The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear
This is DEFINITELY me for like forever!

Upgraded my EFX MKIII to MKIV, simply because the Setlist function is just too good topass on for the next few months - got 8 gigs I think across 2 months, different towns and likely to be different sets due to time differences - the MKIV has thissetlist mode, which is effectively 'virtual banks' . It's amazing.I was gonna get the MKIV later in the year, but I thought why not get it now when it I've actually got a lot of gigs? :D

Additionally the MKIV has the expression pedal able to change it's midi setup per preset, which is perfect for using the same pedal to do Mobius wah one song, then some delay ambience next, then even gain rides on the TC Nova the next song!

The other change I made was swapping theM-1 out for the V-1 as mentioned earlier!
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Yep, the Wampler stuff is addicting. I could seriously see myself getting a whole board full of wampler and being happy as can be. His stuff is that good. Keep the wife happy and keep the pedals flowing. Luckily for me, my wife is a musician too. lol. My addiction is her addiction.

Off topic, do you have any good recommendations where I should get all new electronics for my Les Paul. I have a 57 pickup and a Duncan PAF, I just need to replace all the pots, the toggle and input. They guy that had it before me kind of did a hack job on the install and I just ripped it all out and want to give it a fresh start.

I saw Stem Mac had some good kits, but if you know anywhere else. That would be great.

Thanks.
+10 on the Wampler. I remember reading a comment that some player returned one of the Wampler as it was "not amp sounding", which sort of blows my mind as to what they were hearing or how they had it adjusted.
My wife is not a musician but she is cool with my buying all sorts of gear and having some fun with it. What got her was when she said "don't you have enough stuff", I took her to her closet and pointed out if she had enough shoes or purses, then she got it. She knows I look for a quality buy like when she shops for clothes, a good deal is a good deal.
Anyway.

Parts, there are some great parts sources I have seen which sell quality and vintage style parts and the old wiring, cap styles to restore like new. I forget the URL have to look in my saves. I am sure some here know of them right off. It's something I only deal with in a blue moon so I am not up on the URL sites right off.

Guitar wiring can be weird, it is seeming so simple but also so easy to get wrong or alter the result just doing a generic wire to connection on theory.
You'd be surprised how something simple like which wire on the pickup is the true forward hot to make things in phase. Maddening to wire things up by color only to find out one of your pickups is out of phase with the other. There is a trick to test that which got me a huge argument with a couple of the "experts" here who could not get it was not a "measurement".

I would get the old wiring spec for the guitar and look at some new mods and ideas others have these days.
When I redid a couple of mine I looked around at several valid sources before deciding what to do. I find the often tiny wires on pickup connections to be exasperating to connect and keep a solid as possible weld. I have found a few modern high end pickups connected in a prewire harness by just a couple strains of wire. If your pickups have nice thicker wires great.
Many opt for getting a spool of the older style cloth wiring and heavier gauge the better. Some tricks I learned like to strip small wires of their insulation. Just take a lighter and fire the end of the wire, pull the insulation quickly and presto, clean strip with no wire damage. Do not use a pencil soldering iron, a gun is much better, gets that solder connection good and hot for a shiny good weld, plus attaching grounds on a pot cannot be done with a small pencil.
I use a couple alligator clips or hemostats to hold things. It's a tedious task doing wiring. I am not a DIY guy myself, I try to avoid getting into making kits and things. But I do my own cables and guitar wiring, I am not going to make my own pedal as I know my limitations and what I am good at and what to leave for others. Also do not breath the solder vapors man, you'd be surprised how many are not aware that is toxic.
Working on your own stuff makes you more linked to it in a special way. I love building my own guitars.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
This is DEFINITELY me for like forever!

Upgraded my EFX MKIII to MKIV, simply because the Setlist function is just too good topass on for the next few months - got 8 gigs I think across 2 months, different towns and likely to be different sets due to time differences - the MKIV has thissetlist mode, which is effectively 'virtual banks' . It's amazing.I was gonna get the MKIV later in the year, but I thought why not get it now when it I've actually got a lot of gigs? :D

Additionally the MKIV has the expression pedal able to change it's midi setup per preset, which is perfect for using the same pedal to do Mobius wah one song, then some delay ambience next, then even gain rides on the TC Nova the next song!

The other change I made was swapping theM-1 out for the V-1 as mentioned earlier!
Very nice. Having a Set List mode with a MIDI controller is huge. I didn't realize how much better it was until I got the MFC-101. The reprogrammable expression controller as well. Sounds like the MKIV as a MIDI controller has really come up to speed!

It's great when you feel like your gear is "there". And you got it all on 1 pedal board. I'm "there" too, but I'll probably go back to working on ways to make a much smaller rig around the Stonehead amp for certain kinds of shows.

Last edited by Joe_K; 11th March 2015 at 12:24 AM..
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
A much smaller rig around the Stonehead amp for certain kinds of shows.
Yeah, I feel you there - I think could probably get away with a Stonehead and a Zoom MS-70CDR in the fx loop for some simple gigs, though I'm now spoiled by the instant recall/lack of multi pedal stomps.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
+10 on the Wampler. I remember reading a comment that some player returned one of the Wampler as it was "not amp sounding", which sort of blows my mind as to what they were hearing or how they had it adjusted.
My wife is not a musician but she is cool with my buying all sorts of gear and having some fun with it. What got her was when she said "don't you have enough stuff", I took her to her closet and pointed out if she had enough shoes or purses, then she got it. She knows I look for a quality buy like when she shops for clothes, a good deal is a good deal.
Anyway.

Parts, there are some great parts sources I have seen which sell quality and vintage style parts and the old wiring, cap styles to restore like new. I forget the URL have to look in my saves. I am sure some here know of them right off. It's something I only deal with in a blue moon so I am not up on the URL sites right off.

Guitar wiring can be weird, it is seeming so simple but also so easy to get wrong or alter the result just doing a generic wire to connection on theory.
You'd be surprised how something simple like which wire on the pickup is the true forward hot to make things in phase. Maddening to wire things up by color only to find out one of your pickups is out of phase with the other. There is a trick to test that which got me a huge argument with a couple of the "experts" here who could not get it was not a "measurement".

I would get the old wiring spec for the guitar and look at some new mods and ideas others have these days.
When I redid a couple of mine I looked around at several valid sources before deciding what to do. I find the often tiny wires on pickup connections to be exasperating to connect and keep a solid as possible weld. I have found a few modern high end pickups connected in a prewire harness by just a couple strains of wire. If your pickups have nice thicker wires great.
Many opt for getting a spool of the older style cloth wiring and heavier gauge the better. Some tricks I learned like to strip small wires of their insulation. Just take a lighter and fire the end of the wire, pull the insulation quickly and presto, clean strip with no wire damage. Do not use a pencil soldering iron, a gun is much better, gets that solder connection good and hot for a shiny good weld, plus attaching grounds on a pot cannot be done with a small pencil.
I use a couple alligator clips or hemostats to hold things. It's a tedious task doing wiring. I am not a DIY guy myself, I try to avoid getting into making kits and things. But I do my own cables and guitar wiring, I am not going to make my own pedal as I know my limitations and what I am good at and what to leave for others. Also do not breath the solder vapors man, you'd be surprised how many are not aware that is toxic.
Working on your own stuff makes you more linked to it in a special way. I love building my own guitars.

Sweet! lol, yeah the ladies love there shoes for sure. lol. I'm pretty good wiring my own gear and I have a lot of experience soldering.I guess that's what happens when you grow up with a dad that is an electrician. ha

I think I'm either going to go for the standard or vintage les paul wiring. Just have to think about how I'm going to use the volume control to change the tone.

I'm really going to keep my eye on that new Wampler Plexi. I'll get a pic up of my board for where is is now. I keep changing it. haha.

Thanks for the advice brother.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

The board for now!

This little setup is working well with my low watt amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_3459.jpg  
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Sweet! lol, yeah the ladies love there shoes for sure. lol. I'm pretty good wiring my own gear and I have a lot of experience soldering.I guess that's what happens when you grow up with a dad that is an electrician. ha

I think I'm either going to go for the standard or vintage les paul wiring. Just have to think about how I'm going to use the volume control to change the tone.

I'm really going to keep my eye on that new Wampler Plexi. I'll get a pic up of my board for where is is now. I keep changing it. haha.

Thanks for the advice brother.
I think just about the time I velcro down a new chain I realize I have to move something or I get something new and have to work out where to put it for optimal use. Labor of love I guess.
Guitar wiring can go a lot of directions, you have the newer lo pass high cut tone control thing, the modern wiring like the Jimmy Page LP with all sorts of options and push pull combinations. And the traditional old style which is tried and true.
I find I never much liked or used coil splits or phase switches but I did like the tone control I had that just cut the high end and left the rest. That failed on me and I went back to a traditional design with the caps in place so the tone does not drop off with the volume.
Thanks. Enjoying the conversation.
Old 15th March 2015
Here for the gear

My little rig. Signal flo goes:

Interface > Lovepedal Believe > RetroSonic Phaser > Psionic Audio 3.14 > Psionic Audio Telos/buffer (loop send goes to tuner) > Volcano Volume > XTS Distro

XTS Distro - splits signal to:
Moog Delay,
Wet Reverb,
Dry out > Hartman Flanger > Wampler Latitude Trem.

3 signals > RJM mixer > Interface

I play mono live but when recording I like to send the delay to a second amp for a surprisingly lush stereo sound. I found I like this better than using stereo pedals and summing to mono.

It's a very flexible setup - I can use the mixer like a patchbay and there's an insert on the the interface to add more effects after the Volcano.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard2014-004.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard2014-007.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard2014-008.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard2014-005.jpg  

Last edited by lonzob; 17th March 2015 at 11:19 PM..
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear
Nice.
Interesting you should say that about delays. Players like Satriani have used a wet and dry amp for a long time. I ran stereo delays and reverb for some time mainly for the ping pong thing but after a while it just got old and I went back to just mono in the loop and just a single half stack amp which has always been the best for me. Wish I could afford two of them but not in the cards. The separation thing I feel you are probably right.
Old 16th March 2015
e17
Gear Nut

Reaching the limites of the Diago board I am on and thinking of getting something largert to accomodate my Volume Pedal and a big-muff.

Poly-tune > Bypass loop pedal > Crowther Hotcake > MXR Custom OD > Back into the loop pedal > Hazarai Delay > Artec Delay > Marshall Reverb > Amp.

I also really want to move on from the Hazarai and get the flashback X4 for more delay options.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear
You know chaps if you do not mind a wood board, it is so inexpensive and easy to make a wood board any size even tilt and levels if you like, for next to nothing.

I often make mine out of precuts and 2x2s for braces I do not have to even cut. I use ebony stain instead of paint as Velcro will come off the stain without residue or taking the finish off as well. And it looks very nice.

I use a large board that no one makes and if they did it would cost a small fortune.
Mine cost me like <$40 for everything.
Also so strong made on a tilt which I prefer with mid board bracing to the floor so strong you can stand on it as it is comparable with a board sitting on the floor.
Been into doing this for several years now and could not be more pleased. Beats buying expensive name boards and running out of room, or worse having to compensate choice of pedals for room.

The figured quality 3/4" birch ply is very nice looking and strong, some black ebony stain and you are good to go. I am making some changes on my mine right now so i do not have a new pic. But 4' x 2' with an upper level shelf. Sure it's large but I have my entire rig on there including guitar synth and DR880 drum machine when I use it. I can carry it myself but so easy to handle with a buddy.

For me I want to put my pedals in the order I want without having to mount them or turn them to fit the board, wood has its design versatility. And mine looks pro.
Here's a couple older older pics, I have improved the shelf level extending it out to the full length. Huge but holds everything I have and leaves plenty of expansion.

You can always drill holes to hide cables but mine are so short it is not an issue.

Last edited by darkhorse; 17th March 2015 at 04:32 PM..
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
You know chaps if you do not mind a wood board, it is so inexpensive and easy to make a wood board any size even tilt and levels if you like, for next to nothing.
That is sweet and would be something I'd like to have as a 'studio' board.

For gigging wood is just too heavy for me with all the pedals I have, hence the Aclam one I got...

I suppose it would be different if I could drive and had wheels, but I need to carry my board and guitar most gigs!
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear
I can actually carry mine loaded but it is unweldy and bulky anyone grabbing the other side as it is just an easy thing. If you're one of those players who likes a small easy board for setups and haul then that limits what you are able to do. I have a guitar synth rig which just makes things larger than normal and I am never happy with just one drive and minimum pedals. Nice thing about wood is it is customizable to any size. As far as heavy, many of the metal boards are not lite if they are of any size. Some of the trailer trash and pro boards are monsters.
If you need a small board for easy setup and haul then you do what you have to do. That is why a lot of players these days are trying to get by with multi units.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Active Pedal Volume Control

Hi folks,

As I'm going back to a pedalboard only (well, pedalboard + dual channel amp that is) solution, I seem to be running into a sort of a problem.
Two out of the three amps I'm regularly using don't have a master volume (they do have FX loops, though).
So far I've been using a TC G-Force as the last thing in my signal chain - or, for very small gigs, a Boss GT-10 (which is essentially doing the same, just with less quality). I always used their output volume knobs to adjust my master volume on the two amps without their own master (namely a Laney LC50 and a Fender "The Twin", the red knob model). That's working just fine.

So, now that I'll be going back to a pedalboard only solution (and a "GT-10 free" one at that), that option won't exist anymore.
I'm not exactly sure what will finally find its way onto the board, but I'm already 100% positive that none of the used things will be always on and have its output volume.

In order to raise or lower the volume with just the preamps of the amps, I will run into some problems:
- I'll have to change at least two volumes to adjust the master level (and even more should I be using my little rack with two more preamps and a dedicated looper/switcher in it).
- I'd have to change the threshold of the noise gate I'm using each time (as it sits in the FX loop, hence behind the preamp(s)).
- I could be running into some problems with some of the pedals in the FX loop, as some of them (namely the noise gate and an EQ that I plan to use) don't like "full" line level too much. They seem to operate a lot better with lower line levels (let's say somewhere between instrument and line level).

With my current solution(s) all this is not an issue at all. I'm setting the preamp levels just once and use the output volume of the TC/Boss for my final level.

Now I need a replacement for just that functionality. Should be pretty much a piece of cake. I'd even build a passive volume control myself, but as this one has to have a boost function, too, I'd be lost in terms of DIY.

Is there anything doing what I need? Or a really easy circuit for the matter?
As said, all this thing needs to do is to cut/boost volume neutrally while accepting something between instrument and line level as its input.

Thanks in advance.

- Sascha
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Nut
Check it out.

Old 19th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Hi folks,

As I'm going back to a pedalboard only (well, pedalboard + dual channel amp that is) solution, I seem to be running into a sort of a problem.
Two out of the three amps I'm regularly using don't have a master volume (they do have FX loops, though).
So far I've been using a TC G-Force as the last thing in my signal chain - or, for very small gigs, a Boss GT-10 (which is essentially doing the same, just with less quality). I always used their output volume knobs to adjust my master volume on the two amps without their own master (namely a Laney LC50 and a Fender "The Twin", the red knob model). That's working just fine.

So, now that I'll be going back to a pedalboard only solution (and a "GT-10 free" one at that), that option won't exist anymore.
I'm not exactly sure what will finally find its way onto the board, but I'm already 100% positive that none of the used things will be always on and have its output volume.

In order to raise or lower the volume with just the preamps of the amps, I will run into some problems:
- I'll have to change at least two volumes to adjust the master level (and even more should I be using my little rack with two more preamps and a dedicated looper/switcher in it).
- I'd have to change the threshold of the noise gate I'm using each time (as it sits in the FX loop, hence behind the preamp(s)).
- I could be running into some problems with some of the pedals in the FX loop, as some of them (namely the noise gate and an EQ that I plan to use) don't like "full" line level too much. They seem to operate a lot better with lower line levels (let's say somewhere between instrument and line level).

With my current solution(s) all this is not an issue at all. I'm setting the preamp levels just once and use the output volume of the TC/Boss for my final level.

Now I need a replacement for just that functionality. Should be pretty much a piece of cake. I'd even build a passive volume control myself, but as this one has to have a boost function, too, I'd be lost in terms of DIY.

As said, all this thing needs to do is to cut/boost volume neutrally while accepting something between instrument and line level as its input.

Thanks in advance.

- Sascha
Check out the Sound Sculpture Volume box. You can see it in my post above. It Does volume, boost, can be triggered by expression pedal or midi. You can even trigger different volume settings via midi cc. Multiple boxes can be linked together for stereo/multi-amp setups. And no pots to suck tone.
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

- Sascha
Seems a little confusing but it seems like volume pedals would be able to control the overall amp levels plugged into the amp loop. A stereo one could do two at once. Might be possible to rig a split feed and control more, never tried such a thing. Other than that I am not totally sure on the usage thing.
I am saying loop because if you do amp-in there is still the signal going from the preamps into the power amp so probably more noisier than a loop cut before the power amp pretty much like what you were doing with the other units.
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

lonzob and darkhorse, thanks for the replies.

Anyhow, the Volcano box doesn't seem to have an active boost, which is what I need. And I seriously don't even remotely need any of the other functions at all.

Not sure what was so tough to understand (is it a language thing? English isn't my native language...), but all I really need is something to give me master volume alike functions for non master volume amps. Has to accept anything from instrument to line level on the input and be able to cut the level (to zero, if desired) and boost it (I could perhaps find out how much boost it should be able to do in terms of dBs), all with one single pot. Really, exactly what you'd do with a master volume. And exactly what pretty much each and every multi FX unit is able to do (just that I won't use any of these anymore).

- Sascha
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure what was so tough to understand (is it a language thing? English isn't my native language...), but all I really need is something to give me master volume alike functions for non master volume amps. Has to accept anything from instrument to line level on the input and be able to cut the level (to zero, if desired) and boost it (I could perhaps find out how much boost it should be able to do in terms of dBs), all with one single pot. Really, exactly what you'd do with a master volume. And exactly what pretty much each and every multi FX unit is able to do (just that I won't use any of these anymore).

- Sascha
Isn't a master volume just a cut? Can you run your amp flat out and put a passive volume attenuator there at the end of the fx loop?

Like this:
EHX.com | Signal Pad - Passive Attenuator | Electro-Harmonix

(I don't know what signals that can accept, you'd have to check)

I've thought about doing that myself as I also use external preamps and though my main amp has a master volume, some of my amps do not. It's a cheap thing to try anyway. I already have a more expensive solution ... a Strymon Deco. It's also how I do a stereo spread. It's total overkill though for a one amp setup, but since I already have it I figure I might as well use it.

If you really must have a boost/cut (unity at noon?) in a single knob pedal, I don't know any off the top of my head, but I do have a boost on the right side of my Gristle King pedal which works this way. I think it was a modification though and not standard. You could always ask the designer if he'd do a modification for you of one of his boost pedals.

T Jauernig Handmade Pedals

Another option, which I also have, is an Xotic RC Booster:

RC Booster - Effects

Run the gain at minimum and it is a very clean boost. Maybe the two shelving EQ's will also help tweak the presence and bass for whatever stage you are on.
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another option, which I also have, is an Xotic RC Booster:

RC Booster - Effects

Run the gain at minimum and it is a very clean boost. Maybe the two shelving EQ's will also help tweak the presence and bass for whatever stage you are on.
I actually just tried this out as a master volume for one of my amps along with my preamps and it worked great. The EQ was handy as well. My main is an AC-30 that has a master volume and a tone cut, so this allowed me to dial in a similar response on a different amp. Pretty handy. Since the bands are shelving, works as a kind of Presence and Fullness controls.

Also, you could look at EQ pedals for a similar kind of thing. I got the RC Booster for about $100 used, I think they run around $160 new.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi,

Quote:
Isn't a master volume just a cut? Can you run your amp flat out and put a passive volume attenuator there at the end of the fx loop?
Yeah, basically a master volume is just a cut. But then, amps with master volume sort of "expect" a kinda lower level to arrive at their power stages input than those without master volume. Don't know why and whatever, but from my tests, that seems to be the case.
Now, I could just raise the volume of all preamps I'm using generally and then do a cut just before the signal runs into the return. I could build that myself in a heartbeat (I mean, all you need is a quality pot and a little box to put it in). Would be a dream.

Just that for some reasons things don't work too well that way.
I already do have two devices that I'd like to run in the FX loop of my future setup that don't work too well. Namely an older Ibanez graphic EQ and a Rocktron gate (not a Hush). The EQ starts to sound, hm, not exactly distorting but at least "unclear" at some level (a level that I'd defenitely need sometimes), and the noise gate isn't capable of properly dealing with maximum preamp level anymore, either (doesn't distort but simply doesn't close properly anymore).
As I am not "Mr. I-don'-care-about-what-things-cost", I don't exactly want to throw these two out and replace them, I also expect some other pedals that I may use to have similar problems.

Regarding the RC Booster: Interesting that it worked for you. Because I have tried it out aleady and it didn't work for me. I had to set the preamp out level pretty low to not have it add any own drive (which I defenitely don't want) and then there wasn't enough boost capacity to bring up the level back enough. Has been the same with another booster I tried (don't remember the name, it's been a while).
And all that even if both the Fender and the Laney offer different general FX loop levels to chose from, so basically pedals should work well.
Not sure whether I should just give some more of such devices a try.
Otherwise I may just ask an experienced electronic dude to build me something. Basically the materials needed should cost around 10 Euros or so.

Thanks a lot for the reply anyway, I might even re-try the RC Booster. It's been a while so perhaps I don't remember clear enough what it exactly was that didn't work too well (let alone that I'd rather use it for something else, I find it to be extremely expensive - street price is 219 Euros over here!).

Cheers
Sascha
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply anyway, I might even re-try the RC Booster. It's been a while so perhaps I don't remember clear enough what it exactly was that didn't work too well (let alone that I'd rather use it for something else, I find it to be extremely expensive - street price is 219 Euros over here!).

Cheers
Sascha
I'm actually remembering now why I got the RC Booster in the first place. I had a preamp that I couldn't dial the boominess out of, so I wanted something that had a bit of EQ either before or after that preamp (and not any of the other preamps). I initially tried the RC Booster after the preamp (and before any of the time domain effects) and it was awful. I can't remember exactly why, but it wrecked something with the tone. I ended up putting it before the preamp which worked fine, and eventually I made my own $20 HPF to put before the preamp and that freed up the RC Booster for other things.

What is interesting now though is I just put the RC Booster at the very end of my fx chain (after reverb) running direct into the power section, so it impacts the volume and tone of everything. In this configuration, it works great. Maybe it's a matter of what is before or after the RC Booster and what the nominal levels are. I do know that directly after the preamp it was a hotter signal going into the RC Booster ... maybe it just wasn't handling that signal well?

Anyway, I'm now looking at including the RC Booster on my board in the final position for those times I might need to hook into a non-master volume amp. It was always a struggle because I'd have to adjust every one of my 5 preamps (just like you are saying).
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is interesting now though is I just put the RC Booster at the very end of my fx chain (after reverb) running direct into the power section, so it impacts the volume and tone of everything. In this configuration, it works great. Maybe it's a matter of what is before or after the RC Booster and what the nominal levels are. I do know that directly after the preamp it was a hotter signal going into the RC Booster ... maybe it just wasn't handling that signal well?
Interesting as it kind of explains/confirms my experiences.
Could that possibly be an impedance thing as well?
I know a little about how impedances (and hence buffers, too) can have quite an impact on instrument signals but never thought about things when it comes to line levels in FX loops...
Maybe someone of the more technically challenged folks would know that.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm now looking at including the RC Booster on my board in the final position for those times I might need to hook into a non-master volume amp. It was always a struggle because I'd have to adjust every one of my 5 preamps (just like you are saying).
Yeah, dealing with multiple preamps and non master volume amps is a true pain. Hence my original question.
I do still think that, even if it might work quite well in some other situations, the RC is made to be used in front of whatever preamps/drives. And IMO it's quite great as an "almost always on" device with just a little dirt added for pretty much any clean and crunchy sounds (gets quite more unnoticed once you run it into something with more drive - obviously).

I will probably do a cheap trick test by simple running a little mixer as the last device in my signal chain. In case that turns out to work well (it actually should, apart from some additional noise being added as I only have a very old Behringer to fool around with), I'll think about getting something along those lines. Could even be that an additional master EQ would be a nice thing to have sometimes (I use the one on my Boogie MkIV as a master EQ quite a bit to adjust the system with different cabs, in different locations, etc.).

-----

Fwiw, as you brought up the AMT JFET preamp pedals, can you tell anything about how the F1 is working? I'm seriously considering to finally switch over to a system that would work with just a clean amp (unless I'm using my Boogie, which is rare these days...). Ideally, when travelling with just my pedalboard, I'd simply use either a clean amp, but in case it's, say, a Marshall-alike thingy (or not really clean for the matter), I'd rather pass the preamp and run straight into the power amp. For such purposes I'd need a very clean preamp (as the last thing of my chain) and the footprint of the AMT pedals seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered. Does the F1 stay completely clean if you wish so? And is it capable to be as, hm, "neutral" as, say, a Twin?

-----

And fwiw #2 , to all of those reading: What are your best amp experiences with pedalboards running straight into a clean amp?
My main problem for the last years has always been to have enough headroom for clean sounds.
Yes, I can use my Twin and it's working quite well. But damn, that thing is just too heavy. And while I need clean headroom a plenty, I don't need *that* much. Same goes for the Boogie. With the case (which I prefer to use because the pots are really weak, I've already had two broken ones because of transports) it's heavier than quite some combos. Plus I need to carry an extra cab.
So I'm still searching for a reasonably weighted 1x12 combo with plenty of clean headroom and a sound that would accept pretty much any pedals - as said, the Twin is doing quite well, but apart from it being so damn heavy, it also colors the sound into a direction that isn't the best for Masrhall-alike overdrive sounds (I already ditched the speakers in favour of a V30 / Peavey Sheffield combination, which helped a lot but still isn't ideal).

Cheers,
Sascha
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

And fwiw again: I'm really jealous of all you US folks. The market for pedals over there seems to be a LOT better. Not only that you're paying a freaking premium for US made pedals over here (even considering taxes and whatever duties, the differences in price are staggering), but the 2nd hand market is just not great here, either.
As we just talked about the RC Booster: There's not a single used one on german ebay and it's 219 Euros street price in every shop. I simply find that to be quite too much.
Doesn't make you wonder why people are quite into clones (be it factory ones or DIY kits) over here.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fwiw, as you brought up the AMT JFET preamp pedals, can you tell anything about how the F1 is working? I'm seriously considering to finally switch over to a system that would work with just a clean amp (unless I'm using my Boogie, which is rare these days...). Ideally, when travelling with just my pedalboard, I'd simply use either a clean amp, but in case it's, say, a Marshall-alike thingy (or not really clean for the matter), I'd rather pass the preamp and run straight into the power amp. For such purposes I'd need a very clean preamp (as the last thing of my chain) and the footprint of the AMT pedals seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered. Does the F1 stay completely clean if you wish so? And is it capable to be as, hm, "neutral" as, say, a Twin?
I've never used the F1, but I'm pretty sure the clean mode of the version 2 pedals is based on the F1 (just without the EQ adjustments) and I like the way those sound. The V1 I do have, and it's quite capable of staying clean, I don't imagine the F1 would be any different just a matter if you like Vox or Fender type cleans.

Gollumsloveslave uses the V1 the way you describe. I don't use mine like that, I switch between all the different preamps to create multi-channel-style head, all running directly to the power amp in a mutually exclusive fashion.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
As Joe_K says, I'm running the V-1 in exactly that way at the end of my board, and it's just brilliant. I also have the F-1 and it is great as well, but I just prefer the clean from the V-1 (never really been a Fender amp guy). Also the V-1 on average took my pedals better than the F-1, but that is a subjective thing - nothing about the pedals through the F-1 was bad or off, I just preferred the V-1

One other thing I can say is that as emulations go these AMT are really on the money, the V-1 is so close to my Vox AC30 it's uncanny. I've never had a Fender Twin, but from what I've listened to online, the F-1 is very close to a Twin as well - certainly my mate who used to have a Twin is very impressed.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
lonzob and darkhorse, thanks for the replies.

Anyhow, the Volcano box doesn't seem to have an active boost, which is what I need. And I seriously don't even remotely need any of the other functions at all.

- Sascha
Master volume controls the input into the power tube/amp section, more master volume is essentially more power tube. Far as adding one into an amp, that is above my pay grade. The usual school of thought on a master volume is more clean tone more master less channel vol, more high gain, master roll back and channel volume up.
Seems like an end of chain last pedal in the amp loop volume pedal would act the same without dire surgery. Other than that, bests me.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm actually remembering now why I got the RC Booster in the first place. I had a preamp that I couldn't dial the boominess out of, so I wanted something that had a bit of EQ either before or after that preamp (and not any of the other preamps). I initially tried the RC Booster after the preamp (and before any of the time domain effects) and it was awful. I can't remember exactly why, but it wrecked something with the tone. I ended up putting it before the preamp which worked fine, and eventually I made my own $20 HPF to put before the preamp and that freed up the RC Booster for other things.

Some amp loops are line level not instrument/pedal level. Line level is like +3db up from instrument/pedal level. Most delays and reverbs can handle any loop, other pedals maybe not.
A boost in front of other drives or the amp preamp drives them harder, tightens and articulates the gain structure better. After functions as a volume level boost for like a solo to come over the normal volume level. The best ones I have seen for "after" use is Radial, the PB1 and Elevator are extremely high quality class A clean boosts and quality buffer. They also work pre but can handle loop work as well. The Xotic BB, RC, AC pedals are more designed for amp-in use.
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seems like an end of chain last pedal in the amp loop volume pedal would act the same without dire surgery. Other than that, bests me.
Two things:

- I use a volume pedal for swells and such. Defenitely not as a master volume. Doesn't make much sense, either, as a volume pedal is something you actually use while playing whereas a master volume is, well, more or less a "set and forget" thing that you occasionally may readjust (should your overall volume be too much or not much enough). Defenitely nothing you want to accidentally alter by moving your volume pedal too far up (or not up enough).

- As I can't run the full possible level of my preamp out in the FX loop (for the reasons described above), I'm losing some overall possible level there. Hence I need something to recover that level. If I could run the full level from my preamps, it'd be all fine - but I can't (not even if i set the global loop level to -4dB).

Cheers
Sascha
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some amp loops are line level not instrument/pedal level. Line level is like +3db up from instrument/pedal level. Most delays and reverbs can handle any loop, other pedals maybe not.
Sorry, that's not exactly true. You will usually find -4dB for instrument level and +10dB for line level. My Laney (unfortunately) offers 0dB and +10dB, hence, for some pedals even 0dB is too high once I really crank the preamp levels.

-----

gollumsluvslave and Joe_K: Thanks for the info on the AMT pedals. Surely sounds promising. I wish I could easily check the F model out - but as said, we're in pedal stoneage over here...

- Sascha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search