The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
Yeah, I try out each patch I create pre and post just to see if I might be missing something cool. Generally speaking, filters and any thing that uses an auto envelope ends up being before dirt for me. Everything else is just by ear.
Filters are triggering response so I always put those front, wah as well.
Some run dirt into filter pedals or even Octave type pedals which anything can produce a tone but seems like that screws up the tracking. Gets confusing at times. Roger Mayer says Jimi had his Octavia after the Fuzz but man that does not sound very good, maybe it was a buffer issue with the octavia back in the day as old fuzz hates buffers (low Z). I think if a device like a harmonizer or pitch altering pedal tracks better and is more able to manipulate the signal cleaner than all fuzzed up. I mainly use my Whammy V for harmonizer modes so I have it before any sense of dirt. Fuller says put the Octavia unit up front before any buffer. Since most modern pedals produce a buffered type low impedance output that becomes problematic as well. Seems like all you get these days is a polemic opposite opinion which does not solve the problem.

Anyway, gets to be puzzling when you get a large board going.

Variable pedals for me are the Phaser and Vibe.

I started putting the Vibe before overdrives or gains via Robin Trower and seems to be the popular thing. I also have my wah after the Vibe like Trower as it seemed to sound thinner in front but it also is before any sense of dirt.

Hendrix Vibe was end of chain as was early Trower but the old Univibe had a crappy buffer that had to go end of chain as they only had hi impedance fuzz and no overdrives back in that age, so options were few back then, not like now where we get a million variable options.
A good modern bypass Vibe can be placed in different places which changes its entire character. I pretty much have mine before OD or any gain. But I am after a more massive Trower warble into feedback tone. Cleaner Hendrix stuff I think can be done Vibe after.

The Phaser I get befuddled at times as I would like to be able to move it as sometimes I like after OD or gains and sometimes it does well in front. Most these days seem to be placing them before. You guys have me wanting to move my Vibe again and try it but I am getting such a great Trower tone right now, but that phaser seems like every time I move it I regret changing it, maybe just get two??
Old 6th June 2014
Here for the gear

Old 6th June 2014
Here for the gear

My set

Haha I didn't have a real pedals and set at this moment,

But JamUp/BIAS give me varity options,

In the set I got Tube Drive, Cry baby, RV-5 , some of my favorite
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Any of you players having a love hate thing with the modulation like I get all the time?
Sometimes I can handle the Phaser in front of overdrive or gains but sometimes I miss the better definition and articulation having it after. Seems like the Vibe is fine before OD but it can go after as well. I guess switching things around once in a while is a good way to get out of a rut.

Not sure if any of you cats have tried out a VoodooLab Giggity but what a cool idea in pedals. Billed as not an overdrive or a booster but an "Analog Mastering Preamp" I marvel out how it can absorb what goes into it and alter the EQ voicing without screwing up the quality of the other pedal. Very cool. What it can do to a fuzz is uncanny. Turns any fuzz into a 1000lb violin Eric Johnson thing. For a mere $129 probably the best buy and bang for the buck pedal I have ever got. Even though my drives are top shelf quality the Giggity does not mess them up but rather offers more spectrum of EQ to mess with. Say you get the best tone out of drive it can muster but you could stand a little more low end or perhaps a little more sparkle on the high end, presto.
Just FYI for an interesting pedal I had missed when it came out. Here is a review I did of it.
Voodoo Lab Giggity
Very good summary of the awesomeness of the Giggity. I found this when i was searching stuff like "getting studio sound live."

I had trouble at first deciding if it ahould be atvthe beginning or end of the chain. But ended up at the end. It evens out, if you will, some of the unwanted extremes that i sometimes generate downstream.
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear
My lastest MID 2014 board chainges:

Extensive chain order testing and selecting my drives which are capable of any order of stacking. More options to paint with for me it is the fun of playing. Kick on various combinations and the whole ballgame changes.
Not that anyone should care but I like reading on how others do chains:
Fulltone OF2 (only octave on) >>
Korg Pitchblack (bypass) >>
Radial PB1 (always on front end buffer and slight clean boost option, high end buffer lifts loading from rest of chain) >>
Xotic Robotalk2 >>
Wampler Compressor (comp low blend 10:00)>>
Whammy V (bypass, polyphonic mostly for harmonizer modes)>>
Lovepedal Kalamazoo (wonderful dr, bumped the Klon, pos here just to have a more up front dr option)>>
Fulltone MDV3 Vibe (perhaps an underated but dead on rendering vibe ask Trower, needs to go before dirt)>>
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe (wah sounded best after vibe more full, when it doubt hint from Trower via vibe-wah-drives)>>
Wampler Ecstasy Drive (3 mode drive, stacks beautifully)>>
Lovepedal AMP 11 (custom black Prymaxe ver) >>
Wampler Plexi Dr >>
Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe >>
MXR EVH Phase 90 >> (script mode, get better articulation after the high gain) >>
Voodoo Lab Giggity >> (best unknown coolness in the magic pedal forest)
Upper shelf: tc X4 in stereo loop, Midi switcher and Lexicon on/offs
All my various drives are set w relatively low gain as when you stack and combine the gain on two pedals increases. I can stack just about any combination into each other and a whole new voicing result but retaining articulation. I designed this board for range of heavy fusion tones as well as a great heavy Trower, Jeff Beck, and Pagey rendering. I can get lost on this rig often playing for hours running through so many tone options.
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Very good summary of the awesomeness of the Giggity. I found this when i was searching stuff like "getting studio sound live."

I had trouble at first deciding if it ahould be atvthe beginning or end of the chain. But ended up at the end. It evens out, if you will, some of the unwanted extremes that i sometimes generate downstream.
I freakin' love mine. Yeah, end of chain is where it can do the most mastering it was intended.
For a mere $129 players who dig cool pedals are missing a major different magic pedal here. No matter how great my drive tone might be adding in the Giggity to master the overall EQ voicing just makes it better. Sounds nice by itself as well. Much more than one might presume to just use an EQ, absorbs and morphs whatever you put into it and I have not found anything it does bad to the tone.
A very quality made and sounding pedal. For the bucks it is a steal.
Old 12th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hey, first post! My main board:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...psotda4ov4.jpg

Tommy.
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziess View Post

Tommy.
Out of curiosity, where do you have the two analog delays in relation to one another in your signal chain? Do you use two delays for different settings? Do you use them simultaneously?

I'm always intrigued by people using more than one delay, mainly because I would never choose to do that.....

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 12th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs View Post
Out of curiosity, where do you have the two analog delays in relation to one another in your signal chain? Do you use two delays for different settings? Do you use them simultaneously?

I'm always intrigued by people using more than one delay, mainly because I would never choose to do that.....

Cheers,
Jeff
The chain is Wah > Fuzz Probe > Phaser > Tuner > Klon > Fuzz Factory > TS808 > OD855 > IC Big Muff > AD80 > Freeze > AD900 > Tremorama > Flint > Box of Rock > 2880 Looper.

The AD80 is much crunchier (in a good way) than the AD900. The AD900 also has significantly more delay time. I like to set the AD80 right on the edge of too much crunch and use it for rhytmic delays. The AD900 gets used for more dreamy longer delays. Quite often I'll set the AD80 for a short delay with only one or two repeats (think Jeff Tweedy on A Ghost is Born) and get a multitap delay by setting the AD900 longer. The Freeze is positioned so I can hold the crazy noises the AD80 makes at the longer end of it's range. I can then delay these through the AD900. They sound quite different, though both are great in their own way. If I had to choose I'd pick the AD80.

Tommy.
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Addict

Here is my now pretty stable board

Chain is
Voodoo Giggity - preamp.....................adjust EQ for different spaces. (still can't decide for sure if it is best at begin or end of chain)
MI Audio Compressor - compressor
Earthquaker Organizer - Organy sounds, octave up and down. I do prefer the POG2's flexibility, and still have it, record with it, but it is so big.
Moog Minifooger Drive - usually used for higher gain/fuzz.............this is a really really versatile pedal though FYI
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine - usually medium gain
EHX Soul Food - basically my crunch channel...........At higher levels can get noticeable overdrive, but I don't use it that way. Keep gain under 9 o'clock
Strymon El Capistan - delay..............also tape sim (on really short delay settings)
Zoom CDR - For crazy ****. CDR is Chorus, Delay, Reverb, but has some pretty out there capabilities in that you can have up to 6 effects at once (5 if you wanna be able to shut them off all at once with your foot)
Zvex Sonar - tremolo.............This guy just sounds great. I hate the horizontal orientation, but it is worth it.
Mixer - cause I will also usually have a synth and sometimes play accordion.

All but mixer powered by a VoodooLabs Digital under the board.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs View Post

Cheers,
Jeff
Edge used to work that out I have no idea how one works out the timing without losing the groove. Some modern delays have two interactive delay lines but it still seems difficult to use. I find my X4 (or anything else) that can do both dotted 8th and quarter notes at the same time renders that U2 thing and you can hold your sense of timing and groove. Now Satch for a period mabve still does uses a long and short delay unit but not sure he ever hits them both. It can work to be sure but has to be some space in there to avoid too much going on.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Here is my now pretty stable board

Chain is
Voodoo Giggity - preamp.....................adjust EQ for different spaces. (still can't decide for sure if it is best at begin or end of chain)
MI Audio Compressor - compressor
Earthquaker Organizer - Organy sounds, octave up and down. I do prefer the POG2's flexibility, and still have it, record with it, but it is so big.
Moog Minifooger Drive - usually used for higher gain/fuzz.............this is a really really versatile pedal though FYI
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine - usually medium gain
EHX Soul Food - basically my crunch channel...........At higher levels can get noticeable overdrive, but I don't use it that way. Keep gain under 9 o'clock
Strymon El Capistan - delay..............also tape sim (on really short delay settings)
Zoom CDR - For crazy ****. CDR is Chorus, Delay, Reverb, but has some pretty out there capabilities in that you can have up to 6 effects at once (5 if you wanna be able to shut them off all at once with your foot)
Zvex Sonar - tremolo.............This guy just sounds great. I hate the horizontal orientation, but it is worth it.
Mixer - cause I will also usually have a synth and sometimes play accordion.

All but mixer powered by a VoodooLabs Digital under the board.
Giggity works front for sure I even like it by itself, nice sounding pedal but for full on mastering capability of the main tone works best end of chain. I am very happy with mine but a amazing pedal for only $129, I never get anything that low price, outstanding quality.
By the way thanks so much for the detail, most of the time I cannot tell what some pedal are from just pics much less the chain.
FYI I saw where JHS does a mod on the Soul Food, worth checking out if you like that pedal. Guy does great mods.
Old 18th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hello!
This is mine

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...0&d=1403100984
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard.jpg  
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Cool board! List the pedals. Any of them modded like maybe the chorus?
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear
Just FYI for you cats who like to use some of the more basic pedal line pedals like Boss or EH check out Keeley or JHS they do relatively low cost mods on a lot of those pedals which improves the crap out of them, turnaround is very fast. Just saying. Sort of renders a stocker into more a boutique level pedal, you'll like the difference.
Probably some other mod'ers out there but I have used these and was very pleased with the result. Robert Kelley does mods for a lot of names. Good stuff.
Old 20th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Cool board! List the pedals. Any of them modded like maybe the chorus?
Thank you pal!
My pedals, from right to left:
1) Wha Wha Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
2) Ernie Ball Volume
3) Booster customized by a small italian boutique
4) MusicomLAB EFX MK III looper
5) Delay TC Electronics Nova Delay

Up, from left to right:

1) Tube Drive Chandler with bias
2) The rat and the long tale (customized distorsion pedal based on Proco Rat)
3) BB Preamp
4) Arion Chorus SCH-Z modded by EWS
5) Boss GE7 Equalizer
6) Wampler Faux Spring Reverber
7) A/B box

in the middle:

1) The smaller: Lovepedal Vibe
2) Polytune TC electronics
3) MXR Flanger
4) MXR Phaser
5) Compressor customized by an italian boutique, based on Dynacomp.

Look forward to have your feedbacks
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandi73 View Post
Thank you pal!
My pedals, from right to left:
1) Wha Wha Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
2) Ernie Ball Volume
3) Booster customized by a small italian boutique
4) MusicomLAB EFX MK III looper
5) Delay TC Electronics Nova Delay

Up, from left to right:

1) Tube Drive Chandler with bias
2) The rat and the long tale (customized distorsion pedal based on Proco Rat)
3) BB Preamp
4) Arion Chorus SCH-Z modded by EWS
5) Boss GE7 Equalizer
6) Wampler Faux Spring Reverber
7) A/B box

in the middle:

1) The smaller: Lovepedal Vibe
2) Polytune TC electronics
3) MXR Flanger
4) MXR Phaser
5) Compressor customized by an italian boutique, based on Dynacomp.

Look forward to have your feedbacks
That wah is not a black deluxe but a white std Clyde, Trower uses that one, nice wah. I like my Deluxe. When it comes to a Vibe hard to beat the photocell cell Deja by Fulltone as well. I get the board room thing but the phaser vibes are not as cool as the photocell circuits. Pickle is a modified Phase 90.
The Vibe sounds better before OD, just saying, can't tell.
I am not really understanding your chain order apparently running through a midi selector??
Old 20th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
That wah is not a black deluxe but a white std Clyde, Trower uses that one, nice wah. I like my Deluxe. When it comes to a Vibe hard to beat the photocell cell Deja by Fulltone as well. I get the board room thing but the phaser vibes are not as cool as the photocell circuits. Pickle is a modified Phase 90.
The Vibe sounds better before OD, just saying, can't tell.
I am not really understanding your chain order apparently running through a midi selector??
Hi there,
Sorry but the Wah is a white Clyde deluxe, not a standard.

This is the chain:
Guitar in the A/B box=>Wha=>Compressor=>Boost=>Looper
(In loop I have the 2 OD, Distorsion, Chorus, EQ, Flanger+Phaser.)

After Looper=>Delay=>Vibe=>Revember=>A/B box=> Ampli.

I don't use Vibe with OD or distorsion, that's why I don't care where to place it

Thanks
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

It's a great selection of pedals, Dandi73. A nice range of drive pedals and modulations and with a precise delay. The pickle vibe is my fav univibe that is not photocell based. It's got a great character, especially on clean guitar. I am interested in the univibe that is phaser based made by F pedals (an Italian pedal designer) in collaboration with Eddie Kramer and sounds good clean or driven.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Head

Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi there,
Sorry but the Wah is a white Clyde deluxe, not a standard.

This is the chain:
Guitar in the A/B box=>Wha=>Compressor=>Boost=>Looper
(In loop I have the 2 OD, Distorsion, Chorus, EQ, Flanger+Phaser.)

After Looper=>Delay=>Vibe=>Revember=>A/B box=> Ampli.

I don't use Vibe with OD or distorsion, that's why I don't care where to place it

Thanks
My black Deluxe has an input volume knob and a 3 mode switch select on the right side, on the left side side an output level knob and bypass/special buffer option switch. What does the "deluxe" imply on the white one? Trower has a white std with no features.

Thanks for the chain clarification I like to understand how others are chaining things it is often quite fascinating.
Old 21st June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
My black Deluxe has an input volume knob and a 3 mode switch select on the right side, on the left side side an output level knob and bypass/special buffer option switch. What does the "deluxe" imply on the white one? Trower has a white std with no features.

Thanks for the chain clarification I like to understand how others are chaining things it is often quite fascinating.
Hi Dark,
It is quite the same, just your is black, mine is white.
If you try to zoom my pic, you should see I have too the knobs for volume and setup.
But mine has not the knob for the buffer.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_1296.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Dark,
It is quite the same, just your is black, mine is white.
If you try to zoom my pic, you should see I have too the knobs for volume and setup.
But mine has not the knob for the buffer.
Sorry never knew there was a white model, though it was the std Trower uses that has no options, did not see the right side. I stand corrected.

The addition of the buffer/bypass switch and level on the left are apparently more recent developments.
Old 27th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziess View Post

Tommy.
Nice!
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1407 View Post
So, can you offer what some of these are, no way I can tell.
Old 28th June 2014
Here for the gear

Here is mine, super simple, but does the job man.

Old 29th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nice!
Thanks! It's a real cool setup. I have tons of pedals but for a large part of what I play these are the ones that have stuck. I find the multiple boost/overdrives at the start of the chain really useful, I can set them just a little bit crunchy and layer them to produce a wide variety of tones. The OD855 is seriously awesome, by the way, I like it even more than my TS-808 (which is an original which shows you how good the 855 is). The guitar is a '54 Gretsch Duo Jet which is my all time favourite guitar. I rotate amps a lot but when that picture was taken I was plugged into my '62 Fender Deluxe, a really nice creamy sounding amp.

Tommy.
Old 29th June 2014
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

PT2 and Mobius arrived on Sat morn
Time to reconfig boards, lots of cable stripping/soldering next week, lol

Top: Fusion/Atmospheric/Ambient (soon TCE AEx4 to replace DL4)
Middle: Acoustic
Bottom:Compact OD
Shopping list: EHX B9

Old 4th July 2014
Just got the BOSS GT-100

http://http://www.bossus.com/gear/pr...ProductId=1187

It took several days of playing with it to get it. It's got quite a bit more then I will ever use. Very "tweakable", and I like that I can edit through my MAC.

Truly, it is over kill for me but I love equipment and I cherish beautiful guitars.

I've been dabbling with getting the IRIG PRO. Looks portable and easy.

I perform at nursing facilities, art shows, parties and am trying to ease the load. I've just gotten my drum beats onto an iPhone/Garageband to get rid of the ALESIS SR-16. I usually take the BOSE, Xenyx 1622, one of my guitars and the drum machine.

My equipment list;
BOSE T1 compact
Behringer Xenyx 1622
Garageband for drums/rhythm
Zoom Q-4
Zoom R-16
Fender Rumble
Voicelive Play
Alesis sr-16
Boss RC-30 loop station
Fender uke
A few microphones, several various effects pedals

GUITARS AS OF NOW:
Taylor's T-5,
456ce SLTD 12-string
1972 Guild F512 (my pride and joy)
Fender 1972 American Tele
Martin JC-16RGTE
Michael Kelly acoustic bass.

Youtube.com/daerney

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search