The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
The first thing I would say is just because you own a pedal doesn't mean you need it on your board.

I think a lot of the huge boards are overkill and/or confusing. Some people need all that stuff to play live, but I use effects more for recording and stick to a more basic configuration on my board.

There will always be some weird thing you need, but I find having a few different sized boards and being able to arrange them for each situation works best for me.
I'm not a collector. I only get/own exactly what I need to achieve the sound I want. I record in my studio and play live... and though the live part has been more synth based, I want to play out live doing more ambient guitar stuff as well, so yes, I need a board to hold all of my pedals that I use, which is every pedal that I own (and it's not that many compared to a lot of people's boards I've seen.) Also, since I'm also a synth guy, I don't get confused with technology like many guitarists do. (I am just kidding. a bit. )

I'm just debating which is the lesser of two evils, having to use zip ties on something like the Holeyboard, or using velcro (which I never liked) on something like the forthcoming Pedaltrain Terra (replacement for the Grande.) The Holeyboard I like because it's curved and has that upper tier, but not all of my pedals will work well with zip ties (plus, aesthetically, just doesn't look good, but that's not as important.) I don't know yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
The only thing I can say is that I started by going zip ties and not every pedal I own lent itself to being zip tied, but then I couldn't run zip ties and any angle like you could with that board. So it looks like a cool idea in theory.
Yeah, I'm realizing this now as well; the Eventide H9 doesn't have a good placed to have zip ties across it, the Strymon Mobius is kind of big and awkward, etc.
Old 16th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I'm not a collector. I only get/own exactly what I need to achieve the sound I want. I record in my studio and play live... and though the live part has been more synth based, I want to play out live doing more ambient guitar stuff as well, so yes, I need a board to hold all of my pedals that I use, which is every pedal that I own (and it's not that many compared to a lot of people's boards I've seen.) Also, since I'm also a synth guy, I don't get confused with technology like many guitarists do. (I am just kidding. a bit. )
I hear where you're coming from. I'm not afraid of technology, I was actually a dual major when I was in college (MP&E/Music Synth @ Berklee), but when it comes to guitar I'll use certain things when I'm recording but live I tend to just use my hands and a couple boxes unless there are specific sounds I need.

To each their own, I just always am amazed at guys with 20 pedals on a board.
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
I hear where you're coming from. I'm not afraid of technology, I was actually a dual major when I was in college (MP&E/Music Synth @ Berklee), but when it comes to guitar I'll use certain things when I'm recording but live I tend to just use my hands and a couple boxes unless there are specific sounds I need.

Well, you know, not everyone plays just straight-ahead rock, or jazz or country, etc. Some of us are more experimental... I'm always amazed at guys too afraid to breakout and explore other genres than what they are use to (not exactly directing this at you, but...) You saying what you said is just a really limited and narrow way of thinking.

Anyway, I only have about 12 pedals and am looking to add a looper and one more tone shaping pedal of some sort (filter? treble booster?) and for me, it is all about exploring, experimenting and sound design (I do indie film scores and atmospheric/ambient sound design, and much of my own song-based music don't fit in any traditional genres.) To then perform this in a live context requires me to have a pedalboard, which is why I made my initial post asking about the holeyboard... didn't know I was going to catch flak for it!
Old 16th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
To then perform this in a live context requires me to have a pedalboard, which is why I made my initial post asking about the holeyboard... didn't know I was going to catch flak for it!
If you have anything more than a guitar amp, booster and guitar, you are always going to encounter people online or at gigs who will tell you how they use less, as if there is a standard equation and they meet it. Just saying this must sound to them like instant wisdom or some indication that they are on a different level. Basically, it's not advice being given, it's about them feeling better about themselves and their choices, with the subtle suggestion that perhaps you can't cut it without all your effects. It's annoying. Just ignore it.

I play in several configurations, from the smallest you can imagine to something pretty monstrous. I prefer to just play the stripped down stuff, but it's all in context of doing what you feel the song or gig demands. You know .. being a pro. I never take more than I will actually use.

The suggestion of having 2 different sized pedal boards is a good one though IF you find yourselves playing different types of gigs. It sucks to haul in Pedalstar Galactica only to use 1 or 2 of the effects.

Last edited by Joe_K; 16th April 2015 at 10:45 PM..
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
If you have anything more than a guitar amp, booster and guitar, you are always going to encounter people online or at gigs who will tell you how they use less, as if there is a standard equation and they meet it. Just saying this must sound to them like instant wisdom or some indication that they are on a different level. Basically, it's not advice being given, it's about them feeling better about themselves and their choices, with the subtle suggestion that perhaps you can't cut it without all your effects. It's annoying. Just ignore it.

I play in several configurations, from the smallest you can imagine to something pretty monstrous. I prefer to just play the stripped down stuff, but it's all in context of doing what you feel the song or gig demands. You know .. being a pro. I never take more than I will actually use.

The suggestion of having 2 different sized pedal boards is a good one though IF you find yourselves playing different types of gigs. It sucks to haul in Pedalstar Galactica only to use 1 or 2 of the effects.
Yep, that makes sense. Thanks Joe_K.

So, I guess, in order to add some context for Noah330, since he doesn't know me or know where I am coming from; I started as a drummer at the age of 4 back in 1968 (my Dad was a drummer, Radio DJ and concert promoter, so music was the family business) and picked up guitar when I was 8. By the time I was 13 in the 1970s, I was playing in bands with adults twice my age, mostly as a guitarist (at times having to teach the other guitarist and drummer their parts!) with nothing more than a tube amp and a crybaby wah, and occasionally a talk box I had briefly before it wasn't stolen from my locker in Junior High (my mistake.)

So, I already did the whole raw, I don't need anything but my axe rock'n'roll thing. By the late 70s early 80s I got into synths, samplers and experimenting with tape loops and effects, and fast forward to today with my own record label, a couple of small filmscores and commercials under my belt, and credits as a sound designer, audio editor and author of music technology and more... I think it's safe to say that I can pretty much make music out of anything; give me a garbage can and a couple of bowls filled with water, and I can make music from it. I've worked in just about every genre, and now am exploring getting back to playing live, but this time as a solo artist, no band. Just me, a couple of synths and my pedals... and all without a degree in music! Go figure!

I don't "need" to use a bunch of pedals, but I do so to explore new territories in audio design; to create atmospheric soundscapes and to see how far I can push my own boundaries. It would be like asking Brian Eno, or more specifically, David Torn (see video below) why he uses so many pedals...

Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

@genshi

Nice too see another pushing the envelope and not stereotyping……lol

With regards to DT, he hangs out and is quite active at TheGearPage under the username Splatt, you can catch him there to pick his brain…..

Grew up digging Tangerine Dream and all the synth stuff, also dig the Boards of Canada…..

Just ignore the ones who disses about other’s uses of gear, they have to put others down to make themselves feel better……lol

You know where you’re at…..creative and experimental…..the most important attainment in music…. self actualisation!!

BTW: Boss recently released a synth pedal for guitars without having to use special Pus, I'll have to check it out when it becomes available

http://www.boss.info/products/sy-300/features/

Last edited by deng; 17th April 2015 at 01:26 AM..
Old 19th April 2015
Gear Nut

I agree deng, if you're doing live experimental, and using non-preset analog gear, you need a bunch of stuff
When you consider Eno, each track is a different configuration of gear to create a particular atmosphere

I had an 'over the top' modular synth studio 20 years ago, and would have various synths
set to particular patches to make up the 'palette'
For live guitar situations, distribution boxes and switchers routing groups of effects rather
than individual ones is a way of keeping it manageable

That said, you can still do a lot with three boxes!
(having fun testing my new flanger that arrived yesterday)

Old 19th April 2015
Finally got off batteries, bought a Joyo power supply for US$45.00 Woooo Hooooo!!!!!

Old 23rd April 2015
Thought I would show off my new twins. I recently bought a pair of temple duo 17 pedalboards and retired my tired skb ps-35 and ps-25. I love the metal plates for switching out pedals. In the past my velcro'ed pedals would always slip during transport and cause the cables to short out. Last year I tried the heaviest duty velcro from stompin-ground and it held well but I could never remove the pedals without pulling out a some tools.

One board is set up for rock and funk gigs, and the other board is set up for my pedal-steel and americana guitar gigs. For now I am using their padded duo 17 case but I am going to get a larger pelican case so I can transport both of them and combine them in one case for larger gigs. Pretty cool that the voodoo lab power supply can handle my 24v micro synth. The other power supply is the t-rex fuel tanks jr which lines up perfectly to their cut out hole on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedal-boards.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard-2.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard-back.jpg  
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear
For some reason I am not allowed to use IMG tags, this will have to do. Sorry about that.

Some of my guitars, the amp and pedal board (thus far), and my modified desk that is basically an "recording instrument stand".

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Guitar-amp.jpg
My amp and board. Next pedal will be a clean boost of some sort. And then another drive pedal, for when to get down and dirty ^^

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tash/Strat.jpg
A John Mayer signature Strat in the corner...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...he%20couch.jpg
"The others" above the couch... Takamine PT05, 1976 Ibanez Concord 12 string, 1981 Ibanez Concord 6-string, Washburn J-9, and an Ibanez acoustic bass.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ash/Corner.jpg
Nice view of the setup underneath my beautiful Ibanez P2, John Petrucci signature.
Old 6th May 2015
Here for the gear
Here it is ..................... yes I'm being sarcastic I don't use pedals .... this is my first post here.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had a question for you all: I don't have a pedalboard yet as I haven't been able to find one that fits my needs, but I did just come across the Holeyboards and was wondering if anyone here has used them? I'm specifically looking at their Big Kahuna board. They seem fairly inexpensive and I think I like the idea of using zip ties over velcro. Any thoughts?
How are you going to transport that board? IMHO there's quite some good reasons why most cases (and hence boards as well) are squared.
This one may look good on stage, the rounded shaoe may as well be comfortable in terms of actual stepping, but it sure is a nightmare to pack and transport as it'd require a much larger case than the usual suspects.

- Sascha
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Jimster, you need to copy the public link for your dropbox photos to be able to show them. And once you're using that link you should as well be able to directly post them here.
Old 7th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
How are you going to transport that board? IMHO there's quite some good reasons why most cases (and hence boards as well) are squared.
This one may look good on stage, the rounded shaoe may as well be comfortable in terms of actual stepping, but it sure is a nightmare to pack and transport as it'd require a much larger case than the usual suspects.

- Sascha
I've already contacted Chris who makes the Holeyboard and he's making a custom sturdy case for that particular "Big Kahuna" board. And between their case and the Big Kahuna board, it's still less expensive than the largest Pedaltrain board, but still haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet.

Still, being able to bring just one big pedal board and a single guitar is much easier than what I'm doing now; bringing a 50 Pound ATA case with my Moog synth plus 3 other synths, 3 stands and tabletops, several small effects, drum machines and sequencers and a Mackie mixer... Guitarists have it easy!
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
Thought I would show off my new twins. I recently bought a pair of temple duo 17 pedalboards and retired my tired skb ps-35 and ps-25. I love the metal plates for switching out pedals. In the past my velcro'ed pedals would always slip during transport and cause the cables to short out. Last year I tried the heaviest duty velcro from stompin-ground and it held well but I could never remove the pedals without pulling out a some tools.

One board is set up for rock and funk gigs, and the other board is set up for my pedal-steel and americana guitar gigs. For now I am using their padded duo 17 case but I am going to get a larger pelican case so I can transport both of them and combine them in one case for larger gigs. Pretty cool that the voodoo lab power supply can handle my 24v micro synth. The other power supply is the t-rex fuel tanks jr which lines up perfectly to their cut out hole on the side.
How do those screws on the bottom of the pedalboard connect - are you drilling holes in the bottom of your pedals?

I've had a pedalboard for 10 years using Home Depot 2" velcro and have never had a pedal slip off. Clean your pedals with rubbing alcohol, apply velcro with pressure, and let sit overnight.
Old 8th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
How do those screws on the bottom of the pedalboard connect - are you drilling holes in the bottom of your pedals?

I've had a pedalboard for 10 years using Home Depot 2" velcro and have never had a pedal slip off. Clean your pedals with rubbing alcohol, apply velcro with pressure, and let sit overnight.
Temple uses metal plates with heavy duty adhesive. The plate then screws to the pedals board with a thumb screw. The design works extremely well. This system is not for everyone, for example someone who buys and sells a lot of their pedals may be better off with velcro!

With the velcro my problem was not with the adhesive but the hook and loop system. My wah would constantly lose its hook&loop contact and crash into the other pedals during transport. My micro synth also had this problem. I even revecroed my pedal board with a new sheet from stomping ground and it kept happening.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
Temple uses metal plates with heavy duty adhesive. The plate then screws to the pedals board with a thumb screw. The design works extremely well. This system is not for everyone, for example someone who buys and sells a lot of their pedals may be better off with velcro!

With the velcro my problem was not with the adhesive but the hook and loop system. My wah would constantly lose its hook&loop contact and crash into the other pedals during transport. My micro synth also had this problem. I even revecroed my pedal board with a new sheet from stomping ground and it kept happening.
Thanks for explaining. On my way, I have the EWS wah plate that screws on the bottom instead of the feet. With a 4" strip, it's almost impossible to move/remove the wah, but my board is solid with holes drilled for power.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

My latest version:

My main amp - Morgan AC20 Deluxe

Last edited by Meriphew; 12th May 2015 at 12:34 AM..
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hmmm.. I don't know why my Photobucket pics aren't working?
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Hmmm.. I don't know why my Photobucket pics aren't working?
Did you use the yellow button [IMG]?
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Lepinski View Post
Finally got off batteries, bought a Joyo power supply for US$45.00 Woooo Hooooo!!!!!

So is that a daisy chained supply brick? Half the pedals are not hooked up. The Whammy is running off of it as well?

Last edited by darkhorse; 17th May 2015 at 11:20 AM..
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenxtein View Post
Here it is ..................... yes I'm being sarcastic I don't use pedals .... this is my first post here.
I suppose posting in a pedalboard thread is somehow relevant?
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

The thing is I have probably 20 pedals including my rack mount and guitar synth. I guess it is thought we have all those on at once in a huge collage washout of tone. It is just about options for me, different colors, different voicing.
I mean how long does it take to get sick of the same damn tone all the time, just one drive and so on?
I might have just one or two pedals on at time. It's nice having a lot of colors to paint with, that way your pictures aren't all monochrome or sepia.
I thought by now those laughing at larger boards would get that we are not all rank beginners and we use different pedals for changes and sound differences. Seems a real boring bunch of songs with the same couple tones one after another. I have heard my share of live bands with the same generic tone song after song, a lot of them are just phoning it in. It's as boring to play as to listen to.
One can approach playing from a minimalist perspective or from using the gear you like for the tones you like. My board is 4'x2' with two levels, I can carry it myself but just as easy for another to grab an end. I can see having no gear to hook up and no setup but that just seems a little boring and lacking in fun for my view and ears. Pedals make the guitar fun and expand its sonic range, leaving the fun at home just seems pointless. If I am not having fun playing there is no point to it for me.

Last edited by darkhorse; 17th May 2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 17th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
So is that a daisy chained supply brick? Half the pedals are not hooked up. The Whammy is running off of it as well?

You have a very good eye!
I'm not daisy chaining any of the pedals.
Only nine pedals are mounted on the board; eight pedals are hooked up to the brick and the Mu-Tron Volume Wah has it's own power chord.
The other pedals, that you see in the photo, including the Digitech Whammy, are not mounted to the board and are not hooked up.
I'm just using the opportunity to show off my modest pedal collection.

That Temple, metal top board looks cool. I have the same problem as mentioned by TRIBEDESCRIBE above: my Volume Wah (and heavier pedals) keep un-velcroing during transport... very annoying. However, I'm thinking that you can use the base plate screws, on each pedal, to fasten directly to the metal board?
No all pedals have screws on the bottom (Big Muff Pi for example) but, in that case, you can stick one of their plates to the bottom.
Sounds like an awesome idea!!!

I go through phases playing shows....
Sometimes, I feel like dragging a lot of gear along for more tonal diversity & fun.
Other times, I just bring a guitar, a cable and plug directly into my 1980's Randal RG80 (the most kick ass ss amp ever made!!!!) Woooo mofoing hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the amp so much, I have two!

Last edited by Ajax Lepinski; 17th May 2015 at 03:26 PM..
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Other times, I just bring a guitar, a cable and plug directly into my 1980's Randal RG80 (the most kick ass ss amp ever made!!!!) Woooo mofoing hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was my first amp....got it in 1984. I agree...kick ass SS combo. Loud and clean as can be, plus a pretty aggressive OD sound. Also had a great sound when combining channels.

I sold mine in 1992, but recently picked one up used in pristine condition for $175. Anyone looking for a great gigging amp on a budget should look into a used RG-80 for sure.
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you use the yellow button [IMG]?
Yeah. I've posted many pics here over the years. Posted many on other music forums as well. I also noticed that my earlier pics of my pedalboard no longer show up either (they used to).
Old 18th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Quote:
That was my first amp....got it in 1984. I agree...kick ass SS combo. Loud and clean as can be, plus a pretty aggressive OD sound. Also had a great sound when combining channels.

I sold mine in 1992, but recently picked one up used in pristine condition for $175. Anyone looking for a great gigging amp on a budget should look into a used RG-80 for sure.
Hey Joe! Nice to run across another RG80 believer - awesome! I bought mine around the same time as you. I always play it with combined channels - IMHO the amp sounds best with combined channels.
I had no idea that you can pull out the treble knob for attenuation, until I saw that vid. Can you imagine, playing an amp for 30 years and you suddenly find out it has a secret pull knob? Ha! Too funny!
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

My modest little setup
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard.jpg  
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
You have a very good eye!
I'm not daisy chaining any of the pedals.
Only nine pedals are mounted on the board; eight pedals are hooked up to the brick and the Mu-Tron Volume Wah has it's own power chord.
The other pedals, that you see in the photo, including the Digitech Whammy, are not mounted to the board and are not hooked up.
I'm just using the opportunity to show off my modest pedal collection.

That Temple, metal top board looks cool. I have the same problem as mentioned by TRIBEDESCRIBE above: my Volume Wah (and heavier pedals) keep un-velcroing during transport... very annoying. However, I'm thinking that you can use the base plate screws, on each pedal, to fasten directly to the metal board?
No all pedals have screws on the bottom (Big Muff Pi for example) but, in that case, you can stick one of their plates to the bottom.
Sounds like an awesome idea!!!

I go through phases playing shows....
Sometimes, I feel like dragging a lot of gear along for more tonal diversity & fun.
I like the amp so much, I have two!
So does the power supply state it is "isolated and filtered ports" as there are many power bricks that are daisy chain supplies and not isolated independent ports, like the VoodooLab or BBE and others. I really do suspect for the low price it is a chained supply brick like DC Bricks and others, that puts the law of current draw into effect that the total mA draw of all pedals must be under the bricks max mA capacity.
You have to look on it and see what its mA capacity is, most are 1000mA or 1A, so you are probably within the limit as most pedals are under 50mA draw, delays can be 200-250mA. I know the Whammy is a huge draw. I use a Whammy V, love that puppy, now polyphonic and bypass wired. I love the 5th harmonizer modes on that thing.

Makes a difference in noise potential and ground loop issues, some pedals bloody hate daisy chaining feeds. Many do the daisy thing and have no problem but at some point they stick on a new pedal that is just not tolerant of them. Most Fulltone's hate it, hum, buzz and switch charge popping.
Personally I use a Furman master power condition for my whole rig to have the power come from one ground source. My pedals are powered by two VoodooLab Plus units and a couple high voltage or high current custom warts that most bricks cannot muster. Pretty much zero noise or switch popping. I cannot afford the new mega high tech bricks but the VLs were just like buying a couple pedals. Been using VoodooLab for ages, great power supplies.

i can see maybe picking various pedals for a gig but I like having more than one drive and high gain for different tones. I see a lot of bands that sound the same, song to song through the whole gig, I wonder if the average listener gets as bored as I do. Watch heads turn when you kick on something different like a Phase or the Whammy, they like tone changes.

Last edited by darkhorse; 18th May 2015 at 11:27 AM..
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
One can approach playing from a minimalist perspective or from using the gear you like for the tones you like. My board is 4'x2' with two levels, I can carry it myself but just as easy for another to grab an end. I can see having no gear to hook up and no setup but that just seems a little boring and lacking in fun for my view and ears. Pedals make the guitar fun and expand its sonic range, leaving the fun at home just seems pointless. If I am not having fun playing there is no point to it for me.
I understand where you're coming from. For me, I don't really need a lot of different pedals to get different sounds. I tend to use guitars and maps that I really like and I find having a lot of effects detracts from my playing.

I usually am going for a lot cleaner sound, so I think that probably has a lot to do with how I set things up.

That being said, what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. That's why it's cool to see other people's setups

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search