The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th August 2013
Gear Nut

Man clean-ish amps is pretty Vague terms no offense lol, When I Think of clean I think of GEC Kt88s or the old Tung-sol 6550s or the GE 6550As, the GE has better bass reproduction in my opinion as well as better mids, but the Tung-sol hands down has one of the best High Frequency reproduction/transparency, they have always had that hauntingly realistic characteristic to them. KT88s have always been different they sound just like a big cleaner EL34, while the alleged 6550 sounds like a big clean 6l6 it depends really. the Wider Frequency response from the bigger glass just emphasizes that clean nature. Another thing that is interesting with them is running them at lower Plate voltages say 400-430v And biased/dissipated nothing crazy rather low actually say just like a EL34/6l6, they sound even more clean and the under-biased crossover characteristic from other glass, you don't hear it the same way. Output transformer design/ratings also contribute largely the Clean range/headroom you could have, if you have one, say over-speced as **** and you are running pretty damn close primary loads its rather difficult for it saturate in turn making everything sound cleaner. or say when you start mismatching loads it really gets interesting lol different harmonic content really comes out, tube configuration operating at different and not exactly ideal curves it adds some cool character lol, Oh and Negative Feedback contributes largely with just any type of tone be it clean or distorted, More of it will sound cleaner maybe not as loud but the cleaner/dampening effect and "correct" even order harmonics will get emphasized, now when you start getting less and less - feedback it gets louder but looser/wider some say RAW, But 3rd order harmonic/harmonic defects can start taking over that can be really nice for Complex Higher frequencies, but no so much at all for low frequencies. I like more feedback than less honestly to keep the low end from being too loose but I don't like too much though, too much it just sounds weird because the phasing/time delay it sounds kinda like crossover.
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Head

Old 21st August 2013
Gear Guru

El Capistan. Great name.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear
Love this thread. Always seeing some pedal I have never heard of before.
Psionic Audio, that's a new one for me, what a bloody cool name.
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear Nut
Wet reverb best reverb ever made IMHO

what about the Providence 80' delay? always wanted to get one, is it good? what's your use for it?
Old 23rd August 2013
Here for the gear

Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear
Nice!
I just got the Theta Preamp today myself. You got some serious gear here.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

My humble mini pedaltrain boards

Bottom board : Monteallums modded CS3, BD 2 and Allums OD 308 (all self DIY), original Hermida Zendrive.
Second board : apart from the Okko TwinSonic (current fav OD), the rest are the usual entry level culprits

Old 24th August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIndustrial View Post
Might I ask, BlackIndustrial - what are your feelings on the Pigtronix Infinity? Also, what precisely is the control pedal you have for it? I haven't seen one of those before.

I'm torn between the Infinity and the EHX 45,000 with controller. Both of them are right around the same price, fairly similar feature sets, it just seems to me that the 45,000 is a bit more flexible. After seeing a controller plugged into your Infinity, I'm no longer sure of that. If you would be so kind as to share your feelings on that pedal it would be greatly appreciated, also if you could detail a little about how you mainly use it. If you've happened to try a 45,000 as well, more the better!

Cheers!
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear
I am curious about the signal chain path as well.
And how is that Mission Engineering Wah?
Old 26th August 2013
Here for the gear

My selfmade pedalboard.

Old 27th August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodez View Post
Wet reverb best reverb ever made IMHO

what about the Providence 80' delay? always wanted to get one, is it good? what's your use for it?
I agree. It really is the the best reverb pedal ever made.
Have tried the Blue Sky and Space and just kept wanting to come back to the Wet. Had the old mono version before and just got the stereo not long ago. The ability to have a second sound in there (shimmer for me) is a huge selling point/advantage.

The Delay 80's is real cool. The "echo hardness" knob is what makes it really awesome. It's basically a frequency/tone knob that can take you from a fairly lo-fi tape sound to an 80's pristine clean. I personally use it as more of a tape delay emulator. In conjunction with the El Capistan, it's just awesome.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

My latest home made board. A little down sizing but more optimum pedal choices.

Figures, one day after I shot this, I swapped the Wampler out for my custom Black AMP Eleven with the COT50, and moved the Klon drive after the DejaVibe.
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Nut

Wow, this thread just passed the 6 year mark and keeps on going! Guess I picked a good topic!
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear
Oh yeah, it's a great one! What's not to like?
I started one on fav guitars last year, it has gotten huge.
I thought I had a fair amount of money in my board, some of these guys must be lottery winners.
What sucks now is some of the cats do not know to compress down the size of the pics, we do not need an 8x10, compress to webpage size before you upload it.
The window is so stretched now you have to scroll across.
Mine is a 3' board, it does not need to be actual size when posting.
Old 2nd September 2013
Here for the gear

Here's my little guy!

Old 3rd September 2013
recently updated the bass pedalboard.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Wow, this thread just passed the 6 year mark and keeps on going! Guess I picked a good topic!
We love you Strat girl!
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Pretty modest low-end pedals on my board. No pictures, but my current setup

->MXR Micro Amp->DigiTech Hot Rod->Hardwire Trem/Roto->MXR Phase100->DigiDelay->MXR Smart Gate->DIY FX Loop Pedal(usually bypassed, momentary send to The Weapon->DynaComp->return)->EXH LPB-1*->MXR Blue Box-> amp.

*this one is on its way, but will be used to boost the signal going into the Blue Box to compensate for huge drop in level coming out of BBox. May end up running both LPB and BBox on another DIY loop pedal.

I need to sit down and actually tweak this too. Not exactly to my liking but it works for rehearsal, just would want it rearranged for live probably.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFi_By_Choice View Post
Pretty modest low-end pedals on my board. No pictures, but my current setup

->MXR Micro Amp->DigiTech Hot Rod->Hardwire Trem/Roto->MXR Phase100->DigiDelay->MXR Smart Gate->DIY FX Loop Pedal(usually bypassed, momentary send to The Weapon->DynaComp->return)->EXH LPB-1*->MXR Blue Box-> amp.

*this one is on its way, but will be used to boost the signal going into the Blue Box to compensate for huge drop in level coming out of BBox. May end up running both LPB and BBox on another DIY loop pedal.

I need to sit down and actually tweak this too. Not exactly to my liking but it works for rehearsal, just would want it rearranged for live probably.
A DynaComp in the amp loop?? Am I not seeing this right, everything seems to be in a reverse order?
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

It is a weird order, for sure.

The dynacomp's main use is to increase sustain of NHs through the Weapon. The only reason I use the Weapon is for noise, that's it. I just wanted extreme natural harmonics available at the push of a button, and I need to keep the NHs sustained for upwards of a minute. So for me it works. Its for noisy sludge metal what can I say? lol

Got the LPB 1 on Friday. It works wonders with the bluebox, but I'm gonna have to rig up another DIY loop for those two as well.

I'm definitely not your conventional guitar player, for sure. I've been playing for 21 years but have no training whatever. I have no idea how most people set up their boards or even why, I just try different things until it sounds right.

So if you have any suggestions, I'll try em. Not asking necessarily, but feel free to suggest away.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear
I am all for the unorthodox. I operate on a lot of that. Use what works for you and screw the opinions is my directive.
That being said I am a pedal maven of more years than I can recall (without hypnosis). My pedal order is one of a long journey of trial and error.
It also has a lot to do with the overall chemistry of your rig and the pedal interactions not to mention your hands which are all infinite variables regarding tone.
I still ponder over the best positions and try things from time to time just not to get stuck in a rut.
But in general I keep returning to the most versatile chain that allows me to punch up a wide musical range of tones.
I might be in the mood to play anything on a given day so I want my rig to be able to bring it.

It's just the Dyna is one of those compressors that made me stop using compressors for a long time.
Must be generating a noise fest for you and it has no controls over compression. Maybe that is what does it for you.
I finally got another compressor after a very long time as I heard the things it could do and I liked the issue of having control over the compressor,
even tone and the all important "blend" which allows the mix between the straight and compressed signal.
The Wampler Compressor became one of my all time fav pedals once I learned how to dial it in. If I could choose only one pedal in a must have thing, probably would be that one.
Thickens and boosts the signal while retaining a transparent quality.
Mine is upfront of the chain as a compressor tends to magnify what it hears like noise floor hiss and hum, I guess if you want more of that you run it down the chain.
I find less is more with a compressor pedal. I keep my straight signal level up and blend the compressor about 9:00.

By the way thanks to all for the massive pictures which caused the window to expand, one has to scroll across now to read anything, a huge pain.
How much effort does it take to compress the size down to a manageable realistic webpage size? Just call up the pic in the Photo Editor and resize before uploading and posting.
Freakin' god, an 8x10, really??
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah I went with the DynaComp simply because it was cheap, and since I was using it on a noise loop anyway the color of the compression is basically unimportant. I think I have it set at about 10 oclock and have the output cranked. I use it primarily for bending harmonics with my trem, and I was running into the problem of premature harmonic death without the DC. So I guess technically I'm just using it for sustain, and not any type of dynamics compression.

The only other answer was just to crank the amp louder, but my single coils didn't like that too well, and our bassist liked it less.
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear
Got to say the Wampler Compressor remains one of my fav pedals of all time. The control over the compression is great and the unit is transparent. Using the blend you get the thickening and sustain offered by the compression but blending the straight signal helps keep your tone intact at the same time. Mine stays on most of the time, front of chain. With the blend down it works well with all my drives and gains. Immediately noticeable when not on by the lack of thickness and boost quality but when on, no coloring.
A good studio compressor can be used as a limiter on final stages or recording levels but that is not a Dyna. If you want noise floor that is your puppy.
As always one should use what works for you.
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Head

the toys
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-photo.jpg  
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

n1ck, props on the Phase 100. It just doesn't get enough love, IMO.
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear
Had all the MXR phasers at one time or another. Seemed the 100 never quite got the same tone as the 90s. Nice having 4 wave toggles but it was a different puppy.
Personally I am a big fan of the MXR EVH Phase 90, it is not only bypass, with LED and power jack, but has both the Block and Script Modes of the 90 on a toggle. Remains my fav phaser, so easy to use and sounds great. Getting both versions of the 90 in one pedal with better bypass is such a win in price and tone. Vintage old ones, seriously same circuit.
Old 24th September 2013
Here for the gear
MIDI foot switch into my Axe Fx.
Old 25th September 2013
Here for the gear

latest Revision:
now it's central powered via the Pedal Juice.
i love this thing, last about 14 hours on my board.
some info: Pedal Juice
the only downside, you can't use it while recharging.

Old 25th September 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
We love you Strat girl!
Love you too anonymous internet guy!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search