The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

added a hotcake and the triple wreck. Goodbye metal muff and keeley fuzzhead.
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear
Anyone ever run into noise issues from cables touching?
I have seen arguments that having pedals too close can create a noise floor.
Anyone experience such a thing?
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Anyone ever run into noise issues from cables touching?
I have seen arguments that having pedals too close can create a noise floor.
Anyone experience such a thing?
Not seen anything so far, but I will keep it in mind as I'm busy rejigging mine after getting a Big Sky as a wee xmas present to myself

With the EFX I can't really see how to avoid cables touching though, space is tight!
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-p1000014.jpg  
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have had no noise issues since I bought my voodoo labs pedal power plus.
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
I have had no noise issues since I bought my voodoo labs pedal power plus.
I am amazed when I see nice boards or ones well on their way using "daisy chaining" for power feeds. It's about like using the cheapest cables you an find for your expensive pedals. Daisy chaining is a nice recipe for noise, and ground loop hum, some pedals tolerate it others trip out.
Voodoo Lab pretty much set the industry standard. I do wish they would offer heavy duty thicker power feed wires. Anyone seen these for purchase anywhere?
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Not seen anything so far, but I will keep it in mind as I'm busy rejigging mine after getting a Big Sky as a wee xmas present to myself

With the EFX I can't really see how to avoid cables touching though, space is tight!
I am just curious if others have discovered issues. I have always been a little anal about it and often isolate metal to metal with a piece of tape to insulate. Seeing how the shield is like the ground it seems touching them in several places might create a loop and hum. Maybe not, just wondering if anyone has noticed it.
Eric Johnson swears pedals too close together can create a noise floor as some pedals interfere with others if too close. I can see those generating Rf might be an issue. I think sometimes players get noise and they slap on a NR pedal instead of solving the problem from the source. I have seen a lot of daisy chain power supply configs using an NR to try and cut the noise they are causing.
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear
Darkhorse
Quote:
I have always been a little anal about it and often isolate metal to metal with a piece of tape to insulate. Seeing how the shield is like the ground it seems touching them in several places might create a loop and hum. Maybe not, just wondering if anyone has noticed it.
During rehearsal yesterday with my rejigged board I didn't notice any issues - space is tight on the Pedaltrain 1 for the pedals I have, so the lava jack of my MXR Boost is plumb up against the casing of the Big Sky (metal to metal), and everything was quiet - no issues; I did pushe a bit of plastic in between to test, but no discernible difference to my ears.

I used to get some issues with my old daisy chain power supply but that went away when I switched to VoodooLabs - now using a 4x4 to power the whole board. I used to use a Boss NS-2, but since switching to the Vooodoo, i've taken it out of the setup.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Darkhorse

During rehearsal yesterday with my rejigged board I didn't notice any issues - space is tight on the Pedaltrain 1 for the pedals I have, so the lava jack of my MXR Boost is plumb up against the casing of the Big Sky (metal to metal), and everything was quiet - no issues; I did pushe a bit of plastic in between to test, but no discernible difference to my ears.

I used to get some issues with my old daisy chain power supply but that went away when I switched to VoodooLabs - now using a 4x4 to power the whole board. I used to use a Boss NS-2, but since switching to the Vooodoo, i've taken it out of the setup.
Nice to know. I have always thought the cheaper popular daisy chaining of power feeds makes for noise issues. Fulltone seemed to trip out with daisy chain and others get really bad switch popping. If you spend hundreds if not thousands on good pedals seems like a decent higher end power supply is essential. I have also been using a Furman master power source for many years as using multiple wall sockets can also create loops.
Old 13th January 2014
My 'bigger' muff as used by Sepultura and others

Here's a photo of the highly sought after custom distortion pedal I made for the guitarist of Sepultura, I also made a rack mount for his touring rig, but this is the one used on the Roots Bloody Roots record etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-bigger-muff-jpg.jpg  
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiorathq View Post
Here's a photo of the highly sought after custom distortion pedal I made for the guitarist of Sepultura, I also made a rack mount for his touring rig, but this is the one used on the Roots Bloody Roots record etc.
So are you marketing this puppy?
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillon View Post
My current PB for home recording :

... and for rehearsals/gigs :

I love my Whammy V. The 4th and 5th harmonizer mode on that puppy is just amazing. Run that into a nice overdrive or gain and it is hard to stop playing.
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pb99.jpg  
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
How's the Pollinator? Does it clean up well? I'm considering getting one of those, or an Analogman Sunface.
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
How's the Pollinator? Does it clean up well? I'm considering getting one of those, or an Analogman Sunface.
Yes. That's the main reason I use it. Cleans up well, and helps the Sweet Tea and my amp clean up, as it retains the high end. Also has a lot of volume on tap compared to a standard Fuzz Face. Unity gain is w/ volume at 12:00 when fuzz is maxed.

Just got an MJM London Fuzz w/ bias control in the mail today. Need a fuzz on my second board, and figured I'd try it.

I also tried an EQD Hoof Fuzz, but sent it back because it really lost the highs when you rolled off the guitar volume. Other than that, it was an excellent fuzz that gets into smooth distortion/OD territory, just not what I was looking for.
Old 17th January 2014
Here for the gear

I think that the Way Huge Swollen Pickle petal is the best
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear
Jan2014 Tri-Amp Rig -gear addiction syndrome

Pedal board:
Wampler Compressor > Whammy V > Fulltone Clyde Deluxe > Fulltone DejaVibe MDV3 > Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria Drive > PCE KLON > Wampler Pinnacle > MXR EVH Phase90 > Lovepedal custom OD11 > Lovepedal Kalamazoo OD >>>
Radial A/B/Y (tuner out Pitchblack)
A: Rack> (Stereo L/R amp) PSA 1.1 preamp (stereo loop tx X4 delay/looper>BBE 381i)> Presonus DP dual tube preamp (XLR outs) > Lexicon MX200 > dual 15 band EQ > ART SLA-1 -100watt L/R 2-12"twin Eminence Man O War cabs
B: (Center Amp) ISP Theta Preamp Pedal Center Amp, Carvin V3 100watt tube head power amp only, Carvin 4x12 Celesion Vintage 30s
(Rack - Furman Master Power Conditioner,Board -Midi Mouse footcontroller for PSA, Griffin Effects custom dual on/offs for Lexicon)

This is a studio rig, hauling it and set up would require help. Various pedals not all used in combinations, select positions for various tones. A heavy Robin Trower chain with a heavy fusion chain.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Just finished the big board.

Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-bigpb.jpg  
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear
I'm not really one for DIY or modding, but after getting my Big Sky, I had to deal with some space issues, and the wee patchbay I got was taking up precious pedal space on my Pedaltrain 1.

Here is my solution, with help / pointers from a few other threads and blogs out there...

Four of these feedthrough connectors from Redco, and I can wire up the 4 problematic jacks on my EFX III and have a much cleaner setup.
Redco PM-TRS/TRS | Redco Audio

I also managed to snag a Pedaltrain 2 for cheap, which gives me a wee bit more space than my current PT1, and also meant that I could do the mod without messing up my current board which is setup for rehearsal, and if I botched things on the drilling side then I'd have a backup board.

I used a 25mm Hole Saw from Homebase, with a 14.4v drill; reasonably easy, though there is an annoying 'slice' of aluminium halfway down the pedaltrain for reinforcement that was a bit of a pain. The 25mm hole saw was actually a wee bit big (left it a bit tight for screws), but I was worried that the 20 mm would be too tight to get the jacks through; I'm quite certain now the 20 mm would be the best choice.

Note - I didn't upload any big close-ups, as my drilling skills are substandard to say the least, and this would be all too apparent up close!!

On the whole though, I'm quite happy - it's not the prettiest of jobs as the jacks are a bit ragged in terms of alignment, but it's practical and works!

I would be much more confident doing this a 2nd time which I likely will still do on the PT1 - the jacks are reasonably cheap, and being able to plug in flexibly at the back of the board is a huge plus for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-p1000015.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-p1000016.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-p1000017.jpg  
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear
Nice idea for the metal frame boards.
I've been making my own for the last couple years as everything was too small or the cost was ridiculous.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just finished the big board.
Nice choice of pedals. So what is the chain flow?
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice choice of pedals. So what is the chain flow?
Thanks. It's a bit different since taking the photo:

Guitar>One Control iguana Tail:

Loop 1: Octave Multiplexer (octave down)>London Fuzz
Loop 2: Q-Balls>Fulltone Wah (optional)>SC Compressor
Loop 3: Sixties Vibe>Helium (octavia)
Loop 4: Sovereign Distortion>Euphoria OD
Loop 5: JHS Charlie Brown OD

Iguani Tail Out>Wampler Tape Echo>One Control A/B>Infinity Looper Ch. 1/2

Channel 1 of Infinity goes to a BF Fender clone set clean for rhythm guitar and bass loops.

Channel 2 of the Infinity goes to Tweed Fender clone slightly overdriven for leads and lead filler loops.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks. It's a bit different since taking the photo:

Guitar>One Control iguana Tail:

Loop 1: Octave Multiplexer (octave down)>London Fuzz
Loop 2: Q-Balls>Fulltone Wah (optional)>SC Compressor
Loop 3: Sixties Vibe>Helium (octavia)
Loop 4: Sovereign Distortion>Euphoria OD
Loop 5: JHS Charlie Brown OD

Iguani Tail Out>Wampler Tape Echo>One Control A/B>Infinity Looper Ch. 1/2

Channel 1 of Infinity goes to a BF Fender clone set clean for rhythm guitar and bass loops.

Channel 2 of the Infinity goes to Tweed Fender clone slightly overdriven for leads and lead filler loops.
Nice. Have you tried the Euphoria into the Soveriegn? Curious.
I tend to run overdrives into the higher gains myself as I find the OD after changes the overall voicing structure of the high gain. Some I guess would smooth it out. I run my Ecstasy/Euphoria into my Pinnacle and that puppy just makes everything sound better. Wampler remains my top choice for pedals. Nothing pushes them off the board. Which is a hard survival arena.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wampler remains my top choice for pedals.
After hearing some clips of the Triple Wreck, and not being satisfied with the hi-gain sound of my Nova Drive, I'm really interested in it. I can't argue with the Leviathan Fuzz - it's an amazing fuzz pedal, the only reason it's not on my board right now is the band's current set list has no fuzz requirements!

But I need better tighter hi-gain for mutes and heavier tones, anyone here with experience of the Triple Wreck? Seems perfect for me.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. Have you tried the Euphoria into the Soveriegn? Curious.
I tend to run overdrives into the higher gains myself as I find the OD after changes the overall voicing structure of the high gain. Some I guess would smooth it out. I run my Ecstasy/Euphoria into my Pinnacle and that puppy just makes everything sound better. Wampler remains my top choice for pedals. Nothing pushes them off the board. Which is a hard survival arena.
Yes, I've been quite impressed with Wampler, and the three I have (Euphoria, Sovereign and Tape Echo) will remain with me.

I did have the Pinnacle, and although I thought it was a great pedal, my JHS Charlie Brown covers that same tonal territory, but just does not have as much gain (which I don't really need). When I did have the Pinnacle, I preferred the Euphoria into it.

The way the board is set up now, I still have the Charlie Brown last in the chain, and that is my main OD rhythm tone, and I can goose it with the London Fuzz (Germ. Fuzz Face Clone), the Euphoria, or the Sovereign for leads. Or I can set up a lead tone on Loop 4 between the Euphoria and Sovereign, and stomp loops 4/5 to alternate between the Charlie Rhythm and Euphoria/Soverign lead.

Or I can use the Euphoria as my main "Dumble" type OD, and goose it with the Sovereign or the London Fuzz.

The other really great thing about the Charlie and the Euphoria, is that they will both clean up with the guitar volume, even when stacked with the Sovereign or Fuzz in front, and I most often will just set one moderate to high gain sound for a particular song, and go from clean to rhythm OD to leads with the guitar volume.

The way that board is set up is really versatile in that I can set up several "fundamental" pedal combinations that cover a LOT of tonal and musical ground. It's not so much set up to do a lot of pedal dancing, as much as to be able to set up a particular pedal combination before a given song, and then alternate sounds with just a pedal click or two, or with the guitar volume.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict

New at NAMM 2014

Take her for a test ride at booth #253--
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-1471380_421663447961735_422850401_n.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Nut

Hey,

here's my minimalistic pedal board. 3 DIY pedals and a iStomp.

Umble, Fuzz-Factory and BOR (just the distortion unit = Distortron)
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-img_0128.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
After hearing some clips of the Triple Wreck, and not being satisfied with the hi-gain sound of my Nova Drive, I'm really interested in it. I can't argue with the Leviathan Fuzz - it's an amazing fuzz pedal, the only reason it's not on my board right now is the band's current set list has no fuzz requirements!

But I need better tighter hi-gain for mutes and heavier tones, anyone here with experience of the Triple Wreck? Seems perfect for me.
The Triple is probably the most intense high gain that retains note articulation and does not wash out the guitar's tone and feel.
Wampler makes for my view some of the best if not the best ODs and high gains much less pedals that sound like various amps, very cool indeed.
The boost circuit on the Triple is actually fuzz circuit that lays on top the normal dist circuit, intense. It is all in the adjustment, do read the manual to understand the control interactions. The "contour" I think is is called only works on the boost circuit when on but you will see chaps twisting this in their demos not having read the info on the pedal.
The Triple is very intense but controllable. I currently use the Pinnacle Deluxe myself as it is somewhat like a JCM800. I love that pedal, I seldom do any sort of EVH thing but it gives me the best Pagey tones I have ever gotten as is very amp sounding and in feel. Love that pedal. And the Esctasy/Euphoria remains my #1 drive choice.
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Triple is probably the most intense high gain that retains note articulation and does not wash out the guitar's tone and feel.
Wampler makes for my view some of the best if not the best ODs and high gains much less pedals that sound like various amps, very cool indeed.
The boost circuit on the Triple is actually fuzz circuit that lays on top the normal dist circuit, intense. It is all in the adjustment, do read the manual to understand the control interactions. The "contour" I think is is called only works on the boost circuit when on but you will see chaps twisting this in their demos not having read the info on the pedal.
The Triple is very intense but controllable. I currently use the Pinnacle Deluxe myself as it is somewhat like a JCM800. I love that pedal, I seldom do any sort of EVH thing but it gives me the best Pagey tones I have ever gotten as is very amp sounding and in feel. Love that pedal. And the Esctasy/Euphoria remains my #1 drive choice.
Sweet, that sounds pretty much perfect, think I'm going to have to give it a try! It never ends does it?
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw View Post
Hey,

here's my minimalistic pedal board. 3 DIY pedals and a iStomp.

Umble, Fuzz-Factory and BOR (just the distortion unit = Distortron)
How do you like the umble? Was thinking of building one.
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaz View Post
How do you like the umble? Was thinking of building one.
I like it!

It is a bit picky with amps and guitars (I like it best with single coil and british crunch amps) but it has a unique OD/fuzzy tone.

Here's a video I made: RunOffGroove Umble Guitar Pedal Demonstration - Watch Free Videos about everything Guitar: Lessons, Demos and much more!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search