The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
My new Edition to the Family just shipped

Michael Helweg is a genius and a fine craftsman
Wow! That's a very nice setup, clean and organized!
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs View Post
Do you play live with that exact setup?
Not gigging these days but I have had similar dual rigs. I do not care how long it takes to set up or tear down. I am after killer sounds. By simply unplugging key cable runs and the power section it is more movable than you might think. I can do it myself but it is nice to have someone help carry in the bulky stuff.
I have never been a plug and play guitarist minimizing and cutting down my rig for the sake of quick setup and packout.
Last band we worked as a group to haul in everyone's rig and visa versa. We would always have a few helpers and hangers on but no paid roadies.
When I was in my last band I was running a half stack std guitar pedalboard and 2 twins stereo synth rig. I wish I could have had the chance to get the sounds on record as they were rather unique and extremely heavy. Some it got captured on the rehearsal room recording monitor rig.
As with most bands they are short lived, usually go nowhere, and I am too old to have delusions of grandeur. This is a portion of my sound room studio rig. I am just having fun playing and plan to start building up my recording side of things later this year to further the fun playing. Seems like a lark to put some stuff on the web or get into doing better reviews and demos.
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

New Preamp Pedal Based Rig

My new board designed to cut down from using 2 amp at gigs. One amp and 4 preamps that I switch between. 3 on the board: AC-30 (crunch), Orange (Vintage Distirtion), EVH (High Gain) and the Vox clean channel which I've made switchable like the rest. In front of those I have a couple options for boost (clean boost, dirty boost, light OD) and comp. So much space left, but it's doing all I need (and then some).

The control for the board happens via a Fractal Audio MFC and includes an expression pedal.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-newpedalsuntitled-1.jpg  
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
My new board designed to cut down from using 2 amp at gigs. One amp and 4 preamps that I switch between. 3 on the board: AC-30 (crunch), Orange (Vintage Distirtion), EVH (High Gain) and the Vox clean channel which I've made switchable like the rest. In front of those I have a couple options for boost (clean boost, dirty boost, light OD) and comp. The control for the board happens via a Fractal Audio MFC and includes an expression pedal.
Looks good...... with spaces for the Deco and a couple of H9's
Merry X'mas !!!
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
Looks good...... with spaces for the Deco and a couple of H9's
Merry X'mas !!!
Merry Xmas! I'd love to get a second H9 (core) just because of the amazing value of already having the Max and sharing algorithms .. but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I need it for. Not unless the Strymons were gone. I really like having the Strymon units and the H9. Each of them has their strengths. But I've thought what it would by like running all H9s for time domain and modulation fx as you are doing.

I'm thinking the space might be served by adding a small power amp. Something like the Hotone 5w or an EXH 44 Magnum. Something to have as backup or to make having just the board with me possible. Have any experience with anything like that? I'm looking to see what is out there tonight, having only found those 2 options.
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Merry Xmas! I'd love to get a second H9 (core) just because of the amazing value of already having the Max and sharing algorithms .. but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I need it for. Not unless the Strymons were gone. I really like having the Strymon units and the H9. Each of them has their strengths. But I've thought what it would by like running all H9s for time domain and modulation fx as you are doing.

I'm thinking the space might be served by adding a small power amp. Something like the Hotone 5w or an EXH 44 Magnum. Something to have as backup or to make having just the board with me possible. Have any experience with anything like that? I'm looking to see what is out there tonight, having only found those 2 options.
Looks like you are pretty much set.
Yeah, it was bit of an indulgence for me, making up for the years I never bought a pedal.
The new year is for fine tuning and midifying . I don't need a board preprogrammed for selecting presets as I don't gig or play live, its all studio stuff either going through the Kemp or DI.
Might do an occasional miked amp recording, so I'm no good for suggesting any live setups.
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
Looks like you are pretty much set.
Yeah, it was bit of an indulgence for me, making up for the years I never bought a pedal.
The new year is for fine tuning and midifying .
I hear ya. I went for over a decade with just my guitar, amp and a quadraverb. I went a little nuts when the flood gates opened. (but things had advanced so much, I just had to find what it all offered).

MIDIfying the H9s is a bit of a trick (if you want more than patch changes). Some things I can't make work and then I'm wondering stuff like, "Do I need to reboot?" A recent example of this was using an expression pedal over MIDI to control the analog expression input. Still didn't figure out what I must be doing wrong (the analog expression pedal works no problem and the MIDI expression signal works with my other devices, so I'm a bit stumped. I'm rarely stumped with MIDI ... I'm a programmer and I've been using MIDI extensively since the early 90s.).

I'd say if the H9 has one weakness it would be the lag time in loading some algorithms during a patch change. There is a split second between unloading and loading the new sound, and sometimes you hear a glitch (I notice it most on pitch shifting algos, like the Synthonizer). Live, I plan out certain changes so that the H9 is ready in bypass mode (there is no glitch coming in from bypass). With 3 H9's I bet I could work around it.

Did my first show last night with the new board and the preamps. It was great. I liked what I had going before with certain ODs (BB, BB+, Gristle King, OCD), but the preamps have better dynamic response and clear up that last bit of mush. I'd say the mush with the old pedals was minimal, more noticeable with A/B comparisons, but it is there. It's like a slightly compressed, wooly kind of sound that disappears when using only the preamps.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

The H9 is an interesting concept. I've owned the Timefactor (sold it) and the Pitchfactor (still have it). If I were to buy an Eventide now I'd def go with the H9. I wonder if it will be compatible with possible future Factor pedals?
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

Short talk about the changes to my board with the JFET Preamps and a VERY long audio demonstration:

Old 4th February 2015
Gear Nut

Just fooling around with the little office desk rig

Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
My new Edition to the Family just shipped

Michael Helweg is a genius and a fine craftsman
Outstanding! Helweg and Salvage Custom are the top two pedalboard makers out there - works of art!

Wish I could afford one!!!
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Short talk about the changes to my board with the JFET Preamps and a VERY long audio demonstration:

Bitchin' Eventide set!
Old 9th February 2015
Call me antiquated.

https://flic.kr/p/p86yV1

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 9th February 2015 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: damned links...
Old 9th February 2015
Here for the gear

Road 909 pedalboard

http://http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/752469IMG0115edit1.jpg

... I play in a prog rock band, I reallly use all this pedals.

Have a nice day !!
Old 9th February 2015
Lives for gear

This is my current gigging pedalboard. Always change in pedals but they all have a purpose. Front of amp is wireless (sometimes used, sometimes not), Morley pedal (seems to be the best I've used so far with was), EHX pitch fork (that's a fun pedal!), Boss OD-3 for overdrives, MXR prime distortion for brown sound on a clean channel and then off to front of amp. The other expression pedal controls the DelayLab mix levels and if I use a Mesa Boogie Mini rectifier, the channel switch fits in perfectly at this point, close to the distortion units.

Then in effect send return I have Vox DelayLab (still laughing to the bank for this $79 GC brand-new purchase), Boss BF-2 and CE-2 flanger/chorus running in 12V mode for classic sound. The Zoom MS-50G is at the end for tuning, possibly wacko effects and in case amp breaks down, as amp sim into PA.

Underneath is a PedalTrain PP2+ with aux power output for other purposes if needed.

Pretty much a typical gigging guitar player pedalboard that needs unexpected flexibility from song to song.
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
EHX pitch fork (that's a fun pedal!)
I'm receiving mine in a few days. Can't wait to check it out. I want it mostly to be able to detune and leave my guitars set up for standard, instead of having to transpose trickier parts that rely on open strings or carry guitars dedicated to lower tunings. It was that or the Drop pedal, but this one seems like it has more going for it.
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm receiving mine in a few days. Can't wait to check it out. I want it mostly to be able to detune and leave my guitars set up for standard, instead of having to transpose trickier parts that rely on open strings or carry guitars dedicated to lower tunings. It was that or the Drop pedal, but this one seems like it has more going for it.
Yes, drop tuning works amazingly well, polyphonically, to a certain point where let's say Bb tuning is somewhat weird low. I use it in combination with the Mini Rectifier's dirt channel and it makes it possible me to play low-end alt metal guitar licks without the need to drag a lot of guitars around. The latch mode is also nice as I really don't need an expression pedal for pitch up or down sweeps.

... and then there's normal oct mode like When Doves Cry solos and Steve Vai odd chord structures, pitch based chorus and much more.. Fun pedal.
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear
Swapped out my old PT2 for a new modular board from Aclam - which is awesome so far!

Flow is:-
Guitar -> Strymon Mobius (Pre)
Mobius (Pre) -> EFX In A
EFX Loop 1 -> SP Comp
EFX Loop 2 -> EP Boost
EFX Loop 3 -> SL Drive
EFX Loop 4 -> Suhr Riot
EFX Loop 5 -> Blackstar LT Metal
EFX Loop 6 -> Wampler Leviathan Fuzz
EFX Out B -> TC Nova Drive
TC Nova Drive -> Mobius (Post)
Mobius (Post) -> Strymon Timeline
Timeline -> Strymon Big Sky
Big Sky -> MXR CAE MC401 Boost/Line Driver
MC401 -> Digitech Jamman Solo XT
Solo XT -> AMT M-1 Preamp

EFX Tuner Out -> Hotone Skyline Tuner

There is also a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru undeneath serving up the 3 Strymon and TC Nova which avoids daisy chaining. All powered by two Voodoo Labs 4x4 power supplies and wired with the tremendous Evidence Audio SIS solderless cables - these are highly recommended to people that struggle with soldering.

Aclam stuff can be found here - they also have two other board ranges in addition to the Modular one I have - Smart Track and Evo Track
Modular Track - Aclam Guitars

I've documented this recent pedalboard over at the TGP forums here for anyone interested in how the modules work:-
NGD: Aclam Modular Pedalboard - The Gear Page

Last edited by gollumsluvslave; 12th February 2015 at 01:40 PM..
Old 17th February 2015
Here for the gear

Well here's my first pedal board after just getting one (a PT1), having played for 20+yrs and owning over 30 pedals lol...
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...9270&source=56
Old 17th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fever View Post
Well here's my first pedal board after just getting one (a PT1), having played for 20+yrs and owning over 30 pedals lol...
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...9270&source=56
Link does not work.
Just paste the URL of the pic with the yellow button IMG insert and presto, pictures.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Head

Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-10989144_10153067957403349_5010607710062079144_n.jpg  
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post

Flow is:-
Guitar -> Strymon Mobius (Pre)
Mobius (Pre) -> EFX In A
EFX Loop 1 -> SP Comp
EFX Loop 2 -> EP Boost
EFX Loop 3 -> SL Drive
EFX Loop 4 -> Suhr Riot
EFX Loop 5 -> Blackstar LT Metal
EFX Loop 6 -> Wampler Leviathan Fuzz
EFX Out B -> TC Nova Drive
TC Nova Drive -> Mobius (Post)
Mobius (Post) -> Strymon Timeline
Timeline -> Strymon Big Sky
Big Sky -> MXR CAE MC401 Boost/Line Driver
MC401 -> Digitech Jamman Solo XT
Solo XT -> AMT M-1 Preamp
I see you are using the AMT M1 last and its gain is low. Are you using this as a preamp out to a power amp, or as a direct to console device with its own CabSim?
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I see you are using the AMT M1 last and its gain is low. Are you using this as a preamp out to a power amp, or as a direct to console device with its own CabSim?
Great question!

My band has recently moved to an IEM rehearsal setup in an effort to both protect our ears, hear mistakes easier and generally get better as a band.

To trial this out, I picked up a Jamhub on cheap on ebay to see how we took to the setup, and so far it is working great.

My initial problems were a disatisfaction with my direct sound - I was using the Cab Emulator output of my Blackstar Stage HT-60 into the Jamhub, and really didn't like my sound. The Cab Filter on my BigSky was better than the Blackstar, but it is just a cab sim, not a preamp.

So I bought the AMT M-1 on ebay (£45) to see how it would fare - AMT pedals are 'under the radar' but there were enough good reports on TGP, and youtube videos (Burgs AMT vids are great, check them out!) for me to take a punt.

My rationale was that I could use the M-1 with cab sim for Jamhub rehearsals, and then for most gigs, use the normal output into the FX Return of whatever amp I'm using, and have a pretty consistent setup. If I have to play a gig through an amp with no FX loop, then I would just bypass the M-1.

So far this is working brilliant, but as you observed, I have to run the M-1 at quite a low gain to get a usable clean sound - it's just starting to break up, which actually works out great for what I need. The M-1 does a fantastic JCM-800 sound when cranked though - best I've heard!

I was so impressed with the M-1, that I subsequently bought the V-1 (Vox AC30) and F-1 (Fender Twin) to give me some more flavours to experiment with. The V-1 is UNCANNY in it's similarity with my AC30, both in feel and tone, and how it responds to pedals before it. I don't have a Fender amp, but the other guitarist in my band was very impressed with the F-1.

I'm currently using the M-1, and the main reason for this is the Blackstar LT-Metal -> M-1 low gain is THE BEST higain sound I've ever had to date; I flipped the Wampler Triple Wreck for the Blackstar mostly based on headroom/noise concerns (I could get the Blackstar very close to the Wreck), now with the M-1 I don't regret that choice one bit.

These AMT preamps are little gems in the rough! Anyone running direct/ IEM setups especially, check them out!!
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
These AMT preamps are little gems in the rough! Anyone running direct/ IEM setups especially, check them out!!
Preaching to the choir, LOL. I few posts up and you'll see I'm all about the AMT preamps. Switching between the V1, O2, C2 and P2 running into AC-30 power section (I also had the M1, but it wasn't for me.). Favorite all around is the C2 for dirt and V1 for clean/clean crunch, but I like them all. I've also cast aside the OD pedals I once relied upon (though I've kept them in case they are handy in the future or in other rigs ... but I much prefer using just the preamps now for my live rig).

The reason I was curious about your M1 to begin with was because I was going to suggest the V1 if you were using the M1 the way I thought you were.

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Preaching to the choir, LOL. I few posts up and you'll see I'm all about the AMT preamps. Switching between the V1, O2, C2 and P2 running into AC-30 power section (I also had the M1, but it wasn't for me.). Favorite all around is the C2 for dirt and V1 for clean/clean crunch, but I like them all. I've also cast aside the OD pedals I once relied upon (though I've kept them in case they are handy in the future or in other rigs ... but I much prefer using just the preamps now for my live rig).

The reason I was curious about your M1 to begin with was because I was going to suggest the V1 if you were using the M1 the way I thought you were.

Cheers!
Cool, see the board a few posts up now, very nice!!

I was actually thinking whether the higain Legend II preamps - R2, S2, P2, D2 etc might kick my Blackstar LT-Metal (and others?) off my board.

I see from the video you use the 3 preamps into the Disaster Area switcher (DPC-5?)

Very nice tones, P2 sounds very cool - would like to do a shootout of the P2/R2 and D2 - not really looked at the C2 though!

As you can see I've got a Musicomlab switcher, and think I'd be able to set up a something similar easily enough (although I can't always rely on having my own amp for gigs, so the clean channel would be the F-1 likely)

My only concern going down this route would be how to still use the cabinet emulation for each 'channel' in my rehearsal IEM setup - the V1 and F1 both have a switch which is great, but the Legend 2 series have separate outputs...

I'm very interested in exactly how you have this setup wired up - I'm assuming you must use some kind of ABY switcher to route between the Vox power amp input (V1,O2, P2) and the Vox AC30 clean channel input??

I'm also assuming that you have the V1,O2,P2 in the DPC loops using the 'preamp out' output? Again, not being able to always guarantee my own amp, I may have the possibility at times of having to use an amp that has no FX Loop (therefore no power amp in). From what I understand of the Legend 2 series,all the preamps should use the 'drive out' output when going in to the front of an amp - which would mean potentially changing connections on a tight board, which the Musicomlab setup is designed to completely avoid!!

My thinking on this would be that I would use each preamp in 'drive out' mode, with a final preamp going into the power amp like I have now - however I think this would mean that I wouldn't get the 'best' out of each pedal - they would each get the tone of that final preamp (e.g.M-1) and not their own.

I suppose I might be getting too hung upon them being 'amps', so I'm thinking of them all being at the end of my chain, which is quite different to where my current dirt pedals are.

Another complication on my board is I use the Mobius Pre/Post feature a fair bit - how do you factor that into these pedals?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:

i've never been a guy for big fancy rigs where terms like "preamp", "power amp", etc. are used individually or where switchers come into play-- reminds me too much of 80's cheese--, but i was thoroughly impressed by your rig demo and it really got me thinking...

i play into a one channel ac-30 type amp, but have always found my dirty sounds to be lacking; i've always set the amp clean and tried to get my desired flavour of dirt via pedals- sadly, to no avail. this whole system you've got with the amt preamp pedals has me wanting to try something similar, but i've got a few questions (and pardon me if they're stupid- i'm extremely tech dumb):

how do i run the pedals as preamps into just the power section of my amp?

what's the difference between doing this and using them as standard distortion boxes in front of my amp?

when you say you externalized your ac-30's clean channel, what do you mean?

my interpretation of what you're doing is that you're using the amt's as distortion pedals in front of the amp (while the amp is run clean) and using the looper/switcher to switch between each flavour, but then i get lost when you said you run them just as preamps, yet they seem to do the jobs of overdrive/distortion pedals?

really interested to learn more about this in-depth. great system!
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post

my interpretation of what you're doing is that you're using the amt's as distortion pedals in front of the amp (while the amp is run clean) and using the looper/switcher to switch between each flavour, but then i get lost when you said you run them just as preamps, yet they seem to do the jobs of overdrive/distortion pedals?

really interested to learn more about this in-depth. great system!
I'm sure Joe K will chine in, but I have experience with this as well....To "externalize" and amp's preamp section, you treat it as it's own "pedal" with the in being the amp's front "input" and the out being the FX loop send of the amp. Then you have the power section of the amp, which is accessed with the FX return being the power amp input.

So each pedal is a "preamp" which can be switched directly into the amp's FX return/power amp in, and the amp's preamp can be treated the same way, as mentioned above.

This can be done with any amp that has an FX send/return.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, see the board a few posts up now, very nice!!

I was actually thinking whether the higain Legend II preamps - R2, S2, P2, D2 etc might kick my Blackstar LT-Metal (and others?) off my board.

I see from the video you use the 3 preamps into the Disaster Area switcher (DPC-5?)
It's the DPC-8EZ. In the video, it is switching 4 preamps (the AC-30 Top Boost channel is externalized). Since that video, I capped it off with the AMT C2 and took the BB pedal away. So, I switch the 5 preamps and have no distortion or OD pedals (just a couple boosts)

Quote:
Very nice tones, P2 sounds very cool - would like to do a shootout of the P2/R2 and D2 - not really looked at the C2 though!
I haven't had the R2 or D2 (suddenly we are talking about Star Wars?). The P2 is pretty friggen bad a$$ at delivering the high gain 5150 sound. That's the 2nd amp I was originally looking to replace when I got started with these AMTs.

The C2 isn't an ultra-tight high gain sound like the P2. It's still articulate, but warmer. It's a bit more versatile as well at a low gain setting. (but I'd still call it a medium to high gain preamp).

Quote:
As you can see I've got a Musicomlab switcher, and think I'd be able to set up a something similar easily enough (although I can't always rely on having my own amp for gigs, so the clean channel would be the F-1 likely)

My only concern going down this route would be how to still use the cabinet emulation for each 'channel' in my rehearsal IEM setup - the V1 and F1 both have a switch which is great, but the Legend 2 series have separate outputs...
I've thought about this as well. Since I externalize the preamp in the AC-30, if I didn't have the AC-30 I'd need a substitute clean channel. If the amp I am using has an fx loop, I can just externalize it's clean channel the same way. (I bring along a Vox Night Train head as back up). However, not every amp has the same control with the Master volume that the AC-30 has. (I can explain that more, but basically without the Master volume control on the amp after the fx loop, each AMT preamp's volume would need to be adjusted).

The easy solution is what you have surmised. Put an F1 or V1 in place of the amp's preamp and never worry about it. If I really had to, I could knock the drive of the existing V1 down and add an OD pedal. Would require a little re-patching though.

I have spaced stuff on my board so that I can re-patch the Legend II pedals to cab sim if required. But I also have a cab sim at the end of my chain in the form of an option on the BigSky. I didn't really plan that, it just happened. Not that I'm really looking to do either of these, it's an emergency route for me, though I have used it this way at rehearsals. (btw, I use CabSim at our shows, but in the form of a Radial JDX between the power amp and the external speaker cab ... I think CabSims are fine in this day and age. I still enjoy having the amp behind me though.).

Quote:
I'm very interested in exactly how you have this setup wired up - I'm assuming you must use some kind of ABY switcher to route between the Vox power amp input (V1,O2, P2) and the Vox AC30 clean channel input??
You're in luck. Before going to this system, I did a test on a smaller scale to help a fellow slut and made a video for him. I had the 2 AMT preamps sitting around unused. After making the video is when I realized the answers to my own live rig questions were right in front of me. This is exactly what I'm doing:

Quote:
I'm also assuming that you have the V1,O2,P2 in the DPC loops using the 'preamp out' output? Again, not being able to always guarantee my own amp, I may have the possibility at times of having to use an amp that has no FX Loop (therefore no power amp in). From what I understand of the Legend 2 series,all the preamps should use the 'drive out' output when going in to the front of an amp - which would mean potentially changing connections on a tight board, which the Musicomlab setup is designed to completely avoid!!

My thinking on this would be that I would use each preamp in 'drive out' mode, with a final preamp going into the power amp like I have now - however I think this would mean that I wouldn't get the 'best' out of each pedal - they would each get the tone of that final preamp (e.g.M-1) and not their own.
I think that is spot on. I think I said in the vid, the Drive mode is as good as any other distortion pedal I've tried, but the preamp mode is where these shine. My rig doesn't have any consideration for using the Drive outputs. I'd go CabSim before that.

Quote:
Another complication on my board is I use the Mobius Pre/Post feature a fair bit - how do you factor that into these pedals?
Good call. I've been using the Mobius Pre/Post since I first got that pedal. The trick for me is having an insert point on the DBC-8EZ. That means I can move anything that comes after the insert point to either Pre or Post. Back when I was relying on OD pedals more, I could only move my OD pedals. The Mobius was before my amp's own channels. Now I can move all my preamps to PRE/POST, including the AC-30 preamp, so it actually turned out better this way. At first, I was in a dilemma because the insert point of the DPC was between loops 4 & 5, and I had 5 preamps, then I remembered the DPC allows you to move the insert point. Moved it between 3 & 4 and I was in business. It's like I planned it, but in truth, this system all came together from parts of another system that just happened to have all the right features I needed. It really came on like a revelation, and I probably wouldn't have done it except it turned out I had everything I needed already.

Quote:
Appreciate your thoughts!
Whew.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
how do i run the pedals as preamps into just the power section of my amp?

what's the difference between doing this and using them as standard distortion boxes in front of my amp?

Joe Porto's answer is spot on. But in the post above this one to Gollumsluvslave is a video that will show you the exact hookup I use on a smaller scale.

The difference between this and running distortion pedals is each preamp stands on its own. They can all be adjusted without impacting one another. In the distortion-before-amp scenario, if you decide you want to change the EQ of your clean channel, it also impacts your distortion pedal sounds. And then you may not have satisfactory EQ in the pedal to get it back to the way you like it (to compensate for your preamp adjustments). There is also less guess work in choosing which preamps to buy. The many distortion pedals and subsequent hype/hate advocates is because they've either hit gold by having the right combo of distortion pedal and amp, or they tried it and it didn't work so well (even trying the same pedal). Distortion pedals are either made with a certain expectation to be plugged into a certain kind of amp, or they are designed to be uber-flexible to fit in any situation. The widely heralded solutions are good and flexible that most people can find use for, or a combination of pedal and amp that, over time, have been acknowledged as a good fit (AC-30 + HotCake). It all can be a game of whack-a-mole. I avoided that before by using 2 amps live.

A preamp though doesn't have the expectation to go before a myriad of other guitar preamps, but into a power amp. There are differences in power amps, of course, but it's easier to get the result you want with just a preamp and power amp selection (like choosing any amp that you like, you know pretty much instantly).

Also this way, if you really like your AC-30 overdriven, but want to add a clean channel, you can do that. Can't put a "clean pedal" if front of a distorted amp.

I wouldn't recommend this to everybody. It works for me and the type of gig I play. I play another type of gig where it is just my guitar, its volume knob, a 5150 amp blue channel and a couple pedals. It's all in context.

Last edited by Joe_K; 21st February 2015 at 09:11 PM..
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOTS OF COOL STUFF
Many thanks for that Joe, plenty of food for thought!

My ideal setup would be to use the last 4 loops of my EFX and have 4 Legend amps - I'd maybe be like F1, V1, M1 (or M2|O2 maybe) and then a high gain R2D2 (lols).

That would be a mighty fine setup for me, and I'd still have my Nova Drive to give me the flexibility that it has.

The big sticking point for me in this is those inevitable scenarios where I have to use an amp with no FX Return; I don't drive and can't always take my amps to all gigs - most of the time I will be fine as most house amps will have a loop, but I'd hate to be out of luck... if it happended I'd have to rewire 2 of the pedals to use the Drive Out instead of Preamp Out(the V1 and F1 have switches which are much easier)

Depending on how the board was wired up this might be easy enough to accomplish.

I'm going to see how things go with the V1 at the next few rehearsals and gigs - on the whole I think the V1 is more consistent with my pedals, and all the M1 sounds great in the IEM, it's a bit bright when out loud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search