The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I understand where you're coming from. For me, I don't really need a lot of different pedals to get different sounds. I tend to use guitars and maps that I really like and I find having a lot of effects detracts from my playing.

I usually am going for a lot cleaner sound, so I think that probably has a lot to do with how I set things up.

That being said, what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. That's why it's cool to see other people's setups
This is very true, if you have good sounding amp rig and a nice guitar that has great pickups and some tone control range you can vary a lot of tones w a basic pedal setup. I am not much a fan of having nothing as any amp can benefit from a little boost or drive at times.
One certainly does not "need" a bunch of pedals to be sure.
I tend to get sick of things pretty quick so its nice for me to be able to use different drives and stacking options which keeps my playing fresh.
I actually blend the vol of two rigs, my std guitar rig and my GR-55 guitar synth rig which sort of pushes the envelope into infinity. Sometimes I just use one or the other but adding some synth capability to my guitar mix makes for a lot of fun.
I would never suggest anyone needs to load up a pedalboard, as really, things get rather complex and chain/hookup tedious whereas keeping it simple has its benefits. One should always use and experiment to their own style and desire. That is the wonderful thing about guitar it just has infinite possibilities.
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

Fulltone Supa-Trem and a RMC10 Wah for me... I get my Electronic Orange Moon-Vibe in July, and that's pretty much all I need.

Going into my Kemper (I don't use any of the Kemper emulated pedals.)
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-bild-3-.jpg  
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear

Just finished mine

Nothing exceeds like excess...this is my new pedalboard. It has a Mastermind pedalswitcher, which is the centerpiece for a MIDI capable set-up. When I select a song on Setlist Maker on my iPad, the correct preset on the Mastermind is selected, as well as any presets on the MIDI capable pedals on my board (Strymon Timeline, Big sky and Mobius, as well as the Nova Drive). Plus, it will select the preset on my Korg Kronos. The Basspedals are used to operate the Kronos synth, which can trigger notes, chords or samples. This gives me better range when performing, especially performing solo.

I needed a case for my basspedals, so I created a clamshell design, and half of the case is then used as a riser for the guitar pedalboard. The guitar pedalboard is multi-tiered with good spacing, but still packed with pedals. The Strymon Big Sky reverb is tucked away in a compartment below the Mobius, since I only need access to it for programming presets, and not live for any reason. The Strymon accessory footswitch is down on the bottom right and provides better control of the looping on the Timeline.

All of the inputs/outputs for the guitar and amp, MIDI, power, and even the USB port for the Mastermind are mounted jacks on the side panels. The pedals are all mounted using bicycle chain links attached to the pedals. For pedals with side screws, I made custom brackets with steel pipe hanger strap (which is nicely malleable for this). Rather than use wood screws to attach the bicycle chain link to the board, I used brass insert screws: they are wood screw thread on the outside to screw into the board, but #6-32 metal screw thread internally. This allows easy removal of pedals without eventually having the wood screw tap hole wear out. Power is hidden underneath the tiers: A Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 feeds most of the pedals. There is a 6 outlet power surge strip inside to plug in the Strymon pedals, Nova Drive and Mastermind, which all came with their own wall warts.

The board is stained black, and all hardware spray painted flat black. The pedal board has a clamshell type cover that fastens securely to protect the pedals during transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233450.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233508.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233549.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233607.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233639.jpg  

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150516_113909.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233343.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150516_134016.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233430.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233212.jpg  

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233123.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150520_233253.jpg  
Old 21st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2ldook View Post
Nothing exceeds like excess...this is my new pedalboard. It has a Mastermind pedalswitcher, which is the centerpiece for a MIDI capable set-up. When I select a song on Setlist Maker on my iPad, the correct preset on the Mastermind is selected, as well as any presets on the MIDI capable pedals on my board (Strymon Timeline, Big sky and Mobius, as well as the Nova Drive). Plus, it will select the preset on my Korg Kronos. The Basspedals are used to operate the Kronos synth, which can trigger notes, chords or samples. This gives me better range when performing, especially performing solo.

I needed a case for my basspedals, so I created a clamshell design, and half of the case is then used as a riser for the guitar pedalboard. The guitar pedalboard is multi-tiered with good spacing, but still packed with pedals. The Strymon Big Sky reverb is tucked away in a compartment below the Mobius, since I only need access to it for programming presets, and not live for any reason. The Strymon accessory footswitch is down on the bottom right and provides better control of the looping on the Timeline.

All of the inputs/outputs for the guitar and amp, MIDI, power, and even the USB port for the Mastermind are mounted jacks on the side panels. The pedals are all mounted using bicycle chain links attached to the pedals. For pedals with side screws, I made custom brackets with steel pipe hanger strap (which is nicely malleable for this). Rather than use wood screws to attach the bicycle chain link to the board, I used brass insert screws: they are wood screw thread on the outside to screw into the board, but #6-32 metal screw thread internally. This allows easy removal of pedals without eventually having the wood screw tap hole wear out. Power is hidden underneath the tiers: A Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 feeds most of the pedals. There is a 6 outlet power surge strip inside to plug in the Strymon pedals, Nova Drive and Mastermind, which all came with their own wall warts.

The board is stained black, and all hardware spray painted flat black. The pedal board has a clamshell type cover that fastens securely to protect the pedals during transport.
Cool! How's the Mastermind working out? Looks like a good device.

I'm wondering if I influenced how you are using Set List Maker, because that's what I do (and have demoed it in videos doing that). I've been gigging that way since November and it's hard to go back. How do you initiate changes in Set List Maker? I have a little aux MIDI pedal I use to step through the set list and do a couple other minor things downstream. The whole process is dead simple at the gig. And if the iPod Touch ever has a problem (which it has not after 30 or so gigs,knock on wood), I can always just step on the MFC-101 controller directly to access patches.
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for the inspiration go2ldook, that's a great board!
(Cool that you're using a PK-5, I used the old Taurus pedal years ago heh)

I'm trying to design two stepped boards for myself at the moment, one for the loop and midi and the other for all the preamp gear & boxes
I'm thinking of having long hinges on the front so I can just tilt the whole thing up to get to the gizzards

At the moment I'm trying to work out how to incorporate a Wounded Paw V4 blender in with the switcher and getting a bit confused heh

But it's great to see what others are doing, always good ideas to learn!
Old 12th June 2015
Here for the gear

My Pedalboard (2015)

Hi everyone!

This is my pedalboard (for now)...
I'm making a rundown of my rig and I intend to post it here soon.

edit: the link to the video... pedalboard on part 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox9y...NWEs34CXHXlhqR
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard-front-20-edit-net-.jpg  
Old 14th June 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys. New to the site and figured I would have my first post be on this thread! Here is my current pedal board. This is gen 2 of the board design. It is an aluminum framing with clear acrylic for all the faces. It is pretty much plug and play as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150613_224016.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-20150613_224004.jpg  
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgetchell3 View Post
Hey guys. New to the site and figured I would have my first post be on this thread! Here is my current pedal board. This is gen 2 of the board design. It is an aluminum framing with clear acrylic for all the faces. It is pretty much plug and play as well.
Welcome!

Does backlighting your board like that make it hard to see the pedals on stage? Just looks like it might be a problem.
Old 16th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
Welcome!

Does backlighting your board like that make it hard to see the pedals on stage? Just looks like it might be a problem.
The backlighting is much more subtle than the camera makes it out to be. It does a nice job of letting me see certain things when it is really dark on stage. I just thought the acrylic with led's would be a bit different than normal.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

I have looked at this thread for years. I even posted one of my early pitiful boards.

I have been obsessed with the whole wet dry rig concept, and I put this together. Here is the the routing path:

Rear input goes to the Pedal Master 7 loop true bypass pedal. Normally, only the buffer is on.
L1 - Fuzz 1
L2 - Fuzz 2
L3 - Wah
L4 - Buffer
L5 - Overdrive
L6 - Boost
L7 - Mod (actually, the aux black loop switcher)

The Blackloop has two loops:
L1 - Memory Man & Ross Flanger (when I hook them up)
L2 - Chorus & Mooer Mod

Visual Sounds Delay - mono in, stereo out
(Dry signal)
(Wet Signal)
Supa-Trem2 - stereo in, stereo out
(Right/Dry)
(Left/Wet)

I made a plate for some input/output. I made another with those 9v battery drawers. I have two going now with cables that feed power to the fuzz pedals. Everything else is powered by the Pedal Power 2 plus under the LA Sound Design buffer / Iso box.

I wired it myself with Mogami cable.

The "Dry" signal (no delay) goes through the Fender Princeton, and the "Wet" through the Champ.

I mike both amps with a '57 and usually an LDC about 18" out from both. Normally in an iso booth with 4" foam barriers on the sides for added isolation. Cabinets on the floor for better bass response (small speakers).
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-3445.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-3696.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-4996.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-4997.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5000.jpg  

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5001.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5003.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5004.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5005.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5006.jpg  

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-picture-5007.jpg  

Last edited by Kronos147; 17th June 2015 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: wiring note
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I have looked at this thread for years. I even posted one of my early pitiful boards.

I have been obsessed with the whole wet dry rig concept, and I put this together. Here is the the routing path:

Rear input goes to the Pedal Master 7 loop true bypass pedal. Normally, only the buffer is on.
L1 - Fuzz 1
L2 - Fuzz 2
L3 - Wah
L4 - Buffer
L5 - Overdrive
L6 - Boost
L7 - Mod (actually, the aux black loop switcher)

The Blackloop has two loops:
L1 - Memory Man & Ross Flanger (when I hook them up)
L2 - Chorus & Mooer Mod

Visual Sounds Delay - mono in, stereo out
(Dry signal)
(Wet Signal)
Supa-Trem2 - stereo in, stereo out
(Right/Dry)
(Left/Wet)

I made a plate for some input/output. I made another with those 9v battery drawers. I have two going now with cables that feed power to the fuzz pedals. Everything else is powered by the Pedal Power 2 plus under the LA Sound Design buffer / Iso box.

I wired it myself with Mogami cable.

The "Dry" signal (no delay) goes through the Fender Princeton, and the "Wet" through the Champ.

I mike both amps with a '57 and usually an LDC about 18" out from both. Normally in an iso booth with 4" foam barriers on the sides for added isolation. Cabinets on the floor for better bass response (small speakers).
Very nice! I really need to try my board with a stereo setup at some point!
Old 21st June 2015
Here for the gear

The sound of my Pedalboard

Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-heman-garde-pedalboard.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I made another with those 9v battery drawers. I have two going now with cables that feed power to the fuzz pedals.
Great solution for Fuzz pedals that don't play nice w/ wall power. I run a 9v to my Java Boost via a battery clip to barrel cable, and have a little stretchy fabric sleeve velcro'd to my board. Your solution is much more elegant. You could even incorporate a 3-pole switch to disconnect batteries w/out having to unplug the pedals. You could even send the third battery to an LED indicator lamp so you remember to turn the switch off.
Old 22nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
You could even incorporate a 3-pole switch to disconnect batteries w/out having to unplug the pedals. You could even send the third battery to an LED indicator lamp so you remember to turn the switch off.
A few days after receiving the items from Allied Electronics, I saw Dave at LA Sound Design. He was designing a box that had a few drawers, with LED lights and switches like you are describing.

Great minds think alike!

Dave's product looked great!
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, some real amazing setups represented here!

I've put a lot of work into my board lately, first time in years that I've put any real effort into it actually.
I decided on an approach that will make many cringe, but it's working great for me!

I decided to go all Boss!
I get a great discount at a Music Go Round that I used to work at.
These pedals come and go all day every day and I get them for so little...
I do gig for part of my living, so I wanted something reliable and simple.
This seemed to fit the bill, I always liked Boss pedals and I never had the desire or the cash to chase down boutique pedals.

I've heard some amazing high end pedals, I certainly am not in denial about how great they can sound, but Boss does the job for me and always has.

And as the years have rolled by, I have noticed that I just like the ergonomics of Boss pedals way more than anything else.
I love the big square switches, I love the form factor in general.
When I'm playing, I really like how they are all the exact same shape, and switching them on and off is all identical.
I can turn three of these things on or off at once with ease!
I never really do that, but I often turn two on at once.
They are arranged in a certain order partially for that alone.

It's been fun and inexpensive to build this board!
And it sounds great!

Only exception to the Boss rule is the DOD stereo chorus at the end, which I've had forever and always loved the sound of.
Maybe if I find an 80's CE-3 I'll finish the all Boss vibe.
(not a fan of their modern choruses at all. Due to one side being "dry", I like true stereo chorus)

I have had the RV-3, and the Tremolo for about 20 years. The tuner for 15.
I've had the compressor and the Blues Driver around before, but never connected with either until now.
Picked up the BDriver, Compressor, the Delays, and the DS-1 all within the last couple months.
The DS-1 has the "clean boost" mod where the two diodes are clipped out, but I kept the C12 cap in.
Not sure why it's called the "clean boost" mod, it's still way too dirty to be a clean boost.
But hitting the front end of the Blues driver with it is fantastic!

If I redo the board with cables that have low profile terminations, I might be able to get one or two more pedals on there!
Interested in the new Booster/Feedbacker (just to get a more true clean boost), and maybe the Tera Echo...? I'd take another DD-7 in a heartbeat though...

So with a nod of respect to all the bad ass boutique pedal boards...
Here's my utilitarian solution:
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-all-boss-all-time.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Nice neat Boss board bar one......

I have both the CS3 and BD2 which I decided to mod some years ago (for some DIY fun) with the Monte Allums kits (better OP Amps) and it has definitely improved the quality of the sound sonically (clarity) when compared to the originals.
My first multi efx pedal was the Boss GT 3....still loved and used by many.......lol
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks deng!

Yeah, I think I may get into modding a couple of them, since these mods are so available and well documented.
I'd really like to do the compressor first.
I never liked compressor pedals until I borrowed an xotic SP for a bit.
Sounded fantastic, and although the Boss isn't as nice, I sort of knew what to do with it once I had borrowed the SP.
It would be great to have it sound better and be a little more forgiving.

I do like the Blues Driver the way it is though, I wouldn't want it to be "cleaner" necessarily.
I like it all blasted out and spitty, almost a fuzz.... it's great!
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo View Post
Wow, some real amazing setups represented here!

I've put a lot of work into my board lately, first time in years that I've put any real effort into it actually.
I decided on an approach that will make many cringe, but it's working great for me!

I decided to go all Boss!
I get a great discount at a Music Go Round that I used to work at.
These pedals come and go all day every day and I get them for so little...
I do gig for part of my living, so I wanted something reliable and simple.
This seemed to fit the bill, I always liked Boss pedals and I never had the desire or the cash to chase down boutique pedals.

I've heard some amazing high end pedals, I certainly am not in denial about how great they can sound, but Boss does the job for me and always has.

And as the years have rolled by, I have noticed that I just like the ergonomics of Boss pedals way more than anything else.
I love the big square switches, I love the form factor in general.
When I'm playing, I really like how they are all the exact same shape, and switching them on and off is all identical.
I can turn three of these things on or off at once with ease!
I never really do that, but I often turn two on at once.
They are arranged in a certain order partially for that alone.

It's been fun and inexpensive to build this board!
And it sounds great!

Only exception to the Boss rule is the DOD stereo chorus at the end, which I've had forever and always loved the sound of.
Maybe if I find an 80's CE-3 I'll finish the all Boss vibe.
(not a fan of their modern choruses at all. Due to one side being "dry", I like true stereo chorus)

I have had the RV-3, and the Tremolo for about 20 years. The tuner for 15.
I've had the compressor and the Blues Driver around before, but never connected with either until now.
Picked up the BDriver, Compressor, the Delays, and the DS-1 all within the last couple months.
The DS-1 has the "clean boost" mod where the two diodes are clipped out, but I kept the C12 cap in.
Not sure why it's called the "clean boost" mod, it's still way too dirty to be a clean boost.
But hitting the front end of the Blues driver with it is fantastic!

If I redo the board with cables that have low profile terminations, I might be able to get one or two more pedals on there!
Interested in the new Booster/Feedbacker (just to get a more true clean boost), and maybe the Tera Echo...? I'd take another DD-7 in a heartbeat though...

So with a nod of respect to all the bad ass boutique pedal boards...
Here's my utilitarian solution:

So how does the straight guitar sound through 20 cascading buffers?

19:35 (over-buffered...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iN4FFUrUgw
As long as the sound is working to your playing nothing really matters. Probably not that noticeable if heavily processed in multiple pedals.
Just saying it tends to not sound natural and as dynamically full.
Buffers are essential in a decent size board but one can have too many which is a downside of Boss. Not that one needs to run out and redo everything but just saying I'll bet if you put all that in a bypass looper switcher like the Carl Martin the sound of the guitar would be notably richer and more dynamic, less compressed when no compressor is on. Boss makes good stuff but one can get too much of the class B buffering cascade.
The ideal config is a buffer or a buffer pedal near the front(usually after any older circuit fuzz) and one at the end of the board, sandwiching bypass pedals in the middle. I use a sandwich of two Klon circuits pre and post board with the Klon buffers always on.
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

I was waiting for this...

Well, it certainly sounds better through less of the boss pedals than more of them.
And it sounds even better through no pedals at all, but that doesn't really matter does it?
Unless i was going to play with literally no pedals... Which I am not going to do.
I'm at least putting a tuner and one delay on the floor. So at that point it's irrelevant to worry about it for me.
Twist the amp knobs till it sounds good and play.

I wanted a more fleshed out pedalboard and this was what I could afford.
And at this point I don't have any real need, much less the time and money to go down the rabbit hole of true bypass etc...
I go to the gig, rock the F out, try to have fun, get paid.
Ain't nothin about this pedalboard that's stopping me from that.

Taking the Line 6 DL4 off the board was a huge improvement in tone, that was enough to keep me happy for the time being.

If I get to the point where I really need to rethink my setup, I'm sure I will.
Pedalboards never really stay the same for long anyway, right?

My guitars all have the tone and volume pots taken out of the signal path, BTW.
pickups-switch-output jack.
Maybe that helps..? Or not, who knows...

I just count on the fact that for the most part "the tone's in the bone".
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear
As long as it works for you that is what matters, and of course one works within what they can afford.
It is is a lot of class B buffers, 2 per pedal, and that was two notable designer builders commenting on a huge chain of Boss. You can take them out of line w a Carl Martin Octa type bypass switcher although those are not cheap but does improve ones tone. It is all where you want to take your gear. Most of the fun playing for me is the constant gear coolness that comes out. Cannot buy everything so I try to plan targets and what I can trade off or sell to take the next step.

I never knew what a buffer circuit pedal was to a bypass a few years ago, but now I understand the issues and what things do. I see a lot of name players who really have no idea of the tech side of things and I really do not get that level of being unaware as to how things work or what can improve the sound quality.

Seems like there are phases one goes through with different pedal lines. I had the Boss phase, the Line 6, the Fulltone, Ibanez, and so on. I have always kept trading up slowly but surely. It is a long process but if what you have is where you want to be, then there you are. I am never happy with a series of pedals for a long time as it is nice just to change tone structures and voicing.

Having one or two buffers in a chain with true bypass makes a difference in your tone quality. Having a bunch of cascading buffers loses the natural dynamic and fullness of the guitar, sounds compressive and farty. It does make a difference, but be that as it may, one should always do what rings the cow bell, if you like having all Boss, then have at it.

In case someone does not know, a buffer circuit is always passing the signal through it, even when the pedal is off, it lowers the impedance from the hiZ impedance of the guitar to low impedance. This prevents signal degrade and literally makes a huge chain of true by pass pedals after it invisible to signal loss or degrade. Low impedance allows really long cable runs without degrade.
A buffer at the front of the chain, drops the impedance and makes the pedals not suffer signal degrade. A buffer end of chain helps drive the signal back to the amp line.
Once you buffer the signal and it is dropped to low impedance there is no advantage to again and again cascade the signal through a ton of further buffering. The good has been done on the first one, too many and the guitar does not sound natural, it sounds overtly processed because, well, it is.
When a pedal is on it will not be that noticeable, but, one has to ponder the initial tone that is being processed by the pedal when on is not optimal so when that gets improved the pedals will sound better and more to their potential.

Just saying if you like the Boss line and see no changes evident. Getting some bypass switcher pedals, many can be found pretty inexpensive. the resulting freeing up of your signal will be a good thing and it will sound better and the feel response will be better as you play. Maybe you know that, or perhaps someone else will pick up the info and make use of it.
Do not get the idea anyone is trying to push anyone to drop the buffered Boss line to the exclusion of uber boutique pedals. Just saying there are ways less expensive to improve the sound if one is inclined to do so. Keeley and JHS made some nice bypass switch pedals that were not that much, I am sure there are bunch more out there these days of so many new things all the time.

Last edited by darkhorse; 25th June 2015 at 10:54 AM..
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

I'm touring Australia next month so here's my small(ish) travel board for the tour.

sig chain.

1: DIY input/output device with Pete Cornish buffers
2: TC poly tune
3: DIY Demeter compulator
4: DIY menatone red snapper
5: DIY Zendrive
6: TC viscous vibe
7: TC Alter ego X4
8: TC HOF

voodolabs power

MC
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-wp_20150625_002.jpg  
Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
As long as it works for you that is what matters, and of course one works within what they can afford.
It is is a lot of class B buffers, 2 per pedal, and that was two notable designer builders commenting on a huge chain of Boss. You can take them out of line w a Carl Martin Octa type bypass switcher although those are not cheap but does improve ones tone. It is all where you want to take your gear. Most of the fun playing for me is the constant gear coolness that comes out. Cannot buy everything so I try to plan targets and what I can trade off or sell to take the next step.

I never knew what a buffer circuit pedal was to a bypass a few years ago, but now I understand the issues and what things do. I see a lot of name players who really have no idea of the tech side of things and I really do not get that level of being unaware as to how things work or what can improve the sound quality.

Seems like there are phases one goes through with different pedal lines. I had the Boss phase, the Line 6, the Fulltone, Ibanez, and so on. I have always kept trading up slowly but surely. It is a long process but if what you have is where you want to be, then there you are. I am never happy with a series of pedals for a long time as it is nice just to change tone structures and voicing.

Having one or two buffers in a chain with true bypass makes a difference in your tone quality. Having a bunch of cascading buffers loses the natural dynamic and fullness of the guitar, sounds compressive and farty. It does make a difference, but be that as it may, one should always do what rings the cow bell, if you like having all Boss, then have at it.

In case someone does not know, a buffer circuit is always passing the signal through it, even when the pedal is off, it lowers the impedance from the hiZ impedance of the guitar to low impedance. This prevents signal degrade and literally makes a huge chain of true by pass pedals after it invisible to signal loss or degrade. Low impedance allows really long cable runs without degrade.
A buffer at the front of the chain, drops the impedance and makes the pedals not suffer signal degrade. A buffer end of chain helps drive the signal back to the amp line.
Once you buffer the signal and it is dropped to low impedance there is no advantage to again and again cascade the signal through a ton of further buffering. The good has been done on the first one, too many and the guitar does not sound natural, it sounds overtly processed because, well, it is.
When a pedal is on it will not be that noticeable, but, one has to ponder the initial tone that is being processed by the pedal when on is not optimal so when that gets improved the pedals will sound better and more to their potential.

Just saying if you like the Boss line and see no changes evident. Getting some bypass switcher pedals, many can be found pretty inexpensive. the resulting freeing up of your signal will be a good thing and it will sound better and the feel response will be better as you play. Maybe you know that, or perhaps someone else will pick up the info and make use of it.
Do not get the idea anyone is trying to push anyone to drop the buffered Boss line to the exclusion of uber boutique pedals. Just saying there are ways less expensive to improve the sound if one is inclined to do so. Keeley and JHS made some nice bypass switch pedals that were not that much, I am sure there are bunch more out there these days of so many new things all the time.
I was aware of the basics of buffers and true bypass, but I really appreciate this post.
I'm glad you went into more detail, thank you darkhorse! Valuable info for sure!

My Boss pedalboard is an experiment in simplicity and ergonomic uniformity... on a low budget.
I'm getting all that by sacrificing some tone, I'm fully aware.

If I get bugged or curious, I'll switch it up! I'm not too worried about it, very happy for the time being...

Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I'm touring Australia next month so here's my small(ish) travel board for the tour.
sig chain.
1: DIY input/output device with Pete Cornish buffers
2: TC poly tune
3: DIY Demeter compulator
4: DIY menatone red snapper
5: DIY Zendrive
6: TC viscous vibe
7: TC Alter ego X4
8: TC HOF

voodolabs power
MC

Pretty interesting travel board
Taken your Alex's amps skills to Hermida's pedals....lol
Someone spent some time degooing to reconstruct that circuit.......lol

I have the AE2, HOF and an original Zendrive ( the last two, staples of RF )

Down under in winter, still you should have a bit of fun here.
Will PM you for your tour schedule, might catch up if you pass thru my way.

Keep rocking....
Old 1st July 2015
Lives for gear

My boardless board.

Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_8717.jpg  
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Here is teh one I need to wire up!

Old 9th July 2015
Here for the gear

Made mine from an old fruit crate that was just lying around in my garage.

Sorry, wouldn't normally post links but it won't let me embed so here:

http://s10.postimg.org/6e04u7e2x/image.jpg

Fairfield Comp - Greyscale Hellcat - VPJR - Boss DM2 - EQD Organizer - EQD Dispatch Master. Channel switch for my amp.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altar View Post
Interesting "board". And, nice Fairfield and Greyscale.
Old 9th July 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks! I made it in a few hours so it's a miracle it turned out as well as it did.

The fairfield and greyscale are amazing. The fairfield is my favorite pedal comp I've owned, I'm looking at grabbing another as well. Greyscale is just this huge, ripping distortion... Very "doomy".
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altar View Post
The fairfield is my favorite pedal comp I've owned, I'm looking at grabbing another as well.
I need a compressor. But, I can't get into 'em enough to decide on one.
Old 10th July 2015
Here for the gear

Go with the fairfield, man! I've used it on other instruments as well, it really is quite the comp. Nice color to it.

And for $100, I mean come on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search