sets of 2 loops in parallel (run clean/dirty to a single amp, for example).

I love my RJM PBC switcher, but these two features are really tempting.
Plus the loops all have individual programmable buffers as well.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Head

New in the rack

The Fish préamp

Stéphane
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
New in the rack

The Fish préamp

Stéphane
You'e got a dream rack right there...well, almost...you still need a Solano X88r.
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

My main recording/rehearsal board

Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

My gig board. I move my Timeline & DIG onto this board as well. Going to pickup another Timeline/DIG so that I have them on both boards permanently.

Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Nice boards! Love the Fairfields.
Old 3rd March 2016
Here for the gear

After many years of faffing about with pedals & rack units and cheesed off with the odd gig pissed up reveller spilling crap over your pedals so I went down the road of a Behringer FCB1010 and then I use a Boss GT Pro rack ran through a stereo an old MM power amp into 2 Laney 2x12" cabs. That has served me pretty well however I am toying with the idea of getting myself a Kempar rack. Oh and I use a Senheiser UHF wireless too which is great and minimises me tripping up on stage and looking a tit
Old 10th March 2016
Here for the gear

Caroline Guitar Co. WaveCannon
BBE Ben Wah
Polytune
Wampler Ego Comp
Mojo Hand FX Colossus
Malekko Helium
Strymon Deco
Caroline GCo. Kilobyte
Mr. Black Deluxe Plus
Strymon Blue Sky
Hardwire Stereo Dig. Reverb

A lot of pedals but so much fun to play with.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear
Current pedalboard in case.

L-R
Keeley-modded Dunlop GCB95 wah - now true bypass and Fasel inductor
Keeley Compressor
E-H Pitchfork - depending on the show, will swap it out for a Suhr Shiba Drive
Barber Direct Drive - for my crunch
Timmy - as a lead or if I need less crunch and just dirt
Keeley Fuzz Head - for leads
- Loop A:
Xotic EP Booster
Ibanez AD9 Delay
- Loop B:
MXR Phase 90. This also gets swapped out for a MXR Micro Flanger or Ibanez SC10 Chorus depending on the show.
TC Flashback Delay
Radial Bigshot ABY switcher
Pedal Power 2
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_1893.jpg  

Last edited by nedorama; 14th March 2016 at 10:59 PM..
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
My gig board. I move my Timeline & DIG onto this board as well. Going to pickup another Timeline/DIG so that I have them on both boards permanently.

Timeline has spoiled me that when using anything other than my main board I really miss the Timeline. Is the DIG that good?

I've been eying a Source Audio Nemesis to use on a wee jam board with my AMT Bulava preamp, heard great things about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search