The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Never understood the tap dance thing. I might kick on a single pedal out of a board which is capable of vast diverse tones. If things present that much of a problem you can always get a switching system for one button presets with the advantage of higher end pedals over generic.
Most are not looking for the pedal of the week we are just out to improve or change the boring aspect of sounding the same all the time.
Most of my changes are one pedal, at the most maybe 3 to turn on my Trower chain which stays on while using that tone structure. No big deal. I have this issue if I want to play in the vein of Jeff Beck, Trower, Pagey, or anyone else I like the guitar to sound like it.

The problem I always had with my board is keeping drunk idiots away from it. Looked down one time when I was using a Roland Synth combination and some fat cow was standing on my midi cable. I stay pretty close to my rig now a days, maybe can't run across the stage but that is sort of campy anyway. Pedals just make playing fun and expand the range of the guitar beyond the same bland playing.
I've used a BOSS ME5 since 88, when I bought it new. I actually replaced it last year with another one, not that I think about it. We were playing a gig in a big tent. Everyone was having a helluva good time. This one guy had to be 6'6 and closer to 400lbs, a freaking GIANT!! He was having a blast, dancing, definitely feeling no pain. He stumbled back, tripped and sat straight down in my ME5.

Put a big dent in it. It still worked, but I picked up a replacement off eBay, then I transferred all my settings over via MIDI.

Here's a pic, you can see the dent.

Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never understood the tap dance thing.
I try to keep it simple, but I like variety. This is the live board I've been using for about a month or so now. I have a Clean/Dirty switch that either puts the Zendrive plus SL OD in the chain, or the SP Compressor, and I have a switch on the upper right that puts the Multiplexer, Pollinator and Q-tron in the chain. The A/B switch goes directly to my main amp, or through the Ditto and to a second amp for loops.

I can get quite a few sounds, but with a little planning before a song, am only one click to change things up, and I don't need a large switcher, which would take up nearly half the board.

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-photo.jpg
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Yep, that happens. I had problems in the rehearsal room as it had no stage and became more a party scene. I learned to keep my rig out of the forefront and stay more in front of it to ward off the stumbling bumbles.
Having an easy preset board has its advantages for sure and I like some of those multi units, when to comes to Boss the multi unit is probably better than having a whole bunch of the Boss pedals, at least a whole bunch of buffers you do not want in the chain. I tried a lot of those units over the eons, many came and went. For the money and ease of use you cannot beat some of them.
I prefer my more complex rig but it is not a plug an play autopilot rig.
I think some feel pedals are to cover up bad playing but I have never got that, in all cases my rig makes things sound better and it requires even more finesse and technique much less knowing how things work and why. I think some pedal haters imagine all we do is get an over the top delay going and make loop noises. So not what I am doing.
The Multi's are also better if you're one of the drinking players or get too wasted to fly the plane. The ease of setup is also much to be said. As I spend time getting my rig setup and sound checking. Also it was kind of fun watching the more stoned dig my board lights in the dark. I remember when I had a Snarling Dogs Wah, that thing amazed them, glows in the dark and glowing red LED eyes, coolest pedal I ever had.

I sort of mellowed out on the partying thing after picking my other guitarist Jimmy off the bar floor watching him waste his life away. I stopped the alcohol years back, maybe a beer here or there and a little smoke which is all anyone ever needed. I am retired now from playing out and I miss the fun but not the sad wings of destiny.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think some feel pedals are to cover up bad playing but I have never got that, in all cases my rig makes things sound better and it requires even more finesse and technique much less knowing how things work and why. I think some pedal haters imagine all we do is get an over the top delay going and make loop noises.
I think the REAL truth behind much of the hatred for pedals is based more on not understanding them, and the unwillingness to admit that. So instead they slam on them.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear
New to GS, so consider this my introduction

Here's my T34 from Temple pedalboards. I'm waiting on a Disaster Area controller for the 3 Strymon units, and I'll probably add a compressor at some point. I play teles and a strat through a '64 Bandmaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-ao_t34.jpg  
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
I think the REAL truth behind much of the hatred for pedals is based more on not understanding them, and the unwillingness to admit that. So instead they slam on them.

Using pedals properly is a technique. I have seen many just strum using a pedal and not at all connected to how it envelopes and becomes a part of the dynamics and feel. You actually play the pedal like the guitar, the touch and feel of what it is doing is so different to a straight guitar. I used to marvel at players wanting to try out my guitar synth I was using some time back. They would strum like an acoustic and wonder why the strings or something would not track what they were doing. No imagination for the touch of a string bow and how to play like strings.
I seriously would not play much at all if I had no pedals. I often sit around messing with my acoustic and it is only good for roughing out ideas and tends to get a little boring sounding the same all the time and hurts my damn fingers to boot.
Guitar pedals expand the capability and range of the electric guitar into infinity and for sure it can be rather impossible to encompass but having a tool that can exceed your abilities and understanding is a recipe for growth and development.
Every time I see or watch a band with a guitarist that just sounds the same all the time gets rather boring for me rather quickly. Much less the tone is not very good at all.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

Nothing really fancy here

The BCB-60 output goes straight into an Avalon V5 preamp, which is hooked to a TC Electronics Impact Twin audio interface.

Speakers are KRK VXT6 studio monitors.

Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anybody using the Wampler Velvet Fuzz?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
Anybody using the Wampler Velvet Fuzz?
From what I have heard about it, it is a winner. I would venture to say anything Wampler makes is state of the art. One of the few pedal lines I use that I never felt like they did not deliver for the money.
Fuzz is an objective thing to be sure. Brian's Leviathan and Velvet to my memory can be placed anywhere in one's chain and do not freak with a buffer in front. I've been wanting that one myself.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I have heard about it, it is a winner. I would venture to say anything Wampler makes is state of the art. One of the few pedal lines I use that I never felt like they did not deliver for the money.
Fuzz is an objective thing to be sure. Brian's Leviathan and Velvet to my memory can be placed anywhere in one's chain and do not freak with a buffer in front. I've been wanting that one myself.
I've been watching some videos and what I'm really digging is is the Big/Tight switch which seems to allow you to not only fuzz out but also a TASTY overdrive/distortion. Seems pretty versatile which means a lot to me. I don't like having a lot of gear, kind of a minimalist.

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
I've been watching some videos and what I'm really digging is is the Big/Tight switch which seems to allow you to not only fuzz out but also a TASTY overdrive/distortion. Seems pretty versatile which means a lot to me. I don't like having a lot of gear, kind of a minimalist.

There are two things I love about Wampler Pedals, they have a sense of transparency where the guitar retains its sense of identity and they are loaded with option switches and variants, they have the widest range of tones I have ever experienced in a pedal. Like my Ecstasy(Euphoria) drive, 3 separate diode config arrays in the same drive plus real tone controls that really have a wide range of adjust. Love everything I have ever gotten from Wampler.
I have not used much in the way of fuzz for a number of years, I prefer the more refined and articulate voicing of distortion units but fuzz can be fun and the newer units these days can sound really great. I have heard good things about both the Wampler fuzz pedals. I love their high gains and overdrives. He makes a killer chorus and delay as well.
Having few pedals makes life easier for sure. What I like about my rig is I can render any sort of tone I can imagine to play to whatever mood I might be in. With such infinite options it exceeds my ability to overcome its options at any given time.
When you are actively with a band you sort of have to tailor your pedals to fit the range of the music. When I was with my band there were a lot of pedals I could not use in the context of what they were into. Plus easy setup is what it is. I was never a plug in and play guy I did not mind setting up my gear as I made the basic connections easy to break down, had to carry or wheel in some stuff but when I took their heads off later on it was worth it.
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

I'm really enjoying the recent photo additions to this thread. Amazing gear!
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Nut

Here it is... Sorry it's a little blurry.

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedalboard.jpg
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Made a couple routing changes on my homemade board. Adding a new Xotic Robotalk2 required some repositioning for the best tones. There are a lot of pedals here but one has to consider they are for multiple chain configs usually only a couple will be on at time. Just for colors to alter the tones and overdrive voicings.

This is a 4'x2' figured birch 1" ply using premade 2x2s for bracing and 4"tilt.
These puppies are so easy to make, perfect board for me and I did not have cut a single piece of wood. Used Ebony stain on this one which is much better than paint. If you peal off a pedal to move it the velcro does not pull the finish off. The bottom was sealed with the red walnut danish oil I use on my guitar builds. Super strong waterproof wood glue fuses the pieces like one.
Shelf is a prefab smaller piece I just found other pieces for the right height, made no cuts, no drilling, no hassle. Love it. Best one I have made yet. Cannot buy a board big enough to suit my need to have pedals where I can reach them easy and room for any future growth. Added a 2nd PP2 this time around.
Thought about routing the power feeds from under but makes for a lot of holes that might change and can't see hiding my bricks, nice looking rascals.

Here's the chain, I like knowing these things for ideas, so maybe someone else can use the info. I know I like knowing what the pedals are as I cannot always make some out on other boards. Worked on these positions to make sure everything can stack and interact for the best options.

Whammy V(bypass & polyphonic) >> Xotic Robotalk2 >> Fulltone OF2 (fuzz dwn 8va on) >> Wampler Compressor (used to hold dwn the spike levels on the filters) >> Korg Pitchblack tuner (where you put a tuner is of no matter-bypass) >> Lovepedal custom black Amp11 (placed here for more options, love the COT50 boost on this) >> Fulltone DejaVibe MDV3 >> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah >> Lovepedal silver Kalamazoo >> PCE Klon >> Lovepedal custom OD 11 >> Wampler Ecstasy(Euphoria) OD >> Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe >> MXR EVH Phase 90 >> Radial PB1 (used for end chain buffer)
Shelf:
tc Electronic X4 Delay/Looper(in stereo effects loop) - (MIDI controller for rack unit, custom Griffin Pedals on/off for Lexicon unit)

Whammy V placed before Robotalk envelope filter to get some really cool hamonizer filter wah/whack. Very cool. Can set it on 8va dwn for a funk bass wicked tone. Using the Compressor as a spike limiter for the Whammy harmonizer, envelope and ring mod octaver on the OF2. This works so much better.
Worked on adjusting the internal options on the Robotalk2. For me, as I do not have a ham fisted hard attack I set the input buffer pad to both off and each filter freq adjust to up on the second switch. This kills for me. You cannot find anyone really talking about these internal switches so I went through them in detail today optimizing the unit. A lot of fun to play. Best envelope filter I have ever used and there are two independent filters in one box. Some do not use these or like them but man if you get them set right makes for some unique wicked funk tones. A lot of drives but some are stacked and maybe only 2 on at any one time. Just for colors and versatile tone changes. Love this board, just a hoot to play as it can range any style of tones you can imagine.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlnicoMan View Post
I'm really enjoying the recent photo additions to this thread. Amazing gear!
I love the pedalboard threads seems like there are great ones on every site I use. Great to see what others use and how they chain stuff.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Having fun on this other site, chap arguing with me that digital sampled copy effect models are just as good as the pedals. Seriously?
I guess not having really good pedals assures that one believes what they have is the best. I just could not seem to get through to him that a real photocell analog vibe sounds better than a digital model.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticFilms View Post
Here it is... Sorry it's a little blurry.

Attachment 390642
That requires some coordination. My feet are way too big for that setup. I'd step on all the pedals at once!
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerico12 View Post
That requires some coordination. My feet are way too big for that setup. I'd step on all the pedals at once!
Exactly why I lay mine out in a chain so I can reach and adjust them. My Sasquatch size 11s cannot toe into those super compact boards. They do look cool. As you can tell from my 4'x2' board I am not hurting for expansion space.

There was some discussion on other boards that some were saying pedals too close together can be noisy. Eric Johnson is a claimer of that as well. I do feel if you physically touch pedals together or cable jackets you are asking for ground loop hum. I always put a small piece of tape if I have cables touching outer covers. Some pedal types do produce a lot of rf which other pedals can magnify and cascade.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I try to keep it simple, but I like variety. This is the live board I've been using for about a month or so now. I have a Clean/Dirty switch that either puts the Zendrive plus SL OD in the chain, or the SP Compressor, and I have a switch on the upper right that puts the Multiplexer, Pollinator and Q-tron in the chain. The A/B switch goes directly to my main amp, or through the Ditto and to a second amp for loops.

I can get quite a few sounds, but with a little planning before a song, am only one click to change things up, and I don't need a large switcher, which would take up nearly half the board.

Attachment 387142
Exactly my point. I have at least a dozen pedals on my board but usually only a couple might be on at one time. So I never got that put down on tap dancing and spending all your time hitting pedals. Usually for me it's one click and go.
If I were running complex combinations I would do for a pedal switcher system
My largest chain is probably my Trower sound which is 3 to 5 pedals once on it is used for a time then click to other drives.
Say where do you use the Q-Tron? I love envelope filters myself. Had a bunch of them. Recently got into the Xotic RoboTalk2 and I love that puppy. Internal DIP adjustments make it really adjustable plus two independent and different voiced filters in one pedal. I put my Whammy V in front of mine to get some cool 8va,4ths/5ths harmonizer stuff just kills. Funk city.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Say where do you use the Q-Tron? I love envelope filters myself. Had a bunch of them. Recently got into the Xotic RoboTalk2 and I love that puppy. Internal DIP adjustments make it really adjustable plus two independent and different voiced filters in one pedal. I put my Whammy V in front of mine to get some cool 8va,4ths/5ths harmonizer stuff just kills. Funk city.
I'm quite into envelope filters as well. I've found that I get the most 'vocal' sounding filter effects when it's towards the front of the chain. The only things I would put in front of it would be a pitch-based effect (like a Whammy or the like) and/or a wah. (I find that wahs also prefer to be as close to the front of the chain as possible.) My current filter is a Lovetone Meatball. The thing is quite adjustable, and has its own effects loop, which is really interesting (I think the QTron+ has this feature.) Due to the gain swells which tend to come from larger filter sweeps, I find that I need to use a compressor set up to act like a limiter towards the end of the chain in order to keep my output levels consistent, regardless of which effect combination is active.
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-imag0433.jpg  
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs View Post
I'm quite into envelope filters as well. I've found that I get the most 'vocal' sounding filter effects when it's towards the front of the chain. The only things I would put in front of it would be a pitch-based effect (like a Whammy or the like) and/or a wah. (I find that wahs also prefer to be as close to the front of the chain as possible.) My current filter is a Lovetone Meatball. The thing is quite adjustable, and has its own effects loop, which is really interesting (I think the QTron+ has this feature.) Due to the gain swells which tend to come from larger filter sweeps, I find that I need to use a compressor set up to act like a limiter towards the end of the chain in order to keep my output levels consistent, regardless of which effect combination is active.
I usually have my wah further front but after a lot of testing and trial I have to compromise somewhat and it sort of has to be after my Vibe like Trower does his, as before just is not the same intensity. I noticed some pedals sound thin in front of others despite the position might be kosher. The wah was notably thinner before the Vibe and after just more bold and vowel like.
Normally any filter does better in front of gains, some use them after and indeed anything "works" but testing each pedal before finalizing position sometimes bends traditional thought but in general I follow the basic notions on pedal placement.

The Wampler compressor after the Whammy and Filter really helps limit the spikes and volume issues without messing up the dynamic response. I had to arrange things as well to avoid putting a buffer in front of anything which does not like them like the, Xotic filter, OF2 and I find wahs do not like buffers in front, which is why they tend to be put in front. I am for sure a filter and wah before OD or gains proponent. I use my Whammy for mostly harmonizer modes and a lower 8va, 4th/5th into the Xotic filter is just marvelous filter funk.

Indeed I had the Q-Tron Plus last year in my constant quest for the most musical filter. I find enveloping filters the most difficult pedals to use because your touch may change from session to session and you get it dialed in just right, next time is a little different.
I ended up getting a little frustrated at the Q-Tron and EH in general and gave it to my former son-in-law Bass player.
I then tried the Carl Martin unit which was not a great musically useful one, liked it had the three filters (low,band and high pass) but it was one of those filter pedals that did what it wanted verses what you want.
I considered getting a new Mutron III and I was about to drop the dime on one, and I started watching a bunch of stuff on the Xotic.
What sold me is that it has two independent filters which are voiced differently, plus it has internal DIP switch options to further customize the pedal. Bass players can adjust the pedal internally for a pure Bass pedal, which from my observation it seemed most did not know there are DIP switches inside.
Loved the sound of it right off, most fiiters just zip out and whack that you lose the real tone of the guitar, but this one was just more musically useful and it has a dry blend as well as each channel volume level. Very cool filter, Xotic has my attention.
Since I play an array of styles and tones I have to combine chains like my Trower chain w my more fusion style chain. But as I have it now I am very happy with the interactions. My first buffer is the Klon after the wah but seems to do fine. I also found my wah does not like running directly into a buffer after as it has its own output buffer when on. This last year I took a tip from this guy on his board as he completely tests each pedal as he adds to the chain checking the interaction. He found that some pedals will thin out another even when they should technically be fine. Since I started doing that my overall chain has just been so much better in stacking and interaction issues.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I find enveloping filters the most difficult pedals to use because your touch may change from session to session and you get it dialed in just right, next time is a little different.
Indeed. I run into this a lot when I set-up the effects for humbucking pickups vs. single-coils. Totally different settings with each.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs View Post
Indeed. I run into this a lot when I set-up the effects for humbucking pickups vs. single-coils. Totally different settings with each.
So true from the pickup strengths. I do find the Xotic more usable in that regard without the settings being completely off. I think I added into my review of the pedal some info on the internal DIP options, I experimented with various settings and even tried the Input Pad off. Seems like the best most vocal musical envelopes came from the input pad up on first switch. Ch A up on first switch and Ch B up on 2nd switch. A light adjust of the sensitivity is all it takes to realign the units once you get your filter sweep worked out. The added resonance control is nice to add or cut the filter trail rasp on the end. Man the funk feel and groove these puppies add to your playing is great for getting your playing out of a rut.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Hey ! I've seen a few dittos ... I'm thinking on getting one but I'm not sure whether to get something serious or a nice easy little looper like that one ...
What's your experience with ditto or ditto 2 ?
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use the Q-tron and Multiplexer together for bass synth sounds, often with the pollinator fuzz. I also sometimes use it for leads. It works well after the pollinator, as I can use my volume knob to clean up the fuzz a bit, dialing in just the right amount of envelope swell.

I also have a Q-balls:Riddle, which has some additional features, particularly attack and decay control. It is much smoother sounding, but is larger, so I keep that on my bigger studio board. It can also get some speaker blowing lows when dialed too aggressively.
Old 29th March 2014
Here for the gear

Some inspiring boards on here
Old 30th March 2014
Here for the gear

http://i61.tinypic.com/j666p4.jpg
http://oi59.tinypic.com/rhpb0z.jpg

Mine's a weird ass rig, but to be honest, we play weird ass music!

There's myself, and two other songwriters and we have to cover a lot of ground between us. The other two both play acoustic (as do I), but one also plays persussion (in the form of a cajon with loads of stuff bolted onto it (a ride cymbal, tambourine etc), and the other sits in on bass. I have to cover the weird stuff - volume swells, loops etc.

So...

From the guitar, generally my trusty old '78 Tele, the signal goes into...
  • Buffer, which also acts as an effects loop and has a tuner out. The loop goes through to...
  • Compressor
  • Vibe - I don;t really use this - should come off the board, really.
  • Treble boost. Which I only ever use stacked with the...
  • Timmy
  • Volume pedal
  • Tremolo
  • Delay
  • Reverb, which I use for epic long trails, but usually keep the mix knob back a little. It's really just for atmosphere. From here, it's back to the...
  • Buffer, which then goes out to a...
  • Looper, which I can control with a separate volume pedal and a reverse/undo switch.

This all goes out to the amp (a 65 amps Lil' Elvis), which has a Mr Springgy in the effects loop (which is generally left on at about 10 o'clock).

The other side of that board is basically a tuner and a really nice DI for my acoustic stuff.

The looper also has an amazingly useful aux out, so I can send the loop (and only the loop) out to the FOH, but more importantly, to the percussionist, so she can keep time. Works brilliantly. She puts it into a little Fishman Loudbox Mini and can control her own volume onstage.

It's a little complex and if I was in any other band, this would look totally different. Indeed, when I play at home for fun, I just run my guitars straight to the amp with a spring reverb in the effects loop!
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I use the Q-tron and Multiplexer together for bass synth sounds, often with the pollinator fuzz. I also sometimes use it for leads. It works well after the pollinator, as I can use my volume knob to clean up the fuzz a bit, dialing in just the right amount of envelope swell.

I also have a Q-balls:Riddle, which has some additional features, particularly attack and decay control. It is much smoother sounding, but is larger, so I keep that on my bigger studio board. It can also get some speaker blowing lows when dialed too aggressively.
Ain't that the truth, when I run my Whammy V on a -8va it is massive. I started using my compressor after them to help limit down the spikes. But god that heavy funk tone is to die. The only fuzz I have at the moment is the ge OF2 which I mainly like for the upper octave ring mod thing. I can see where a cool fuzz into that filter would sound really wicked. But the upper octave rig mod hates running into the filter.
I have been messing with the internals on the Xotic quite a bit trying to find the optimal config for me. I think using the harmonizer I need the input pad set for Bass to hold the signal strength. Even with just one of the DIPs on for the channel the low end just gets massive. Glad I have those Man O Wars, I think my Celestions would can blown by now.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

How about a video entry? See and hear here (first half of vid is show-and-tell, second half gets to the sound demos):

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search